Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jcwilsn1

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby jcwilsn1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:18 am

Z'Barron wrote:
lishi wrote:Since this question comes up many times, let's try to keep all of the answers and responses in one thread. Everything below is the answers that other TLS posters will give you when you ask a question. I know this because I've spent way too much time on this site for over a year.

The general consensus on this board (TLS) is that the only groups to receive URM (Under Represented Minority) boosts are: Black/African Americans, Native Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans.

If you are from any other Latin American or Spanish speaking country, the consensus is to just check the Hispanic box. You may not receive as much of a boost as those that check Mexican or Puerto Rican, but it may still help you in showing diversity to the class.

For Native Americans some schools require that you show a tribe affiliation. This is not all schools, but check with the schools you are interested in before deciding to check this box.

For Arabs/Indians/Pakistanians/Middle Easterners, for law school purposes you are usually not considered a URM. This is for a variety of reasons. It's most likely not fair, but life isn't fair.

If you have any questions about your URM status that are not answered above PLEASE ASK THEM IN THIS THREAD. All questions regarding whether your background/race/heritage/circumstance falls into the URM category will be moved to this thread.

Good Luck to everyone who is applying to law school!!!!

I'm feeling a bit militant right now, so I need to check all people of color. It's funny how other people of color often look down their noses at Black Americans (as if they are better than we are) but they want to get in line with us for those benefits that we have fought so hard for. They don't want their daughters marrying Black men. They don't want to live in our neighborhoods, and they don't want us in theirs. They don't hire us to work with them in their stores, restaurants and shops, but they gladly take our money when we want to spend it in those same businesses. Rarely do I see anyone of Pakistanian, Venezuelan, Guatamalan, or East Indian descent eating at a soul food restaurant, for example.

They only want to be near or like Blacks when it comes to benefitting from our fight. Then they get into American col;leges and universities and avoid us like the plague. They don't extend themselves to us. They don't eat lunh with us. The females from such ethnic groups are scared of Black men and stereotype us as being loud and violent. But they neglect to thank us for making their education possible...and giving them a country in which they can truly be free. This country would not be what it is without the contributions of Blacks. And in the "ignorance" of other people of color is really just disrespect. how about thanking black Americans, past and present, for their sacrifices...sacrifices that made your freedoms possible, whether you are considered URM or not.

That's my editorial for the day. :wink:

oh man, why do I even read the URM board? lol

I feel like you are lumping alot of people into a few very specific statements of yours.

And to add for an anecdotal story, I have never seen an AA in my favorite thai food restaurant, and I live in Memphis.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:06 am

Z'Barron wrote:I'm feeling a bit militant right now, so I need to check all people of color. It's funny how other people of color often look down their noses at Black Americans (as if they are better than we are) but they want to get in line with us for those benefits that we have fought so hard for. They don't want their daughters marrying Black men. They don't want to live in our neighborhoods, and they don't want us in theirs. They don't hire us to work with them in their stores, restaurants and shops, but they gladly take our money when we want to spend it in those same businesses. Rarely do I see anyone of Pakistanian, Venezuelan, Guatamalan, or East Indian descent eating at a soul food restaurant, for example.

They only want to be near or like Blacks when it comes to benefitting from our fight. Then they get into American col;leges and universities and avoid us like the plague. They don't extend themselves to us. They don't eat lunh with us. The females from such ethnic groups are scared of Black men and stereotype us as being loud and violent. But they neglect to thank us for making their education possible...and giving them a country in which they can truly be free. This country would not be what it is without the contributions of Blacks. And in the "ignorance" of other people of color is really just disrespect. how about thanking black Americans, past and present, for their sacrifices...sacrifices that made your freedoms possible, whether you are considered URM or not.

That's my editorial for the day. :wink:

Dude. Don't go full retard.

gorrillaunit18

Postby gorrillaunit18 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:02 pm

People need to stop worrying about if they qualify as a URM or if they're being "screwed by the man" for not being one. IF YOUR'E SMART ENOUGH...YOU'LL GO TO LAW SCHOOL. Just b/c someone gets a HUGE boost b/c of their skin color, it doesn't mean they'll pass the bar and be a successful lawyer.

Think about it...

kthnxby

Quine

Postby Quine » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Does anyone on here decline to declare their ethnicity? How do adcomms view that?

gorrillaunit18

Postby gorrillaunit18 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:12 pm

mctj wrote:Does anyone on here decline to declare their ethnicity? How do adcomms view that?

ok, ok....you start. :P

jdsingar

Postby jdsingar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:25 pm

I am 50% Indian (From India; where I am from many people don't get that..) and 50% Chinese. That said, I was born and raised in America. Would I qualify for a URM?

I get the impression that both those race groups don't benefit from URM status. Granted, there are very few people with a mix like me.

irie

Postby irie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:53 pm

jdsingar wrote:I am 50% Indian (From India; where I am from many people don't get that..) and 50% Chinese. That said, I was born and raised in America. Would I qualify for a URM?

I get the impression that both those race groups don't benefit from URM status. Granted, there are very few people with a mix like me.

you are not URM. unfortunately when it comes to URM status two negatives dont make a positive.

I must admit however... I've never seen a half Indian half Chinese. what do you look like? :D

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:58 pm

irie wrote:
jdsingar wrote:I am 50% Indian (From India; where I am from many people don't get that..) and 50% Chinese. That said, I was born and raised in America. Would I qualify for a URM?

you are not URM. unfortunately when it comes to URM status two negatives dont make a positive.

I must admit however... I've never seen a half Indian half Chinese. what do you look like? :D

probably hot. mixed race people are always really hot.

lawlover829

Postby lawlover829 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:59 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
irie wrote:

chinese peeps are hot.
Last edited by lawlover829 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:04 pm

lawlover829 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
irie wrote:

chinese peeps are hot. Indians are eh (I should know I have very far extended family that lives in India....)

personal preference, but i totally dig indians. at least indian-americans - i've never been to india.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:20 pm

So, if I understand this thread correctly, a URM is defined by the ratio of the amount of the group in the law profession to the amount of the group in the US population as a whole? Badly phrased I know. So, by that logic, the goal of the URM bump is to replicate the demographics of the US population as a whole within the law profession?

If that is the case, shouldn't there be more URM checkboxes for certain religions or nationalities that are well-represented in the US population but not well-represented in the law profession?

jdsingar

Postby jdsingar » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:20 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
lawlover829 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
irie wrote:

chinese peeps are hot. Indians are eh (I should know I have very far extended family that lives in India....)

personal preference, but i totally dig indians. at least indian-americans - i've never been to india.

Well that's lame. I suppose my minority status is actually more of a benefit given that many people assume I am smarter than I really am.

I am told I look Hawaiian though. Not sure how I feel about that. That's the typical response I get from people who ask me what tribe I am from when I mention I am half indian, so that may not mean much.

HokkaidoGyuNyu

Postby HokkaidoGyuNyu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:35 pm

I'm Mexicano, but don't speak espanol, dont have an espanol name, and wasn't raised in a Mexican household (parents separated before I was born). But I'm still Mexican. Would I get a bump even though I have nothing Mexicano-ish to write about in a diversity statement? People have made burrito jokes and maid-service jokes? Does that help lol? But seriously?

Lisa_I

Postby Lisa_I » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:42 am

Hi guys,

I am Russian - Mordvin origin girl (Mordva is the small republic in Russia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordvins). In my birth certificate it states that my mother is Russian and dad is Mordvin
I was born in USSR, my native Russian. I m USA green card holder. Am I consider as URM or not? (as a girl I think I might, but as nationality, what is your take on it?)

schuywalker

Postby schuywalker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Nope, you are not an underrepresented minority. However, your experience could make for an interesting diversity statement.

whodatis

Postby whodatis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:36 am

My mom was born in Africa, and raised there for several years of her life, however both my parents are ethnically indian.....is there any way i can construe this to be a URM?

schuywalker

Postby schuywalker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Nope, you are asian (indian) and not an under represented miniority.

If your mom were applying to law school, her experience living in Africa could make for an interesting diversity statement.

jimsgundam

Postby jimsgundam » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am

Does international students from mainland China count as URM?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:32 am

jimsgundam wrote:Does international students from mainland China count as URM?

no

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Is Brazilian considered a URM?

unknown

Postby unknown » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:19 am

Are Cubans (born/raised in Cuba) who are "white" (race) considered URM?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:46 am

ValiantVic wrote:Is Brazilian considered a URM?

no

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:47 am

unknown wrote:Are Cubans (born/raised in Cuba) who are "white" (race) considered URM?

no. scrolling through the thread will also help you out, as many of these specific questions have already been answered.

iSpool

Postby iSpool » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Last edited by iSpool on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:14 am

Q: I'm a Russian, Polish, or European female immigrant. Am I a URM?

A: If you aren't black/African American, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Native American, you aren't considered a URM.

Q: I'm Cuban, Brazillian, or from some other Latin or South American country. Am I a URM.

A: If you aren't black/African American, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Native American, you aren't considered a URM.

Q: I'm asian. Am I a URM?

Q: I'm Martian, Vulcan, or Wookie. Am I a URM?

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”