Hispanics and URM status

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
cao0008

Hispanics and URM status

Postby cao0008 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 pm

This has probably been discussed before, but I'll give it a shot. They say that only Hispanics who are either Puerto Rican or Mexican can get a URM status. What happens with the schools that only ask whether or not you're hispanic, but don't include the Mexican or PR option?

Tex_Mex13

Re: Hispanics and URM status

Postby Tex_Mex13 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:11 pm

cao0008 wrote:This has probably been discussed before, but I'll give it a shot. They say that only Hispanics who are either Puerto Rican or Mexican can get a URM status. What happens with the schools that only ask whether or not you're hispanic, but don't include the Mexican or PR option?

They can still see this information from LSAC, I believe.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:24 pm

Yeah, if you are Mexican or Puerto Rican, they can see it on your LSAC profile, or perhaps it is mentioned in your PS or DS, in which case it will be clear. My problems came when they then forced you to break it down to one type of hispanic. I believe the options were "Mexican", "Puerto Rican" or "Hispanic-Other". My family is South American but I have a whole Puerto Rican branch of my family. Yet, many apps forced me to pick just one, and I could only go with hispanic-other. But I made sure to mention that I am also Puerto Rican in my PS. I think that is your best bet. Check whatever needs to be checked on the app, but if you need to mention a specific, just reference it in your PS or DS.

cao0008

Postby cao0008 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Lame, I'm not Mexican or Puerto Rican so I was having this awesome idea of getting a boost just for being Hispanic. lol

prelawinfoguy

Postby prelawinfoguy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:38 pm

dakatz wrote:Yeah, if you are Mexican or Puerto Rican, they can see it on your LSAC profile, or perhaps it is mentioned in your PS or DS, in which case it will be clear. My problems came when they then forced you to break it down to one type of hispanic. I believe the options were "Mexican", "Puerto Rican" or "Hispanic-Other". My family is South American but I have a whole Puerto Rican branch of my family. Yet, many apps forced me to pick just one, and I could only go with hispanic-other. But I made sure to mention that I am also Puerto Rican in my PS. I think that is your best bet. Check whatever needs to be checked on the app, but if you need to mention a specific, just reference it in your PS or DS.

Is there any boost fo S.A. Hispanics?

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:44 pm

prelawinfoguy wrote:
dakatz wrote:Yeah, if you are Mexican or Puerto Rican, they can see it on your LSAC profile, or perhaps it is mentioned in your PS or DS, in which case it will be clear. My problems came when they then forced you to break it down to one type of hispanic. I believe the options were "Mexican", "Puerto Rican" or "Hispanic-Other". My family is South American but I have a whole Puerto Rican branch of my family. Yet, many apps forced me to pick just one, and I could only go with hispanic-other. But I made sure to mention that I am also Puerto Rican in my PS. I think that is your best bet. Check whatever needs to be checked on the app, but if you need to mention a specific, just reference it in your PS or DS.

no-only mexicans and puerto ricans get the boost. but you can write a diversity statement

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:29 pm

What about Central Americans?

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 pm

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:
prelawinfoguy wrote:

no-only mexicans and puerto ricans get the boost. but you can write a diversity statement

And where did you hear that nonsense? Sure South American hispanics get a boost. They just don't want white people.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm

LawandOrder wrote:And where did you hear that nonsense? Sure South American hispanics get a boost. They just don't want white people.

Only Blacks, Native Americans, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans get the boost generally associated with being "URMs".

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:55 pm

kurama20 wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:And where did you hear that nonsense? Sure South American hispanics get a boost. They just don't want white people.

Only Blacks, Native Americans, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans get the boost generally associated with being "URMs".

How wrong you are. Got into GULC with lsat UNDER their 25th percentile (but high gpa). I am SA hispanic heritage and white. BUT, am bilingual and demonstrated a tie to my heritage. People on TLS are so wrong, I don't know where they got their wrong info from..kind of like urban legends

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Can you get the URM boost if you don't submit a diversity statement? I am Mexican American and I detailed a bit about it in my personal statement.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:58 pm

casterfield wrote:Can you get the URM boost if you don't submit a diversity statement? I am Mexican American and I detailed a bit about it in my personal statement.

I really have no idea, but the people on tls all seem to know.
Maybe the adcoms just liked my name..have no idea

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”