Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Hey guys quick question. What about people who are not born in the U.S and are not URM's? I was born in South America (but I look white as can be) so I can't claim URM. However, I moved to the U.S when I was 13, knowing no English. I am not an American citizen (I am here on a green card, I am Argentinean/ Italian citizen) I grew up speaking Spanish and Portugese (learned English in the states at 13)

So my question is...though we know we're not URM's, are our situations considered differently by admissions committees? I wouldn't ever want to compare hardships (as I'm sure different minorities face differing challenges) but...taking the LSAT in English, your 2nd or 3rd language, is ridiculously difficult whereas someone who may be Mexican or Puerto Rican but born here has been speaking English their entire life. Are these drawbacks or special circumstances even considered by law schools? Is being an immigrant, non-U.S citizen, with English as a second language taken into account for admissions purposes? ( For example, as a mitigating factor for low LSAT score)

Thanks I truly appreciate any advice.

And I'd love to hear from people who immigrated to this country as well and their experiences with the LSAT/apps!

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby nshapkar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Hey guys quick question. What about people who are not born in the U.S and are not URM's? I was born in South America (but I look white as can be) so I can't claim URM. However, I moved to the U.S when I was 13, knowing no English. I am not an American citizen (I am here on a green card, I am Argentinean/ Italian citizen) I grew up speaking Spanish and Portugese (learned English in the states at 13)

So my question is...though we know we're not URM's, are our situations considered differently by admissions committees? I wouldn't ever want to compare hardships (as I'm sure different minorities face differing challenges) but...taking the LSAT in English, your 2nd or 3rd language, is ridiculously difficult whereas someone who may be Mexican or Puerto Rican but born here has been speaking English their entire life. Are these drawbacks or special circumstances even considered by law schools? Is being an immigrant, non-U.S citizen, with English as a second language taken into account for admissions purposes? ( For example, as a mitigating factor for low LSAT score)

Thanks I truly appreciate any advice.

And I'd love to hear from people who immigrated to this country as well and their experiences with the LSAT/apps!


interested to hear the responses, as I'm pretty much in the same boat. English is my second language and it is not spoken at home. Pretty much had to learn everything on my own, was a pain in the ass when it came to essays since there were two people that could not look over them and offer help.

I applied this cycle, but a low LSAT score did not help, that's why I'm retaking in October. I hope being a point or two under median/75th percentile and 25th percentile GPA could land me T20...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:01 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Hey guys quick question. What about people who are not born in the U.S and are not URM's? I was born in South America (but I look white as can be) so I can't claim URM. However, I moved to the U.S when I was 13, knowing no English. I am not an American citizen (I am here on a green card, I am Argentinean/ Italian citizen) I grew up speaking Spanish and Portugese (learned English in the states at 13)

So my question is...though we know we're not URM's, are our situations considered differently by admissions committees? I wouldn't ever want to compare hardships (as I'm sure different minorities face differing challenges) but...taking the LSAT in English, your 2nd or 3rd language, is ridiculously difficult whereas someone who may be Mexican or Puerto Rican but born here has been speaking English their entire life. Are these drawbacks or special circumstances even considered by law schools? Is being an immigrant, non-U.S citizen, with English as a second language taken into account for admissions purposes? ( For example, as a mitigating factor for low LSAT score)

Thanks I truly appreciate any advice.

And I'd love to hear from people who immigrated to this country as well and their experiences with the LSAT/apps!


Schools won't really care. I'm not saying it's right, but schools don't give boosts to people whose primary language isn't English. Also of note is that plenty of non-native speakers do very well on the LSAT.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Mattalones » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:19 pm

bk1 wrote:Schools won't really care. I'm not saying it's right, but schools don't give boosts to people whose primary language isn't English. Also of note is that plenty of non-native speakers do very well on the LSAT.

Super false! They care about numbers a lot. If you add to the numbers in terms of "diversity," then you don't have to add much to the GPA/LSAT numbers as long as you don't take away from them either. So, adding to diversity can make up for being a little below median or having a proportional split equivalent to that. Now, this isn't always true. But what is? In the end, just do your best, check the boxes that apply to you, and see what happens. Everything else is out of your control.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Mattalones wrote:
bk1 wrote:Schools won't really care. I'm not saying it's right, but schools don't give boosts to people whose primary language isn't English. Also of note is that plenty of non-native speakers do very well on the LSAT.

Super false! They care about numbers a lot. If you add to the numbers in terms of "diversity," then you don't have to add much to the GPA/LSAT numbers as long as you don't take away from them either. So, adding to diversity can make up for being a little below median or having a proportional split equivalent to that. Now, this isn't always true. But what is? In the end, just do your best, check the boxes that apply to you, and see what happens. Everything else is out of your control.


I agree, I guess my statement wasn't clear. I would say that if you are at least above one median (and not significantly below the other) that it will help. What I was trying to say was that they aren't going to take a super low LSAT (even with an above median GPA) or take someone who is below both numbers (even slightly) just because they are ESL. I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply to some super reaches, but I would apply with the expectation that they aren't going to give you an LSAT bump at all.

gatorlaw
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby gatorlaw » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks guys! I'll give it my best shot. I have a 4.0 at a top 50 undergrad but I'm only scoring in the high 150's in my prep tests. I don't think it'll get much better, I do horrible on the reading comp/ LR because I truly have a hard time understand the language, even if I vaguely know what a word means I can't catch the nuance.

I'll keep working hard and get myself ready for next cycle. Good luck to you all!

braziliangirl
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby braziliangirl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm brazilian and I don't know what's the impression you guys have of what we are, so I'd like some help. I thought I'd have to check that I'm hispanic or latina since I'm from Latin America, but I actually don't speak spanish. I speak portuguese, but the portuguese of Brazil is pretty different from Portugal's since we have many black and indian influence.
My family is a mix of everything you can imagine: portuguese, spanish, german, arab, black, french. And we have habits of all these cultures. Even our religion is a mix: we have catholic european weddings and on new year's eve we pray for iemanja, an african godess.
My colour is not white neither black. My hair isn't as straight as european neither as curly as black people.
All my living family is brazilian and I look like almost brazilian: a mix.
Here, when we have to declare a race you are either white or black. These are the only options and are based on the colour of your skin, so even a stranger can say if you are black or white. So here in Brazil I'm white since my skin is not black (but I'm not white as a caucasian).
To get into a college in Brazil you only have to take a test, like SAT, and get a good score. They don't look anything else. And the best colleges here are public, and this (in Brazil) means that you don't have to pay a dime to study. You get your whole course for free, even if you are very rich. So it's pretty competitive. Usually who gets into public colleges is people with money that went to a good private schhol.
When you apply to college there's another box that you can check named "pardo", which is the mix of black and white here. As I said, almost every brazilian is "pardo", but I didn't check this box (I checked white). Anyone who checks it can get into college with lower scores. To get into my undergraduate course you had to score 70 of 100. If you were "pardo" or black you could get into with 30. The fact is that there is a specific number of "pardo" and black spots. The moral here is that we have to leave "pardo" and black spots for poor because they didn't have the chance ($) to go to good schools and now they can go to college. So even black rich people don't apply to these spots, they apply to the "normal" ones.
So if you had a good education and apply for these spots you are harming people.
The thing is that for my law school application, if I apply as what I really am, I'm not hurting anyone. But which boxes should I check afterall? Black, white, latino, hispanic, arab, european, all of them?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm

braziliangirl wrote:But which boxes should I check afterall? Black, white, latino, hispanic, arab, european, all of them?


Check all that apply assuming you actually are those things.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Ocean64 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:44 am

To correct OP:
Indian and Pakistani fall under Asian category according to LSAC classification, while on the other hand Middle Eastern is classified under Caucasian, but is nonetheless noted. Anyone from South or Central America can be calssified as Hispanic/Latino if they wish to be so.

I know this is an old post, but OP should have checked before attempting to inform others.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby kapachino » Thu May 19, 2011 1:53 am

Ocean64 wrote:To correct OP:
Indian and Pakistani fall under Asian category according to LSAC classification, while on the other hand Middle Eastern is classified under Caucasian, but is nonetheless noted. Anyone from South or Central America can be calssified as Hispanic/Latino if they wish to be so.

I know this is an old post, but OP should have checked before attempting to inform others.



You couldn't just leave it at "OP missed this", instead of posting this self-masturbatory BS? Not helpful.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Ocean64 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:53 am

kapachino wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:To correct OP:
Indian and Pakistani fall under Asian category according to LSAC classification, while on the other hand Middle Eastern is classified under Caucasian, but is nonetheless noted. Anyone from South or Central America can be calssified as Hispanic/Latino if they wish to be so.

I know this is an old post, but OP should have checked before attempting to inform others.



You couldn't just leave it at "OP missed this", instead of posting this self-masturbatory BS? Not helpful.



First of all, this is no place to troll. Secondly, this is for people who are of the above backgrounds who may be misinformed by reading OP, so this is in fact helpful to such people. Finally, all the info I mentioned is by LSAC, they aren't my own for it to be "self-masterbatory".

Misinformation and trolls are TLS users' worst enemy and I'll continue to do my part to your dismay.

jmtyner11
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby jmtyner11 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:02 pm

My grandfather was cherokee indian and my grandmother was half. Does this qualify me as URM? I put down Native American/Caucasian on my high school and undergrad applications to college .

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby kapachino » Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 pm

jmtyner11 wrote:My grandfather was cherokee indian and my grandmother was half. Does this qualify me as URM? I put down Native American/Caucasian on my high school and undergrad applications to college .



Are you and your family registered with the tribe?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:47 pm

Ocean64 wrote:
kapachino wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:To correct OP:
Indian and Pakistani fall under Asian category according to LSAC classification, while on the other hand Middle Eastern is classified under Caucasian, but is nonetheless noted. Anyone from South or Central America can be calssified as Hispanic/Latino if they wish to be so.

I know this is an old post, but OP should have checked before attempting to inform others.



You couldn't just leave it at "OP missed this", instead of posting this self-masturbatory BS? Not helpful.



First of all, this is no place to troll. Secondly, this is for people who are of the above backgrounds who may be misinformed by reading OP, so this is in fact helpful to such people. Finally, all the info I mentioned is by LSAC, they aren't my own for it to be "self-masterbatory".

Misinformation and trolls are TLS users' worst enemy and I'll continue to do my part to your dismay.


What the fuck? Nowhere does the OP say that Indian/Pakistani are not Asian or that Middle Eastern are not Caucasian.

And because you're a dick, I'd like to point out that...

Ocean64 wrote:Anyone from South or Central America can be calssified as Hispanic/Latino if they wish to be so.


lolno. I'll give you a hint why: think of the biggest country in South America.

clairethesmurf
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:21 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby clairethesmurf » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:02 am

Im a hot blonde, both my parents are Scandinavian.
I believe hot people are fairly underrepresented in law schools. :D

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Ocean64 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 pm

bk1 wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:
kapachino wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:To correct OP:
Indian and Pakistani fall under Asian category according to LSAC classification, while on the other hand Middle Eastern is classified under Caucasian, but is nonetheless noted. Anyone from South or Central America can be calssified as Hispanic/Latino if they wish to be so.

I know this is an old post, but OP should have checked before attempting to inform others.



You couldn't just leave it at "OP missed this", instead of posting this self-masturbatory BS? Not helpful.



First of all, this is no place to troll. Secondly, this is for people who are of the above backgrounds who may be misinformed by reading OP, so this is in fact helpful to such people. Finally, all the info I mentioned is by LSAC, they aren't my own for it to be "self-masterbatory".

Misinformation and trolls are TLS users' worst enemy and I'll continue to do my part to your dismay.


What the fuck? Nowhere does the OP say that Indian/Pakistani are not Asian or that Middle Eastern are not Caucasian.

And because you're a dick, I'd like to point out that...

Ocean64 wrote:Anyone from South or Central America can be calssified as Hispanic/Latino if they wish to be so.


lolno. I'll give you a hint why: think of the biggest country in South America.





Yes it's true that OP did not say that Indian/Pakistani are not Asian or that Middle Eastern are not Caucasian, BUT OP did say that this group (that he/she wrongly put together) was not usually considered URM, and this is incorrect, at least according to current LSAC classifications. OP also mentioned that this is the case " for a variety of reasons" without listing any, such a claim (which is faulty btw) does need evidence to back it up other than "life isn't fair."

For Arabs/Indians/Pakistanians/Middle Easterners, for law school purposes you are usually not considered a URM. This is for a variety of reasons. It's most likely not fair, but life isn't fair.



As for your comment on Brazilians (so others won't wonder about the country you were implying) LSAC's classification for Hispanic/Latino includes:

-Central American
-Chicano/Mexican
-Cuban
-Other Hispanic/Latino
-South American

Given Brazil's location on the globe, ANY Brazilian can be included under the Hispanic/Latino umbrella regardless of their race if they wish to be classified as such, necessarily.

no need to call people names. take care buddy, and good luck on your life lol

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Ocean64 wrote:Yes it's true that OP did not say that Indian/Pakistani are not Asian or that Middle Eastern are not Caucasian, BUT OP did say that this group (that he/she wrongly put together) was not usually considered URM, and this is incorrect, at least according to current LSAC classifications. OP also, mention that this is the case " for a variety of reasons" without listing any, such a claim (which is faulty btw) does need evidence to back it up other than "life isn't fair."


This isn't the LSAT, you don't need LSAT logic to back up everything you talk about or to give people advice. The evidence is the accumulated wisdom of thousands of law school applicants who have shared their information on TLS and LSN.

As for the group, OP didn't put it together because they were similar ethnically or racially but because people of those groups tend to wrongly think that they get a URM boost and OP was trying to clear that up.

Ocean64 wrote:As for your comment on Brazilians (so others won't wonder about the country you were implying) LSAC's classification for Hispanic/Latino includes:

-Central American
-Chicano/Mexican
-Cuban
-Other Hispanic/Latino
-South American

Given Brazil's location on the globe, ANY Brazilian can be included under the Hispanic/Latino umbrella regardless of their race if they wish to be classified as such, necessarily.

no need to call people names. take care buddy, and good luck on your life lol


I also wasn't referring to LSAC's classification system, but the fact that Brazilians aren't Hispanic. It's also a fact that you were being dickish; it was more of a truth and less of an insult.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Ocean64 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:49 am

bk1 wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:Yes it's true that OP did not say that Indian/Pakistani are not Asian or that Middle Eastern are not Caucasian, BUT OP did say that this group (that he/she wrongly put together) was not usually considered URM, and this is incorrect, at least according to current LSAC classifications. OP also, mention that this is the case " for a variety of reasons" without listing any, such a claim (which is faulty btw) does need evidence to back it up other than "life isn't fair."


This isn't the LSAT, you don't need LSAT logic to back up everything you talk about or to give people advice. The evidence is the accumulated wisdom of thousands of law school applicants who have shared their information on TLS and LSN.

As for the group, OP didn't put it together because they were similar ethnically or racially but because people of those groups tend to wrongly think that they get a URM boost and OP was trying to clear that up.

Ocean64 wrote:As for your comment on Brazilians (so others won't wonder about the country you were implying) LSAC's classification for Hispanic/Latino includes:

-Central American
-Chicano/Mexican
-Cuban
-Other Hispanic/Latino
-South American

Given Brazil's location on the globe, ANY Brazilian can be included under the Hispanic/Latino umbrella regardless of their race if they wish to be classified as such, necessarily.

no need to call people names. take care buddy, and good luck on your life lol


I also wasn't referring to LSAC's classification system, but the fact that Brazilians aren't Hispanic. It's also a fact that you were being dickish; it was more of a truth and less of an insult.



I'm well aware of of the statistics on TLS and LSN, and I firmly stand by my previous claim, and I suggest that you study the statistics yourself and do some investigation as to the URM status of Indian, Pakistani, Arab/Middle Eastern students. As for Brazilians, the entire argument was about LSAC classification because that is the classification that law schools will see on your application. Finally, you don't need to be taking the LSAT to think and to speak logically. At over 11,000 posts over your 2 years membership at TLS I don't think you will give it a rest lol, but I certainly will not waste my time with trolls. Keep at it buddy, you're almost at 12,000 posts! lol

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Ocean64 wrote:I'm well aware of of the statistics on TLS and LSN, and I firmly stand by my previous claim, and I suggest that you study the statistics yourself and do some investigation as to the URM status of Indian, Pakistani, Arab/Middle Eastern students.


You are seriously a god awful troll but let's try and put it to rest so that other people are not misinformed. Your original statement was:

Ocean64 wrote:To correct OP:
Indian and Pakistani fall under Asian category according to LSAC classification, while on the other hand Middle Eastern is classified under Caucasian, but is nonetheless noted.


Your statement is correct in that this is how LSAC classifies people. However, you were not correcting the OP because the OP never said or implied any of this.

Ocean64 wrote:Yes it's true that OP did not say that Indian/Pakistani are not Asian or that Middle Eastern are not Caucasian, BUT OP did say that this group (that he/she wrongly put together) was not usually considered URM, and this is incorrect, at least according to current LSAC classifications. OP also, mention that this is the case " for a variety of reasons" without listing any, such a claim (which is faulty btw) does need evidence to back it up other than "life isn't fair."


OP did not put together this group wrongly. The group was an example of some, but not all of the groups that don't get a URM boost. Your argument further devolves into nonsense when you say "not usually considered URM, and this is incorrect, at least according to current LSAC classifications." This makes no sense because LSAC does not have URM classifications. They have minority classifications, and yes all these groups (both URM's and non-URM's) are minorities. However not all minorities are URM's and the distinction between what minorities classify as URM's and which do not is the whole point of this thread.

You are not going to find URM data on LSAC because it is not an explicitly stated group by LSAC or the schools. They don't say "hey these are the groups who we give LSAT boosts to and these are the ones we don't." The races/ethnicities that are URM's is seen through the collective experiences of law school applicants as seen on TLS and LSN, which has pretty much shown that the only ethnic/race groups to get URM boosts are AA/NA/MX/PR (with possible slight boost that is nowhere near as large for other types of Hispanic).

You say that you've looked at the LSN data and that OP's classification is wrong. Would you like to point out some data that points to Indians/Pakistanis/Arabs/MiddleEasterners/etc being URM? Then again, I'm sure you're trolling and that you couldn't pull up some LSN profiles to back you up if you tried.

User avatar
Ocean64
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Ocean64 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:39 pm

bk1 wrote:
Ocean64 wrote:I'm well aware of of the statistics on TLS and LSN, and I firmly stand by my previous claim, and I suggest that you study the statistics yourself and do some investigation as to the URM status of Indian, Pakistani, Arab/Middle Eastern students.


You are seriously a god awful troll but let's try and put it to rest so that other people are not misinformed. Your original statement was:

Ocean64 wrote:To correct OP:
Indian and Pakistani fall under Asian category according to LSAC classification, while on the other hand Middle Eastern is classified under Caucasian, but is nonetheless noted.


Your statement is correct in that this is how LSAC classifies people. However, you were not correcting the OP because the OP never said or implied any of this.

Ocean64 wrote:Yes it's true that OP did not say that Indian/Pakistani are not Asian or that Middle Eastern are not Caucasian, BUT OP did say that this group (that he/she wrongly put together) was not usually considered URM, and this is incorrect, at least according to current LSAC classifications. OP also, mention that this is the case " for a variety of reasons" without listing any, such a claim (which is faulty btw) does need evidence to back it up other than "life isn't fair."


OP did not put together this group wrongly. The group was an example of some, but not all of the groups that don't get a URM boost. Your argument further devolves into nonsense when you say "not usually considered URM, and this is incorrect, at least according to current LSAC classifications." This makes no sense because LSAC does not have URM classifications. They have minority classifications, and yes all these groups (both URM's and non-URM's) are minorities. However not all minorities are URM's and the distinction between what minorities classify as URM's and which do not is the whole point of this thread.

You are not going to find URM data on LSAC because it is not an explicitly stated group by LSAC or the schools. They don't say "hey these are the groups who we give LSAT boosts to and these are the ones we don't." The races/ethnicities that are URM's is seen through the collective experiences of law school applicants as seen on TLS and LSN, which has pretty much shown that the only ethnic/race groups to get URM boosts are AA/NA/MX/PR (with possible slight boost that is nowhere near as large for other types of Hispanic).

You say that you've looked at the LSN data and that OP's classification is wrong. Would you like to point out some data that points to Indians/Pakistanis/Arabs/MiddleEasterners/etc being URM? Then again, I'm sure you're trolling and that you couldn't pull up some LSN profiles to back you up if you tried.




I called LSAC, and the nice lady there said that the group we are discussing is for the most part seen as URMs by most schools. I think this should settle it for good. this will be my final reply. you are someone with 11,000+ post and who will surely keep trying to get back at others regarldess of what is being discussed or the facts...take care buddy, and keep posting to your heart's content lol.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby kapachino » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:41 pm

OMG, you have no life.

jstantonsmith
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby jstantonsmith » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:03 am

Hello, my mom is full Puerto Rican and my dad is European caucasion. Would i receive URM status?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:07 am

jstantonsmith wrote:Hello, my mom is full Puerto Rican and my dad is European caucasion. Would i receive URM status?


Yes, because you are Puerto Rican.

Marinekingprime
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Marinekingprime » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:05 pm

What am I?

-kidnapped at age 6 because of drug rip off (made front page of local paper)
-went to 11 different elementary schools and 3 high schools
-Ward of the court since age 8 (after mothers fatal heroin overdose)
-began living on my own at age 16
-dropped out of high school in grade 11
-became IV heroin and cocaine user by the age of 17
-Former prolific property offender classified as a recidivist (served a aggregated sentence of 5 years)
-was on the methadone program
-got my life back on track at age 25
-stopped using all drugs
-pardoned
-met wife and had child
-went to college then university (first in family)
-worked full time at a homeless shelter throughout undergrad
-now work for a crown corporation in public housing

Where do I start and what should I include?


-

DWinter18
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby DWinter18 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 pm

I didn't go through the entire thread so sorry if this has been answered.

My mother is full Mexican and my father is a Caucasian Jew from Brooklyn, NY. He met my mother in Mexico, they got married and she moved here with him and converted. Would I be considered Mexican if I am only half? It's legit 50/50, she is fully Mexican. I don't want to lie, because I'm half. Do I qualify?




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ithinkican and 3 guests