AA male, ~3.8 GPA and 167 LSAT -- Chance me

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Wvwv123

AA male, ~3.8 GPA and 167 LSAT -- Chance me

Postby Wvwv123 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:20 pm

Hey all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

As an AA male, a 3.8 GPA (more or less) and a 167 LSAT, what do you all think my odds are at getting into HYS or CCN?

December 2015 was my first time taking the test, but I'm wondering now whether I should apply this cycle or else retake and apply in the next. Any help that you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I finished undergrad in 2011 and, since then, I've worked and did some graduate degree from a pretty competitive program (I don't want to be more precise than that). As well, I mentioned before that I was an "AA male with no criminal record" which, thanks to mvp99, I realized sounded extremely weird, and so I changed it. To be clear, I don't have a criminal record, but I only put that in there because I know that having one can alter one's chances at getting into schools.
Last edited by Wvwv123 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mvp99

Re: AA male, ~3.8 GPA and 167 LSAT -- Chance me

Postby mvp99 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:26 pm

i think its odd you had to lead with "as an AA male with no criminal record" i dont think anyone here would have asked had you not mentioned the fact

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:27 pm

mylsn.info for chances

Wvwv123

Postby Wvwv123 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:33 pm

b

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:35 pm

lymenheimer wrote:mylsn.info for chances

lymenheimer stop telling people to do this in every chance me thread.

OP with those numbers the common advice on TLS for AA aplicants is that you should be very competitive for H and good chance at YS. You should be close to a lock for CCN and down.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:02 pm

cdotson2 wrote:

OP with those numbers the common advice on TLS for AA aplicants is that you should be very competitive for H and good chance at YS. You should be close to a lock for CCN and down.

I check mylsn before I post it. There's no information you have over mylsn. lol at thinking you do.

Wvwv123

Postby Wvwv123 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:07 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

I check mylsn before I post it. There's no information you have over mylsn. lol at thinking you do.

lymenheimer, I understand your point. The only thing is that I did check mylsn before I posted, its just that when I plugged in my numbers it turned out that there were only like 4 or 5 people with comparable numbers to mine over the past 5 years applying to the schools I want to get into on that site, so I felt that the sample wasn't large enough.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Wvwv123 wrote:lymenheimer, I understand your point. The only thing is that I did check mylsn before I posted, its just that when I plugged in my numbers it turned out that there were only like 4 or 5 people with comparable numbers to mine over the past 5 years applying to the schools I want to get into on that site, so I felt that the sample wasn't large enough.

I don't know where anyone on TLS would get a sample that's large enough to confidently give you your chances. Sure, maybe advice on where to apply but you already know where you should apply.

fliptrip

Postby fliptrip » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:33 pm

cdotson2 wrote:

OP with those numbers the common advice on TLS for AA aplicants is that you should be very competitive for H and good non-zero chance at YS. You should be close to a lock for CCN and down.

You just never, ever, ever know with Yale or Stanford. It would be surprising if you didn't get H. Good luck!

jrass

Postby jrass » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:41 pm

You' should get a full ride every where your GPA is above median, but it will be smart to wait for HYS' aid packages. Have someone look at everything you submit, and try to put together a conservative application because it's not really worth it for you to take risks.

fliptrip

Postby fliptrip » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:44 pm

jrass wrote:You' should get a full ride every where your GPA is above median, but it will be smart to wait for HYS' aid packages. Have someone look at everything you submit, and try to put together a conservative application because it's not really worth it for you to take risks.

Definitely not a cinch, but I definitely have seen folks pull Dillards with your numbers. To me, a Dillard is a pretty sweet deal.

mynameismyname

Postby mynameismyname » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:56 pm

You'll get accepted everywhere with full rides likely 7-14.

cdotson2

Postby cdotson2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:57 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

At least post a picture of the chart... and as someone who has read through every URM cycle thread on this website I can say with certainty that there is a lot more information within TLS than the incredibly small sample size of AA applicants with OP's scores on mylsn. not saying mylsn is not useful, but we actually do have information to supplement mylsn on tls.

also both TLS and Mylsn have self reporting issues.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:00 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

At least post a picture of the chart... and as someone who has read through every URM cycle thread on this website I can say with certainty that there is a lot more information within TLS than the incredibly small sample size of AA applicants with OP's scores on mylsn. not saying mylsn is not useful, but we actually do have information to supplement mylsn on tls.

For advice about where to apply. You can't give op his chances though. I'd like to see your chart for that. Op isn't going to not apply anywhere based on his mylsn chart, so idk the purpose of this thread.

GoogleWasMyIdea

Postby GoogleWasMyIdea » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:24 pm

You'll have an awesome cycle. The review process is much more idiosyncratic for URMs (AAs in particular), so looking at sites like myLSN isn't that useful. Make sure your application is perfect. Convey a clear story throughout your entire application (i.e. resume, personal statement, diversity statement, and why x statement). Most importantly, don't sell yourself short. A quality application will take you a long way (potential HYS acceptances) while a mediocre application will have you striking out at HYS and probably CCN + B.

tl;dr Make sure you're essays/application are awesome and you can book your ticket to a T6.

Wvwv123

Postby Wvwv123 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:47 pm

jrass wrote:You' should get a full ride every where your GPA is above median, but it will be smart to wait for HYS' aid packages. Have someone look at everything you submit, and try to put together a conservative application because it's not really worth it for you to take risks.

When you say that I should "wait for HYS' aid packages", am I to take it as meaning that you think I'm a lock at those schools?

180kickflip

Postby 180kickflip » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:43 am

lymenheimer wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

For advice about where to apply. You can't give op his chances though. I'd like to see your chart for that. Op isn't going to not apply anywhere based on his mylsn chart, so idk the purpose of this thread.

You're totally right that this Op should apply everywhere, and if they just looked at their chart, they'd get that without asking where to apply here. Still, I agree with cdotson that many TLS users do have valuable insight that can supplement lsn.

I mean...at the end of the day, lsn is just a collection of anecdotes, so anyone who can offer a few anecdotal outcomes that aren't on lsn is providing valuable info.

Pointing new users to lsn in any way is a big help for sure, but for someone as experienced as you, I don't think posting the chart (especially if you look at it first already) would be too difficult. It would however be a nice gesture and a solid addition to the threads. Granted, not everyone is here to be overly "nice," but one of the best things about the URM forum over the years has been the number of users who are. You and cdotson come off as two of the most knowledgable frequent posters in here, and I think the newbies can learn a lot from you guys(girls), so let's try to leave the extra stuff in the regular forums =)

Op-
You're basically a lock (likely with a near full to full scholly) for everything under maybe Berkeley. Unless your app has a glaring weakness, you should be in everywhere under HYS (with some big $ there too). HYS is going to be tighter. Applicants on TLS with your numbers have more often than not snagged H, been a toss up at S, and been rejected at Y. Check through the last few years cycle results threads to get a better feeling for it. Good luck!

Wvwv123

Postby Wvwv123 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:37 pm

180kickflip wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:

You're totally right that this Op should apply everywhere, and if they just looked at their chart, they'd get that without asking where to apply here. Still, I agree with cdotson that many TLS users do have valuable insight that can supplement lsn.

I mean...at the end of the day, lsn is just a collection of anecdotes, so anyone who can offer a few anecdotal outcomes that aren't on lsn is providing valuable info.

Pointing new users to lsn in any way is a big help for sure, but for someone as experienced as you, I don't think posting the chart (especially if you look at it first already) would be too difficult. It would however be a nice gesture and a solid addition to the threads. Granted, not everyone is here to be overly "nice," but one of the best things about the URM forum over the years has been the number of users who are. You and cdotson come off as two of the most knowledgable frequent posters in here, and I think the newbies can learn a lot from you guys(girls), so let's try to leave the extra stuff in the regular forums =)

Op-
You're basically a lock (likely with a near full to full scholly) for everything under maybe Berkeley. Unless your app has a glaring weakness, you should be in everywhere under HYS (with some big $ there too). HYS is going to be tighter. Applicants on TLS with your numbers have more often than not snagged H, been a toss up at S, and been rejected at Y. Check through the last few years cycle results threads to get a better feeling for it. Good luck!

I should've been clearer but what I'm really interested in knowing is whether my chances at HYS are so up in the air that it would be worth it for me to retake the lsat and apply next cycle, because my main goal is to get into at least one of them. What do you think?

cbbinnyc

Postby cbbinnyc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Wvwv123 wrote:I should've been clearer but what I'm really interested in knowing is whether my chances at HYS are so up in the air that it would be worth it for me to retake the lsat and apply next cycle, because my main goal is to get into at least one of them. What do you think?

Your numbers are likely good enough to get you into H, assuming you submit an otherwise polished app. IMO, you should let this cycle play out a bit before devoting the time and energy to a retake.

fliptrip

Postby fliptrip » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:01 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:
Wvwv123 wrote:I should've been clearer but what I'm really interested in knowing is whether my chances at HYS are so up in the air that it would be worth it for me to retake the lsat and apply next cycle, because my main goal is to get into at least one of them. What do you think?

Your numbers are likely good enough to get you into H, assuming you submit an otherwise polished app. IMO, you should let this cycle play out a bit before devoting the time and energy to a retake.

Totally agree that as you stand, you have a good enough shot at H to make a retake unnecessary. With your w/e, I think your shot at Harvard is so good that I'd call it a lock except for the fact that you never want to call anything a lock. I mean you could screw up your interview. Folks have gotten both Stanford and Yale with your numbers and folks with better numbers have been dinged, so at this point I don't think it's going to be a numbers game.

In any case, get those apps out ASAP. You're getting close to being late in the cycle. Good luck!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”