AA male seeking advice Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
chun-li

New

AA male seeking advice

Post by chun-li » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:43 pm

About me:
-AA male
-3.5 GPA from Swarthmore
-Two masters degrees from Harvard (5 year dual degree program)(No grades, but mix of HP/P marks)
-Took a course at Harvard Law while in grad school that I really enjoyed (and the professor has already written me a letter of recommendation for a fellowship in the past - not sure if she'd write me one for law school admissions but worth asking).
-Six summers of internship experience (largely public service) and very strong softs, but have only been at my first full-time job for a year (went straight to grad school from undergrad).
-GRE when I applied to grad school in 2013 was 157 (V)/159 (Q)/5 (AW). This converts to a 162 LSAT. (I think I can improve this with studying).
-Definitely aiming for T-14 schools (Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Penn would be my top choices).
-I conceptually enjoy what I pursued in graduate school, but looking ahead, I want to do something that is more policy- and people-focused and eventually go into politics.

General questions:
1. Does GPA and LSAT/GRE scores matter less if you are applying with an advanced degree and work experience? I have seen this posted in various threads, but I'm not certain how true this is. Is my GPA/GRE high enough for T-14 schools as an AA male with advanced degrees?
2. It seems like most admitted OWLs have 5+ years of full-time work experience under their belt. I would only have 1 year of full-time work experience when applying. Is this enough (even with advanced degrees)? I think I can make a strong case for applying even with just that amount, but do admissions offices prefer more for OWL applicants? My concern here is that I may come off as unsure about how I am navigating my career if I apply with only 1 year of full-time work experience. Would I be a stronger candidate if I waited to apply next year or the year after?
3. How much do diversity statements matter? I am a first-gen low-income student who grew up in a single mother household, and this is a big part of why I am considering switching into a career in law - to better serve disadvantaged communities.
4. I enjoy hanging out with people younger than me so entering law school at 28 or older isn't a huge concern to me.

Thank you for any feedback here!

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”