AA Male Splitter T-20 Chances

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
jmjohn26918

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

AA Male Splitter T-20 Chances

Postby jmjohn26918 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:38 pm

AA Male here from Texas state school (Not UT Austin) applying this cycle.

Economics and Political Science double major w/ African American Studies minor
LSAC GPA: 3.07 (This is a result of my own and my fathers medical problems I experienced during college, which I plan to speak on in essays)
LSAT: 166
Softs (weak):
-Lots of internship experience at think tanks, political offices etc.
-Economics Society
-United Black Students
-worked part time my entire time in undergraduate

Chance me for:
Penn
Northwestern
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Wash U
UT Austin
Emory
Notre Dame
USC

Thanks!

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1887
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: AA Male Splitter T-20 Chances

Postby albanach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:40 pm

jmjohn26918 wrote:AA Male here from Texas state school (Not UT Austin) applying this cycle.

Economics and Political Science double major w/ African American Studies minor
LSAC GPA: 3.07 (This is a result of my own and my fathers medical problems I experienced during college, which I plan to speak on in essays)
LSAT: 166
Softs (weak):
-Lots of internship experience at think tanks, political offices etc.
-Economics Society
-United Black Students
-worked part time my entire time in undergraduate

Chance me for:
Penn
Northwestern
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Wash U
UT Austin
Emory
Notre Dame
USC

Thanks!


Be careful with the medical addenda.

As for chances, I think you're unlikely to get T-14 without an LSAT boost. Assuming you're not in state in Virginia or anywhere else that might matter. If you do get T-14 it will likely be at or close to sticker. Probably still worth applying, at least to everywhere below the T6 assuming you an get fee waivers.

Vandy, Wash-U and below are all likely to be in play with decent money available. Remember and use Law School Transparency to compare scholarship offers to total cost of attendance. And also remember that these schools have much more geographically constrained markets and much less access to biglaw, particularly if there's any sort of economic downturn. By next summer we will be in the longest period of economic growth in US history. *

* Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results

jmjohn26918

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: AA Male Splitter T-20 Chances

Postby jmjohn26918 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm

albanach wrote:
jmjohn26918 wrote:AA Male here from Texas state school (Not UT Austin) applying this cycle.

Economics and Political Science double major w/ African American Studies minor
LSAC GPA: 3.07 (This is a result of my own and my fathers medical problems I experienced during college, which I plan to speak on in essays)
LSAT: 166
Softs (weak):
-Lots of internship experience at think tanks, political offices etc.
-Economics Society
-United Black Students
-worked part time my entire time in undergraduate

Chance me for:
Penn
Northwestern
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Wash U
UT Austin
Emory
Notre Dame
USC

Thanks!


Be careful with the medical addenda.

As for chances, I think you're unlikely to get T-14 without an LSAT boost. Assuming you're not in state in Virginia or anywhere else that might matter. If you do get T-14 it will likely be at or close to sticker. Probably still worth applying, at least to everywhere below the T6 assuming you an get fee waivers.

Vandy, Wash-U and below are all likely to be in play with decent money available. Remember and use Law School Transparency to compare scholarship offers to total cost of attendance. And also remember that these schools have much more geographically constrained markets and much less access to biglaw, particularly if there's any sort of economic downturn. By next summer we will be in the longest period of economic growth in US history. *

* Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results


Why do you say be careful with the medical addendum? And as far those schools being geographically constrained, as long as I can get back to Texas I'm fine although I wouldn't mind Atlanta or California either, but according to Notre Dame's website the majority of their Texas students were able to find jobs in the state. Wash U might be really tricky though I'm not sure how well they place in Texas.

dirtynef

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: AA Male Splitter T-20 Chances

Postby dirtynef » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Had a friend with similar stats (3.01, 164) and he swung Michigan with a half scholarship. Got into UVA too. HLS rejected and Columbia waitlisted. Although, he did have a strong UG soft, though middle of the road post grad softs. Let us know how you do!

LSlyfe

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: AA Male Splitter T-20 Chances

Postby LSlyfe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 pm

dirtynef wrote:Had a friend with similar stats (3.01, 164) and he swung Michigan with a half scholarship. Got into UVA too. HLS rejected and Columbia waitlisted. Although, he did have a strong UG soft, though middle of the road post grad softs. Let us know how you do!


Just chiming in to say that I also had low stats (3.2/162) and swung penn($$$$), mich ($), NYU ($$$$) & UVA ($$), with a Columbia WL. My results were spotty in the lower T-14 (Duke/Georgetown etc) but I did perform very well with $$$ at Wash U & Vandy. I also got significant merit and need based aid which helped significantly so you never know. My personal belief is let the schools tell you know and maybe you’ll get surprised by a yes but don’t restrain yourself to the regional schools unless your certain they’ll get you back to Texas should you have a median or lower GPA after 1L.

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1887
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: AA Male Splitter T-20 Chances

Postby albanach » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 pm

I'm coming back to say I was too pessimistic first time round. Trouble is the lack of data for AA splitters with numbers like yours.

I think by stretching out the data points more than I normally would, and given the anecdotal reports from others, you have a decent chance at money in the T-14. Still, I think an LSAT boost would give you more options and more $$$.

I would still avoid dwelling on the medical stuff. Your GPA is above 3.0 and you don't want to appear to be wallowing in self-pity, however serious and justified the actual reasoning. Particularly since you already have a decent LSAT, I think you should focus more on your positives.



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests