The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
whizbang
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 pm

The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby whizbang » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:57 am

I haven't ever gotten a straight answer. I identify as Mexican because my family is from Mexico and we've always had that culture, but I have also been told that Hispanic is applicable to people from Mexico. I've always thought people chose based on connotation, but now that I'm applying to law school I want a more specific definition. Thoughts???!!!

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby NayBoer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:06 am

Mexican is usually Hispanic. Not all Hispanic people are Mexican (e.g. Honduran, Cuban, Puerto Rican).

This might get complicated if your family is of European descent and settled in Mexico before moving to America. I knew a guy in high school with either one or both parents of Mexican extraction (he was born in America) but all four grandparents were central European Jews. Is he Hispanic? I dunno, but he was very fluent in Spanish.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby missvik218 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:10 am

I think specific applications may tell you what they count as being Hispanic, etc. but I think Nayboer is correct. For instance, I'm working on Duke's application right now and the text reads "Are you Hispanic or Latino!? A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race." You'd be a YES here.

el_gaucho
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby el_gaucho » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:31 am

You can be Jewish and Hispanic. Would you say that a Jew that is born and raised in a Latin American country is not Hispanic?

Of course he's Hispanic. Your friend included, because being Hispanic, even though most are Catholic, has nothing to do with religious affiliation. And definitely not racial.

Most people would have no reservations about calling a 5th generation Mexican-American who speaks absolutely no Spanish a Hispanic. Likewise, we shouldn't have reservations about calling a Jew a Hispanic.

Also, I don't think language has anything to do with it, for there are plenty of Hispanics that don't speak Spanish at all.

mhernton
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby mhernton » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 pm

Think of Hispanic as all encompassing, all decendants of Spanish speaking countries outside of spain. Latino would apply for decendants of latin american countries. So Puerto Ricans are hispanic but not Latino. Mexicans are both hispanic and Latino....Straight enough for you ??? Besides it doesn't matter what I think, look at the LSAC website its on their under diversity initiatives, if you work for them as a Hispanic you'll work for the law schools...

User avatar
PoorOrpheus
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby PoorOrpheus » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:46 am

mhernton wrote:So Puerto Ricans are hispanic but not Latino.


That's news to me. How are Puerto Ricans not Latino?

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby NayBoer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

el_gaucho wrote:You can be Jewish and Hispanic. Would you say that a Jew that is born and raised in a Latin American country is not Hispanic?

Of course he's Hispanic. Your friend included, because being Hispanic, even though most are Catholic, has nothing to do with religious affiliation. And definitely not racial.

Most people would have no reservations about calling a 5th generation Mexican-American who speaks absolutely no Spanish a Hispanic. Likewise, we shouldn't have reservations about calling a Jew a Hispanic.

Also, I don't think language has anything to do with it, for there are plenty of Hispanics that don't speak Spanish at all.
I didn't say Jewish and Hispanic are mutually exclusive. Obviously they are not, with the conversos, the crypto-Jews, the Spanish Inquisition in the New World, and the many Hispanic people with Jewish ancestry.

My rhetorical question was whether he counts as Hispanic, not because he's Jewish, but because his parents were only briefly there. I'm not sure even sure his parents were born there. So it's a tough question that exposes how subjective this can all get.

Though for OP's question, it's not really vague. Mexican is Hispanic in common understanding.

User avatar
rGsgbJsl1
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby rGsgbJsl1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:10 am

A la verga, eres Hispano y tambien Mexicano, no se por que la hace tanto de a pedo la gente con esas mamadas...

mhernton
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby mhernton » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:44 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:
mhernton wrote:So Puerto Ricans are hispanic but not Latino.


That's news to me. How are Puerto Ricans not Latino?



If you reread my original post, it explains it very well.

User avatar
PoorOrpheus
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby PoorOrpheus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:14 pm

mhernton wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:
mhernton wrote:So Puerto Ricans are hispanic but not Latino.


That's news to me. How are Puerto Ricans not Latino?



If you reread my original post, it explains it very well.


I read your explanation, but I disagree with your facts. Let me re-phrase my question: How is Puerto Rico not a Latin American country?

User avatar
Kên
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:53 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby Kên » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:22 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:A la verga, eres Hispano y tambien Mexicano, no se por que la hace tanto de a pedo la gente con esas mamadas...


¿verga y mamadas en la misma oración? ¿ciertamente estás frustrado, no?

Keats
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby Keats » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Puerto Rico is a part of Latin America, so Puerto Ricans are Latino. They are also generally Hispanic.

A better example to illustrate the distinction would be Haitians (of French ancestry) or Brazilians (of Portuguese ancestry), who would be considered Latino but not Hispanic (of Spanish ancestry).

To answer the original question, "Mexican" refers to a nationality and "Hispanic" refers to a culture or ethnic origin. You could be Mexican but not Hispanic, Hispanic but not Mexican, or neither, or both.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Hispanic (as used in the US) is someone of Latin American origin.

If you're Mexican, you're from a country in Latin America, so you're a Hispanic.

If you're Hispanic, you're from a country in Latin America, but not necessarily Mexico. Hispanics could be from any Spanish-speaking country in the hemisphere, such as Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Cuba... they could be from any of those countries.

Hope that helps.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Keats wrote:To answer the original question, "Mexican" refers to a nationality and "Hispanic" refers to a culture or ethnic origin. You could be Mexican but not Hispanic, Hispanic but not Mexican, or neither, or both.


Bolded is wrong. If you're Mexican, you're Hispanic.

User avatar
Kên
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:53 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby Kên » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:34 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Keats wrote:To answer the original question, "Mexican" refers to a nationality and "Hispanic" refers to a culture or ethnic origin. You could be Mexican but not Hispanic, Hispanic but not Mexican, or neither, or both.


Bolded is wrong. If you're Mexican, you're Hispanic.


Unfortunately, you are wrong. Like Keats said, nationality and ethnicity are not one and the same. You can be Scandinavian and Latino: born in Norway to Dominican Parents.

User avatar
rGsgbJsl1
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby rGsgbJsl1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:46 pm

Kên wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:A la verga, eres Hispano y tambien Mexicano, no se por que la hace tanto de a pedo la gente con esas mamadas...


¿verga y mamadas en la misma oración? ¿ciertamente estás frustrado, no?



nah, simplemente que asi hablamos por aca

Keats
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby Keats » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Keats wrote:To answer the original question, "Mexican" refers to a nationality and "Hispanic" refers to a culture or ethnic origin. You could be Mexican but not Hispanic, Hispanic but not Mexican, or neither, or both.


Bolded is wrong. If you're Mexican, you're Hispanic.



I'm not sure why you think that. Mexico is home to large numbers of indigenous peoples who do not speak Spanish and are not descendants of Spanish-speaking ancestors. They are not Hispanic.

User avatar
Kên
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:53 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby Kên » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Keats wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Keats wrote:To answer the original question, "Mexican" refers to a nationality and "Hispanic" refers to a culture or ethnic origin. You could be Mexican but not Hispanic, Hispanic but not Mexican, or neither, or both.


Bolded is wrong. If you're Mexican, you're Hispanic.



I'm not sure why you think that. Mexico is home to large numbers of indigenous peoples who do not speak Spanish and are not descendants of Spanish-speaking ancestors. They are not Hispanic.


agreed.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:05 pm

Keats wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Keats wrote:To answer the original question, "Mexican" refers to a nationality and "Hispanic" refers to a culture or ethnic origin. You could be Mexican but not Hispanic, Hispanic but not Mexican, or neither, or both.


Bolded is wrong. If you're Mexican, you're Hispanic.



I'm not sure why you think that. Mexico is home to large numbers of indigenous peoples who do not speak Spanish and are not descendants of Spanish-speaking ancestors. They are not Hispanic.


Because Hispanic in the U.S. means anyone of Latin American origin. If you consider yourself Mexican you are Hispanic, because you are from a Latin American nation. It does not mean Spanish or Spanish-speaking specifically (although it is highly unlikely anymore that someone would be of Mexican origin and not know any Spanish anyway).

If you are from Mexico, and have 100% Spaniard blood, you are Hispanic.
If you are from Mexico, and have Spaniard and Aztec blood, you are Hispanic.
If you are from Mexico, and have 100% Aztec blood, you are Hispanic.

It's a cultural designation, and specifically a designation that you are of Latin American origin. Since those countries have a culture that is combined native and Spanish, and a large population that shares a mix of both genetically, they don't make a real effort in the U.S. to differentiate between the two.
Last edited by vanwinkle on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jones, Dow
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby Jones, Dow » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Oh my hell

User avatar
rGsgbJsl1
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby rGsgbJsl1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:09 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Keats wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Keats wrote:To answer the original question, "Mexican" refers to a nationality and "Hispanic" refers to a culture or ethnic origin. You could be Mexican but not Hispanic, Hispanic but not Mexican, or neither, or both.


Bolded is wrong. If you're Mexican, you're Hispanic.



I'm not sure why you think that. Mexico is home to large numbers of indigenous peoples who do not speak Spanish and are not descendants of Spanish-speaking ancestors. They are not Hispanic.


Because Hispanic in the U.S. means anyone of Latin American origin. If you consider yourself Mexican you are Hispanic, because you are from a Latin American nation. It does not mean Spanish or Spanish-speaking specifically (although it is highly unlikely anymore that someone would be of Mexican origin and not know any Spanish anyway).


If you think a Quechua Indian is Hispanic then there's definitely something wrong in your reasoning and your opinion has no value.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:If you think a Quechua Indian is Hispanic then there's definitely something wrong in your reasoning.


Quechua Indians are from Peru, Colombia, Chile, or Argentina. They are of Latin American origin. They are therefore Hispanic under the U.S. definition. Further, the Quechua have influenced the Spanish populations in those countries and vice versa, so it's not an entirely inapt definition.
Last edited by vanwinkle on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
rGsgbJsl1
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby rGsgbJsl1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:15 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:If you think a Quechua Indian is Hispanic then there's definitely something wrong in your reasoning.


Quechua Indians are from Peru, Colombia, Chile, or Argentina. They are of Latin American origin. They are therefore Hispanic under the U.S. definition.


Well then the U.S. definition is fucked up. Indigenas son hispanos? no seas mamon...
In trying to make this cookie cutter definitions in which everybody can fit nicely, the U.S. has come up woth some pretty idiotic and contradictive labels. Hispanic is short for Hispanohablante or Hispanoamericano, by defnition you either have to speak Spanish (lengua Hispana) or be of Hispanic (Spanish) descent. How the fuck a Yaqui Indian is labeled Hispanic is beyond comprehension.

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby Rocketman11 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Because Hispanic in the U.S. means anyone of Latin American origin. If you consider yourself Mexican you are Hispanic, because you are from a Latin American nation. It does not mean Spanish or Spanish-speaking specifically (although it is highly unlikely anymore that someone would be of Mexican origin and not know any Spanish anyway).

If you are from Mexico, and have 100% Spaniard blood, you are Hispanic.
If you are from Mexico, and have Spaniard and Aztec blood, you are Hispanic.
If you are from Mexico, and have 100% Aztec blood, you are Hispanic.

It's a cultural designation, and specifically a designation that you are of Latin American origin. Since those countries have a culture that is combined native and Spanish, and a large population that shares a mix of both genetically, they don't make a real effort in the U.S. to differentiate between the two.


I thought latin american origin was "Latino"? But I agree Hispanic is a culture not a race, like Mexican.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: The difference between Mexican and Hispanic

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:19 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:Well then the U.S. definition is fucked up. Indigenas son hispanos? no seas mamon...

In trying to make this cookie cutter definitions in which everybody can fit nicely, the U.S. has come up woth some pretty idiotic and contradictive labels. Hispanic is short for Hispanohablante or Hispanoamericano, by defnition you either have to speak Spanish (lengua Hispana) or be of Hispanic (Spanish) descent. How the fuck a Yaqui Indian is labeled Hispanic is beyond comprehension.


It's because the U.S. tries to make the definition more inclusive, rather than more exclusive as a literal definition like you're seeking would apply. "Hispanic" is a cultural designation referring to all people of Latin American national origin.

The HLS application, for example, asks "Are you Hispanic/Latino?" and then separately to identify a race. The Quechua could desginate "Hispanic" and "Native American". A Mexican could designate "Hispanic" and "White", or simply "Hispanic" and leave the rest blank. It's a fluid definition precisely because it's impossible to draw a clear line between who is Hispanic and who isn't, so they allow broad definitions of it.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest