AA Male chances? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Thelawsklkidd

New

AA Male chances?

Post by Thelawsklkidd » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:46 pm

So I understand the general notion that I’m in a competitive spot for the general t14, but wondering what you all may think my chances are for HYS? I know softs matter a lot for Yale and Stanford, and think I may have a compelling background.

Stats: 3.8+/166 AA male KJD
Softs:
- spent a summer at fortune 50 legal headquarters in New York.
- Researcher for 6 months under guidance of PhD candidate (did a “substantial” 20pg+ piece of independent research).
- Student educator, advocate and resource for queer students on campus.
- coached a varsity sports team for first two years of college
-lived in Middle East during uprising (all of middle school) and then all of south east Asia in HS before coming stateside for college

I’m wondering if I’m even competitive at my current numbers. Don’t think I’m maxed out on LSAT as I practice much higher, but also not confident I can do significantly better on actual test day. I’m aiming to graduate with a 3.85 or higher.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: AA Male chances?

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Thelawsklkidd wrote:So I understand the general notion that I’m in a competitive spot for the general t14, but wondering what you all may think my chances are for HYS? I know softs matter a lot for Yale and Stanford, and think I may have a compelling background.

Stats: 3.8+/166 AA male KJD
Softs:
- spent a summer at fortune 50 legal headquarters in New York.
- Researcher for 6 months under guidance of PhD candidate (did a “substantial” 20pg+ piece of independent research).
- Student educator, advocate and resource for queer students on campus.
- coached a varsity sports team for first two years of college
-lived in Middle East during uprising (all of middle school) and then all of south east Asia in HS before coming stateside for college

I’m wondering if I’m even competitive at my current numbers. Don’t think I’m maxed out on LSAT as I practice much higher, but also not confident I can do significantly better on actual test day. I’m aiming to graduate with a 3.85 or higher.
I think you're 50/50 at getting at least one, but I think you should retake. It's natural to underperform your first time as nerve run high. If you were practicing higher, the risk-reward favors retaking. You don't even have to study that much. I've had students that prepped in the high 170s working with me underperform on test day with a score in the high 160s retake the test a few months later with light studying (2-3 practice tests a week and no prep), and come back with a top 1% score. I'm sure other tutors have had this experience even if they wouldn't care to admit it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”