Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Rlabo

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Rlabo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:15 am

HankBashir wrote:I'm pretty sure retroactively claiming URM status would not help your application at all. Maybe even hurt it a bit if they feel like you're trying to game the system.

Regretfully, I agree. What's killing me right now is knowing that if I had known this 6 months ago I would probably be accepted at half those WL schools, and possibly with money.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 am

Rlabo wrote:
HankBashir wrote:I'm pretty sure retroactively claiming URM status would not help your application at all. Maybe even hurt it a bit if they feel like you're trying to game the system.

Regretfully, I agree. What's killing me right now is knowing that if I had known this 6 months ago I would probably be accepted at half those WL schools, and possibly with money.

Ech. Don't be so sure. URM cycles are pretty unpredictable. I've been wait listed at 7 T14 schools (probably will be 9 by the end of the cycle).

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:23 am

HankBashir wrote:
Rlabo wrote:

Ech. Don't be so sure. URM cycles are pretty unpredictable. I've been wait listed at 7 T14 schools (probably will be 9 by the end of the cycle).

Yes, but you have also been accepted to Stanford. Based on that you could almost call those WL YP. I'm not saying I know I would be in a different, more desirable situation than now, but it definitely would be more likely that I would.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 am

Rlabo wrote:
HankBashir wrote:
Rlabo wrote:

Yes, but you have also been accepted to Stanford. Based on that you could almost call those WL YP. I'm not saying I know I would be in a different, more desirable situation than now, but it definitely would be more likely that I would.

Hank is AA male - the strongest, by far, URM bump.

Partial MA is probably the weakest bump.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
HankBashir wrote:
Rlabo wrote:I'm pretty sure retroactively claiming URM status would not help your application at all. Maybe even hurt it a bit if they feel like you're trying to game the system.

Partial MA is probably the weakest bump.[/quote]

Regardless, all I'm saying is that it definitely would not have hurt, and probably would have helped if just a little.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:21 am

Rlabo wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
HankBashir wrote:Regretfully, I agree. What's killing me right now is knowing that if I had known this 6 months ago I would probably be accepted at half those WL schools, and possibly with money.

Regardless, all I'm saying is that it definitely would not have hurt, and probably would have helped if just a little.[/quote]

If ifs and buts were candy nuts...

The only thing you can do at this point is, if your cycle doesn't turn out as you want, reapply, check the box, and, explain the discrepancy if anyone cares to ask. But, honestly, you really never know. My cycle turned out pretty awesome, but my roommate's has been going abysmally. The URM thing is really, really unpredictable.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:37 am

subtle wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Regretfully, I agree. What's killing me right now is knowing that if I had known this 6 months ago I would probably be accepted at half those WL schools, and possibly with money.

Regardless, all I'm saying is that it definitely would not have hurt, and probably would have helped if just a little.[/quote]

If ifs and buts were candy nuts...

The only thing you can do at this point is, if your cycle doesn't turn out as you want, reapply, check the box, and, explain the discrepancy if anyone cares to ask. But, honestly, you really never know. My cycle turned out pretty awesome, but my roommate's has been going abysmally. The URM thing is really, really unpredictable.[/quote]

True dat; if the queen had balls she'd be king. Still can't help but beat myself up a little bit over this, and I'm strongly against taking a year off at this point so pretty much is what it is (or is going to be what its going to be).

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:18 pm

After talking it through with some people today I've come to a final idea on this. While I could have put it down on my application that I am URM and that would be completely fine, it really would not have helped me and could have possibly have hurt me. This is because I have nothing on my resume or anything to support it and being that its only 25% it may come off as im trying to game the system and would turn off a lot off adcoms. So it was probably good that I didnt check the URM box.

laww

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Why is Indian not considered URM for law school?

Just curious.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm pretty sure that question has been asked and answer.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:14 pm

laww wrote:Why is Indian not considered URM for law school?

Just curious.

Probably becasue close to 1% of law students are Indian, and thus they not underrepresented.
http://proximityone.com/cen2010_asian.htm

laww

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Nova wrote:

Just curious.

Probably becasue close to 1% of law students are Indian, and thus they not underrepresented.

Ah dang I made a thread and feel like a fool now.

Just curious... The site shows 1% of the total US population as Indians. What % are law school students?

What % of students are African American or Hispanic?

Do law schools take into account that my parents are not very rich?

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:23 pm

laww

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:25 pm

It seems like there are more African American students pursuing law than Asians according to this:

Asian: http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

African-American: http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 pm

laww wrote:
Nova wrote:

Just curious.

Ah dang I made a thread and feel like a fool now.

Just curious... The site shows 1% of the total US population as Indians. What % are law school students?

What % of students are African American or Hispanic?

Do law schools take into account that my parents are not very rich?

For admissions? No. For need aid? Sure. But if you're an immigrant, that may affect the type of aid for which you are eligible. That said, if your not being rich has affected your grades/scores (aversely or otherwise), write a diversity statement.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 pm

laww wrote:1.Just curious... The site shows 1% of the total US population as Indians. What % are law school students?

2.What % of students are African American or Hispanic?

3.Do law schools take into account that my parents are not very rich?

1. IDK exactly, im sure the data is out there, but there are more than 3 Indians at my law school and our class size is 200. (T20)

2. Ive had this data at my finger tips before but dont have it right now. Roughly, something like 6-7% of law students are black while they are just over 13% of the population. Something like 4-5% of students are MA, and they are 10% of the population.

3.You could write a diversity statement about growing up in poverty. If you were middle class, not so much.

laww

Postby laww » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Excuse me for my ignorance but I have a few more questions.

If african americans are 13% of the population and account for 6-7% of law students, then aren't there fewer Indian law students if Indians are <1% of the population? At your school there are 1.5% Indians. I'm confused as to how URM works. Is it based on need or quotas? Wouldn't Indians be considered URM if there were only a few of them in each college?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 pm

laww wrote:Excuse me for my ignorance but I have a few more questions.

If african americans are 13% of the population and account for 6-7% of law students, then aren't there fewer Indian law students if Indians are <1% of the population? I'm confused as to how URM works. Is it based on need or quotas?

There are no mandatory quotas. No school is required to admit a certain amount of minorities.

Yes, there are many fewer Indians in law school than AAs. However, Indians are represented proportionally in law schools to their US population. AA/MA/PR/NA are not. Kind of like how delaware has like 1 or 2 people in the house of house of representatives. Its proportional.
Last edited by Nova on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:35 pm

laww wrote:Excuse me for my ignorance but I have a few more questions.

If african americans are 13% of the population and account for 6-7% of law students, then aren't there fewer Indian law students if Indians are <1% of the population? At your school there are 1.5% Indians. I'm confused as to how URM works. Is it based on need or quotas? Wouldn't Indians be considered URM if there were only a few of them in each college?

No. They are proportionately a smaller portion of law schools/the legal profession than they should be if law schools/the legal profession followed the population of the United States.

pearla

Postby pearla » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Would the boost apply to a Black male from Mali who immigrated to the US in his twenties? And how much of a boost are we talking about? My friend has pretty stellar credentials but struggles on the lsat, primarily due to time constraints. I advised him to postpone the lsat but I am pretty sure he is going to take the test on Monday.

Nightrunner

Postby Nightrunner » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:18 pm

pearla wrote:Would the boost apply to a Black male from Mali who immigrated to the US in his twenties? And how much of a boost are we talking about? My friend has pretty stellar credentials but struggles on the lsat, primarily due to time constraints. I advised him to postpone the lsat but I am pretty sure he is going to take the test on Monday.

Yes. If you're black, you qualify for URM. The boost can be very significant, depending on factors (e.g., background, experience, quality of essays, etc.). However, the boost is less valuable with a legitimately subpar LSAT, so encourage your friend to study like a motherfucker.

pearla

Postby pearla » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
pearla wrote:Would the boost apply to a Black male from Mali who immigrated to the US in his twenties? And how much of a boost are we talking about? My friend has pretty stellar credentials but struggles on the lsat, primarily due to time constraints. I advised him to postpone the lsat but I am pretty sure he is going to take the test on Monday.

Yes. If you're black, you qualify for URM. The boost can be very significant, depending on factors (e.g., background, experience, quality of essays, etc.). However, the boost is less valuable with a legitimately subpar LSAT, so encourage your friend to study like a motherfucker.

Thanks. How significant is the boost? I have heard of immigrants from Nigeria farinng well in the process. But english is also their first language.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:10 pm

pearla wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

Thanks. How significant is the boost? I have heard of immigrants from Nigeria farinng well in the process. But english is also their first language.

It's can be fairly significant but don't focus on that. Study hard for the LSAT.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Generally, your friend will get in almost everywhere he is at or above the lsat median.

Chances depend a lot on GPA. It sounds like your friend has a US undergrad GPA.

Play with http://WWW.mylsn.info (click the urm only box) to see what his chances are with whatever his GPA and hypothetical LSAT score are
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:27 pm

Last edited by deebanger on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”