CLEO 2010

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
centricisgreat1908

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby centricisgreat1908 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:33 pm

YourExcellence-ness wrote:
centricisgreat1908 wrote:I am currently being held for further review at UGA, it is a long shot I know, but I am hopeful. If it doesn't work out I still have some great options. I just sent in my deposit for the Summer Institute this morning via certified mail. Do you find out your placement after you send in the deposit or when it is completed paid off?

I really want to go to UGA, My other options are "ok" to say the very least. Yes.. After you send in your deposit you get your location via e-mail. My deadline to pay in-full is coming up early next week.. so I am overnighting the remaining amount today. I really hope this program is worth it. I have no idea what to expect.

It sounds like everyone has different deadlines for paying the remaining amount. It is so great that I will know where I will be sometime next week!! Really pumped about that. Now off to find the rest of this $$$.

YourExcellence-ness

Postby YourExcellence-ness » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:08 am

My final payment has been sent.. I wonder what's next. I want to be a proud CLEO scholar that goes on to give testimony to how "Had it not been for The Lord(and CLEO) on my side, Tell me where would I be!"... We shall see what the end will be. I am truly standing in the need of some serious Law School Assistance!

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:14 am

Congrats to you all that got in to Cleo. I'm applying really l8 in my cycle and also applied l8 to Cleo. I have to wait for a school recommendation to get into the program. :cry:

YourExcellence-ness

Postby YourExcellence-ness » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:10 pm

How are people getting to their locations? Plane..Train..Driving?

JDO

Postby JDO » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:11 am

Have those of you who received the denial that stated "at this time" received any additional information from CLEO?

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Just checking in....is anybody doing the AIE (attitude is Eseential) program?

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:01 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Just checking in....is anybody doing the AIE (attitude is Eseential) program?

I am hoping to, I thought about applying to the 6 week Summer Institute but I though AIE was more up my alley.

I sent all my stuff in two weeks ago.

I will probably do it in LA, you?

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:03 pm

prolyphek wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Just checking in....is anybody doing the AIE (attitude is Eseential) program?

I am hoping to, I thought about applying to the 6 week Summer Institute but I though AIE was more up my alley.

I'm indifferent, really. LA is legit (I've been before) but ATL is crazy, I've heard. Plus, I've never been there.

centricisgreat1908

Re: CLEO 2010 (deposit information)

Postby centricisgreat1908 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Hey Forum,

So I received an email today from CLEO stating they were in receipt of my deposit and they wouldn't let me know what institute I was assigned to until I was paid in full by the due date. I assume this is different than how it was done earlier in the process. So I supposed i won't know where I am going to be until the end of March when the remaining $1800 is due. Just thought I would give people a head's up about that...

On a side note, after being held for further review, I was waitlisted to UGA today. I am not upset, of course I would rather be accepted straight away, but a slow yes is always better than a fast no any day! In the mean time I will be depositing elsewhere...

Cheers,

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
prolyphek wrote:

I'm indifferent, really. LA is legit (I've been before) but ATL is crazy, I've heard. Plus, I've never been there.

I dig it. I've never been to ATL either, thought I would have my shot with going to Emory but they were taking way too long so I pulled my app yesterday. ATL would be cool, LA would be great since it's right next door and I'm sort of leaning towards USC.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:46 pm

prolyphek wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:
prolyphek wrote:

I dig it. I've never been to ATL either, thought I would have my shot with going to Emory but they were taking way too long so I pulled my app yesterday. ATL would be cool, LA would be great since it's right next door and I'm sort of leaning towards USC.

USC's cool! congrats!

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:02 pm

I will probably do it in LA, you?[/quote]

I'm indifferent, really. LA is legit (I've been before) but ATL is crazy, I've heard. Plus, I've never been there.[/quote]

I dig it. I've never been to ATL either, thought I would have my shot with going to Emory but they were taking way too long so I pulled my app yesterday. ATL would be cool, LA would be great since it's right next door and I'm sort of leaning towards USC.[/quote]

USC's cool! congrats![/quote]

Thanks it's contigent on if they match my scholarships at Boston, WULS, and Illinois, we'll see (im holding on for Harvard but if not I have some great choices)

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:11 pm

prolyphek wrote:Thanks it's contigent on if they match my scholarships at Boston, WULS, and Illinois, we'll see (im holding on for Harvard but if not I have some great choices)

If they even come close to matching the scholarship offers, run to USC!

YourExcellence-ness

Re: CLEO 2010 (deposit information)

Postby YourExcellence-ness » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:33 pm

centricisgreat1908 wrote:Hey Forum,

So I received an email today from CLEO stating they were in receipt of my deposit and they wouldn't let me know what institute I was assigned to until I was paid in full by the due date. I assume this is different than how it was done earlier in the process. So I supposed i won't know where I am going to be until the end of March when the remaining $1800 is due. Just thought I would give people a head's up about that...

On a side note, after being held for further review, I was waitlisted to UGA today. I am not upset, of course I would rather be accepted straight away, but a slow yes is always better than a fast no any day! In the mean time I will be depositing elsewhere...

Cheers,

I went from "held for further review" to waitlist for UGA as well.. CONGRATS! I cannot be mad at being place on WL either.. This cycle is sooo DRAINING!! I received my location after i sent my deposit... seems like CLEO changes up for each individual. I am still upset that I wont be in Miami this summer. Missouri seems boring.. but I prob wouldnt be able to concentrate in Miami anyway.

YourExcellence-ness

Postby YourExcellence-ness » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 pm

WHO IS GOING TO BE IN MISSOURI??

tgt007

Postby tgt007 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 pm

http://www.facebook.com/groups/create.p ... 528&ref=mf
2010 CLEO Six Week Summer Institute - Missouri

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 198&ref=nf
2010 CLEO Six Week Summer Institute - FIU

YourExcellence-ness

Postby YourExcellence-ness » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:47 pm

So.. Received a letter from CLEO today saying that they choose your placement location based on Where You Live, Where you would like to attend Law School, and "general requirements to make the 6 week experience more memorable" I still dont understand considering.. I am from the South.. only applied to schools in the South Eastern Region.. and what could be more memorable than MIAMI?!?!

centricisgreat1908

Postby centricisgreat1908 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:39 pm

YourExcellence-ness wrote:So.. Received a letter from CLEO today saying that they choose your placement location based on Where You Live, Where you would like to attend Law School, and "general requirements to make the 6 week experience more memorable" I still dont understand considering.. I am from the South.. only applied to schools in the South Eastern Region.. and what could be more memorable than MIAMI?!?!

Well the greater blessing in it all is that you were selected to participate, came up with the funds to pay for the program and now will have the opportunity to really begin your 1L year in a strong fashion! So many people still waiting to just get an acceptance letter!!! :D

YourExcellence-ness

Postby YourExcellence-ness » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm

centricisgreat1908 wrote:
YourExcellence-ness wrote:So.. Received a letter from CLEO today saying that they choose your placement location based on Where You Live, Where you would like to attend Law School, and "general requirements to make the 6 week experience more memorable" I still dont understand considering.. I am from the South.. only applied to schools in the South Eastern Region.. and what could be more memorable than MIAMI?!?!

Well the greater blessing in it all is that you were selected to participate, came up with the funds to pay for the program and now will have the opportunity to really begin your 1L year in a strong fashion! So many people still waiting to just get an acceptance letter!!! :D

Very True..I wont complain.

texas296

Re: CLEO 2010 Placement Question

Postby texas296 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 pm

I've been accepted to the CLEO summer program but have yet to find any information on placement. I understand that because there are so many applicants this year for law school in general, CLEO will have more difficulty placing their fellows. Does anyone have any information on where or how much help CLEO can give someone who places in the top 10% of their program?

I applied to some T1 schools (top 30) and have been rejected from UTexas, Boston College, UBoston--URM, Texas Resident, LSAT: 159/163 UGPA 2.7 Ivy League; 10 year work experience owning my own business and consulting. I think my GPA is holding me back.

If I do very well at the summer program, would these schools reconsider my application? I'm dying to get in to Texas.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:37 pm

I received a letter from one of my desired law schools today stating that if I am accepted into the CLEO program I will have a seat for the entering class for Fall 2010. I am so excited and I am praying I am accepted into the program.

YourExcellence-ness

Postby YourExcellence-ness » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Great Question (above).. I wish that I had the answer. It would be great to know how well CLEO can help students to be placed despite "the increase of Law School Applicants." I am hesitant to bring this concern to the program's attention by asking that very question in attempt not seem presumptuous. However, I might have to.. we need clarity especially considering the $2,000 and other expenses and sacrifices associated with making a commitment to attend CLEO.

texas296

Postby texas296 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:03 pm

YourExcellence-ness wrote:Great Question (above).. I wish that I had the answer. It would be great to know how well CLEO can help students to be placed despite "the increase of Law School Applicants." I am hesitant to bring this concern to the program's attention by asking that very question in attempt not seem presumptuous. However, I might have to.. we need clarity especially considering the $2,000 and other expenses and sacrifices associated with making a commitment to attend CLEO.

YourExcellence please post what you find out--have you been accepted to any schools? Wonder how much influence they have, I'd do anything to get a shot at Texas.

Kimmie--what school notified you about the conditional acceptance if you don't mind me asking? What are your stats?

I'll be in Miami.

YourExcellence-ness

Postby YourExcellence-ness » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 pm

I most certainly will

texas296

Re: CLEO 2010 Placement Question

Postby texas296 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 am

So I got in touch with an '07 fellow and here is what he had to say about his experience with CLEO and how it helps or doesn't with placement.

Congratulations on your CLEO acceptance! I highly recommend you attend the summer institute.

Now more specifically on to your questions. I can only relay information about CLEO assistance in placement from my own observations during my summer institute in 2007. The majority of fellows had already been accepted to a law school before the institute began. These acceptances ranged everywhere from Berkeley and UVa to more obscure 4th tier schools. There were students who had not been accepted to any law school at the beginning of the program and were placed by summer's end.

Throughout the summer, there are representatives from schools who visit the institute to recruit, this ranges from informal chats and application solicitation to more formal interviews. There are a variety of schools that do this type of recruitment. During my institute, schools included, University of Iowa, University of Wisconsin, University of Denver, UNC, Ohio State. However, there is no consistency to this recruitment, and it may be dependent upon the institute location. My brother attend the summer institute one year later, at a different location, and no school conducted interviews for recruitment purposes. Typically, the law school host institute will recruit from the CLEO fellows.

The students who had the most success with acquiring acceptances during CLEO were those who were waitlisted. I was waitlisted at Ohio State before I attended the summer institute, and received an offer from Ohio State a few days after the institute was over. I do not believe that CLEO did much in the way of facilitating my "placement." I was waitlisted early on and sent several letter, supplemental information to OSU. It was merely coincidence that Ohio State was at the institute to recruit. Before the offer, I have planned on attending SUNY Buffalo. If you are waitlisted at some schools, it is in your best interest to inform them that you intend to attend the summer institute and you remain committed to attending. This may sway some schools, since as you indicated it is your UG GPA that may be the weak factor in your application. I do remember schools like Southern Illinois University and Missouri being at the institute to recruit, and I suspect that your ivy league background would be more valued at those places than than at schools in the northeast like BC and BU--which probably has many ivy leaguers.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”