FAFSA if you don't know what school you are going to. Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
LSHPFL10

New

FAFSA if you don't know what school you are going to.

Post by LSHPFL10 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:43 pm

This is probably a really stupid question, but some of the facts about FAFSA are fuzzy, since it's been about a year since I last filled it out.

Basically, if I don't know what law school I am going to yet, should I still fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible? How does this uncertainty affect how I fill it out?

Thanks for your time.

FreshPrince

New

Re: FAFSA if you don't know what school you are going to.

Post by FreshPrince » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Yes, fill out the FASFA as soon as you can. There will be a place on the FASFA to fill in school codes for institutions you want to receive your financial information. I think they allow you to enter up to 5 schools but it may be more. If they don't have enough spaces for you to put all the schools you are seriously considering, contact them and have it sent to those additional schools.

LSHPFL10

New

Post by LSHPFL10 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:49 am

Bump.

How does this apply if I have not been accepted to certain schools? Should I still send financial information to schools I have not yet been accepted to?

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:56 am

LSHPFL10 wrote:Bump.

How does this apply if I have not been accepted to certain schools? Should I still send financial information to schools I have not yet been accepted to?
same question!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:59 am

lawduder wrote:

same question!

+1

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:04 pm

I would send it. This allows them to pull up the data later when they need it. Remember this normally goes to the main schools financial aid office and not the law school it self, so they are use to receiving a crap load of data for people that aren't students yet. I am sure they have a way to handle it (most likely they only pull the data when needed).

Better to get the data to them before March 1 and maybe have to redo it for that school, then to wait until after March 1 and miss the priority deadlines for most schools. After you are accepted then call them and make sure that they have access to your data.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”