AA GRE Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Stillbrazy24

New

AA GRE

Post by Stillbrazy24 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Hey I'm an African American male considering PhD/JD joint programs. I took the GRE and got a 160 Verbal, 157 quant, and 5 writing. ETS says this translates to a 163 LSAT.

Furthermore, I go to an Ivy (not HYP) and have a 4.0. Was just curious what information anyone has on the GRE used for admissions. Has anyone been successful? Is the ETS conversion accurate? If my score is in fact a 163 I feel like I have a shot at Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and Northwestern, the schools I'm applying to with the GRE. Does anyone know? Thanks

albanach

Gold

Re: AA GRE

Post by albanach » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Stillbrazy24 wrote:Hey I'm an African American male considering PhD/JD joint programs. I took the GRE and got a 160 Verbal, 157 quant, and 5 writing. ETS says this translates to a 163 LSAT.

Furthermore, I go to an Ivy (not HYP) and have a 4.0. Was just curious what information anyone has on the GRE used for admissions. Has anyone been successful? Is the ETS conversion accurate? If my score is in fact a 163 I feel like I have a shot at Harvard, Columbia, NYU, and Northwestern, the schools I'm applying to with the GRE. Does anyone know? Thanks
The trouble is there's so little data for someone like you using the LSAT, let alone the GRE that it's hard to speculate. Certainly an AA male with a 4.0 will be competitive many places. But your cycle could be all over the place. MyLSN suggests no dollars from Harvard (might not matter) or Columbia, but potentially large scholarships further down. What are your goals; why the joint degree?

Stillbrazy24

New

Post by Stillbrazy24 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Interested in legal academia as a possibility. I also got fee waivers from every school. I'm very low income and first gen. But how would you know I don't get money? Just curious

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 am

Do you have something against the LSAT? You're a prime candidate to take it in that your GRE verbal is ahead of your quant. Certainly not saying it can't be done right now, as is. It's just that GRE admissions are nebulous. And with, like, a 168 you'd likely be comparing offers from the entirety of the T14 and that's certainly not out of the question for you. Peace of mind, you know?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”