Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby warandpeace » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 pm

what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??

caveman2
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby caveman2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 pm

If you are a URM but you look kind of white, will that cause a problem if you get accepted to a school based on being an URM? I mean, do they check you out once you arrive at the school or expect you to be part of the diversity club or anything? Do they pay special attention to URM kids? I ask because I'm Native American but am sometimes mistaken as Caucasian just because I happen to look a little white. I have this irrational fear that I'll get accepted to a school based on my URM status and then appear "too white" or something. I guess I'm really just asking if they expect/do anything special with URM kids once they arrive?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby subtle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 pm

caveman2 wrote:If you are a URM but you look kind of white, will that cause a problem if you get accepted to a school based on being an URM? I mean, do they check you out once you arrive at the school or expect you to be part of the diversity club or anything? Do they pay special attention to URM kids? I ask because I'm Native American but am sometimes mistaken as Caucasian just because I happen to look a little white. I have this irrational fear that I'll get accepted to a school based on my URM status and then appear "too white" or something. I guess I'm really just asking if they expect/do anything special with URM kids once they arrive?



No.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby subtle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:41 pm

warandpeace wrote:what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??


I checked the box for LGBT and then in my diversity statement wrote about the different perspective that I have as as a black, bisexual, female.

User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby warandpeace » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:46 pm

subtle wrote:
warandpeace wrote:what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??


I checked the box for LGBT and then in my diversity statement wrote about the different perspective that I have as as a black, bisexual, female.


ahh okay. do you think it made a difference? haha

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby subtle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:40 pm

warandpeace wrote:
subtle wrote:
warandpeace wrote:what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??


I checked the box for LGBT and then in my diversity statement wrote about the different perspective that I have as as a black, bisexual, female.


ahh okay. do you think it made a difference? haha


I mean, maybe, but not more than my being black and writing well. More than anything, they've just put me in contact with the LGBT organizations on campus following acceptance.

User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby warandpeace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:15 am

subtle wrote:
warandpeace wrote:
subtle wrote:
warandpeace wrote:what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??


I checked the box for LGBT and then in my diversity statement wrote about the different perspective that I have as as a black, bisexual, female.


ahh okay. do you think it made a difference? haha


I mean, maybe, but not more than my being black and writing well. More than anything, they've just put me in contact with the LGBT organizations on campus following acceptance.


got it. thanks for your input!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:19 pm

warandpeace wrote:what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??


Neither of these things will be significant other than being good fodder for a DS.

User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby warandpeace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:26 pm

bk1 wrote:
warandpeace wrote:what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??


Neither of these things will be significant other than being good fodder for a DS.


i don't know what a DS is :/

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby subtle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:18 pm

warandpeace wrote:
bk1 wrote:
warandpeace wrote:what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??


Neither of these things will be significant other than being good fodder for a DS.


i don't know what a DS is :/


Diversity statement. Use it to emphasize why you're more than your numbers--what is unique that you can bring to the class. It's not enough to say that you are Persian, Indian, and bi. Talk about how those things have shaped your life and your perspective and why this class at X school needs you because they can't get that perspective anywhere but you.

User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby warandpeace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:18 pm

subtle wrote:
warandpeace wrote:
bk1 wrote:
warandpeace wrote:what do you put down if you're half indian half persian...is there any way to show bi racial status? and if not, does it even give a box for middle eastern (which indian/persian isn't btw, but i guess it's better than putting down caucasian)

also i'm bi. not sure if that even means anything in the LGBT thing, it's not as significant as being gay. do you even put this down??


Neither of these things will be significant other than being good fodder for a DS.


i don't know what a DS is :/


Diversity statement. Use it to emphasize why you're more than your numbers--what is unique that you can bring to the class. It's not enough to say that you are Persian, Indian, and bi. Talk about how those things have shaped your life and your perspective and why this class at X school needs you because they can't get that perspective anywhere but you.


got it! thanks. if i mention those things, do i just sound like i'm trying too hard?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby subtle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:39 pm

I mean, you're selling yourself. They understand that.

hindijs1
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:17 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby hindijs1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm

blank
Last edited by hindijs1 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:42 pm

hindijs1 wrote:My farther is 100% Palestinian my mother is Chinese/Cuban, making me 50%/25%/25% respectively. Am I an URM candidate? What should I mark as my race?

Thanks


No because none of those ethnicities/races are URM.

Mark whatever you normally mark. If you are getting technical then mark Chinese/Cuban/Middle Eastern.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby kapachino » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:04 pm

lishi wrote:Since this question comes up many times, let's try to keep all of the answers and responses in one thread. Everything below is the answers that other TLS posters will give you when you ask a question. I know this because I've spent way too much time on this site for over a year.

The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.

If you are from any other Latin American or Spanish speaking country, the consensus is to just check the Hispanic box. You may not receive as much of a boost as those that check Mexican or Puerto Rican, but it may still help you in showing diversity to the class.

For Native Americans some schools require that you show a tribe affiliation. This is not all schools, but check with the schools you are interested in before deciding to check this box.

For Arabs/Indians/Pakistanians/Middle Easterners, for law school purposes you are usually not considered a URM. This is for a variety of reasons. It's most likely not fair, but life isn't fair.

If you have any questions about your URM status that are not answered above PLEASE ASK THEM IN THIS THREAD. All questions regarding whether your background/race/heritage/circumstance falls into the URM category will be moved to this thread.

Good Luck to everyone who is applying to law school!!!!


I think this needs a bump.

elm84dr
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby elm84dr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:46 pm

legalmo wrote:
bk1 wrote:
legalmo wrote:I can't attest to it personally, but a relative once told me that they traced our ancestry (with one of those paid services I think, and only on one side at least) to Spain. So, I guess it would be deceitful. Guess I should start studying now to offset any boost I thought I was getting! :P


Okay, if it was a male relative the data is ALWAYS going to go back to Spain no matter how black the Dominican (Considering they are Dominican and not Haitian) because Spanish men came, raped Tainas and African women. There were VERY FEW if ANY Spanish women. If a female relative did a mitochondrial DNA search, my cousin who looks very white did one, she came out 60% African, Uroba tribe, and 20% European and 20% Indigenous/Native (Something like that).

IF you have a grandmother or grandfather that is unquestionaly BLACK, put black. If you have a dillemma over it, check Hispanic, then black and white. That would be the most right way to do it.

allycat10
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby allycat10 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Hey everyone!

I am an undergrad, female with the intentions of going to law school and made a recent discovery while doing some ancestry, and was wondering if this is legit for claiming URM. I have always known that my grandfather was born in Mexico and came to the states when he was five but my whole family knew very little about why he was born there etc. After doing some research on his family I found birth records of my great-grandmother in Mexico City, along with some immigration documents from when my great-grandparents and great uncle (before my grandfather was born) crossed the border saying they were latino. Although I only recently discovered this, I am bilingual and the Mexican Culture has always been a part of me, being raised in South Texas. This finding has really helped me connect the dots on my family history, and I was wondering if it would also help me?

Thanks!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 pm

allycat10 wrote:Hey everyone!

I am an undergrad, female with the intentions of going to law school and made a recent discovery while doing some ancestry, and was wondering if this is legit for claiming URM. I have always known that my grandfather was born in Mexico and came to the states when he was five but my whole family knew very little about why he was born there etc. After doing some research on his family I found birth records of my great-grandmother in Mexico City, along with some immigration documents from when my great-grandparents and great uncle (before my grandfather was born) crossed the border saying they were latino. Although I only recently discovered this, I am bilingual and the Mexican Culture has always been a part of me, being raised in South Texas. This finding has really helped me connect the dots on my family history, and I was wondering if it would also help me?

Thanks!


If you check Mexican then you will be considered a URM by law schools and it will help you in admissions. Since you are actually Mexican, there is nothing wrong with checking it.

allycat10
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby allycat10 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Okay thanks, I did not check it on my SAT, or in anything in college I just want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot for being inconsistent, if I all the sudden claim it. Do you know how much they look into these things?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:24 pm

allycat10 wrote:Okay thanks, I did not check it on my SAT, or in anything in college I just want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot for being inconsistent, if I all the sudden claim it. Do you know how much they look into these things?


Eh, that looks sketchy but I don't think that they really check into it.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby subtle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:37 pm

bk1 wrote:
allycat10 wrote:Okay thanks, I did not check it on my SAT, or in anything in college I just want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot for being inconsistent, if I all the sudden claim it. Do you know how much they look into these things?


Eh, that looks sketchy but I don't think that they really check into it.


If someone asks, tell them what you told us: You did some digging in undergrad and subsequently identified. It's like people who are adopted and find their birth families.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby nshapkar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:33 pm

So I'm a Bulgarian that immigrated here when I was 7, and raised in Bulgarian household following Bulgarian culture, norms, and speaking only Bulgarian....am I URM?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:44 pm

nshapkar wrote:So I'm a Bulgarian that immigrated here when I was 7, and raised in Bulgarian household following Bulgarian culture, norms, and speaking only Bulgarian....am I URM?


Is the answer not clear after reading the OP?

To be helpful:

lishi wrote:The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby nshapkar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:14 pm

bk1 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:So I'm a Bulgarian that immigrated here when I was 7, and raised in Bulgarian household following Bulgarian culture, norms, and speaking only Bulgarian....am I URM?


Is the answer not clear after reading the OP?

To be helpful:

lishi wrote:The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.



Nah I'm reading between the lines.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby kapachino » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:07 pm

nshapkar wrote:
bk1 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:So I'm a Bulgarian that immigrated here when I was 7, and raised in Bulgarian household following Bulgarian culture, norms, and speaking only Bulgarian....am I URM?


Is the answer not clear after reading the OP?

To be helpful:

lishi wrote:The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.



Nah I'm reading between the lines.



You're not a URM. Race and ethnicity are two different things. Your race is white, which does not receive a boost.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Heluvsme23 and 3 guests