Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Helicio

Bronze

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by Helicio » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 am

bk187 wrote:
Helicio wrote:So to be clear, Middle Eastern is NOT URM, correct?

And how much can diversity statemenets help if one is from a super super super small minority from the Mid East?
Correct.

Probably not much but no reason not to.
Grazie.

jns66

New

Post by jns66 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi!

I can't really seem to get the right information on LSAC so please forgive me if this is redundant. My mother's parents and most of her family are either from Puerto Rico (born there) or have parents who were born there. However, my father is Caucasian. I have typically identified most with my mother's family as I am much closer to them and to that culture. Do I mark both Puerto Rican and Caucasian down on the sheet? I usually have just marked Puerto Rican in the past, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Also, even though I was not born in Puerto Rico, I am still considered Puerto Rican, correct? The whole concept of what constitutes an URM/what the correct box to check is confuses me a bit.

Thanks!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:28 pm

jns66 wrote:Hi!

I can't really seem to get the right information on LSAC so please forgive me if this is redundant. My mother's parents and most of her family are either from Puerto Rico (born there) or have parents who were born there. However, my father is Caucasian. I have typically identified most with my mother's family as I am much closer to them and to that culture. Do I mark both Puerto Rican and Caucasian down on the sheet? I usually have just marked Puerto Rican in the past, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Also, even though I was not born in Puerto Rico, I am still considered Puerto Rican, correct? The whole concept of what constitutes an URM/what the correct box to check is confuses me a bit.

Thanks!
The question is about race or ethnicity, not birthplace. If you identify as Puerto Rican you may identify as such.

It's your choice whether to identify as one or both. Since you've historically identified only as Puerro Rican there should be no problem with doing so. It's largely a matter of preference; the correct box to check is the one (or ones) you identify with.

TDragon

New

Post by TDragon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:04 am

I am a Salvadorian male,age 23. I was born in U.S., both parents born in El Salvador. Under LSAC, I am considered "Central American". Before coming on this sub forum, I thought I was good to go (considering how many more Mexican's and PR people there are compared to Salvadorians in the U.S.) however after reading that the 4 primary URMs are Mexicans and PR (regarding Hispanics), am I screwed out of being a URM?

I read somewhere (on this forum I believe) that if your not Mexican or PR, other Hispanics (like me) are given no thought of. I thought being "Central American" would be better than being "Mexican" when I initially thought about it. I mean how many Central Americans are in law school compared to your average Mexican/PR? No offense...

Honestly up until this point, I didn't realize the potential impact being Central American would be regarding being accepted into law school, however after reading how significant the boost can be, I am worried that I will lose out...why couldn't I be Mexican or Puerto Rican :roll:

What about if I write a diversity statement? TBH I have had a pretty chill life, im far from being poor,etc. I mean, if I write a diversity statement saying how bad I have had it and how poor I am (well im not rich), would that help? To be truthful, I have worked ever since I was 16, but don't most people? If downplaying my life will help,then why not? I have yet to play the "racecard" in my life but now seems like a good time to start.

tonton

Bronze

Post by tonton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:07 am

This thread is hilarious! Not in the least because OP wrote "Pakistanians" with impunity. Still not sure what she meant to say. Palestine - Palestinian ; Pakistan - Pakistani

Also LOL-ing HARD at white South African trying to gain URM status.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 am

TDragon wrote:I am a Salvadorian male,age 23. I was born in U.S., both parents born in El Salvador. Under LSAC, I am considered "Central American". Before coming on this sub forum, I thought I was good to go (considering how many more Mexican's and PR people there are compared to Salvadorians in the U.S.) however after reading that the 4 primary URMs are Mexicans and PR (regarding Hispanics), am I screwed out of being a URM?

I read somewhere (on this forum I believe) that if your not Mexican or PR, other Hispanics (like me) are given no thought of. I thought being "Central American" would be better than being "Mexican" when I initially thought about it. I mean how many Central Americans are in law school compared to your average Mexican/PR? No offense...

Honestly up until this point, I didn't realize the potential impact being Central American would be regarding being accepted into law school, however after reading how significant the boost can be, I am worried that I will lose out...why couldn't I be Mexican or Puerto Rican :roll:

What about if I write a diversity statement? TBH I have had a pretty chill life, im far from being poor,etc. I mean, if I write a diversity statement saying how bad I have had it and how poor I am (well im not rich), would that help? To be truthful, I have worked ever since I was 16, but don't most people? If downplaying my life will help,then why not? I have yet to play the "racecard" in my life but now seems like a good time to start.
I think you are misunderstanding how PRs/MAs are under represented. It is because there is such a large population of MAs/PRs in the US, yet there are so few MA/PR attorneys relative to their national population.

You are still a diverse candidate and should write a DS. You just said you are far from poor, and then asked if you should write about being poor. You should not misrepresent yourself.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Hello,

I hope you can help me with this:

I was born in Israel (though I'm an Americn citizen) both my parents are from Israel and 3/4 of their parents were born in different parts of Africa. I am by no means dark skin (I have no idea how this matters but I am adding it). How do I go about by deciding if I can clasify myself as URM? I cocnede to the fact that if you are unsure if you are a URM, then you probably are not but I nevertheless want to see if it is legal for me to clasify myself as URM and what is the process if you clasify yourself as such but you don't appear own (skin color etc.) most schools will not see my face until the first day of orientation.

I want to do what is right, but I also want to see that all my options are covere and also to really understand the URM policy in regards to the app process.

thank you for any help

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Lear22 wrote:Hello,

I was born in Israel (though I'm an Americn citizen) both my parents are from Israel and 3/4 of their parents were born in different parts of Africa. I am by no means dark skin (I have no idea how this matters but I am adding it). How do I go about by deciding if I can clasify myself as URM? I cocnede to the fact that if you are unsure if you are a URM, then you probably are not but I nevertheless want to see if it is legal for me to clasify myself as URM and what is the process if you clasify yourself as such but you don't appear own (skin color etc.) most schools will not see my face until the first day of orientation.

I want to do what is right, but I also want to see that all my options are covere and also to really understand the URM policy in regards to the app process.

thank you for any help
No.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Nightrunner wrote:

thank you for any help
No.
Is that because only parts of African are part of the URM?

thanks

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:11 pm

It's because only black people URMs.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:13 pm

thank you for any help
Your three grandparents born in Africa: are any of them black, or are they African the same way Dave Matthews is African?

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:20 pm

one is dark skin, two are light skin.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Lear22 wrote:one is dark skin, two are light skin.
Not what I asked.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Not what I asked.

I thought that by 'black' you are asking about skin color? If no, what are you asking about?

thanks

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Lear22 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Not what I asked.

I thought that by 'black' you are asking about skin color? If no, what are you asking about?

thanks
Don't play cute.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Not what I asked.

thanks
Don't play cute.
Ok

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:30 pm

My grandmother is from France, but her family is Tunisian (both her parents born there, family lived there since way back). The rest of my ancestry is white. I have been told that this qualifies me as 1/4 African-American, but it feels dishonest to claim this, as I look white, have basically no identification with Tunisian culture, and have never suffered any discrimination on account of my heritage. Thought?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:49 pm

cynthiad wrote:My grandmother is from France, but her family is Tunisian (both her parents born there, family lived there since way back). The rest of my ancestry is white. I have been told that this qualifies me as 1/4 African-American, but it feels dishonest to claim this, as I look white, have basically no identification with Tunisian culture, and have never suffered any discrimination on account of my heritage. Thought?
Is your grandmother black? If yes then you are black. If no then you are not black.

Top quotes in this thread should help: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=193620

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:53 pm

bk187 wrote:
cynthiad wrote:My grandmother is from France, but her family is Tunisian (both her parents born there, family lived there since way back). The rest of my ancestry is white. I have been told that this qualifies me as 1/4 African-American, but it feels dishonest to claim this, as I look white, have basically no identification with Tunisian culture, and have never suffered any discrimination on account of my heritage. Thought?
Is your grandmother black? If yes then you are black. If no then you are not black.

Top quotes in this thread should help: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=193620
I find this kind of tricky simply because I consider my grandmother black, but she is not from the US and never been here. (I immigrated here by myslef) so I concussed if this qualifyes me as URM or not.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:32 am

Lear22 wrote:
bk187 wrote:

I find this kind of tricky simply because I consider my grandmother black, but she is not from the US and never been here. (I immigrated here by myslef) so I concussed if this qualifyes me as URM or not.

Considering her black won't make her so. If she's not actually black, then guess what?

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 am

kapachino wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Considering her black won't make her so. If she's not actually black, then guess what?
I agree with you. But the question here is how are these things gets verified? And according to who? My grandmother had been gone for over 10 years. I am unsure to how do schools inquire on the whole URM notion when it's not cut throat as it is when someone is AA by color of skin and direct heritage.

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:26 am

cynthiad wrote: but it feels dishonest to claim this
If you feel like nitpicking and loopholing on the internet all damn day, I suppose you're free to do so, but if the fact that your own gut feeling is "this is dishonest" doesn't give you your answer, then you're a lost human being.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Lear22 wrote:I am unsure to how do schools inquire on the whole URM notion when it's not cut throat as it is when someone is AA by color of skin and direct heritage.
Schools do not inquire on the "URM notion." You mark your race/ethnicity and then schools choose to do something or not based on that. It's not cutthroat, it's just honesty in self-reporting your race/ethnicity.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:46 pm

bk187 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:I am unsure to how do schools inquire on the whole URM notion when it's not cut throat as it is when someone is AA by color of skin and direct heritage.
Schools do not inquire on the "URM notion." You mark your race/ethnicity and then schools choose to do something or not based on that. It's not cutthroat, it's just honesty in self-reporting your race/ethnicity.
Thank you for the info. So my next question is if I identify myself as a URM and get accepted (partly) because of that, and then I get to orientation and the color of my skin is white, how will that go from there? will I be asked to explain why I marked myself as a URM? Also - since this is something that I am now beginning to discover about my family heritage, I marked myself as 'white' in the former LSAT I took. Does that matter at all? Again, in the way that that I would need to explain to schools why I marked myself as white in June but as a non-white in Oct (All this is simply because of my new found understanding of how URM work and also discussions I had with my family about that).

thanks you for all your help with this!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Lear22 wrote:Thank you for the info. So my next question is if I identify myself as a URM and get accepted (partly) because of that, and then I get to orientation and the color of my skin is white, how will that go from there? will I be asked to explain why I marked myself as a URM? Also - since this is something that I am now beginning to discover about my family heritage, I marked myself as 'white' in the former LSAT I took. Does that matter at all? Again, in the way that that I would need to explain to schools why I marked myself as white in June but as a non-white in Oct (All this is simply because of my new found understanding of how URM work and also discussions I had with my family about that).

thanks you for all your help with this!
This is not complicated at all. Just honestly report your race/ethnicity and there will be no issues. Period.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”