Page 40 of 41

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:59 pm
by A. Nony Mouse
^this is correct. Schools ask how you identify, and then decide what to do with that. You don't check a URM box. (Also, I moved this to the appropriate thread.)

Re: Middle Easterners are not considered a "URM"?

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:08 pm
by BobBoblaw
pleaseberkeley wrote:I assumed that someone who is of Afghan descent, Tajik descent, etc (obscure Middle Eastern/central asian) would be considered an underrepresented minority. But I am also hearing that this box should only be checked if you are hispanic or latino, american indian, or african american. Is there a URM box you check, or do you just get filed under this category if you are black, Hispanic, or indian? What happens if you check it anyway because, well, you are an underrepresented minority but not a "URM" in this law school context? I mean if someone who's parents are from Uzbekistan check the "URM" box, there should never be a problem about this, ever. Is there some consequence if he does?


I believe that middle easterners must generally check the "white/Caucasian" box. You could still deal with your unique heritage as part of your PS or in a diversity statement.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:14 pm
by ojpossum
Hi all! So interesting circumstances here: my mom's uncle recently came into the picture since my mom's dad died (her dad left her at a young age), filled my mom in on her dad's side of the family and spoke about our Native American roots (supposedly both of my great-grandparents were Cherokee). Our family always had a vague sense that we might have native roots but since my mom wasn't in contact at all with her dad's family didn't have any specifics/proof. She's asked me to help her research her family and I was able to trace ancestors back to the Dawes Rolls. I'm Mexican-American (up until this point I thought just half mexican and half white) and have identified myself as such all of my life, even wrote my diversity statement about identifying with my mexican roots. Would it be appropriate to identify as Native American as well? My mom is looking into registering for the tribe but because this is all so recent she hasn't acted on it so obviously I would not have a tribal enrollment number. I'm curious about this new revelation but don't want to come across as disingenuous since I haven't added native american as part of my identification in the past. Thanks for weighing in on this and for your honesty, I appreciate it!

tldr: just found out native american, do I add this as another box I check in addition to the mexican and caucasian boxes?

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:44 pm
by intltradefuturelwyr
ojpossum wrote:Hi all! So interesting circumstances here: my mom's uncle recently came into the picture since my mom's dad died (her dad left her at a young age), filled my mom in on her dad's side of the family and spoke about our Native American roots (supposedly both of my great-grandparents were Cherokee). Our family always had a vague sense that we might have native roots but since my mom wasn't in contact at all with her dad's family didn't have any specifics/proof. She's asked me to help her research her family and I was able to trace ancestors back to the Dawes Rolls. I'm Mexican-American (up until this point I thought just half mexican and half white) and have identified myself as such all of my life, even wrote my diversity statement about identifying with my mexican roots. Would it be appropriate to identify as Native American as well? My mom is looking into registering for the tribe but because this is all so recent she hasn't acted on it so obviously I would not have a tribal enrollment number. I'm curious about this new revelation but don't want to come across as disingenuous since I haven't added native american as part of my identification in the past. Thanks for weighing in on this and for your honesty, I appreciate it!

tldr: just found out native american, do I add this as another box I check in addition to the mexican and caucasian boxes?


If you're mestizo, they should know that you are part native, but I wouldn't count on that--so I'd check yes. However, some ask for specific tribes so be prepared for that but if you know what tribe you're affiliated with, I don't know why it would be a problem (I don't believe they ask for a number). I'm Mexican American too but just put white because there is no way to confirm my Native heritage and it really hasn't been a big part of my life. I was worried if I put it, I would be asked about it in interviews and can't really connect it in anyway to my life right now.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 pm
by Tha_Trademark
.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:39 pm
by thazel
Hi everyone! I'm half Zimbabwean African and half caucasian New Zealander - am I considered a URM due to my african side?

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 pm
by DriveLikeNashvillian
thazel wrote:Hi everyone! I'm half Zimbabwean African and half caucasian New Zealander - am I considered a URM due to my african side?


Yeah, definitely. I'm half-black/white, and for all intents and purposes look like a white dude, but I've been claiming URM on all my apps. I wrote about that in my diversity statement and focused on some of the specific circumstances that have come about in my life because of my ethnic heritage and judging by my offers, mediocre numbers, and mediocre softs, I definitely got the "urm boost."

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:07 pm
by thazel
DriveLikeNashvillian wrote:
thazel wrote:Hi everyone! I'm half Zimbabwean African and half caucasian New Zealander - am I considered a URM due to my african side?


Yeah, definitely. I'm half-black/white, and for all intents and purposes look like a white dude, but I've been claiming URM on all my apps. I wrote about that in my diversity statement and focused on some of the specific circumstances that have come about in my life because of my ethnic heritage and judging by my offers, mediocre numbers, and mediocre softs, I definitely got the "urm boost."


Wonderful, thanks for sharing your experience as a URM. Will definitely be claiming it on my apps.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 am
by ojpossum
intltradefuturelwyr wrote:
ojpossum wrote:Hi all! So interesting circumstances here: my mom's uncle recently came into the picture since my mom's dad died (her dad left her at a young age), filled my mom in on her dad's side of the family and spoke about our Native American roots (supposedly both of my great-grandparents were Cherokee). Our family always had a vague sense that we might have native roots but since my mom wasn't in contact at all with her dad's family didn't have any specifics/proof. She's asked me to help her research her family and I was able to trace ancestors back to the Dawes Rolls. I'm Mexican-American (up until this point I thought just half mexican and half white) and have identified myself as such all of my life, even wrote my diversity statement about identifying with my mexican roots. Would it be appropriate to identify as Native American as well? My mom is looking into registering for the tribe but because this is all so recent she hasn't acted on it so obviously I would not have a tribal enrollment number. I'm curious about this new revelation but don't want to come across as disingenuous since I haven't added native american as part of my identification in the past. Thanks for weighing in on this and for your honesty, I appreciate it!

tldr: just found out native american, do I add this as another box I check in addition to the mexican and caucasian boxes?


If you're mestizo, they should know that you are part native, but I wouldn't count on that--so I'd check yes. However, some ask for specific tribes so be prepared for that but if you know what tribe you're affiliated with, I don't know why it would be a problem (I don't believe they ask for a number). I'm Mexican American too but just put white because there is no way to confirm my Native heritage and it really hasn't been a big part of my life. I was worried if I put it, I would be asked about it in interviews and can't really connect it in anyway to my life right now.



Thanks for the response and perspective! I know the tribe I'm affiliated with but am not officially registered so I would not be listing an enrollment ID. After thinking about it I've decided to put everything I am: Mexican-American, Native American (Cherokee), and Caucasian/European and let the schools decide what they want to do with that info. My diversity statement will be about my Mexican-American roots so hopefully that will help give schools more insight.

Re: Cubans

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:37 pm
by Aidan102
Mod edit: spam

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:06 pm
by Doutrinador1
i´m a Brazilian who will apply to Harvard Law School, am i a URM?

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:10 pm
by WamBamThankYouMaam
Doutrinador1 wrote:i´m a Brazilian who will apply to Harvard Law School, am i a URM?

No, but if you've lived in Brazil or have a unique story you can always write a diversity statement

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:18 pm
by Doutrinador1
WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
Doutrinador1 wrote:i´m a Brazilian who will apply to Harvard Law School, am i a URM?

No, but if you've lived in Brazil or have a unique story you can always write a diversity statement



nice, thanks!

can you have tell me more about this diversity statement? i will apply in 2019 and i´m kind of lost hahaha

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:36 pm
by stego
Tha_Trademark wrote:Here's my situation: I am a card-carrying member of 2 federally recognized American Indian tribes. However, I am only 1/32 and have no plans to write a diversity statement or address my heritage anywhere in my app. Will it count against me if I mark the American Indian box and provide by Tribal ID numbers but don't otherwise address it in my app?

No, why would it? Just say you're white (i assume) and Native and list the tribes you belong to.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:14 pm
by LesPaul1995
.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 pm
by poptart123
LesPaul1995 wrote:My great aunt is Cherokee, and so my six first cousins are Cherokee. We are blood related rather than marriage related. Cousins share ~14% DNA with me. Am I able to claim NA?


If your blood-related great aunt is Cherokee shouldn't somebody that you descend directly from be Cherokee as well?

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 pm
by A. Nony Mouse
LesPaul1995 wrote:My great aunt is Cherokee, and so my six first cousins are Cherokee. We are blood related rather than marriage related. Cousins share ~14% DNA with me. Am I able to claim NA?

Are you an enrolled member of the nation? If not, have you actually identified as Cherokee at any point and do you have any cultural affiliation (participate in tribal activities or such)? If no to both, don't claim it.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 pm
by LesPaul1995
.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:45 pm
by A. Nony Mouse
Was your great-aunt around in 1898-1914 when the Dawes rolls were compiled?

In any case, if you aren't enrolled *and* you don't participate in any of the Cherokee communities in any way, I wouldn't ID as NA for the first time when applying to law school. But I also can't tell you how you identify, and I know Cherokee is difficult because getting enrolled can be really hard. There's just a semi-unfortunate practice of people suddenly discovering NA ancestry when they're applying to schools. And it's not really whether you can "claim" something as much as whether this is actually how you identify.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:08 pm
by LesPaul1995
.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:08 pm
by texas96
DriveLikeNashvillian wrote:
thazel wrote:Hi everyone! I'm half Zimbabwean African and half caucasian New Zealander - am I considered a URM due to my african side?


Yeah, definitely. I'm half-black/white, and for all intents and purposes look like a white dude, but I've been claiming URM on all my apps. I wrote about that in my diversity statement and focused on some of the specific circumstances that have come about in my life because of my ethnic heritage and judging by my offers, mediocre numbers, and mediocre softs, I definitely got the "urm boost."



When you say "claiming URM", what do you mean? I'm also half black, so I'm looking for advice.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:27 pm
by usaorbust
.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:59 pm
by DorkothyParker
I generally identify as white and Hispanic. My dad is sooo white! My mom is Texican (born and raised in Texas in Mexican community, spoke Spanish as a first language, learned English through school.). Best I know, both her parents were also born in the USA but it gets muddy regarding the previous generation (some Texas born, at least 1 great-great from Mexico.). All relatives in that side would identify as Mexican-American.

I don't speak Spanish really, but when given the option I've always picked both Caucasian and Hispanic and this is how I'm registered on LSAC. I'm not sure if this qualifies as Mexican since I'm at least third generation American and because I don't speak Spanish. Would the latter be an expectation?
Thoughts?

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 pm
by Necho2
DorkothyParker wrote:I generally identify as white and Hispanic. My dad is sooo white! My mom is Texican (born and raised in Texas in Mexican community, spoke Spanish as a first language, learned English through school.). Best I know, both her parents were also born in the USA but it gets muddy regarding the previous generation (some Texas born, at least 1 great-great from Mexico.). All relatives in that side would identify as Mexican-American.

I don't speak Spanish really, but when given the option I've always picked both Caucasian and Hispanic and this is how I'm registered on LSAC. I'm not sure if this qualifies as Mexican since I'm at least third generation American and because I don't speak Spanish. Would the latter be an expectation?
Thoughts?

Most applications will have a specific question essentially asking "Are you Hispanic?" Given your background and how you've self-identified in the past, you'd say yes. Then usually they'll ask a broader ethnic question that may or may not have both white and hispanic, and you'd be able to select both there, or only white if there isn't a specific hispanic/latino option.

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:19 pm
by studystudystudy
Would I be considered a URM if I listed my ethnicity as: American Indian, Chicano/Mexican, European, Other Caucasian/White?

I'm 50% Romanian and my grandma was Mexican and Native American. Specifically, from the Navajo and Tarahumara tribes. I don't have a card to prove this, but do have a document that states my Grandma was Tarahumara.

Thanks in advance.