169 LSAT BLANK GPA URM

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
michaeleid811

New

169 LSAT BLANK GPA URM

Postby michaeleid811 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:18 am

Hello, I'm a Mexican American Male, I'm thinking of retaking in the July test and just canceling if it isn't higher? I dropped out at 16 due to family circumstances and got my GED, 20 years later I obtained a degree in a year with self study and taking CLEP and DSST exams. These credits are pass fail though and leaves me well short of the sixty credits required for a GPA from Lsac, Appreciate any thoughts you guys may have?

Goldie

Bronze

Re: 169 LSAT BLANK GPA URM

Postby Goldie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:34 am

I did most of my college degree through CLEP and DSST classes, but I had two online classes which gave me a GPA of 3.85. Went to a ~T30 with around a ~60% scholarship, then transferred to a YHS after 1L. My unusual college background certainly raised questions during my 1L apps, but didn't disqualify me. Sounds like you've already graduated college? If not, take at least a couple online classes. (Alternatively, maybe see if you could take a couple online classes in a different area and convert your CLEP/DSST credits into a second bachelors degree with a GPA?)

michaeleid811

New

Postby michaeleid811 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:54 am

My Degree GPA is 3.5 from two classes but I thought law schools only looked at Cumulative GPA which is blank because I don't have sixty credits? I have already graduated and any class I take after graduating isn't included in that Cumulative GPA either right?

Goldie

Bronze

Postby Goldie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:21 pm

If that's true, then law schools didn't look at my GPA either. And no, I wouldn't think you could backdate a class--I was just suggesting that, if you truly had *no* GPA, that it might be worth trying to turn your credits into a second degree with a GPA. Since you have at least some GPA, I think I'd just apply with your current stats, or else retake to try to have an even higher LSAT to cancel out your unconventional GPA situation.

michaeleid811

New

Postby michaeleid811 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:00 pm

What did you get on your LSAT if it is okay for me to ask?

nicole1994

New

Postby nicole1994 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:43 pm

Mind sharing your transfer Path to YHS?

uote="Goldie"]If that's true, then law schools didn't look at my GPA either. And no, I wouldn't think you could backdate a class--I was just suggesting that, if you truly had *no* GPA, that it might be worth trying to turn your credits into a second degree with a GPA. Since you have at least some GPA, I think I'd just apply with your current stats, or else retake to try to have an even higher LSAT to cancel out your unconventional GPA situation.[/quote]

Wubbles

Bronze

Postby Wubbles » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:29 am

nicole1994 wrote:Mind sharing your transfer Path to YHS?

uote="Goldie"]If that's true, then law schools didn't look at my GPA either. And no, I wouldn't think you could backdate a class--I was just suggesting that, if you truly had *no* GPA, that it might be worth trying to turn your credits into a second degree with a GPA. Since you have at least some GPA, I think I'd just apply with your current stats, or else retake to try to have an even higher LSAT to cancel out your unconventional GPA situation.
[/quote]
Jfc....

Goldie

Bronze

Postby Goldie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 am

michaeleid811 wrote:What did you get on your LSAT if it is okay for me to ask?

166. (I'm not sure how a non-URM 3.85/166 compares with a URM 3.5/169--that's a question for others.)

nicole1994 wrote:Mind sharing your transfer Path to YHS?

I don't think there was anything unique about my transfer path. I went to a ~T30 school and was #1 in my class after 1L. As far as I know, the schools I applied to transfer to only cared about my law school stats, not my undergrad. I at least didn't say much about my undergrad in my application.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum�