Debevoise Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
redmachine

New

Re: Debevoise

Post by redmachine » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:47 pm

OP,

Thanks for your post. More people need to call out biglaw firms for being more or less all-white. However, don't be surprised by the negative feedback. Biglaw's almost all-white nature means you're not preaching to the choir.

Did you make a mistake going to Debevoise? Probably not. This blog has a chart of each law firm's ranking in diversity, measured in two ways. The first is its percentage of minorities it hires. The second is how well it thinks it's doing. Shook Hardy thinks it's the fourth most diverse firm in the world, but in terms of minority hiring it's the 127th most diverse firm. I wouldn't recommend going there. Debevoise did much better. Could still be a racist firm, but better than other options.

http://brian-boyle-omelveny-torture-att ... k-for.html

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:07 pm

My view on the article is that it’s pretty much what I would expect from a law firm. Spinning a patently absurd story about their competence with staff and documents to refute the worse charge of racism.

If I hadn’t worked in biglaw I would be surprised anyone could say that bs with a straight face and expect to be believed.

Mokosc

New

Post by Mokosc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:38 am

Its been radio silence the last two days. Any updates? The TLS article said Debevoise would address the issues this week. Did that happen? Will there be a follow up to the article? I imagine Debevoise wouldn't want that article to be the last word on thing.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:43 am

The article’s way more favorable to Debevoise the firm probably deserves, and further discussion may be less flattering, so I don’t get why they’d rush to say more. (Also very little time has passed.)

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:04 am

nixy wrote:The article’s way more favorable to Debevoise the firm probably deserves, and further discussion may be less flattering, so I don’t get why they’d rush to say more. (Also very little time has passed.)
They would want to deal with this internally and as privately as possible. My guess is no one wants to come forward. The firm has a person to blame and a story that seems all the more plausible because it admits their own incompetence. If I were a client, the admissions on shoddy document management would be concerning.

I agree that hardly any time has passed. This will likely percolate along for a while.

Mokosc

New

Post by Mokosc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:40 am

Npret wrote:
nixy wrote:The article’s way more favorable to Debevoise the firm probably deserves, and further discussion may be less flattering, so I don’t get why they’d rush to say more. (Also very little time has passed.)
They would want to deal with this internally and as privately as possible. My guess is no one wants to come forward. The firm has a person to blame and a story that seems all the more plausible because it admits their own incompetence. If I were a client, the admissions on shoddy document management would be concerning.

I agree that hardly any time has passed. This will likely percolate along for a while.
Sooooooo Debevoise did have a firm-wide meeting. Heard the MP addressed all staff and explained away the list and said staff members need to turn in those creating a bad work environment. Ehhhhh right. Didn't get any more info than that so good job on putting the screws on this story Debevoise.

I hope the black associates are not buying any of this though. Big firms with these type of ingrained discriminatory practices dont change overnight (See eg every big firm that has had diverse associate uprising in the last 15 years). But we're in the MeToo era so what do I know :roll: . If I recall how this goes though, they (firm leadership) will lull you into foolish comfort with updates to their policies and procedures, retrainings (gotta love those), meetings, and even requests for time to implement more changes that wont' happen. Yanno what will happen though? Time will pass by and by the time you guys can unify to raise the alarm, half of the current roster will be already be gone. You heard it here first.

Belkin0238

New

Post by Belkin0238 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 am

Mokosc wrote:
Npret wrote:

Sooooooo Debevoise did have a firm-wide meeting. Heard the MP addressed all staff and explained away the list and said staff members need to turn in those creating a bad work environment. Ehhhhh right. Didn't get any more info than that so good job on putting the screws on this story Debevoise.

I hope the black associates are not buying any of this though. Big firms with these type of ingrained discriminatory practices dont change overnight (See eg every big firm that has had diverse associate uprising in the last 15 years). But we're in the MeToo era so what do I know :roll: . If I recall how this goes though, they (firm leadership) will lull you into foolish comfort with updates to their policies and procedures, retrainings (gotta love those), meetings, and even requests for time to implement more changes that wont' happen. Yanno what will happen though? Time will pass by and by the time you guys can unify to raise the alarm, half of the current roster will be already be gone. You heard it here first.
I dont agree with your statement that changes wont happen. There could be slight gains. My own ambivalence goes to the idea that new measures will not address problem partners, still at the firm, who will basically hide within the partnership, go undetected, and continue their bad behavior as soon as the heat dies down. It might very well be years before a scandal breaks out that brings these issues out into the open again. They need to address these people, incuding any associates in the senior ranks who are just as problematic. And its for that reason that I do see the upside to keeping the magnifying glass on Debevoise.

Hoping for the best that this gets resolved and life at Debevoise is endurable for ALL associates.

Mokosc

New

Post by Mokosc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 am

Belkin0238 wrote:
Mokosc wrote:
Npret wrote:

I dont agree with your statement that changes wont happen. There could be slight gains. My own ambivalence goes to the idea that new measures will not address problem partners, still at the firm, who will basically hide within the partnership, go undetected, and continue their bad behavior as soon as the heat dies down. It might very well be years before a scandal breaks out that brings these issues out into the open again. They need to address these people, incuding any associates in the senior ranks who are just as problematic. And its for that reason that I do see the upside to keeping the magnifying glass on Debevoise.

Hoping for the best that this gets resolved and life at Debevoise is endurable for ALL associates.
HUH?? If there are known partners and you are in possession of real life accounts YOU need to out these people or encourage associates that you know to do so. No way the firm wants that mess on its plate if its known or gets out. You're a former associate right? Whats with the fence riding. Your posts continue to read like "Yes you have bad apples but no leave Debevoise alone". You can't leave Debevoise alone if there are bad apples. :roll: :roll: And we're not talking about the big meanies right? Because those folks are part and parcel of every firm. We're staying on topic that these are partners or senior level folks with real, clearly articulable issues when it comes to lawyers of color and you have the stories to back up your claims. Let me know when Im coming undone here. Still on track? Ok good - listen, the only real "positive" way to move on is to get the word out about these poeple. Let the investigation take its course and start the healing. Its the only way. Otherwise you are just going to be the part of the reason why "it might very well be years before a scandal breaks out that brings these issues out into the open again". HUMMPF! :?

Belkin0238

New

Post by Belkin0238 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:51 am

Mokosc wrote:
Belkin0238 wrote:
Mokosc wrote:
Npret wrote:

HUH?? If there are known partners and you are in possession of real life accounts YOU need to out these people or encourage associates that you know to do so. No way the firm wants that mess on its plate if its known or gets out. You're a former associate right? Whats with the fence riding. Your posts continue to read like "Yes you have bad apples but no leave Debevoise alone". You can't leave Debevoise alone if there are bad apples. :roll: :roll: And we're not talking about the big meanies right? Because those folks are part and parcel of every firm. We're staying on topic that these are partners or senior level folks with real, clearly articulable issues when it comes to lawyers of color and you have the stories to back up your claims. Let me know when Im coming undone here. Still on track? Ok good - listen, the only real "positive" way to move on is to get the word out about these poeple. Let the investigation take its course and start the healing. Its the only way. Otherwise you are just going to be the part of the reason why "it might very well be years before a scandal breaks out that brings these issues out into the open again". HUMMPF! :?
It's easy to talk that way when you don't have any connections to the place or care about the associates who will live through the nightmare of having targets on their backs. That is why it would be best for the firm to flush these people out through an internal investigation. Enough complaints have been made over the years.

Mokosc

New

Post by Mokosc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:10 am

Belkin0238 wrote:
Mokosc wrote:
Belkin0238 wrote:
Mokosc wrote:
Npret wrote:

It's easy to talk that way when you don't have any connections to the place or care about the associates who will live through the nightmare of having targets on their backs. That is why it would be best for the firm to flush these people out through an internal investigation. Enough complaints have been made over the years.
Flush them out through an internal investigation because YOU think they've been enough complaints over the years? ROFL.I think its time to take your ball and go home. Nothing more to see here.

Goran

New

Post by Goran » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am

Mokosc wrote:
Belkin0238 wrote:
Mokosc wrote:
Npret wrote:

I remember two lit partners at Debevoise were a bit loose with their use of colorful language while addressing AA associates. The male partner parted ways with the firm, or maybe it was the other way around, some years back but doubtful it was over an issue like racial discrimination. The female lit partner is known for casually dropping the N word in safe spaces but screwed up bigly by doing one day while in a room with another analyst, an associate, and bingo, an African American associate. Said partner was mortified and apologized right away and then followed up with the AA associate to make sure they were good. Dont know if the AA associate actually reported. The partner is still at the firm, mind you, long after the rest of us have left. So there's that. Doesn't mean anything will actually happen so might want to ease up on crusader chronicles.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:43 am

Goran wrote: The female lit partner is known for casually dropping the N word in safe spaces but screwed up bigly by doing one day while in a room with another analyst, an associate, and bingo, an African American associate. The partner is still at the firm.
Uhm what?

Belkin0238

New

Post by Belkin0238 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
Goran wrote: The female lit partner is known for casually dropping the N word in safe spaces but screwed up bigly by doing one day while in a room with another analyst, an associate, and bingo, an African American associate. The partner is still at the firm.
Uhm what?
It happened. But its "water under the bridge". She apologized and the associate accepted the apology instead of making a bigger deal of it. She's definitely one of the rotten apples that come to mind. Might be the worst of the bunch actually. But she carries a big book of business and a bigger obnoxious laugh that she uses to defuse situations. :|

Mokosc

New

Post by Mokosc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Belkin0238 wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
Uhm what?
It happened. But its "water under the bridge". She apologized and the associate accepted the apology instead of making a bigger deal of it. She's definitely one of the rotten apples that come to mind. Might be the worst of the bunch actually. But she carries a big book of business and a bigger obnoxious laugh that she uses to defuse situations. :|
$hit just got real. Said partner wouldn't be a former AUSA in the lower part of Manhattan would she? :roll: How sad that "casually" was my tipoff HMPFF! If its her then she tried some cases alongside one of my older siblings who told me some crazy war stories about her. Hell of a lawyer but she has issues.

I would drop a dime on her to the firm if I was a Debevoise associate. I don't think I have standing. There's no statute of limitations on $hit like this so no its not water under the bridge. Am-I-right TLS?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:00 pm

So you’d contact Debevoise to say you heard from an anonymous poster online that this person dropped the n-word? How do you think that would go?

(Which isn’t meant to minimize the awfulness of any of this.)

Otavia81

New

Post by Otavia81 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:13 pm

Not to start anything, but...

I think whoever wrote the first post is the same guy/girl behind Goran and Moskosk.

Same way of writing.

Mokosc

New

Post by Mokosc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Otavia81 wrote:Not to start anything, but...

I think whoever wrote the first post is the same guy/girl behind Goran and Moskosk.

Same way of writing.
You wish! Your first post on these forums. Clearly a troll. Gotta come better than that.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Tbh it's pretty weird that you came outta nowhere and got really into this thread. Also yeah you seem to like block text, just like OP.

redmachine

New

Post by redmachine » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Goran wrote:The female lit partner is known for casually dropping the N word in safe spaces but screwed up bigly by doing one day while in a room with another analyst, an associate, and bingo, an African American associate. Said partner was mortified and apologized right away and then followed up with the AA associate to make sure they were good.
I don't know what's more insulting, the use of that word or the "oops you caught me being myself" apology.

Otavia81

New

Post by Otavia81 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Mokosc wrote:

Same way of writing.
You wish! Your first post on these forums. Clearly a troll. Gotta come better than that.
“Bigly”...unusual word.

Plus, you and your aliases are too invested.

Don’t know what your motives are. Maybe Debevoise deserves this.

Just saying.

Otavia81

New

Post by Otavia81 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Goran wrote: Debevoise is not the only big firm that has these issues with race\diversity. But firms don't wear the racism on their faces and a black associate won't have hard evidence that it exists. You might see it in the treatment of AA lawyers but you never really have a smoking gun to show an employment lawyer. If this blacklist exists and shows that the issue at Debevoise is actually institutional then they messed up bigly by letting that list get out.
Goran says Bigly.

TLSposter1990

New

Post by TLSposter1990 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Same way of writing.
I was actually beginning to think the same thing. At the very least, basically half of this thread's posts have come from Moskosk, who just keeps making assumptions and spinning conspiracy theories based off the OP. And despite no actual connection to the firm, he's 100% sure what happened and has his pitchfork firmly in hand.

Since no one from Debevoise actually addressed the firm's town-hall meeting yet (only Moskosk who probably heard about it from a friend of a friend and anyway had his/her opinion formed beforehand on how it went): I was at the meeting. The MP expressed management's embarrassment over the situation. He explained what the list actually was, which is basically what Above The Law wrote in it’s article. He admitted that the 2017 list (which is the one that was leaked) had an unusually high number of AA associates on it, but that the same list from 2016 and 2015 had no AAs on it at all, indicating the 2017 AA count was certainly not intentional or part of any pattern. I think the vast majority of people in the room felt it was genuine and took him at his word. Regarding AA retention, MP took some tough questions from the crowd and admitted that it’s unfortunately the weakest part of the firm’s diversity efforts, but that they have been working hard to change this. He highlighted certain improvements over the last 5-7 years and expressed a commitment to continue working to improve minority growth and development even further. He didn’t answer every question as completely as people probably would have liked, but it was a decent and honest showing on the firm’s behalf.

Otavia81

New

Post by Otavia81 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Belkin0238 wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
Uhm what?
This “new” person immediately knows what Goran is talking about.

What are the odds:

1 - two completely unrelated people

2 - knowing about a really weird incident at one firm

3 - being on the same site within minutes

4 - and having similar writing style

Otavia81

New

Post by Otavia81 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:02 pm

I’m no genius, but I pick up on voice

A lot of the “new” people in this thread have the same voice.

Gotta go soon, but a few examples:

1 - “Ok so”
Goran wrote:
Ok so what's wrong
Mokosc wrote: Ok so we now have a Debevoise associate
2 - Quotation marks to emphasize random words
Goran wrote: If it "pales" in comparison then you have a problem there.
Belkin0238 wrote:But you can "subtly" deny them opportunities for growth that will also make them formidable when promotions come around.
thisisvridic wrote: And while I think the black list is terrible, examples of black associates getting "worse" work than their white counterparts are just as harrowing.
3 - Repeating words and letters in a songy way
Goran wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa. I commend TLS for not deleting this thread.

Hmmmm no.

Yuppp.
Mokosc wrote: RRRRRIGHT.

Wink wink

Sooooooo Debevoise did have a firm-wide meeting.

Ehhhhh right.

Otavia81

New

Post by Otavia81 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:12 pm

TLSposter1990 wrote:

Same way of writing.
I was actually beginning to think the same thing. At the very least, basically half of this thread's posts have come from Moskosk, who just keeps making assumptions and spinning conspiracy theories based off the OP. And despite no actual connection to the firm, he's 100% sure what happened and has his pitchfork firmly in hand.

Since no one from Debevoise actually addressed the firm's town-hall meeting yet (only Moskosk who probably heard about it from a friend of a friend and anyway had his/her opinion formed beforehand on how it went): I was at the meeting. The MP expressed management's embarrassment over the situation. He explained what the list actually was, which is basically what Above The Law wrote in it’s article. He admitted that the 2017 list (which is the one that was leaked) had an unusually high number of AA associates on it, but that the same list from 2016 and 2015 had no AAs on it at all, indicating the 2017 AA count was certainly not intentional or part of any pattern. I think the vast majority of people in the room felt it was genuine and took him at his word. Regarding AA retention, MP took some tough questions from the crowd and admitted that it’s unfortunately the weakest part of the firm’s diversity efforts, but that they have been working hard to change this. He highlighted certain improvements over the last 5-7 years and expressed a commitment to continue working to improve minority growth and development even further. He didn’t answer every question as completely as people probably would have liked, but it was a decent and honest showing on the firm’s behalf.
Here we go.

Another “new” person who likes to write in long blocks and has the same voice as the other kooky people agreeing with each other.

As a student who really needs help, I was believing this thread and freaking out.

I don’t know who this firm pissed off...but I think somebody there who is going to all these meetings is writing all this stuff. This is some kind of payback.

Do moderators out people here?

I bet the IPs and locations for at least 5 people in this thread are the same.

It is really shitty to do this to people, OP/Goran/Lukash/Moskosk/Belkin.

I made an account just to say this because real people make real choices based on this site. Somebody here is using us for personal bullshit.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”