I'm not sure if I have a chance at Cornell and Georgetown or not Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
booknerd

New

I'm not sure if I have a chance at Cornell and Georgetown or not

Post by booknerd » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:50 pm

I'm a black male and I'll probably be applying with a GPA that's between 3.4 and 3.5. I'm not really sure of law schools would take it into consideration, but my grades have gotten better over the course of undergrad. I got two C-'s my freshman year, but since then I haven't gotten any grade below B+. Of course, the two C-'s pull my GPA down. The LSAT score I have right now is 163. I'm only a junior right now and plan to apply senior year, so I can retake it if it's necessary. I'm planning right now to apply early decision to either Georgetown or Cornell and I'm wondering if I have a chance at getting into either or what I can do to increase my chances.

Dcc617

Gold

Re: I'm not sure if I have a chance at Cornell and Georgetown or not

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 am

booknerd wrote:I'm a black male and I'll probably be applying with a GPA that's between 3.4 and 3.5. I'm not really sure of law schools would take it into consideration, but my grades have gotten better over the course of undergrad. I got two C-'s my freshman year, but since then I haven't gotten any grade below B+. Of course, the two C-'s pull my GPA down. The LSAT score I have right now is 163. I'm only a junior right now and plan to apply senior year, so I can retake it if it's necessary. I'm planning right now to apply early decision to either Georgetown or Cornell and I'm wondering if I have a chance at getting into either or what I can do to increase my chances.
What’s the rush? You have unlimited retakes and your whole life. Why not take some time before you go to law school?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: I'm not sure if I have a chance at Cornell and Georgetown or not

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 am

Do you have a 163 LSAT officially, or are you PTing there?

You're an AA URM, which gets generally the biggest boost in admissions. If you are a 163/3.45 (splitting the difference), you'll have a good shot at both schools RD, much less ED. And you'd have a good shot higher than Cornell and Georgetown with those numbers.

But that isn't the end of the calculus. You are young (I assume, considering you're a junior in college), you have time to improve on your LSAT, and you have the ability to go to Cornell or Georgetown for cheap, or you can go to a much higher ranked school for a similar price. If you manage a 170+, barring the USNWR rankings no longer factoring LSAT or equally factoring GRE (or some other recalculation), you could be looking at Chicago, or NYU, or Duke, or [insert stronger placing T13] with a similar or better scholarship.

What is the rush?

Edit: Thanks dcc, scooped on what matters most

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”