How to get $$$ as a URM at regional school

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Barack O'Drama

How to get $$$ as a URM at regional school

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Hey guys,

I tried to ask this before and got no replies, so I deleted. I guess it may have been too long. Here's a shortened version.

AA male URM 3.85-3.92 GPA, and currently studying for Sept 2016 LSAT.

2015 graduate from a state school. decent softs (summa cum laude, phi beta kappa, numerous awards, NYS legislature internship, etc)

Wondering what LSAT score combined with my GPA and softs can get me full scholarship at my regional school. I am debating attending if I can gain a full ride. I have family friends who can secure me a job after law school and there are good options if one wishes to practice in gov't or PI locally/ at a state level.

The school has numbers pretty typical of a TTT. The 75%tiles at the school are 3.54 and 153 if that helps determine what I may need.

Thanks in advanced guys :D

GreekOmega12

Re: How to get $$$ as a URM at regional school

Postby GreekOmega12 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Being strongly above both 75ths will nearly guarantee you a full ride as a urm. Anything over 157 or so and you should be solid. They might YP you though. However you have a great opportunity to knock the Lsat out of the park and get full rides from t14s.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:18 pm

GreekOmega12 wrote:Being strongly above both 75ths will nearly guarantee you a full ride as a urm. Anything over 157 or so and you should be solid. They might YP you though. However you have a great opportunity to knock the Lsat out of the park and get full rides from t14s.

Thanks man, it is definitely appreciated. I also plan to knock the LSAT out of the park and hopefully get a full ride to some T-14s as well. I was just really curious as to what regional schools require of URMs to get a full ride.

Budfox55

Postby Budfox55 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:30 pm

I would do some research into the school to find out whether or not they give out full rides.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Budfox55 wrote:I would do some research into the school to find out whether or not they give out full rides.

I set up a phone appointment with the school for Thursday to specifically see if they do. I couldn't find anything on their website and when I emailed I got an auto response.

Thanks, I guess its not smart to assume they do just because of grades..

EDIT: They do indeed have a full tuition scholarship!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”