AA Female 3.88 GPA 169 LSAT in at T14? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sierrarox101

New

AA Female 3.88 GPA 169 LSAT in at T14?

Post by sierrarox101 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:27 am

Hello everyone! I greatly appreciate any input, advice, or opinions that you have.

I have recently discovered my passion for and interest in obtaining a legal education. I am an African American female, rising senior and anthropology major at a Top 20 university. I have a 3.88 LSAC GPA and a 169 LSAT (although I am planning on re-taking it).

-I am producing an honors thesis, and have been a research assistant all 3 years of undergrad so far.
-I have given 2 conference presentations and I am the co-author of a published peer-reviewed paper
-I am heavily involved in leadership positions in 2 clubs including the production of an event to serve 5,000 homeless people. I'm a member of 1 more club.
-I have worked throughout the school year the past 3 years as well
-This summer I am working as a policy intern for a local nonprofit and an assistant at a big law firm, with the assistant position extending into the school year
-Letters of rec: 1 from the policy nonprofit organization & 1 from either the professor who is the advisor for my honors thesis (who is very well known in his field, he studies the anthropology of law) or the professor who I co-wrote the published paper with. I'm sure they will be high quality.
-Personal Statement: Pretty unique as I have a pretty interesting reason for wanting to go to law school and I plan to write diversity statements as well.
-I do not plan on taking time off as I am very driven and sure of what I would like to do.

Because my LSAT score is lower than I would like, I was wondering if I still have a shot at getting in with scholarships at T-14 schools as I would like to take out few loans as possible.

Thank you in advance!

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: AA Female 3.88 GPA 169 LSAT in at T14?

Post by L_William_W » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:34 pm

You can practically walk into Columbia and NYU with those stats

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:13 am

You will get in to every T14 except possibly not Yale (but you may get in there as well). Congratulations!

metprez52

New

Post by metprez52 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 am

Not just NYU and Colombia, you could walk into Harvard with those stats. Everyone will give you money too. Just finish college strong and apply to law schools early. You could have your acceptances out of the way by Christmas since admissions are rolling. As everyone else said, congrats.

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am

I know of students accepted to most of the T14 including Harvard with lower LSAT scores (not sure about Yale). Congrats on your score and GPA. Your decision will likely come down to whether you'll want to attend a T14 that throws more money at you or if you are willing to take on loans for Harvard since they only give some need-based aid

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”