CLEO 2010

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Jay-Electronica
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:00 am

Trelawny wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:yea, i feel the same about how much of a benefit the program will be. i'm actually trying to save up as much money as possible for the program. it's expensive but i know that we're considered for scholarships, yada yada..


The thing I don't get is that if we are disadvantage why is it that they just don't make the program free. Yeah. scholarships is always a catch to any program.


QFT. The price is pretty steep, although I will be qualified for the need based scholarship, I think its crazy to think that people who are pretty strapped for cash already can come up with that kind of money. On the other hand, I see it as an investment in my future, one that should/could have a sizable return.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:00 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:I havent applied yet, is it too late? I was probably going to send my app in this week.



hell yeah! shoot in an app. ASAP! CLEO is known for being competitive as all hell! they only take 80 or so kids in total for 2 sections. i think hundreds of people apply so the sooner, the better!

hope that helps your decision-making!


Thanks! I wasnt sure how competitive it was, honestly I would probably do this over the SEO program. Anyway, Im definitely gonna get my app in this week.

How do they choose which location you are placed? Proximity?


beats me! for all i know, it's based on first -apply, best served, hahaha!


i know it's 10 years later....but what's the SEO program? info, please..

Trelawny
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Trelawny » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:51 pm

imacpa wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:hey...i know this may be off topic but can anybody, preferably anyone who has been through CLEO or has been accepted into CLEO, tell me what to do if you apply to more than the acceptable 8 MSSIs...i'm applying to 10-13 schools and they're all listed as MSSIs....how do i go about choosing which schools to list on the application?

thanks...i need everyone's input



I attended the six week CLEO summer institute this past summer. To answer your question regarding the MSSIs.....you can only select up to 8 MSSIs. You're welcome to apply to more schools but you can only submit to no more than 8 schools.

My recommendation in selecting the 8 schools is to select CLEO Members schools. From what I understand, these schools have a direct relationship with CLEO and some of these institutions have actually hosted past CLEO events in the past. You may also select either support or substaining schools as well.

Hope this helps!


Hi,

What is the line up for the program. Is it Mon-Fri of course work? Is there a move-in day and how was the first day like?

THanks.

imacpa
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby imacpa » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Trelawny wrote:
imacpa wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:hey...i know this may be off topic but can anybody, preferably anyone who has been through CLEO or has been accepted into CLEO, tell me what to do if you apply to more than the acceptable 8 MSSIs...i'm applying to 10-13 schools and they're all listed as MSSIs....how do i go about choosing which schools to list on the application?

thanks...i need everyone's input



I attended the six week CLEO summer institute this past summer. To answer your question regarding the MSSIs.....you can only select up to 8 MSSIs. You're welcome to apply to more schools but you can only submit to no more than 8 schools.

My recommendation in selecting the 8 schools is to select CLEO Members schools. From what I understand, these schools have a direct relationship with CLEO and some of these institutions have actually hosted past CLEO events in the past. You may also select either support or substaining schools as well.



Hope this helps!


Hi,

What is the line up for the program. Is it Mon-Fri of course work? Is there a move-in day and how was the first day like?

THanks.


Hi, Trelawny.

Based on what I went through with CLEO, you will have a Legal Writing class, and three substantive law classes including Criminal Law, Contracts, and Property. Depending on the site, you may do Torts in lieu of one of classes just mentioned. The classes are Mon to Fri. Your weekends are free but you'll be a bit busy studying and working on your legal memos.

You will be allowed to move in at least a day or two before CLEO starts. They'll also provide meals and housing which is all covered in the $2K that you pay.

Trelawny
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Trelawny » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:30 pm

imacpa wrote:
Trelawny wrote:
imacpa wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:hey...i know this may be off topic but can anybody, preferably anyone who has been through CLEO or has been accepted into CLEO, tell me what to do if you apply to more than the acceptable 8 MSSIs...i'm applying to 10-13 schools and they're all listed as MSSIs....how do i go about choosing which schools to list on the application?

thanks...i need everyone's input



I attended the six week CLEO summer institute this past summer. To answer your question regarding the MSSIs.....you can only select up to 8 MSSIs. You're welcome to apply to more schools but you can only submit to no more than 8 schools.

My recommendation in selecting the 8 schools is to select CLEO Members schools. From what I understand, these schools have a direct relationship with CLEO and some of these institutions have actually hosted past CLEO events in the past. You may also select either support or substaining schools as well.



Hope this helps!


Hi,

What is the line up for the program. Is it Mon-Fri of course work? Is there a move-in day and how was the first day like?

THanks.


Hi, Trelawny.

Based on what I went through with CLEO, you will have a Legal Writing class, and three substantive law classes including Criminal Law, Contracts, and Property. Depending on the site, you may do Torts in lieu of one of classes just mentioned. The classes are Mon to Fri. Your weekends are free but you'll be a bit busy studying and working on your legal memos.

You will be allowed to move in at least a day or two before CLEO starts. They'll also provide meals and housing which is all covered in the $2K that you pay.


Happy New Year!

Thank you for your prompt response. I now see how CLEO gives 1Ls a edge.

My question about the first day was not answered. I inquiring because I am considering to re-take the LSAT in June. If accepted I would like to be placed in the Miami location the same day the LSAT is administered. I wanted to know how the first day is because I do not want to miss a full day of important work. If it's just an orientation then I can most likely catch up the next day.

Btw, what Law school are you attending?

imacpa
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby imacpa » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi,

What is the line up for the program. Is it Mon-Fri of course work? Is there a move-in day and how was the first day like?

THanks.[/quote]

Hi, Trelawny.

Based on what I went through with CLEO, you will have a Legal Writing class, and three substantive law classes including Criminal Law, Contracts, and Property. Depending on the site, you may do Torts in lieu of one of classes just mentioned. The classes are Mon to Fri. Your weekends are free but you'll be a bit busy studying and working on your legal memos.

You will be allowed to move in at least a day or two before CLEO starts. They'll also provide meals and housing which is all covered in the $2K that you pay.[/quote]

Happy New Year!

Thank you for your prompt response. I now see how CLEO gives 1Ls a edge.

My question about the first day was not answered. I inquiring because I am considering to re-take the LSAT in June. If accepted I would like to be placed in the Miami location the same day the LSAT is administered. I wanted to know how the first day is because I do not want to miss a full day of important work. If it's just an orientation then I can most likely catch up the next day.

Btw, what Law school are you attending?[/quote]

Hi, Trelawny.

I'm sorry I missed your question last time. I misunderstood what you originally asked.

You will be assigned a location long before the June LSAT date. Therefore, it's not likely they'll assign or reassign you to Miami since the LSAT date will likely coincide with CLEO.

I originally planned to take the LSAT in June last year during the first day but I was discouraged from doing so. Therefore, they will likely tell you to not take the June LSAT. They will not allow you to even miss the first day of CLEO for the LSAT. If you do, they may ask you to leave CLEO.

Based on what happened last year, we were expected to have already read our assignments (reading and briefing cases) before the first day. They'll issue you your case books the weekend prior to the first day. Trust me....you don't want to miss the first day because they may also have some workshops that you don't want to miss as well as take care of some administrative matters.



Hope that helps!
Last edited by imacpa on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfsl2010
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby rfsl2010 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Happy New Year Everyone.

Has anyone who applied for 2010 heard anything? I applied in early Oct. 2009. I received a letter confirming my application is complete. I read the 2009 forum and looks like decisions were made in early Jan on some application. Please let me know if anyone’s received any feedback on their application or a decision. Anxiously waiting.

User avatar
Kiory
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:38 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Kiory » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Thank you for all the info. I have a few more questions please...

So the program is M-F but what are the time frames? Is it like 9-5 you are in class and the evengs are for studying? Or is it a little more relaxed than that? During weekends how much time did you ACTUALLY spend on reading/writing?? About how much free time do you get during the week? (I have two small children that I am leaving in the care of my mother but would like to see them on some evenings). Also, personally, what was the greatest benefit you got out of this program academically? (Like did you feel prepared in your writing style for exams, knowledge of subject matter, way of thinking, etc.) Is it true that you qualify for scholarships that are applied to your tution? If so, how much and how are they calculated??

I greatly appreciate your time in responding!!

Mayimbe
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:55 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Mayimbe » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:36 am

What's up everyone? I did the CLEO Summer Institute this past summer at the Univ of Pitt so I'll try and help you guys out with any questions you might have. So as was said already, you'll be busy throughout most of the day. Class from the morning till mid-afternoon. Then you'll go eat and relax for about an hour or so (If you choose to) and then go back to studying. Most of the group went out friday and saturday night (Nightclubs, bars, movies, etc). You'll most likely have to do work most of saturday and sunday but you'll definitely have some free time. The most rewarding thing I got from CLEO was learning the ways of law school in an environment that has no consequences. Yes you are given grades and ranked in the program but it has no affect on what your grades will be in LS which is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. However, some people were sort of relying on their grades at CLEO to get into other schools but that doesn't always work out. So while everyone in your first semester of law school is sleeping 5-6 hours a night briefing, reading, etc you'll be a lot more relaxed and know what not to waste your time on. Also, the summer program did cost me $2000 but I am currently getting $2500 a year for every year in law school. So the $2000 is definitely paid back for most people. You might hate the first few days/weeks there because of all the work but you'll be telling yourself "Thank god I'm going through this now when it doesn't count and not in actual law school." And most importantly, you'll make a connection with everyone there as if you knew them for years. I guarantee you that you will meet lifetime friends that will be in very powerful positions in the future. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have about the program.

unassuming
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby unassuming » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:49 am

St Louis and Miami Florida - more details are posted on their site. Both sessions start in different weeks (both in the first half) of June.

Trelawny
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Trelawny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:24 pm

imacpa wrote:Hi,

What is the line up for the program. Is it Mon-Fri of course work? Is there a move-in day and how was the first day like?

THanks.


Hi, Trelawny.

Based on what I went through with CLEO, you will have a Legal Writing class, and three substantive law classes including Criminal Law, Contracts, and Property. Depending on the site, you may do Torts in lieu of one of classes just mentioned. The classes are Mon to Fri. Your weekends are free but you'll be a bit busy studying and working on your legal memos.

You will be allowed to move in at least a day or two before CLEO starts. They'll also provide meals and housing which is all covered in the $2K that you pay.[/quote]

Happy New Year!

Thank you for your prompt response. I now see how CLEO gives 1Ls a edge.

My question about the first day was not answered. I inquiring because I am considering to re-take the LSAT in June. If accepted I would like to be placed in the Miami location the same day the LSAT is administered. I wanted to know how the first day is because I do not want to miss a full day of important work. If it's just an orientation then I can most likely catch up the next day.

Btw, what Law school are you attending?[/quote]

Hi, Trelawny.

I'm sorry I missed your question last time. I misunderstood what you originally asked.

You will be assigned a location long before the June LSAT date. Therefore, it's not likely they'll assign or reassign you to Miami since the LSAT date will likely coincide with CLEO.

I originally planned to take the LSAT in June last year during the first day but I was discouraged from doing so. Therefore, they will likely tell you to not take the June LSAT. They will not allow you to even miss the first day of CLEO for the LSAT. If you do, they may ask you to leave CLEO.

Based on what happened last year, we were expected to have already read our assignments (reading and briefing cases) before the first day. They'll issue you your case books the weekend prior to the first day. Trust me....you don't want to miss the first day because they may also have some workshops that you don't want to miss as well as take care of some administrative matters.

I'm at Missouri-KC.

Hope that helps![/quote]

Hi,
Thanks for your response. Yeah I will not take the June exam if I am placed in Miami. Just too much to think about in terms of missing a day for an exam, I took already.

Trelawny
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Trelawny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:27 pm

rfsl2010 wrote:Happy New Year Everyone.

Has anyone who applied for 2010 heard anything? I applied in early Oct. 2009. I received a letter confirming my application is complete. I read the 2009 forum and looks like decisions were made in early Jan on some application. Please let me know if anyone’s received any feedback on their application or a decision. Anxiously waiting.


Hi,
I called Christmas Eve. They told me my application was complete. I just hope the decision is on its way. My mail man hides from me now j\p.

rfsl2010
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby rfsl2010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 am

Trelawny wrote:
rfsl2010 wrote:Happy New Year Everyone.

Has anyone who applied for 2010 heard anything? I applied in early Oct. 2009. I received a letter confirming my application is complete. I read the 2009 forum and looks like decisions were made in early Jan on some application. Please let me know if anyone’s received any feedback on their application or a decision. Anxiously waiting.


Hi,
I called Christmas Eve. They told me my application was complete. I just hope the decision is on its way. My mail man hides from me now j\p.



Good Luck. I called late December and received the same response. hopefully, we'll hear something soon.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:23 am

to quote 50 cent: i've been patiently waiting...

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Oh snap!

just got a call from Ms. Thomasine Williams and had a phone interview with her about the CLEO program. i guess she was impressed with my application file. she didn't offer me admission on the spot but (hopefully!) this is a step in the right direction.

to those who have done CLEO before, is this standard procedure and, if so, are students who do phone interviews usually admitted?

Trelawny
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Trelawny » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:14 pm

That is a step up. I called yesterday and asked for her direct extension. Was denied access. But the rep told me that they will send out letter by the end of January .

What is your disadvantage story if you mind sharing?

User avatar
Gwen
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Gwen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:28 pm

I haven't sent out my app yet. Is there any possibility of me getting in this late in the game?

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Trelawny wrote:That is a step up. I called yesterday and asked for her direct extension. Was denied access. But the rep told me that they will send out letter by the end of January .

What is your disadvantage story if you mind sharing?


first generation Haitian-American. I live in a predominantly-white suburb outside of Boston but grew up in questionable/poor financial standing. also dealt with adversity in terms of being ridiculed for my heritage. this dealt a severe blow to my personal confidence. always found academics as my solace until i reached college, where I pledged for a frat and also succumbed to my personal demons that I had managed to avoid growing up. also dealt with even worse financial times at home and the death of relatives. towards the latter end of my collegiate career, I turned my academics around (kind of), took pride in my heritage, and became a visible student leader on campus.

that's the gist of me.

*by the way, ms. williams was GRILLING me about the classes I did bad in, asking me to provide her an explanations. made me feel like i was in the HOT SEAT and she could revoke my law school acceptances.
Last edited by ATOIsp07 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:33 pm

caliborn wrote:I haven't sent out my app yet. Is there any possibility of me getting in this late in the game?


yes, you can. but send it in ASAP! this time of the year is when most apps. get sent in. CLEO is known for being ultra-competitive. she said she already had 600 applications this year. send it in quick!

*nice avatar btw :wink:

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby fl0w » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 pm

i get the feeling this is for people that just graduated right?

reading about it, I feel like i'd be the oddball as a 27 year old applying to this.

User avatar
Gwen
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Gwen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 pm

fl0w wrote:i get the feeling this is for people that just graduated right?

reading about it, I feel like i'd be the oddball as a 27 year old applying to this.

I hope not. I'm applying and I'm a non-trad

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby fl0w » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 pm

caliborn wrote:
fl0w wrote:i get the feeling this is for people that just graduated right?

reading about it, I feel like i'd be the oddball as a 27 year old applying to this.

I hope not. I'm applying and I'm a non-trad


What persuaded you to apply as a non-traditional? As a fellow non-traditional, i'm interested.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby fl0w » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 pm

also, the program talks about helping URMs get into law school... so is this something you would apply to and do the year before you start your cycle? Like do it in summer 2010 and then apply to matriculate to schools in fall of 2011? I don't see how they can help you if you attend summer 2010 and have already submitted your apps for matriculation in 2010.

And does anyone have more info on the scholarships available after completing this program?

Sorry, I literally just became aware of this after looking at this thread.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby fl0w » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:11 pm

sigh, the more reading i do about this, the less discouraged I am. If you read this page of their website

http://www.cleodivercitynetwork.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.viewPage&PageID=557&varuniqueuserid=92616551533

Under the Scholarships & Awards heading it says the following

CLEO wrote:There are a plethora of scholarships and awards available for students of color. Below are a few links to the best places online for this type of information:
S&A Info (Link 1)
S&A Info (Link 2)


Umm... those are links to google searches. Losing credibility fast, CLEO.

User avatar
Gwen
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Gwen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:37 pm

fl0w wrote:
caliborn wrote:
fl0w wrote:i get the feeling this is for people that just graduated right?

reading about it, I feel like i'd be the oddball as a 27 year old applying to this.

I hope not. I'm applying and I'm a non-trad


What persuaded you to apply as a non-traditional? As a fellow non-traditional, i'm interested.

TLS. Past attendees seemed to have great experiences participating the program. I also like the support they give participates throughout law school. The only downside I can see personally is that the program is 6-weeks. I don't think the hubby will be able to last without me that long




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests