URM 3.98GPA/176 LSAT - YS? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

Should I take a year off?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:54 am

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 6

Pushka

New

URM 3.98GPA/176 LSAT - YS?

Post by Pushka » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:54 am

Hey TLS,

I know I have the numbers for every school I would like to attend, I am not trying to humblebrag. I want to know what I can do to increase my chances of admissions other than just numbers. I have like no softs other than a few clubs that I attended for fun, I just killed my classes with my work ethic of major library procastination and immense amounts of time.

Stats:
3.98 LSAC GPA
176 LSAT (168 -> 176)
MA URM
Bad to mediocre softs
K-JD

So, what do I do now? My stats make me 75th+ at every school in the country - including Stanford and Yale. However, I feel like I do not have a chance. I would prefer not to take a year off. I'll take it as a consideration though.

hoos89

Gold

Re: URM 3.98GPA/176 LSAT - YS?

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:43 am

Eh...you should only take a year off if that's what you want to do. Even if you went and got a job that looked amazing on your resume it wouldn't make you that much better of a candidate than you already are. Your numbers alone make you a virtual lock for Harvard and give you a shot at Yale and Stanford. URM status on top of that means you're probably a lock for Stanford and have a very good shot at Yale.

Ultimately you can always just...apply this year and see what happens. If you don't like the outcome you can always decide then what you want to do. I suspect you'll be okay with the outcome though.

ParisHilton

New

Post by ParisHilton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:47 am

The above-poster understates your chances. Barring any major red flag (criminal conviction, etc.), you are a lock for all three of HYS as a URM with those stats.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:05 pm

ParisHilton wrote:The above-poster understates your chances. Barring any major red flag (criminal conviction, etc.), you are a lock for all three of HYS as a URM with those stats.

I hesitate to call anyone a lock for YLS. Sample size of URMs with comparable stats is extremely small, and of the 9 URM applicants the last 5 cycles on LSN with at least 3.9 and 174, 2 were not admitted, including a 175 / 4.02 who was waitlisted. OP will most likely be admitted but I don't know that any applicant is truly a lock for Yale.

ParisHilton

New

Post by ParisHilton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:43 pm

This is slightly misleading. The 4.02, 175 at least was not a true URM (he specified that he was asian which does not give the bonus that MA or AA would give).

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04 pm

Take a year or two off for life. You’re young, enjoy it. Get some perspective, save some money, live a little. You have law school in the bag in a couple years.

Also, you have a great shot to get full rides at CCN. I don’t know how you’re paying for school but that’s something to think about.

There’s no rush to get life over with. You have time. Don’t feel like you should go to law school right away just because you’re not sure right now what else to do. If anything that means you should wait.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”