CLEO 2010

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
rfsl2010
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby rfsl2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:25 pm

received an email from CLEO. CLEO stated "Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to offer you a seat in the 2010 CLEO Summer Institute"

2013esq
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby 2013esq » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:42 pm

rfsl2010 wrote:received an email from CLEO. CLEO stated "Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to offer you a seat in the 2010 CLEO Summer Institute"


Just got the same one. Super bummed.

misslawyer2013
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby misslawyer2013 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:22 am

2013esq wrote:
rfsl2010 wrote:received an email from CLEO. CLEO stated "Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to offer you a seat in the 2010 CLEO Summer Institute"


Just got the same one. Super bummed.


+2

oh well.

amichig
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby amichig » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Again, I know this isn't really the place, but I just got an email of acceptance to their AIE Seminar. A response and $50 non-refundable deposit has to be returned immediately. If any of you applied, might want to check your email!

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 am

amichig wrote:Again, I know this isn't really the place, but I just got an email of acceptance to their AIE Seminar. A response and $50 non-refundable deposit has to be returned immediately. If any of you applied, might want to check your email!



Wait a second! :shock: Wasn't AIE supposed to be FREE! with a $250 travel stipend? Where did that $50 non-refundable deposit come from?

CLEO's looking real sketch to me right now...

User avatar
Jay-Electronica
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm

havent even heard from any schools yet but, got accepted to CLEO today, applied at the beginning of January. Bad news is that there are no more Low Income seats, I have absolutely no way to pay 2000$

I iz bery sad :cry:

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:57 pm

IDILL_E wrote:havent even heard from any schools yet but, got accepted to CLEO today, applied at the beginning of January. Bad news is that there are no more Low Income seats, I have absolutely no way to pay 2000$

I iz bery sad :cry:

Have you considered looking for funding... ie. Outreach programs, church groups, Lions Club, Optimists, Rotary Club, etc...

If I were you, I'd put together a letter and send it out to places like above.

Congrats and good luck!

( :lol: When I googled CLEO, the first thing that came up was "The Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO)". I thought, COOL, he's gonna be the guy that attaches lasers to shark heads!)

User avatar
Jay-Electronica
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Jay-Electronica » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:06 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:havent even heard from any schools yet but, got accepted to CLEO today, applied at the beginning of January. Bad news is that there are no more Low Income seats, I have absolutely no way to pay 2000$

I iz bery sad :cry:

Have you considered looking for funding... ie. Outreach programs, church groups, Lions Club, Optimists, Rotary Club, etc...

If I were you, I'd put together a letter and send it out to places like above.

Congrats and good luck!

( :lol: When I googled CLEO, the first thing that came up was "The Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO)". I thought, COOL, he's gonna be the guy that attaches lasers to shark heads!)

hahah it was the first thing I saw when I googled it as well. Im gonna try my best to come up with the funds, ill def try your suggestions. The outlook is bleak right now tho, but hopefully something will come up.

kimmie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby kimmie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:35 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats when you applied to CLEO? You can pm me if you prefer



IDILL_E wrote:havent even heard from any schools yet but, got accepted to CLEO today, applied at the beginning of January. Bad news is that there are no more Low Income seats, I have absolutely no way to pay 2000$

I iz bery sad :cry:

kimmie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby kimmie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Hello all,

I noticed they extended the deadline just like they did last year..... I just applied probably a week ago, I hope I get a chance in the program

jockinjay-z
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:27 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby jockinjay-z » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Hey I just got into CLEO!! I gotta question though, in the letter it said that upon completion of the 6 week program you may be eligible for up to like a $6000 to your law school in the fall?? Does anyone know how likely it is that people get this? Also if this is pretty likely, then does that essentially make up for the $2000 initial cost and definitely worth doing?

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:29 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:Hey I just got into CLEO!! I gotta question though, in the letter it said that upon completion of the 6 week program you may be eligible for up to like a $6000 to your law school in the fall?? Does anyone know how likely it is that people get this? Also if this is pretty likely, then does that essentially make up for the $2000 initial cost and definitely worth doing?



If you can afford it, it's definitely worth attending. Point. Blank. Period.

GodFavor2010
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:34 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby GodFavor2010 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:05 pm

I agree with you Trelawny. I second your comments.
Trelawny wrote:
legalized wrote:
Trelawny wrote: To All. Don't give up. See about a bank loan. I know for certain my parents and the savings I have will cover the cost. Not like the 2k was a surprise for work on it. Save $100 every week till May.


You assume people are able to do either one of these. Heard about the economy and job sh*tuation lately? Some of us have been looking for work for over a year after losing jobs we just got or having on campus recruiters cancel out at the last minute (and this includes the federal government, ICE, in my case, after they already sent me the itinerary and flight info to DC!).

Banks don't loan just anybody money and that money even if it could be obtained is better served paying for a good law school, not a precursor.

It's not even that I want to do it and can't afford it. I do not need/want it, and can't afford it. I never laid eyes on my undergrad until I showed up for school the day the dorms opened, because I was there on a full scholarship and everything else didn't matter, so it didn't make sense to make 2 trips for precursors and the other handholding b.s. because that is where I had to go anyway out of the schools I applied to.

Same concept here. Doesn't matter if CLEO holds my hand for 6 weeks in the summer or not, I have to get in and get out of law school to carry on with the rest of my goals for my life. If you get my drift. Support is nice but at $2,000 it's not support it's basically Kaplan or Powerscore for 1L.

Now if that is not a required thing to do in order to get the help for LS then I am all for it for the folks that can afford it. But requiring me to spend so much when your point for existence is the disadvantage I face due to income and other factors...is rather scam-mish.


Hmm.. I graduated in 2008 have yet to land a full time job, so for you to assume that I have not heard of an bad economy is an invalid argument.

Your statement "I do not need/want it, and can't afford it. " Then why did you apply ? When you applied it was no surprise of the cost of attending CLEO.

So do not come at me negative. I was just suggesting options to people. Obtaining a bank loan is just a suggestion!!!

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 pm

to be honest, however, obtaining a bank loan isn't worth it. especially because, after time, interest accrues. and, also because, yes, you do get grant/scholly money BUT, in this time, the economy is too unstable and banks are trying to loan money out like that.

sflawgirl
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby sflawgirl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 pm

For the people who already got acceptances/rejections to cleo when did you apply?

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ATOIsp07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:03 pm

sflawgirl wrote:For the people who already got acceptances/rejections to cleo when did you apply?


November 20

huzhongxiaohe
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby huzhongxiaohe » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:11 am

bptbabegyrl wrote:I also attended the six-week program last summer and am now at Howard Law. If anyone has any specific questions about the program or Howard University School of Law send me a PM and I will be glad to answer them :)


Hi! I would like to know what the $2,000 fee covers, e.g. is it just the tuition or is it tuition+COL? And also I wonder what their criteria for admission is based on? Do they look at numbers at all or they just need to make sure that you are URM or disadvantaged? Thanks!!

biobuslaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby biobuslaw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Anyone else get their location assignment? I'll be in Florida...

floppymex
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby floppymex » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:12 pm

-
Last edited by floppymex on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgt007
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby tgt007 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Miami :D

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby ogman05 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:52 pm

tgt007 wrote:Miami :D


Is that where you are going to be?

tgt007
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby tgt007 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:09 pm

Yes. Sorry for the confusion, I will be in Miami for the program.

kimmie
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby kimmie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:23 pm

jockinjay-z wrote:Hey I just got into CLEO!! I gotta question though, in the letter it said that upon completion of the 6 week program you may be eligible for up to like a $6000 to your law school in the fall?? Does anyone know how likely it is that people get this? Also if this is pretty likely, then does that essentially make up for the $2000 initial cost and definitely worth doing?



I'm glad you mentioned this, so it seems that the amount that you are eligible to receive has gone up. When my relative attended the amount was up to $5000 that you could get but to answer your question I think they go by your income and the cost of the school to determine exactly how much you get. What were your stats and when did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? (Message it to me if you want)

biobuslaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby biobuslaw » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:51 am

So we were told not to purchase plane tickets until we've received our "final letter." I noticed in last year's thread this didn't happen until really late in the game, and there is the concern about ticket prices going up the longer you wait. Can anyone from last year let us know if it's safe to assume we can arrive one day before the start date?

Thanks!

Trelawny
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 am

Re: CLEO 2010

Postby Trelawny » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Got rejected. Then got a phone call saying I should hear back from them in March. BOO. Oh well Congrats to everyone.

It sucks that they place you. If I were to get in I would chose Miami because I love the FIU campus.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest