Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Dripworx

Bronze

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by Dripworx » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:50 pm

bk187 wrote:
Dripworx wrote:would it be wise to ask admissions anonymously through email what would fall under the category of URM at their school?
They aren't going to give you any answer that is useful. They don't specifically broadcast "Hey we give people URM bumps." Just apply and see what happens. If you are AA/NA/MX/PR it is almost certain. If you are other Hispanic it is possible. Outside of that it is definitely no.

Yea, they sent back the most useless email ever. They said they accept diversity statements and will look at factors other than strictly numbers.

Thanks though :D

SehMeSerrious

Gold

Post by SehMeSerrious » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:26 am

Last edited by SehMeSerrious on Thu May 19, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquasaqua

New

Post by aquasaqua » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:01 am

At law firms where I did callbacks, they used the census definitions:

White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.

Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "Black, African Am., or Negro," or provide written entries such as African American, Afro American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian.

American Indian and Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintain tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam. It includes "Asian Indian," "Chinese," "Filipino," "Korean," "Japanese," "Vietnamese," and "Other Asian."

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands. It includes people who indicate their race as "Native Hawaiian," "Guamanian or Chamorro," "Samoan," and "Other Pacific Islander."

Some other race. Includes all other responses not included in the "White", "Black or African American", "American Indian and Alaska Native", "Asian" and "Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander" race categories described above. Respondents providing write-in entries such as multiracial, mixed, interracial, Wesort, or a Hispanic/Latino group (for example, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Cuban) in the "Some other race" category are included here.

Two or more races. People may have chosen to provide two or more races either by checking two or more race response check boxes, by providing multiple write-in responses, or by some combination of check boxes and write-in responses.

--LinkRemoved--

lookingglass3

New

Post by lookingglass3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm a Venezuelan born current US citizen. Came here when I was 10 mostly thanks to my father being Puerto Rican. I have always related to both races but usually had just put South American since I was a Venezuelan citizen for most of my applications (I became an US citizen less than a year ago.) Should I check both South American and Puerto Rican in my app. I have already put that I have dual citizenship. And yes I do consider myself full on hispanic as I still speak spanish with my parents and family/friends, and all of my family resides outside of the US.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:27 pm

Check either what you are or what you've always checked.

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Canadian First Nation (belonging to a Transbondery people I can prove contraction to Alaska Natives )? I do intend to support my people I Alaska if I am able

dcman06

New

Post by dcman06 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:54 pm

Continuing on this Hispanic/non-Hispanic thing, I'm seeing some interesting things:

1. Since Hispanic origin is an ethnicity, then that means any race can be Hispanic. Guys like Daddy Yankee, J-Lo, Jessica Alba, Selena Gomez, Sammy Sosa, Mariano Rivera, Hiromi Hayakawa, and Angela Park are all Hispanics but clearly have different backgrounds from Europe, Africa, and Asia. So, anyone born in Mexico (for example) and living there for some time, then moving to the US would be Hispanic by default? I think Brazil also qualifies as Hispanic depending on the source though they don't speak Spanish there.

2. Why is Spanish included in the definition of Hispanic? White people are people from Europe and the Middle East and Spanish people are European.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Hispanic means of Spanish descent. This obviously includes Spaniards. Race and ethnicity are social constructs so while all Hispanics are technically white, black, or asian, many of them don't identify as such. This is starting to be more widely accepted.

And Brazilians are of Portugese not Spanish descent.

Jenny17

New

Post by Jenny17 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:18 pm

I think the common thread that connects all (or most) Hispanic/Latinos of any race are language and religion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's difficult for some people to see the difference and similarities between different Hispanic-origin ethnic groups. For example, in my experience, some Mexican-Americans do not like that some Hispanic-Americans in New Mexico and Colorado claim to be "Spanish-American" - even though they could probably claim Mexican-American descent (e.g. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar). It's complicated because some Hispanics think that other Hispanics are distorting their heritage due to different reasons (embarrassment, superiority, etc.). However, generally speaking, I think a fair amount of Spaniards have Moorish or Sephardic Jewish ancestry, and they are not as "white" as other European countries, like England or Ireland, that did not have invasions from foreign lands. To conclude, I think Spaniards should be included as Hispanics/Latinos.
Last edited by Jenny17 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Jenny17 wrote:I think the common thread that connects all (or most) Hispanic/Latinos of any race are language and religion.

I claim Spanish as my ethnicity, yet I am clearly white. My ancestors came from Spain in the 1600s to Mexico, then Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I think it's difficult for some people to see the difference and similarities between different Hispanic-origin ethnic groups. For example, in my experience, some Mexican-Americans do not like that some Hispanic-Americans in New Mexico and Colorado claim to be "Spanish-American" - even though they could probably claim Mexican-American descent (e.g. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar). It's complicated because some Hispanics think that other Hispanics are distorting their heritage due to different reasons (embarrassment, superiority, etc.). However, generally speaking, I think a fair amount of Spaniards have Moorish or Sephardic Jewish ancestry, and they are not as "white" as other European countries, like England or Ireland, that did not have invasions from foreign lands. To conclude, I think Spaniards should be included as Hispanics/Latinos.
Edit: Because I misinterpreted this and was so completely wrong. My bad!
Last edited by s0ph1e2007 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 pm

dcman06 wrote:1. Since Hispanic origin is an ethnicity, then that means any race can be Hispanic. Guys like Daddy Yankee, J-Lo, Jessica Alba, Selena Gomez, Sammy Sosa, Mariano Rivera, Hiromi Hayakawa, and Angela Park are all Hispanics but clearly have different backgrounds from Europe, Africa, and Asia. So, anyone born in Mexico (for example) and living there for some time, then moving to the US would be Hispanic by default? I think Brazil also qualifies as Hispanic depending on the source though they don't speak Spanish there.
"Hispanic" blends cultural and ethnic considerations, in part because bringing in someone who is culturally Hispanic adds diversity no matter what their racial background, and in part because there are people of so many backgrounds living in Latin America that it's hard to pin a single ethnic identifier on them. Someone born and raised in Mexico could identify as Hispanic, yes.

This is also why they often first ask 1) if you're Hispanic and then 2) what your race is. You can thus identify as both Hispanic and white, Hispanic and black, etc.
dcman06 wrote:2. Why is Spanish included in the definition of Hispanic? White people are people from Europe and the Middle East and Spanish people are European.
Cultural similarity, I would assume, although often Spaniards are not included in the definition of Hispanic. Sometimes you'll see them listed, but they're very often excluded.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:26 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:You said you were Hispanic on your applications, because your family came from Spain in 1600? Unless your family then stayed in Mexico until recently...
... That's.... just dishonest. You may feel very close to your Spanish heritage, and I respect that, but it is CLEARLY not what admissions officers mean.
He said Spain to Mexico to New Mexico. That's a rather normal Hispanic (and specifically Mexican-American) lineage. Keep in mind that New Mexico was just "Mexico" until we took it. I see nothing dishonest about identifying as Hispanic there as long as it matches what his family has kept identifying themselves as, which they had a right to do.

Jenny17

New

Post by Jenny17 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:31 pm

You said you were Hispanic on your applications, because your family came from Spain in 1600? Unless your family then stayed in Mexico until recently...
... That's.... just dishonest. You may feel very close to your Spanish heritage, and I respect that, but it is CLEARLY not what admissions officers mean.
You misunderstand me - clearly, ethnicity cannot be summed up in a paragraph.

---------------------
Last edited by Jenny17 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenny17

New

Post by Jenny17 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:33 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:You said you were Hispanic on your applications, because your family came from Spain in 1600? Unless your family then stayed in Mexico until recently...
He said Spain to Mexico to New Mexico. That's a rather normal Hispanic (and specifically Mexican-American) lineage. Keep in mind that New Mexico was just "Mexico" until we took it. I see nothing dishonest about identifying as Hispanic there as long as it matches what his family has kept identifying themselves as, which they had a right to do.
Thank you for pointing that out.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Jenny17 wrote:
You said you were Hispanic on your applications, because your family came from Spain in 1600? Unless your family then stayed in Mexico until recently...
You misunderstand me - clearly, ethnicity cannot be summed up in a paragraph.

I guess a generation removed from the country of origin, race should be negated. If Ken Salazar can claim Hispano, so can I. When people ask me what "I am" because apparently I don't look "white" enough, I should blink and act stupid. That's ridiculous.

I did misunderstand you. Don't get upset.
Yes, I agree. That would be absurd.
I was under the wrong impression that you had basically immigrated pre-revolution to the U.S. and he re-acquired your Hispanic-ness.
I'm mixed and I get where you're coming from. I take it back completely. Hey, I'll even go delete it. Totally my fault, sorry.

keeran23

New

Post by keeran23 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:41 pm

So, I'm still unsure how law schools will view me:

I am part South African part Indian. HOWEVER, due to some odd family problems/situations, I have been legally claimed and marked as an Indian for as long as I remember (I claimed Asian-American on the SATs, etc., etc.). I am claiming Asian-American on my applications as well though I do talk about my family in South Africa and India in my personal statement and how me being multicultural has influenced my life.

Can anyone shed some light as to whether I'll get a URM consideration asides from an applicant who brings a lot of diversity?

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before but I've read through this thread and looked around for others but I can't seem to find the answer that I'm looking for, so I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me. I'm fairly certain I understand the concept of a URM, but I don't know if I fit it.
I'm half Mexican, but my family has been in the U.S. since my great grandparents came here before my grandmother was born. My father is Italian, but I've grown up practicing a lot of traditions from my Mexican heritage and I do consider myself to be of Mexican descent - I'm just not sure if this is enough to qualify as a URM.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 pm

n_gal wrote:I'm really sorry if this has been asked before but I've read through this thread and looked around for others but I can't seem to find the answer that I'm looking for, so I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me. I'm fairly certain I understand the concept of a URM, but I don't know if I fit it.
I'm half Mexican, but my family has been in the U.S. since my great grandparents came here before my grandmother was born. My father is Italian, but I've grown up practicing a lot of traditions from my Mexican heritage and I do consider myself to be of Mexican descent - I'm just not sure if this is enough to qualify as a URM.
If you previously identified yourself as Mexican-American then you are free to do so on your law school applications. You could also write a diversity statement talking about your family's tradition of Mexican heritage. If you did this, schools would consider you to be a URM.

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:57 pm

vanwinkle wrote:If you previously identified yourself as Mexican-American then you are free to do so on your law school applications. You could also write a diversity statement talking about your family's tradition of Mexican heritage. If you did this, schools would consider you to be a URM.
Thats part of my problem, I think that on my UG apps. I put that I declined to answer or that I was caucasian, I didn't have great grades out of HS and was not all that interested in my applications - certainly not interested enough to look into whether or not I qualified as Mexican. But since I'm putting Mexican and white anyway does it matter? or since I've never formally identified as Mexican before does it appear as if I'm using this all of the sudden to give me an extra boost?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:00 pm

n_gal wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:If you previously identified yourself as Mexican-American then you are free to do so on your law school applications. You could also write a diversity statement talking about your family's tradition of Mexican heritage. If you did this, schools would consider you to be a URM.
Thats part of my problem, I think that on my UG apps. I put that I declined to answer or that I was caucasian, I didn't have great grades out of HS and was not all that interested in my applications - certainly not interested enough to look into whether or not I qualified as Mexican. But since I'm putting Mexican and white anyway does it matter? or since I've never formally identified as Mexican before does it appear as if I'm using this all of the sudden to give me an extra boost?
Congrats, you're Mexican now! As long as your story is truthful, I don't see how there could be any negative consequence for identifying yourself as Mexican. Do it bruh. Game the system.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:00 pm

n_gal wrote:
You can identify as both, Mexican and white, as long as you are. Schools are more likely to take that seriously if you write a DS pointing to your actual experiences and showing you'd actually legitimately bring diversity to the classroom if accepted. That's what the URM boost is about; increasing diversity. You'd both reduce the image that you're doing it just for a boost, and increase the odds of getting one, by writing a solid DS.

n_gal

New

Post by n_gal » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks! I do genuinely identify with my Mexican heritage and plan to write a DS, so I don't want it come off as trying to exploit it! I appreciate your help! :D

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:01 am

vanwinkle wrote: Cultural similarity, I would assume, although often Spaniards are not included in the definition of Hispanic. Sometimes you'll see them listed, but they're very often excluded.
Honestly, I do not see how one could claim that Spaniards are not Hispanics. Hispanic originally referred to the geographic region of Hispania (i.e. Iberian Peninsula)... which is Spain. They are not Latin-American, but are certainly Hispanic. I personally have never seen Spaniards excluded from the Hispanic label.

Bronze

Post by 83947368 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Adm.Doppleganger wrote:Hi there.

I'm proud to be a quarter Mexican and always have been. I've always noted that I consider myself part Mexican and part white on applications and official documents. That being said, I look very white although my middle name--which is my mother's maiden name and I like all my siblings go by--is definitely hispanic.

Now the totally irrelevant shit:
I have many cousins and aunts in Mexico and we visit/converse regularly.

I don't speak Spanish fluently.

About everyone in my mother's generation speaks Spanish fluently.

My Mexican grandfather was a UCLA graduated MD.

Point at issue: I plan on checking both Mexican and White when I can. Most application's I've perused don't ask to specifically ID as URM.

1. Should I feel guilty for checking Mexican given the weight that is ascribed to it?
2. Should I expect anything at all for doing so?
3. Should I not do it?

Thanks for considering this silly and trivial post.
I'm going to assume you're serious, and simply not aware of the search function on your computer.

Yes check box
No don't feel guilty! You ARE Hispanic! why would you feel guilty for telling people you are just because they will value your contribution more than if you didn't?
Good luck to you. Check your boxes. Let your conscience rest. HONESTLY. no one will tell you differently, and if someone does, they're just trying to mess with you.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”