Is LGBT considered URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
t14orbust22

New

Is LGBT considered URM?

Post by t14orbust22 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:36 am

While I am "out" in the sense that if someone asks about my sexuality I will tell them, I don't really like to advertise my sexuality, especially in a work setting or school setting where it shouldn't really matter and may effect the way some people, whether fairly or not will judge my character or my work. I noticed LSAC recently updated their demographic information to include sexual orientation and so far I've selected "prefer not to disclose".

For the purposes of applying to law school, would disclosing that I am LGBT really give me any kind of "edge" even if it is a small one? Are LGBT people really an "under-represented minority" in law school? I see no reason to believe the numbers in law school would be much different than in the population at large.

Synapse2018

New

Re: Is LGBT considered URM?

Post by Synapse2018 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:50 am

No. LGBT is not considered URM for admissions. Only African-American/Mexican-American and possibly Puerto Rican are considered URM for law school admissions purposes. A good diversity statement may help your cause, but you won't get the bump people generally associate with URM.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:05 am

Synapse2018 wrote:No. LGBT is not considered URM for admissions. Only African-American/Mexican-American and possibly Puerto Rican are considered URM for law school admissions purposes. A good diversity statement may help your cause, but you won't get the bump people generally associate with URM.
Also Native American, I believe. LGBT is a soft factor at best, though.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 am

t14orbust22 wrote:While I am "out" in the sense that if someone asks about my sexuality I will tell them, I don't really like to advertise my sexuality, especially in a work setting or school setting where it shouldn't really matter and may effect the way some people, whether fairly or not will judge my character or my work. I noticed LSAC recently updated their demographic information to include sexual orientation and so far I've selected "prefer not to disclose".

For the purposes of applying to law school, would disclosing that I am LGBT really give me any kind of "edge" even if it is a small one? Are LGBT people really an "under-represented minority" in law school? I see no reason to believe the numbers in law school would be much different than in the population at large.
CUNY Law School in NYC has a large LGBT population. I'm not sure about an actual bump, but it'll definitely help your cause if you apply there.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm

L_William_W wrote:
CUNY Law School in NYC has a large LGBT population. I'm not sure about an actual bump, but it'll definitely help your cause if you apply there.
But why would OP want to go to a school that didn't place a single student in a firm larger than 10 attorneys in c/o 2017?

Belkin0238

New

Post by Belkin0238 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:15 am

hoos89 wrote:
L_William_W wrote:
But why would OP want to go to a school that didn't place a single student in a firm larger than 10 attorneys in c/o 2017?
Ouch!

jbird18

New

Post by jbird18 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:52 am

Hmmmm interesting question.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”