Slim chances but shooting my shot anyway Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
edg2019

New

Slim chances but shooting my shot anyway

Post by edg2019 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:56 am

Very interested in hearing opinions on my chances of success. First things first, my UG GPA is horrific (2.2) :? ...I graduated (barely) in 2002 with a BS in Software Engineering and immediately got a dose of real life when I was involuntarily called to military active duty, post 9/11 build up. Bitter but unbroken I was encouraged to take advantage of my opportunities instead of taking them for granted and ended up getting an associates and an MBA (3.25 gpa) by the end of 2005. I have since worked in the military IT/Cyber world for approximately 15 years (eventually being commissioned as an officer in the Air Force) and now have the longing to pursue Intellectual Property Law in a effort to help bridge the widening knowledge gap between the legal and IT communities. I hold multiple high level IT industry certifications (CISSP, CCNA, PMP, GCIH, etc.) and even started my own consulting company back in 2015. My goal is to utilize my in demand skills and work history to my advantage withinin the legal arena and provide niche services with respect to information technology. What is the outlook on my acceptance and/or success in law school? GI Bill and Hazelwood would defer costs....

Hards: 2.2 UG GPA; 150 lsat (took with minimum to no studying but retaking in June) Softs: URM with extensive and successfull work history (military and civilian); MBA; Disabled Vet; extensive social/volunteer activities;

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: Slim chances but shooting my shot anyway

Post by L_William_W » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Get your LSAT up to 160 and write a kick ass personal statement which reflects on your trials and tribulations and a halfway decent law school will take you.

edg2019

New

Re: Slim chances but shooting my shot anyway

Post by edg2019 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks @L_William_W! i'm gunning for it!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”