Hispanic Harvard 2010 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rGsgbJsl1

New

Re: Hispanic Harvard 2010

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Kên wrote:
No, I'm not Japanese. A long long time ago my great grandparent's grandparents (or something like that, not really sure) left Japan for Peru, so I have no ties to Japanese culture. I consider myself Peruvian and Hispanic.
Orale que chingon. Entonces no te sientes identificado con la cultura Japonesa en lo mas minimo?

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:58 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
Kên wrote:
No, I'm not Japanese. A long long time ago my great grandparent's grandparents (or something like that, not really sure) left Japan for Peru, so I have no ties to Japanese culture. I consider myself Peruvian and Hispanic.
Orale que chingon. Entonces no te sientes identificado con la cultura Japonesa en lo mas minimo?
That's the sweet thing about Hispanic being an ethnicity not a race. He could say that his parents left Japan 21 years ago and his mom gave birth to him five minutes after getting off the plane. However, he still feels like he's Hispanic 'cause he was raised in Peru. URM boost, please! Granted, being Peruvian doesn't get you as much as being Mexican.
Last edited by dudester on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:01 pm

dudester wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
Kên wrote:
That's the sweet thing about Hispanic being an ethnicity not a race. He could say my parents left Japan and my mom gave birth to me five minutes after getting off the plane. However, I feel like I'm Hispanic 'cause I was raised in Peru. URM boost, please! Granted, being Peruvian doesn't get you as much as being Mexican.
That's why I asked him about his relation to Japanese culture. i think it could be argued a Japanese immigrant who didn't really assimilate with the general culture cannot claim to be Hispanic.

Kên

New

Post by Kên » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:29 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
dudester wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
Kên wrote:
That's the sweet thing about Hispanic being an ethnicity not a race. He could say my parents left Japan and my mom gave birth to me five minutes after getting off the plane. However, I feel like I'm Hispanic 'cause I was raised in Peru. URM boost, please! Granted, being Peruvian doesn't get you as much as being Mexican.
That's why I asked him about his relation to Japanese culture. i think it could be argued a Japanese immigrant who didn't really assimilate with the general culture cannot claim to be Hispanic.
That's the thing, when my family emigrated they assimilated into Peruvian culture and disposed of their Japanese heritage as much as they could, learning the language and embracing the culture so as to secure decent jobs. I am not Japanese. I am Peruvian and I am Hispanic. If you don't like the fact that someone like me will be getting a boost, you either don't believe me or don't understand my situation. I'm sorry.

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:37 pm

Kên wrote: That's the thing, when my family emigrated they assimilated into Peruvian culture and disposed of their Japanese heritage as much as they could, learning the language and embracing the culture so as to secure decent jobs. I am not Japanese. I am Peruvian and I am Hispanic. If you don't like the fact that someone like me will be getting a boost, you either don't believe me or don't understand my situation. I'm sorry.
WTF???
I wasn't even talking about you in that example. Read it again and you'll see I was speaking in general terms (Hint: I said A Japanese immigrant, you're obviously not a Japanese immigrant). Hey, I'm glad you consider yourself Hispanic, that in no way, shape or form harms me.

Kên

New

Post by Kên » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:43 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
Kên wrote: That's the thing, when my family emigrated they assimilated into Peruvian culture and disposed of their Japanese heritage as much as they could, learning the language and embracing the culture so as to secure decent jobs. I am not Japanese. I am Peruvian and I am Hispanic. If you don't like the fact that someone like me will be getting a boost, you either don't believe me or don't understand my situation. I'm sorry.
WTF???
I wasn't even talking about you in that example. Read it again and you'll see I was speaking in general terms (Hint: I said A Japanese immigrant, you're obviously not a Japanese immigrant). Hey, I'm glad you consider yourself Hispanic, that in no way, shape or form harms me.
i quoted you and dudester, but I was referring to his post not yours. sorry about that.

rGsgbJsl1

New

Post by rGsgbJsl1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Kên wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
WTF???
i quoted you and dudester, but I was referring to his post not yours. sorry about that.
Ok, ok, I see. But I'm afraid dudester is not speaking out of his ass. There is a consensus in TLS (I don't know how much that reflects the real thing) that Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are the only ones that get the boost. I'm sure dudester wasn't trying to imply that he didn't want you to get the boost, but like I said, it seems these two groups are the ones that benefit mostly from the boost.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Kên wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
WTF???
Defensive much? I merely pointed out the realities of the label "Hispanic". Nobody here like/dislikes/cares whether you get a boost or not. Let's not have this thread take a turn in the wrong direction.

Where's my JR1, Hahvahd?!

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:51 pm

rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
Kên wrote:
rGsgbJsl1 wrote:
WTF???
Ok, ok, I see. But I'm afraid dudester is not speaking out of his ass. There is a consensus in TLS (I don't know how much that reflects the real thing) that Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are the only ones that get the boost. I'm sure dudester wasn't trying to imply that he didn't want you to get the boost, but like I said, it seems these two groups are the ones that benefit mostly from the boost.
Bingo.

R. Hood

New

Post by R. Hood » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:02 am

wow we have gotten off track

Tex_Mex13

New

Post by Tex_Mex13 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:29 pm

R. Hood wrote:wow we have gotten off track
Of course we have, it's the URM board. :lol:

coollegemex

Bronze

Post by coollegemex » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Application received...the wait begins

bottomshelf

New

Post by bottomshelf » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:31 pm

JR1 e-mail today!

:mrgreen:

coollegemex

Bronze

Post by coollegemex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:08 pm

bottomshelf wrote:JR1 e-mail today!

:mrgreen:

Nice! ¡Echale ganas!

bottomshelf

New

Post by bottomshelf » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:28 pm

coollegemex wrote:Nice! ¡Echale ganas!
Thanks! I'm listening to Teleradio Donoso's "Eras mi persona favorita" and thinking of Harvard. Weird, but meh.

Buena suerte to everyone on their cycle!

coollegemex

Bronze

Post by coollegemex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:50 pm

bottomshelf wrote:
coollegemex wrote:Nice! ¡Echale ganas!
Thanks! I'm listening to Teleradio Donoso's "Eras mi persona favorita" and thinking of Harvard. Weird, but meh.

Buena suerte to everyone on their cycle!

haha and I'm listening to Pau' Dame otro tequila... at least until I get my JR1

R. Hood

New

Post by R. Hood » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:09 pm

Congrats to those who have gotten a JR1. Are we up to 2 now?

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm Hispanic and also got a JR1 around 2 weeks ago.

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:41 pm

Any JR1s or JR2s today?

picaresco

New

Post by picaresco » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:48 pm

I got a JR2 today!

TheLuckyOne

Bronze

Post by TheLuckyOne » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:00 am

Guys, congrats on the calls and good luck to HLS hopefuls.

I would like those of you getting JR1/JR2 phone calls update the following statistics thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=93290

Thanks in advance.

lightbulb1986

Bronze

Post by lightbulb1986 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:51 pm

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:27 pm

lightbulb1986 wrote:hey guys i'm reviving this thread after being held at Harvard a few days ago. Anybody else care to update their stats and status?
Yea I'm wondering if anyone else here has gotten in.. I was held as well, maybe they'll just accept us all in one big hispanic batch haha =D

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:41 pm

Held as well. Stats and URM status on LSN (link in profile). Had my JR1 before Thanksgiving.

bottomshelf

New

Post by bottomshelf » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Core wrote:Held as well. Stats and URM status on LSN (link in profile). Had my JR1 before Thanksgiving.
ditto (for everything, minus URM status)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”