FAFSA -"Do you want to answer questions about your parents?" Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kn6542

Silver

Re: FAFSA -"Do you want to answer questions about your parents?"

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:35 am

DukeHopeful wrote:But the bottom line, according to the federal government (via FAFSA) is that we are not required to release our parents' financial info. Now if a specific school asks the question, that's a different story, but in general, I would say w/o a doubt that parental info is unnecessary on the FAFSA. That's the way the gov't runs its own ship. Until I'm specifically required to, I'm not discussing anything but my own financial situation since I'm the only one contributing to law school. And to all of those that say that those with with parents who are better off financially are in a position to be better positioned if they default on their loans, that's BS. Sure, some parents might step in, but I would suspect that most parents, like mine, feel that once you have a college education, you are qualified to make your own decisions (such as taking out loans for LS) and you are old enough to handle the consequences of said decisions. Thus, no help if you default. It's unfair to categorize those who were born into a family of parents who worked very hard to achieve the level of financial success that they enjoy as students who are immune to loan debts. My parents, having come from nothing before reaching the point that they have reached today, believe that hard work and dedication are the keys to success (certainly a stretch there (sarcasm)) and this cannot be given through inheritance.

I certainly understand the advantages inherent in a middle class upraising, don't get me wrong. I am thankful for the opportunities afforded to me simply by luck of being born into the situation I was. But I also think it's naive to think that simply having wealthy parents means you are immune to dealing with any financial setbacks as a result of student loans.

[Off of soapbox]

Nobody gives a shit what you think is fair. The FAFSA is hardly a normative force, anyway. Kinda silly to appeal to what they require as an indication of what you should be allowed to do.
Unless you meet the requirements by the law school, you will need to supply them with parental info, whether on the FAFSA or the needaccess. Just fucking do it.
Last edited by kn6542 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:41 am

kn6542 wrote:
DukeHopeful wrote:But the bottom line, according to the federal government (via FAFSA) is that we are not required to release our parents' financial info. Now if a specific school asks the question, that's a different story, but in general, I would say w/o a doubt that parental info is unnecessary on the FAFSA. That's the way the gov't runs its own ship. Until I'm specifically required to, I'm not discussing anything but my own financial situation since I'm the only one contributing to law school. And to all of those that say that those with with parents who are better off financially are in a position to be better positioned if they default on their loans, that's BS. Sure, some parents might step in, but I would suspect that most parents, like mine, feel that once you have a college education, you are qualified to make your own decisions (such as taking out loans for LS) and you are old enough to handle the consequences of said decisions. Thus, no help if you default. It's unfair to categorize those who were born into a family of parents who worked very hard to achieve the level of financial success that they enjoy as students who are immune to loan debts. My parents, having come from nothing before reaching the point that they have reached today, believe that hard work and dedication are the keys to success (certainly a stretch there (sarcasm)) and this cannot be given through inheritance.

I certainly understand the advantages inherent in a middle class upraising, don't get me wrong. I am thankful for the opportunities afforded to me simply by luck of being born into the situation I was. But I also think it's naive to think that simply having wealthy parents means you are immune to dealing with any financial setbacks as a result of student loans.

[Off of soapbox]

Nobody gives a shit what you think is fair. Unless you meet the requirements by the law school, you will need to supply parental info. Just fucking do it.
Actually--- OP was asking about the FAFSA. So to answer his question, no, he does not need to provide parental info. Like I said. Also like I said, if a specific school asks for it, then you do as they wish. This answers the question posed by this thread. The rest was my own opinion, hence the soapbox reference, which negates the need for you to be so confrontational regarding my post. :D Hope you're happier in real life than you are online!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:48 am

DukeHopeful wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

[Off of soapbox]

Nobody gives a shit what you think is fair. Unless you meet the requirements by the law school, you will need to supply parental info. Just fucking do it.
Actually--- OP was asking about the FAFSA. So to answer his question, no, he does not need to provide parental info. Like I said. Also like I said, if a specific school asks for it, then you do as they wish. This answers the question posed by this thread. The rest was my own opinion, hence the soapbox reference, which negates the need for you to be so confrontational regarding my post. :D Hope you're happier in real life than you are online!
Well not putting it on the FAFSA is great and everything but it's not the only thing law schools use, so it's unclear why you are so wound up about that in particular. It won't change the outcome, which I assume is what you care about. Also, the sense of fairness of some kid applying to law school is just irrelevant. You're free to play around on a soapbox, but if you don't want anyone to comment on your rants, do them at home in front of a mirror, not where people can read them.

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:02 am

Again, the particulars of my response are based on answering the OP's original question, which deals with the FAFSA. Regardless of what a particular school requests, which I specifically address in my post by saying that if a school requests the info you are required to provide it, the FAFSA does not require your parents' financial information when applying for a J.D. program. Regardless of the value inherent in not including your parents' info on the FAFSA, it is what the OP was asking about. Hence my response to his particular question. I agree with you completely that for all intents and purposes, your parents' info is going to play a part in any decision by a school on need-based aid. But that wasn't the original question.

Additonally, I view this forum as a place for an individual with a question to gather a variety of responses and then proceed as they see fit. Therefore, while my rant may only play out entirely to my own view of a situation, that does not preclude the possibility that someone else may feel as I do. In seeking answers on this board, I feel that all opinions are relevant, as the person asking the question ultimately has his or her own interests at heart and the value of responses is inherently subjective.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04 am

DukeHopeful wrote:Again, the particulars of my response are based on answering the OP's original question, which deals with the FAFSA. Regardless of what a particular school requests, which I specifically address in my post by saying that if a school requests the info you are required to provide it, the FAFSA does not require your parents' financial information when applying for a J.D. program. Regardless of the value inherent in not including your parents' info on the FAFSA, it is what the OP was asking about. Hence my response to his particular question. I agree with you completely that for all intents and purposes, your parents' info is going to play a part in any decision by a school on need-based aid. But that wasn't the original question.

Additonally, I view this forum as a place for an individual with a question to gather a variety of responses and then proceed as they see fit. Therefore, while my rant may only play out entirely to my own view of a situation, that does not preclude the possibility that someone else may feel as I do. In seeking answers on this board, I feel that all opinions are relevant, as the person asking the question ultimately has his or her own interests at heart and the value of responses is inherently subjective.
The OP's q is aimed at a particular point. It's sort of pointless to discuss it out of context.
If you think all opinions are relevant, I'm not sure why you have a problem with mine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 am

kn6542 wrote:Nobody gives a shit what you think is fair. Just fucking do it.
This is what I took issue with, the confrontational nature of your response to my post. I have no qualms with your point regarding the overall impact one's FAFSA has on obtaining aid. In fact, from what I've read on this board, need-based aid is a very minute factor in obtaining money from a school. Therefore, it may all be irrelevant. I just didn't understand why you were so bitter about either A) my suggesting that parental info is unnecessary on the FAFSA, or B) that while many on TLS post that students with parents who are well-off are in a better position if they find themselves in a spot where their ROI has not materialized, at least some of those students (including myself) are in the same situation as those with zero parental contribution as a result of the decision by at least my parents to conclude that by the time I am 25 I am ready to fight my own battles. Especially since at my age they were in a far less advantaged position than I. This may not be reflective of your own circumstances, but it's certainly not grounds for waging a verbal war with me simply because you disagree.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:46 am

DukeHopeful wrote:
kn6542 wrote:Nobody gives a shit what you think is fair. Just fucking do it.
This is what I took issue with, the confrontational nature of your response to my post. I have no qualms with your point regarding the overall impact one's FAFSA has on obtaining aid. In fact, from what I've read on this board, need-based aid is a very minute factor in obtaining money from a school. Therefore, it may all be irrelevant. I just didn't understand why you were so bitter about either A) my suggesting that parental info is unnecessary on the FAFSA, or B) that while many on TLS post that students with parents who are well-off are in a better position if they find themselves in a spot where their ROI has not materialized, at least some of those students (including myself) are in the same situation as those with zero parental contribution as a result of the decision by at least my parents to conclude that by the time I am 25 I am ready to fight my own battles. Especially since at my age they were in a far less advantaged position than I. This may not be reflective of your own circumstances, but it's certainly not grounds for waging a verbal war with me simply because you disagree.
Perhaps you shouldn't assume the emotional states of posters merely because they use a 'swear word'. My point is, there's not much you can do about it. Accept it and finish taking care of your life.
If there's any "bitterness" (and that's not the proper tone, but I realize people have a limited emotional voabulary), it's because as someone who was estranged from their parents while I was still a child, I find it ridiculous that as soon as the FAFSA starts asking people for parental information, people who are full grown adults start whining that their parents aren't floating them the cash they would like and claiming that their parents "don't like them." There's this return to the parents movement going on right now in this country, and it's making children out of 20 somethings. There have been times in this country where accepting funds from your parents at the ripe age of 25 would be seen as a hit to one's pride, yet these kids want their parents to push them through life so they don't have to learn to actually cope. Furthermore, when people fail to accept that law schools can't afford to treat any 20 something who isn't being coddled by their parents as an independent, it does nothing to suggest that they SHOULD be treated as an independent.
Last edited by kn6542 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:49 am

[Off of soapbox]
Unless your parents would never help you in any financial situation and are giving away their estate when then die, you might want to hop back on that box and try again.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:59 am

I'm going to try to turn this thread back in a semi-productive direction...
lz06 wrote:I already submitted my FAFSA without parent info, and now I see that some schools require parent info.. Am I suppose to go back and edit my FAFSA, or do schools have a separate form for parent info (for ex. Penn)? This is confusing...
Penn also requires NeedAccess, which includes parental information. Thus I'm wondering, is necessary to provide parental information on the FAFSA? The reason this nuance matters is because I don't want to disadvantage myself for need based aid unless I have to (i.e. I don't want to provide parental information unless it's required... plus my parents usually wait until March to do their taxes). Does every school that requires parental information require NeedAccess? or do some just want the parental information on the FAFSA?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:53 pm

I know that GW wants your parents' info on the FAFSA. They don't ask for Need Access. Past that, it seems the trend is for schools who want your parents' info to ask for NA. Of course, there are bound to be exceptions.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Just to give a little perspective on the parental information:

I finished my FAFSA with only my income and my mother's. She makes roughly the same amount I do, which is to say, very little. My EFC was pretty low, I was excited.

Then I come to find out that several schools to which I am applying require my stepdad's information along with hers. He makes triple what she makes. Reluctantly, I input the information.

My EFC stayed the same.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:20 am

Kohinoor wrote:

[Off of soapbox]
Unless your parents would never help you in any financial situation and are giving away their estate when then die, you might want to hop back on that box and try again.
+1. One of my friends who is applying has no parents, and my family is so messed up I've been supporting them since high school. The bottom line is for us if I was stranded and in dire need of money...I am out of luck. I have no support whatsoever. I doubt most kids with parents like yours would have this problem. Also, are you going to tell me they never gave you any money in undergrad and dont plan to do so for grad school. Books/Food just beacuse? Graduation/birthday/christmas presents? It may seem like nothing to you, but there are a lot of people out there that don't have these options. I value your parents opinion and agree with it, but sincerely doubt they don't help you at all...you probably just don't realize it. I'm not trying to be critical, but I also take contention with the implication that hard work = financial success. I seriously doubt you would think someone working 3 part time jobs to keep the electricity on isn't a hard worker. They just weren't as lucky as your parents.

/end rant

Back to the original topic, I entered my parents information. I figured they school should have the whole picture of what my financial situation is.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Is there a list of the schools that require parental information for applicants under 30 somewhere?

Someone asked earlier in this thread but it was never answered.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:25 pm

After doing this for most schools, it seems like generally if they want parental information they ask for it on some kind of form other than the FAFSA. For example, UVA has an application for FinAid on their website that they send to admitted students, as does Duke and Michigan (a questionannaire actually). Some schools require both NA and some other stuff (Michigan). Most require copies of your and your parent's 2009 tax returns. So it differs on a school-by-school basis, but for me at least it seems that schools don't need the parental information on the FAFSA itself. They'll get it another way.

JRHoliday

New

Post by JRHoliday » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm in a pretty crappy situation. I just got out of the Marines, so my EFC was calculated according to a check I stopped getting on the fourth of January. There is absolutely no way I'm going to make anything close to military pay between now and August. Is there any way I can work something out with my school? I was a reservist and was only on active duty for a year. Before that I made less than twenty thousand a year as a substitute teacher.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:12 pm

probably... A lot of schools ask for predicted earnings for the first 8/9 months of 2010. You could furnish them with that information whether they ask or not, although it may not have much of an affect.

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:38 pm

My EFC is also very high because I was working a lot last year. I used it all up on my living expenses and those of my parents (who make close to nothing) and the little I saved went toward the down payment on the house I bought for us.

Including my parents' tax info on need access will not hurt me since it's so little. I'm wondering if there's any way it could help?

I keep thinking about how my EFC would be close to zero if I had gone straight into law school after college. All I have now is hundreds of thousands of dollars in mortgage debt and a high EFC. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:43 pm

jl2032 wrote:My EFC is also very high because I was working a lot last year. I used it all up on my living expenses and those of my parents (who make close to nothing) and the little I saved went toward the down payment on the house I bought for us.

Including my parents' tax info on need access will not hurt me since it's so little. I'm wondering if there's any way it could help?

I keep thinking about how my EFC would be close to zero if I had gone straight into law school after college. All I have now is hundreds of thousands of dollars in mortgage debt and a high EFC. :(
mine's zero. I worked for a year and my mom does cover more than half of my living expenses, TECHNICALLY. but she doesn't pay for housing for me (because she'd be living in the house anyway), and I pay her $200 a month for my car insurance and for a school loan, both of which are in her name. so even though it could be construed that my parents give me $750, they officially do not...

Snowdrifter

New

Post by Snowdrifter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:04 pm

joliveri wrote:be careful however and pay attention to what specific schools look for on their applications for institutional need based grants. I know Penn State notes on their application that if you are under 30 and have no dependents other than a spouse then you must submit parental information on the fafsa in order to be eligible for their institutional need based grants. Im not sure if other schools are like this, but I guess I would just suggest that you do the research before you fill out the fafsa since the schools with the earliest financial aid deadlines aren't until at mid Feb.
Does this mean that I shouldn't bother including parental information if they make too much money?

I'm 26 and applying to law school, and don't get money from parents. Right now, my EFC is 0. Wouldn't I rather leave it as-is, since I really doubt I'd get need-based grants by including parental info (parents combine for over 400k), AND it might raise my EFC...

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:10 pm

JRHoliday wrote:I'm in a pretty crappy situation. I just got out of the Marines, so my EFC was calculated according to a check I stopped getting on the fourth of January. There is absolutely no way I'm going to make anything close to military pay between now and August. Is there any way I can work something out with my school? I was a reservist and was only on active duty for a year. Before that I made less than twenty thousand a year as a substitute teacher.
Take a year off and get a job for lower pay or find a way to manage your life for that year such that your living expenses are not funded by "income."

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm

los blancos wrote:
thisguy456 wrote:
boilercat wrote:
mhd08 wrote:How does your parent's income apply if they aren't willing to contribute anything to your tuition? I'm afraid I won't be granted much based on my parent's info, even though they're not contributing to my tuition. Grrr.

Yeah, the process is unfair to people like you. I would also get nothing based on parent info but I'm fortunate that my parents are more than willing to foot the bill. I may take loans regardless in case I decide to do LRAP.
It's fair because although your parents won't be contributing to your education at this point, if you find yourself in trouble down the road after law school (unemployed or underemployed) and you can't afford payments on loans, then you technically can rely on a social safety network where your parents will probably come to your aid and help financially. Others with parents that have very little or no income to contribute are in a much worse situation should they find themselves in financial trouble after law school. I'm in your situation too, but that's how I justify it, and it sorta makes sense.

Yeah, makes sense. It would just really suck for anyone completely estranged from their [rich] parents.
Even then, the inborn social connections, indoctrination and general awareness that generally accompany a wealthy background still put you in better stead than you would otherwise be. There are tons, absolutely tons, of things that will come more naturally to you than you'll ever realize.

The only situation where it is more "unfair" to be from a wealthy background than a non-wealthy background is if your wealthy parents had absolutely nothing to do with raising you and you do not have access to their social network.

And to answer the OP: No, you do not need to input your parent's data to be eligible for the full amount of FEDERAL aid. I certainly didn't.

As other people pointed out, if your school offers need based scholarships, then you might be in a different position. However, most of the schools I applied to didn't, and those that did tended to have their own specific forms. You're just going to have to check the information from of each of the school's you're applying to in order to determine what you have to select. But as a default, no, you don't need to put in any parental info.

[Off of soapbox]
No, the bottom line is: All things being equal, would you rather have wealthy parents or poor parents? That's it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:22 pm

Obviously, a few schools require that you submit parental information if you are under a certain age / length of independency (usually 7 years independent or over 30 years old). All that info will be available on your school's financial aid website and, at least in my experience, most of them who want it will get parental information through your needaccess form (which requires it). GW, though, as an example, only wants it via FAFSA. If you're in a situation like this, and you would prefer to keep your parental information from other schools, just submit your FAFSA without it everywhere else, wait until it's been transmitted, go back and update it with parental information and have it sent only to the schools that require it. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, but it's not that hard. Most people should be able to both find the requirements of their schools and modify their FAFSA in the length of time it takes to read through this thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”