Really dumb FAFSA Question

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Amelie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I was on the FAFSA website, and am trying to determine whether I'm considered an independent or dependent student. When it asks if you will be pursuing a higher degree at the beginning of the 2010-11 academic year, the answer is yes if you will be starting law school in August/September, correct? I only ask because on the site the beginning of the academic year is July.

I just assumed that I would be considered dependent because I'm 22, so I'm a bit confused. I'd appreciate it if someone would enlighten me :wink:

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 pm

maggiebre wrote:I was on the FAFSA website, and am trying to determine whether I'm considered an independent or dependent student. When it asks if you will be pursuing a higher degree at the beginning of the 2010-11 academic year, the answer is yes if you will be starting law school in August/September, correct? I only ask because on the site the beginning of the academic year is July.

I just assumed that I would be considered dependent because I'm 22, so I'm a bit confused. I'd appreciate it if someone would enlighten me :wink:


Yes, they list JD as an example.

Oh and thanks for posting this, good reminder to start filling out fafsa stuff.

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Amelie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks - so I guess that means that all people applying for next year are independent. Good to know.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:17 pm

That's what I understand to be true.

hank44
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby hank44 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm

maggiebre wrote:Thanks - so I guess that means that all people applying for next year are independent. Good to know.


Being an independent vs. a dependent has nothing to do with your age...

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm

That's not true - once you turn 24 you're independent, regardless of all other factors.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:19 pm

See the question "Were you born before January 1, 1987 (question 46)?"

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Yeah it has to do with your age. Check out the fafsa website, they have a for to fill out to determine whether you are independent or not.

hank44
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby hank44 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:40 pm

sorry, to clarify: you CAN be independent at a younger age is what i meant. I guess I read the post as "Im not 24, how can I be anything but a dependent"

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:43 pm

hank44 wrote:sorry, to clarify: you CAN be independent at a younger age is what i meant. I guess I read the post as "Im not 24, how can I be anything but a dependent"


Correct, marriage is one way.

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Amelie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm not looking forward to filling this thing out...

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Inygma » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:48 pm

maggiebre wrote:Thanks for the responses. I'm not looking forward to filling this thing out...


At least if you are a woman you don't have to sign up for the draft. :evil:

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:56 pm

I have a dumb question too!

So, when you add schools to the list and the list doesn't mention the law school specifically I assume one should just put the institution as a whole. For example, I don't see UCLA law on the list but I do see UCLA.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:50 am

savesthedayajb wrote:I have a dumb question too!

So, when you add schools to the list and the list doesn't mention the law school specifically I assume one should just put the institution as a whole. For example, I don't see UCLA law on the list but I do see UCLA.


I assume that to be correct.

Inygma wrote:
hank44 wrote:sorry, to clarify: you CAN be independent at a younger age is what i meant. I guess I read the post as "Im not 24, how can I be anything but a dependent"


Correct, marriage is one way.


I will be married before I am 24. :D

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Really dumb FAFSA Question

Postby angioletto » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 am

savesthedayajb wrote:I have a dumb question too!

So, when you add schools to the list and the list doesn't mention the law school specifically I assume one should just put the institution as a whole. For example, I don't see UCLA law on the list but I do see UCLA.


Correct. Some law schools have their own FA department and some do FA through the main university.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest