Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
SoCalStudent

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby SoCalStudent » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:54 am

vanwinkle wrote:
SoCalStudent wrote:What about Persians (Iranians)? I would think that this group (my group) is a URM, right??

Definitely not. You could write a diversity statement and look for some help from that, but you're not a URM.

Thanks for the idea! I was unaware have what race was considered a URM until I looked it up. A diversity statement is something I can write, as I also know some Spanish as well.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 pm

SoCalStudent wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
SoCalStudent wrote:What about Persians (Iranians)? I would think that this group (my group) is a URM, right??

Definitely not. You could write a diversity statement and look for some help from that, but you're not a URM.

Thanks for the idea! I was unaware have what race was considered a URM until I looked it up. A diversity statement is something I can write, as I also know some Spanish as well.

Diversity statements can be written about a broad range of things regardless of URM status. They're also not usually based on things like knowledge of foreign languages, but unique past experiences that allow you to bring a unique perspective to the classroom. For example, someone who is Iranian might write about the persecution they faced while in Iran before fleeing the country, or the discrimination they've faced while attempting to exercise their religious beliefs here in the United States. (These are examples I'm pulling out of thin air, and I'm not trying to make assumptions about you.) These are things that can cause an application to stand out, because very few students in an incoming class will have that kind of experience, and schools will want you to bring those experiences with you and share them in the classroom.

It doesn't have to be anything extreme, either. The experiences I talked about were growing up poor, on a farm, and in an interracial family. Those were experiences that make me relatively unique among the student body here, and made me a stronger applicant. Anything that shows how you're unique and will add to the overall diversity of the student body (whether in race, religion, socioeconomic background, or other unique experience) can help you.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:37 am

kn6542 wrote:
legalized wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:
kn6542 wrote:Why do people always say "African-American"? A lot of black people don't identify with African culture, and many aren't even of African genetic origin.
Can't you just say BLACK? WTF?

Then, if we simply extended this line of reasoning, why would we call people a color at all? [enter Beatles, "Imagine" song in the background]

Actually, people should say black because not all of us are African-American. Some are american blacks, some are african continent blacks, some are caribbean blacks, there are even the aboriginal blacks in Australia.

None of those are African-American.

Yeah, I never understood why ppl would insist on saying African American to sound politically correct, when all you had to do was 1) note that it isn't accurate, 2) talk to some black ppl who hate it.

I think probably bc this is the longest standing and least offensive term there is. Some people dont appreciate being called by a color. Its also worth mentioning that most census's (Law school apps included) only have one box to check off for blacks despite the various countries we come from, in comparison to other races.[/quote]

So true

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:16 pm

legalized wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
silver11 wrote:In this case it is determined by blood, of course you could include a diversity statement speaking about you being raised in a Puerto Rican atmosphere. If a caucasian male grew up in the inner city with out a father and was best friends with only African-Americans and related better to their culture, would you consider this person an African-American? That should answer your question.

Why do people always say "African-American"? A lot of black people don't identify with African culture, and many aren't even of African genetic origin.
Can't you just say BLACK? WTF?

Then, if we simply extended this line of reasoning, why would we call people a color at all? [enter Beatles, "Imagine" song in the background]

Actually, people should say black because not all of us are African-American. Some are american blacks, some are african continent blacks, some are caribbean blacks, there are even the aboriginal blacks in Australia.

None of those are African-American.

Generally, African American has a more specific meaning than black even though they are sometimes used interchangeably. African American refers to US Americans with sub-Saharan African ancestry. It's not supposed to include Australian aboriginals, even though they have a similar complexion. I think the main reason people started using African American is to emphasize the geographical ancestry, history and culture rather than simply skin color or race. African American is somewhat more of an ethnic term than a racial one.

I agree that it is annoying when people use African American to refer to the entire race of people around the world, but I don't have a problem with either term when used correctly.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:45 pm

So, general concensus says Pacific Islanders are not (?) under represented minorities.

I am a Pacific Islander, female, mother, married, who is getting ready to lose a uterus to cancer.

While all of those things don't really warrant my being a URM, do you think I would get any consideration whatsoever in conjunction with being a minority?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:31 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:So, general concensus says Pacific Islanders are not (?) under represented minorities.

I am a Pacific Islander, female, mother, married, who is getting ready to lose a uterus to cancer.

While all of those things don't really warrant my being a URM, do you think I would get any consideration whatsoever in conjunction with being a minority?

Consideration with respect to what? This might help you in the sense that schools like to avoid a homogenous class and try to include people with different backgrounds, but it won't overcome any deficits in GPA or LSAT. At best you might get a spot bc you are different from the last 20 ppl they admitted who are in the same range of scores. But I doubt the fact thaat you got married and popped a few out will get you into a reach. That isn't exactly an accomplishment. In fact it seems like a lot of ppl, despite their best interest, have a really hard time NOT doing just that. You can probably spin it into something about how you actually know how to live like an adult, which sets you off from 90% of the ppl applying.

With regards to the cancer, I condole you, but I think the most you can get out of that is a story about overcoming adversity. Write about it in a PS, maybe, and hope it shows the adcomm some quality that will convince them that you'd succeed in law school. That kind of quality, whatever it is, is what they care about when it comes to stories about adversity, not just simple suffering. So, you're going to have to identify what that is for you and articulate it well. If you're in school now and it's impacting your grades, then be sure to let them know that.

Nena_a

Postby Nena_a » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Im hispanic. Im 24, will be 25 when i apply to law school. I have been married since the age of 18 and have a 1 and 2 yr old. Does that matter? Will it have a negative impact on my apps? (Having kids and being young, that is)

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Nena_a wrote:Im hispanic. Im 24, will be 25 when i apply to law school. I have been married since the age of 18 and have a 1 and 2 yr old. Does that matter? Will it have a negative impact on my apps? (Having kids and being young, that is)

I am 22 with a 1 yo, so if it hurts you, it'll hurt us both.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:15 am

OmbreGracieuse wrote:
Nena_a wrote:Im hispanic. Im 24, will be 25 when i apply to law school. I have been married since the age of 18 and have a 1 and 2 yr old. Does that matter? Will it have a negative impact on my apps? (Having kids and being young, that is)

Why would this hurt either of you? Unless you consider that getting married at < 25 makes a person look monumentally foolish.

Nena_a

Postby Nena_a » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm

kn6542 wrote:
OmbreGracieuse wrote:

Why would this hurt either of you? Unless you consider that getting married at < 25 makes a person look monumentally foolish.

I was very foolish. Still love my husband and kids though. The fact that we are still together shows some sense of responsibility and maturity. I still don't recommend getting married fresh out of high school though.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Italian, Cuban, American Indian (have documentation, tribe card pending).... Can I claim URM?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:08 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Italian, Cuban, American Indian (have documentation, tribe card pending).... Can I claim URM?

An important thing to understand is that you can't "claim URM status". You simply state your race and the school will decide based on that whether you're a URM or not. You don't get to decide, the school does.

However, if you are applying as a Native American and you are registered with a tribe, and you indicate that on your application, they likely will treat you as a URM.

Lawyerwannabe18

Postby Lawyerwannabe18 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 am

:roll:
Last edited by Lawyerwannabe18 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rsuelzer

Postby rsuelzer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 am

Some of this stuff is disgusting.

If you haven't identified as a minority before applying to law school, I am sorry, but you are not a minority.

I really don't want to go to law school with a bunch of white kids who would actually dig deep into their past to prove they are 1/8th Native and decide embrace a cultural (for the moment they check a box) just for the benefits that come along with it, while neither experiencing nor living with the actual realities of being a minority. If you just want to reap the benefits off of the back of people who might actually need them then you have some serious soul searching to do.

Maybe your great-great grandparents were an URM, but they are not applying to Law School. YOU ARE. If you question if you are a minority, then you are most likely not...

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:49 am

rsuelzer wrote:Some of this stuff is disgusting.

If you haven't identified as a minority before applying to law school, I am sorry, but you are not a minority.

I really don't want to go to law school with a bunch of white kids who would actually dig deep into their past to prove they are 1/8th Native and decide embrace a cultural (for the moment they check a box) just for the benefits that come along with it, while neither experiencing nor living with the actual realities of being a minority. If you just want to reap the benefits off of the back of people who might actually need them then you have some serious soul searching to do.

Maybe your great-great grandparents were an URM, but they are not applying to Law School. YOU ARE. If you question if you are a minority, then you are most likely not...

And you are the arbiter of what constitutes a minority?

Please spare us the lecture, for many people the very concept URM is itself disgusting. If people wish to exploit opportunities given to them, more power to them.

Careless

Postby Careless » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:06 pm

BenJ wrote:Actually, they probably are. Native Taiwanese are much worse off than Han Taiwanese economically, although not destitute or anything (and usually because they tend to live in rural areas of Taiwan more than anything else). But there are so few in the US that "under-represented" is incredibly hard to measure.

Yeah, if there were a lot more Taiwanese in the US, it would probably qualify. If Taiwan had (has?) a US-style system, it would qualify there. And if Filipinos don't qualify as Pacific Islanders, Taiwanese (their closest genetic cousins are the Filipinos) definitely don't.

But there just aren't nearly enough Taiwanese in this country (or anywhere but Taiwan) for them to be on the radar of admission offices

ishberry14

Postby ishberry14 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:45 am

im a bangladeshi, do i count?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 13, 2010 1:46 am

ishberry14 wrote:im a bangladeshi, do i count?

No.

FinFan13

Postby FinFan13 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:09 pm

I'm half Persian, half Mexican.

I don't have any contact with my biological father.

Am I a URM? If so, how do I go about proving it?

Postby 06132010 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:11 pm

FinFan13 wrote:I'm half Persian, half Mexican.

it involves fellatio.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Fri May 14, 2010 12:14 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:

it involves fellatio.

return of the real boo = truly a great day

juanitaaaaa

Postby juanitaaaaa » Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 am

I'm Indonesian...I won't count as a URM either, huh??

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:56 am

They don't require you to prove it. Just say you identify as Mexican and Persian, which is true.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat May 22, 2010 3:59 pm

juanitaaaaa wrote:I'm Indonesian...I won't count as a URM either, huh??

no.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
juanitaaaaa wrote:I'm Indonesian...I won't count as a URM either, huh??

no.

Nice tar. Did her blowing her brains out not make sense to anyone else? That whole show pissed me off.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”