Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
Nightrunner
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Nightrunner » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:30 pm

deebanger wrote:hey everybody! a little bit of background info on myself. I was born and brought up in South India, and I moved to the united states when I was 17 after graduating from high school in south india. I took a year of just to work, earn money for school, get used to a new culture, and then I took the sat's and started college at the fall of 2011. Im now currently a third year undergrad at a good public school in california. So, my story is a bit unconventional from the traditional indian americans who apply to law school. From my undertstanding, despite my unconventional story, I cannot choose URM right? am i correct or am i allowed to choose URM, If i do not choose URM , and just describe my upbringing and my journey to the united states in the personal statement help me?

Yes. "URM" isn't a box you can select -- you just opt to disclose your race, and if that matters to the particular school to which you are applying, then you will get some sort of admissions "boost." Generally speaking, Indian (subcontinent, not American Indian) is not a URM.

However, there will be a great deal of material for you to utilize in your Diversity Statement and, possibly, in your personal statement. While you might not qualify or some general URM admissions boost, don't be surprised to find that an individual admissions dean or two is interested in what uniqueness you bring to the incoming class and judges your application accordingly.

deebanger
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby deebanger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
deebanger wrote:hey everybody! a little bit of background info on myself. I was born and brought up in South India, and I moved to the united states when I was 17 after graduating from high school in south india. I took a year of just to work, earn money for school, get used to a new culture, and then I took the sat's and started college at the fall of 2011. Im now currently a third year undergrad at a good public school in california. So, my story is a bit unconventional from the traditional indian americans who apply to law school. From my undertstanding, despite my unconventional story, I cannot choose URM right? am i correct or am i allowed to choose URM, If i do not choose URM , and just describe my upbringing and my journey to the united states in the personal statement help me?

Yes. "URM" isn't a box you can select -- you just opt to disclose your race, and if that matters to the particular school to which you are applying, then you will get some sort of admissions "boost." Generally speaking, Indian (subcontinent, not American Indian) is not a URM.

However, there will be a great deal of material for you to utilize in your Diversity Statement and, possibly, in your personal statement. While you might not qualify or some general URM admissions boost, don't be surprised to find that an individual admissions dean or two is interested in what uniqueness you bring to the incoming class and judges your application accordingly.


.
Last edited by deebanger on Wed May 07, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

pearla
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby pearla » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:13 am

Nova wrote:Generally, your friend will get in almost everywhere he is at or above the lsat median.

Chances depend a lot on GPA. It sounds like your friend has a US undergrad GPA.

Play with http://WWW.mylsn.info (click the urm only box) to see what his chances are with whatever his GPA and hypothetical LSAT score are



He does not have a US undergrad GPA, just a master.

User avatar
Nightrunner
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Nightrunner » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:27 am

pearla wrote:
Nova wrote:Generally, your friend will get in almost everywhere he is at or above the lsat median.

Chances depend a lot on GPA. It sounds like your friend has a US undergrad GPA.

Play with http://WWW.mylsn.info (click the urm only box) to see what his chances are with whatever his GPA and hypothetical LSAT score are



He does not have a US undergrad GPA, just a master.

Then he absolutely needs to do well on the LSAT, as it is the only number that schools will report (and therefore, in a very real way, the only number admissions will care about).

pearla
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby pearla » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:11 am

Nightrunner wrote:
pearla wrote:
Nova wrote:Generally, your friend will get in almost everywhere he is at or above the lsat median.

Chances depend a lot on GPA. It sounds like your friend has a US undergrad GPA.

Play with http://WWW.mylsn.info (click the urm only box) to see what his chances are with whatever his GPA and hypothetical LSAT score are



He does not have a US undergrad GPA, just a master.

Then he absolutely needs to do well on the LSAT, as it is the only number that schools will report (and therefore, in a very real way, the only number admissions will care about).


How would one then define "well" in his circumstances? AA boost + Mali is a French speaking country. His masters GPA > 4.00 + publications in english. I believe his poor results on the lsat are due to time constraints coupled with the language.

pearla
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby pearla » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:16 am

I found this might help some of you. This data was gathered as part of a lawsuit against UC schools in CA. No meaning to offense or anger anyone.

UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) offered admission to every black applicant with both a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 or above and a Law School Admission Test (LSAT) percentile score of 90 or above. Only 42 percent of white applicants in the same GPA and LSAT range were offered admission.

UC Berkeley School of Law offered admission to all four black applicants having both GPAs of 3.25-3.49 and LSAT percentile scores of 70-74.9. None of the 34 white or 12 Asian applicants in the same GPA and LSAT range were offered admission.

At UC Davis School of Law all 3 black applicants having both GPAs of 2.75-2.99 and LSAT percentile scores of 70-74.9 were offered admission. None of the 12 white and 11 Asian applicants in the same GPA and LSAT range were offered admission.

UC Davis School of Law offered admission to 15 of 29 black applicants with both GPAs of 2.5-3.49 and LSAT percentile scores of 60-89.9. None of the 503 white applicants in that same GPA and LSAT range were offered admission.

At UCLA School of Law, all 10 black applicants and 2 of 15 Hispanic applicants having both GPAs of 2.75-2.99 and LSAT percentile scores of 75-79.9 were offered admission. None of the 29 white and 13 Asian applicants in the same GPA and LSAT range were offered admission.

UCLA School of Law offered admission to 61 percent of black applicants having both a GPA of 2.5-3.49 and an LSAT percentile score of 60-89.9. Only 1 percent of the white and 7 percent of the Asian applicants in the same GPA and LSAT range were offered admission.

For applicants with an LSAT percentile score of less than 75, UCLA School of Law offered admission to only 1 of 761 white applicants while 52 of 448 Hispanic and 68 of 392 black applicants were offered admission.

Hastings College of the Law offered admission to only 7 of 724 white and 6 of 269 Asian applicants having both a GPA of less than 3.25 and an LSAT percentile score of 30-89.9. Hastings offered admission to 37 of 215 Hispanic and 39 of 140 black applicants in that same GPA and LSAT range.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:18 am

interesting data

TY, Pearla!

pearla
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby pearla » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:20 am

Link below

--LinkRemoved--

STUDY FOR THE LSAT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Good info pearl.

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby MoMettaMonk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 pm

It's important to note that the data Pearla cited is from the entering class in 1994 aka before the UCs got rid of affirmative action.

miasanmia88
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby miasanmia88 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Am I URM?

This may seem stupid and I've read a boat load of posts but nothing that really matches up to mine.

I was born in the states, both of my parents were too. My dad is American, his dad too. My mother was born in America as well, though both her parents were born in Mexico and are mexican citizens and immigrated here later in their lives. I've always considered myself mexican-american. My last name (father's) is very traditional white american name (if its acceptable to post I would, but I don't want to catch flack for giving personal information). I have always applied and given my fathers name on everything without thinking about it.

On the LSAC biograph section I did fill out the section that asks for "other last names or previous last names" where i proceeded to put my mothers maiden name just in case LSAC were to think I was being disingenuous about claiming to be Mexican American/URM.

^this is cool right?

So According to the guidelines, I know that pretty much makes me a URM. But would want some verification.

Does the box checking completely fulfill the URM requirement, or do I need to address it in any other section of my app?

Do schools differentiate between African American URMs and Mexican American URMs? is one favorable to the other, of course strictly score wise as used to better their diversity pie?

Lastly, my hopeful school is Fordham (even willing to do PT for this school), followed by Loyola LA, Brooklyn, Hastings... how much does the URM help with these schools in particular?

gpa is 3.39
went to Undergrad at USC
currently working at a law firm for 1.5 yrs
taking the LSAT in October, probably looking at 159-163 range i am estimating

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:45 pm

miasanmia88 wrote:Am I URM?

Yes. You are MA.

miasanmia88 wrote:On the LSAC biograph section I did fill out the section that asks for "other last names or previous last names" where i proceeded to put my mothers maiden name just in case LSAC were to think I was being disingenuous about claiming to be Mexican American/URM.

^this is cool right?

No, it's weird. Your mother's maiden name was never your last name. LSAC isn't going to think you're lying just because you list that you are MA and your last name is Smith.

miasanmia88 wrote:Does the box checking completely fulfill the URM requirement, or do I need to address it in any other section of my app?

There is no "URM requirement." You honestly report your ethnicity and schools either do or don't give you a boost. If you feel that you have diversity to add, however, you may wish to write a diversity statement.

miasanmia88 wrote:Do schools differentiate between African American URMs and Mexican American URMs? is one favorable to the other, of course strictly score wise as used to better their diversity pie?

Generally speaking, AAs get a larger boost than MAs.

miasanmia88 wrote:Lastly, my hopeful school is Fordham (even willing to do PT for this school), followed by Loyola LA, Brooklyn, Hastings... how much does the URM help with these schools in particular?

Check LSN.

RunningFeatherFinish
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby RunningFeatherFinish » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm new- sorry if this combo was already addressed.
½ AA, ½ Asian. What kind of bump would this get me?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:00 pm

RunningFeatherFinish wrote:I'm new- sorry if this combo was already addressed.
½ AA, ½ Asian. What kind of bump would this get me?

Half AA = full AA bump

Gogeta39
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Gogeta39 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:50 am

Accidentally
Last edited by Gogeta39 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Schools send unsolicited waivers to plenty of people regardless of whether those people are competitive or not. They just want their application numbers to be higher. Don't read much into it.

User avatar
Legacy Rabbit
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Gogeta39 wrote:
My LSAC profile ethnicity is clearly listed as "South American". Am I getting a urm boost? I thought the only Hispanics who received them were Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. Is there something weird going on here?


Just like the census.

If you are from a Spanish speaking country - Hispanic

However, as South America in actuality has more people of African descent than (I am not even counting Brazil, I will touch on this later), N. America, you should indeed enclose African / Black or at the least "Other" with LSAC IF you have one grandparent who is Black / African or "part" Black / African. You can always include a diversity statement with application, and breakdown your multi-ethnic/racial heritage.

If you are Brazilian or from Guyana, i.e. a non-Spanish speaking country, you should disclose solely by race and forgo any mentioning of Hispanic. Regardless, definitely include a diversity statement with all possible scenarios.

tgs310
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Am I considered URM?

Postby tgs310 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:51 pm

My father was born in the Philippines and full filipino, and my mother was born in new york and is caucasian. So, I am half filipino, will schools give me URM consideration?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22808
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Moved to appropriate forum.

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Am I considered URM?

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:42 pm

tgs310 wrote:My father was born in the Philippines and full filipino, and my mother was born in new york and is caucasian. So, I am half filipino, will schools give me URM consideration?


Unfortunatly they won't. You would be considered half white and half Asian Americans, neither of which is considered URM. But I would advise you to write a diversity statement.

tgs310
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Re: Am I considered URM?

Postby tgs310 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
tgs310 wrote:My father was born in the Philippines and full filipino, and my mother was born in new york and is caucasian. So, I am half filipino, will schools give me URM consideration?


Unfortunatly they won't. You would be considered half white and half Asian Americans, neither of which is considered URM. But I would advise you to write a diversity statement.


Thats what i figured, i am also a triplet, do you recommend putting that in the diversity statement as well?

omzster67
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby omzster67 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:55 pm

My parents are both Lebanese immigrants and about 95% of my family lives there including my mom. Overall I have been told Arabs are not URM, but does anyone know if any specific schools would consider me as such? I received a letter from Yale because of my background...most likely because I marked myself as Middle Eastern/Arab when I made my LSAC account.

I'm 166/3.97 so a URM status would help quite a bit. I also wrote a diversity statement about lessons learned from my personal encounter with war in '06 between Hezbollah and Israel and in addition to war stories told to me by family members

alansadler
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby alansadler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:33 pm

Both of my parents are Argentinian, and while I was born here, I do speak fluent spanish. From what I've read on here, I'm clearly not going to get URM recognition, though, I guess I can talk about my background in my diversity statement. Anyways, my question is, are there any other Argentine people on here, and if so, do they think they got any kind of boost?

I'm going into everything expecting that I won't be giving any kind of boost, but just curious at people in my situation's past experiences.

tangelo
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby tangelo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm

kn6542 wrote:Can't you just say BLACK? WTF?


Man these types of ignorant questions make me wonder how some even get accepted into LS. We don't call them "black" for the same reason we don't call Latinos "brown". Not all people with dark skin are from Africa. I know black people from Brazil, Cuba and several other countries around the world who have no connection to Africa.

Read a book.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby subtle » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:42 pm

tangelo wrote:
kn6542 wrote:Can't you just say BLACK? WTF?


Man these types of ignorant questions make me wonder how some even get accepted into LS. We don't call them "black" for the same reason we don't call Latinos "brown". Not all people with dark skin are from Africa. I know black people from Brazil, Cuba and several other countries around the world who have no connection to Africa.

Read a book.


...




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga and 4 guests