Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: URM.. Canadian
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:41 pm 

From lurking this forum I seen that AA males get a nice boost, however, i was wondering if thats the case for Black Canadians (parents born in africa, came as refugees)

I have a 3.3 GPA in Biology from U of Toronto, (17th ranked in the world, tough bell curve C- first year class avg, C+ in 3rd year)

Strong upward trend ( y1 3.0, y2 3.2, y3 3.8) probably can get gpa up to 3.35 by the end of the fall semester.

I havent wrote the lsat yet, and havent finised the LGB and LRB, but i took a couple timed tests off my laptop and scored about LG -8 LR -5 RC -7 in the low 160s. I was reading off a computer screen and timing was a bit of an issue most likely due to the fact that you read slower off a screen.

I know with 3 months of studying i can definately crack into the low 170s. I know this is alot of speculation, and id only go to an american school in the T6, if not id rather stay in canada.

DO you think i have a chance? and would i get the urm boost? and what lsat would make me competitive at harvard, columbia, nyu?

Post subject: Re: URM.. Canadian
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:01 pm 

0L here but I think you would still qualify for the URM boost. Also, it is too early to tell if you would get accepted into the T6 since your LSAT score is still up in the air and is mere speculation at this point.
However, I do believe you would be able to crack the top 14 if you received the URM boost, received the gpa you said you would receive, and score high 160's/low 170's on the LSAT. As for the T6, I think it is possible, but the only way to know for sure is to apply.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 pm 

from what I can tell, you pretty much get the same boost

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:22 pm 

does the science major give me an advantage?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:29 pm 

Canadian schools are much cheaper, but i can only justify taking loans out for a T6. So i probably wouldnt even apply to US schools without a 170.

As a Black Male (canadian) with a 3.3 in science, what LSAT scores give me a chance at harvard, columbia, nyu? 170? 175?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:32 pm 

canadianbrother wrote:
does the science major give me an advantage?

Not really

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:50 am 

canadianbrother wrote:
Canadian schools are much cheaper, but i can only justify taking loans out for a T6. So i probably wouldnt even apply to US schools without a 170.

As a Black Male (canadian) with a 3.3 in science, what LSAT scores give me a chance at harvard, columbia, nyu? 170? 175?

You probably need at least a 170 to have a chance at Harvard. 172+ makes your odds better. Keep in mind that if you score between 170 and 175, your GPA might still be prohibitive. There were a few AA males (myself included) who had higher GPAs and 170-175 LSATs and didn't get Harvard.

Columbia and NYU should be okay as long as you get 167+. You may not even need to do that well for those schools to jump at your app.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:56 pm 

Do they generally throw money at URMs?

Cause i did the math and cost of attendance at a Canadian school like U Calgary (booming market oil) would be $25k a year, plus govt grants and school grants about 10k and we get loans with cheap interest (0.5+ prime = 3.5%), however canadian biglaw pays no way close to american, we have to article for a year at 70K, but then goes up 80, 110, 120, 150, 170, 190, 210 (7th year) at 1750 billables

But the difference in Canada is even at top firms, partnership is realistic, because firms arent nearly as leveraged, and since firms actually hire for future partners, its a 1:1 ratio usually 1/7 first years get equity partnership at that firm, and when you factor voluntary leaves into smaller firms or inhouse (because we arent tied down by debt). That 1/7 looks pretty good when you factor those who lateral to a similar firm, go inhouse voluntarily, or settle down in small law, if you gun partner, you have a good shot here.

If im taking Columbia at sticker about 250 plus 20 from UG, compared to 30 UoCalgary plus 20 from ug, my after loan salary would be pretty close ( Columbia would be a mortgage, UofCalgary would be a line of credit.If I tried to pay back 50k a year and live in new york it be left with the same as paying backing 10k a year at calgary. not to mention im prolly kicked out of big law after 5 years in nyc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:08 pm 

canadianbrother wrote:
Do they generally throw money at URMs?

Cause i did the math and cost of attendance at a Canadian school like U Calgary (booming market oil) would be $25k a year, plus govt grants and school grants about 10k and we get loans with cheap interest (0.5+ prime = 3.5%), however canadian biglaw pays no way close to american, we have to article for a year at 70K, but then goes up 80, 110, 120, 150, 170, 190, 210 (7th year) at 1750 billables

But the difference in Canada is even at top firms, partnership is realistic, because firms arent nearly as leveraged, and since firms actually hire for future partners, its a 1:1 ratio usually 1/7 first years get equity partnership at that firm, and when you factor voluntary leaves into smaller firms or inhouse (because we arent tied down by debt). That 1/7 looks pretty good when you factor those who lateral to a similar firm, go inhouse voluntarily, or settle down in small law, if you gun partner, you have a good shot here.

If im taking Columbia at sticker about 250 plus 20 from UG, compared to 30 UoCalgary plus 20 from ug, my after loan salary would be pretty close ( Columbia would be a mortgage, UofCalgary would be a line of credit.If I tried to pay back 50k a year and live in new york it be left with the same as paying backing 10k a year at calgary. not to mention im prolly kicked out of big law after 5 years in nyc

Let lawschoolnumbers.com and mylsn.info be your friends.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:21 pm 

Does receiving an email giving information specifically tailored to black students mean I'm getting the boost? Because I received one from a UC Hastings linking with their Black Law Student club.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:07 pm 

If you have a reasonably good shot at a 70k/year job that requires 1750 hours of billables with a strong likelihood of making partner and only have to pay 25k/year to get that spot, I would take that in a heartbeat.

Furthermore, being an international means you may have a harder time getting an American employer to go along with your immigration requirements. And then to top that off, you truly are biglaw or bust, because you won't be able to get federal student loans.

Run to your favorite Canadian school.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:44 pm 

If you got high 160s you would have a chance. Your GPA is low; the general consensus is 3.5+ 164+ =good shot at H.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:15 pm 

I would say the Black Canadian with a lowish GPA maybe the one situation going to the US as a Canadian maybe a good idea(the AA boast plus LSAT help is a bit of a game changer and can get you into a school that carries more weight[similarly situated Canadian Aboriginal Students are likely ) ,however strong last two years is helpful for Canadian Schools when considering drops and last two/best two school.

Equally important Canada does not have a bad law school yet(be careful of the new ones but Thompson Rivers places fairly well its first year), basically excellent jobs are open to those who attend any school. It sounds like you have a interest back background OP so be sure the apply special access were that is open to you, also be sure to visit lawstudents.ca if you haven't already

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:41 am 

^ thats the only reason im even applying to the US.

I scored 173 and 175 on my last 2 PTs, gonna do 3 more going into the test this saturaday. Hopefully I can hit a 170.

Im just worried about the citizenship issue, some say it disqualifies me from the urm boost some say it doesnt matter, guess ill have to find out for myself.

How generous are they with money for URMs? Say a 3.3 170. Im gonna blanket the t14 just to negotiate aid, but I wouldnt go to anything except t6+penn.