Personal Statement v. Diversity Statement Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Abwap030466

New

Personal Statement v. Diversity Statement

Post by Abwap030466 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi all!

I’ve recently been drafting my personal and diversity statements for the upcoming cycle. I’ve read/heard that a personal statement should touch upon why you want to attend law school. Mine currently doesn’t really address that (it’s more about a character trait that I have that I think would make me successful at law school), BUT my diversity statement does discuss why I want to go to law school.

Is that ok? Would it be better to include the “why law school” piece in my personal statement rather than in my diversity statement?

Any and all viewpoints welcome!

Thanks!

Synapse2018

New

Re: Personal Statement v. Diversity Statement

Post by Synapse2018 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm no expert but from what I understand, the PS should be 2 parts: 1) your story - you need to show individuality and have the admissions officer who is reading it feel like you add something unique to the class that they can't get without you without sounding like you're bragging. 2) it needs to show very clearly why you want to go to law school and why you would succeed in law school. The reader should walk away feeling like they know you personally.

the DS should speak about what you've had to overcome because of racial or gender identity or anything else of that nature and you should touch upon unique attributes/experiences you bring to the class.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”