CLEO 2009 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mschina

New

Re: CLEO 2009

Post by mschina » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi everyone, I've been following this discussion for some time now and I'm happy to hear that people are starting to get there CLEO acceptance letters. I recently applied and just received my application confirmation last week. I guess it may be a few more weeks before I hear anything else. I hope to get in because I could use the experience. Anyway, congratulations to those already accepted. :P

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:38 pm

NY: any word?

anyone from northeast coast?

Mayimbe

New

Post by Mayimbe » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm at work right now so I'm not sure if I've received anything today but as of yesterday nothing. I'm in NY and sent my application back in November. :(

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:38 pm

any word? anyone???? Argh, the suspense is killing me

btw how big are the class sizes for CLEO anyway? 2 sections of 80?

mimijd

New

Post by mimijd » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 pm

bonesinger wrote:any word? anyone???? Argh, the suspense is killing me

btw how big are the class sizes for CLEO anyway? 2 sections of 80?
I believe that both locations have 40 students each

mbalde

New

Post by mbalde » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 am

Can anyone please help me finish my application process. I have everything done all i have to do is put the envelope in the mail. I just seem to be having trouble with LSAC. I paid the 12 dollars for the report but i dont know what to do next to make sure they get all my stuff. I have my personal statement in the envelope along with a letter of recommendation and the application fee. I seriously need help and would appreciate anything i can get. Thanks and congrats to all those already accepted.

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:34 am

0. Make sure your LSAC report is completed (letters of recommendation + GPA transcript + LSAT)
1. Fill out application
2. Send application
3. Pay 12 report fee
4. CLEO takes care of the rest.
5. Wait for response.

your LOR are with you or with LSAC? if with you, send them to CLEO with your application, but you should have your LOR sent to LSAc too, law schools will request the GPA + LSAT along with the LOR in one nice package.

araiza99

New

Post by araiza99 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:09 am

mbalde wrote:Can anyone please help me finish my application process. I have everything done all i have to do is put the envelope in the mail. I just seem to be having trouble with LSAC. I paid the 12 dollars for the report but i dont know what to do next to make sure they get all my stuff. I have my personal statement in the envelope along with a letter of recommendation and the application fee. I seriously need help and would appreciate anything i can get. Thanks and congrats to all those already accepted.
If you paid the $12, then that's all you have to do to make the report accessible to CLEO. They have access to request it without you having to do anything special.

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:41 pm

any new acceptances?

I havent gotten anything, it leads me to believe I'm probably not going to get in :9

sandia

New

Post by sandia » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Don't worry Bonesinger. The deadline on their website is February 2, 2008, just because you haven't heard from them yet doesn't mean you aren't in. I applied in early November and received a confirmation letter but nothing else in over a month. Encouraging words for myself too!

Mayimbe

New

Post by Mayimbe » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:58 pm

So I finally got a response from CLEO. I'm from NY and I know some of you from NY have been just as anxious as I have so thought you guys would like to hear that responses ARE being distributed. They somewhat "deferred" me. Let me explain. I sent my CLEO application back in November but hadn't completed my law school applications until late december (I know very stupid of me). So there response was "Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to offer you a seat in the 2009 CLEO Summer Institute. However, in March we will send your name to the Cleo member schools and supporting institutions that you listed on your application in an effort to identify a law school that will nominate you to participate in the program." So I guess my next move would be to contact CLEO ASAP once I receive an acceptance or place on the waiting list to a law school. Anyone ever heard of this happening to anybody and what the outcome was?

Edit: Got an email from Ms. Williams a day after I received the letter I mentioned above. She said she reviewed my file again and wanted to speak to me over the phone. Cleared up some issues with my application and discussed certain other things in the phone conversation. After 10-15 minutes she offered me a spot in to the program :-) Now just gotta wait for the official letter to make sure she wasn't messing with me lol. Good luck to those still waiting...
Last edited by Mayimbe on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

araiza99

New

Post by araiza99 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 am

Mayimbe wrote:So I finally got a response from CLEO. I'm from NY and I know some of you from NY have been just as anxious as I have so thought you guys would like to hear that responses ARE being distributed. They somewhat "deferred" me. Let me explain. I sent my CLEO application back in November but hadn't completed my law school applications until late december (I know very stupid of me). So there response was "Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to offer you a seat in the 2009 CLEO Summer Institute. However, in March we will send your name to the Cleo member schools and supporting institutions that you listed on your application in an effort to identify a law school that will nominate you to participate in the program." So I guess my next move would be to contact CLEO ASAP once I receive an acceptance or place on the waiting list to a law school. Anyone ever heard of this happening to anybody and what the outcome was?
I wonder if the CLEO program is competitive?

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:19 am

im sure it is, maybe thats the problem with my application too. I will contact them tommorow.

EDIT: called them up, they said that if u applied before Nov. 30th, you will get a response by the end of the month.

I don't think I got sponsored by any of the schools I put down.

eman2611

New

Post by eman2611 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Last edited by eman2611 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 pm

i applied back in December, and I haven't heard anything from them yet (except that they got my application).

Sigh, patiently waiting.... :P

mbalde

New

Post by mbalde » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Well guys i did it. I sent my package in yesterday. I'm kinda nervous cause i really wanna get into the program. I really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm really hopeful though because my undergraduate school's law school said that they would nominate me for the program. Will that give me a better chance of getting in? I hope so. Now i guess it is just a waiting game. Good luck to everyone. God Bless

Mayimbe

New

Post by Mayimbe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:05 pm

eman2611 wrote:I sent my deposit in and just got assignment email to university of Pittsburgh from CLEO. YEEEEA!

Any other useful information in that email?

eman2611

New

Post by eman2611 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:44 pm

Last edited by eman2611 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shopdistrict

New

Post by shopdistrict » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 am

I am very anxious while awaiting to hear back from CLEO. I have been living through all of your postings!! I am glad to hear that applicants are receiving acceptance letters. Congrats to all who have been accepted thus far. I sent my application back in early December. I hope I hear good news, I really need and want this chance. I guess I shall post my updates as well.

So the summer program is $2000 correct, how much is the deposit?

araiza99

New

Post by araiza99 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:28 am

shopdistrict wrote:I am very anxious while awaiting to hear back from CLEO. I have been living through all of your postings!! I am glad to hear that applicants are receiving acceptance letters. Congrats to all who have been accepted thus far. I sent my application back in early December. I hope I hear good news, I really need and want this chance. I guess I shall post my updates as well.

So the summer program is $2000 correct, how much is the deposit?
$200 deposit.

Mayimbe

New

Post by Mayimbe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:31 am

I have a question for those of you that have been accepted. Have you guys notified the schools you've applied to that you've been accepted in to CLEO? I was accepted and I'm debating on whether to wait for CLEO to contact the schools on my list or just forward the schools a copy of my acceptance letter. As you probably already figured I haven't received responses from schools yet although I've been complete at most of them. Any suggestions?

araiza99

New

Post by araiza99 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Mayimbe wrote:I have a question for those of you that have been accepted. Have you guys notified the schools you've applied to that you've been accepted in to CLEO? I was accepted and I'm debating on whether to wait for CLEO to contact the schools on my list or just forward the schools a copy of my acceptance letter. As you probably already figured I haven't received responses from schools yet although I've been complete at most of them. Any suggestions?
I have notified every school via email (short, direct note). I just asked them to include the note with my file. I had already received decisions from 75% of the schools I applied. I figured that it might not help with admissions but maybe with scholarships (shows I'm preparing for law school).

M.Love II

New

Post by M.Love II » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:05 pm

I've been following this thread for some time, just as an update. I just got my acceptance and sent my deposit in. I live in Chicago so I'm assuming I'm going to be at Southern Illinois University's location, although Pittsburgh sounds a lot better...seriously!

I sent my file in on November 28, and they received it on Dec 1st. I also sent the director an email requesting to be considered with the first group because my file wasnt complete by that deadline.

Should I primarily focus on the member schools when applying now, will I have an advantage now that I'm accepted?

jrod

New

Post by jrod » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 pm

What is the process for getting law schools to nominate you?

starlight007

New

Post by starlight007 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:20 pm

I believe someone on this thread said they didn't get into CLEO as of yet but their decision letter said that CLEO will send their name to the 8 schools you listed for nomination to participate in the program. So perhaps if one of your member/ssi schools nominate you, it may allow CLEO to accept you into the program.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”