Chance Me Pls! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
HarveySpecs

New

Chance Me Pls!

Post by HarveySpecs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Hey guys, I am an AA male, and thankfully, I've taken the LSAT and I received a 159. I have a 3.27 GPA as determined by LSAC. I was hoping that I could get you guys' thoughts on what I should expect. I have received a lot of fee waivers from pretty good schools, but I realize that a fee waiver does not translate to an acceptance. I was also wondering if it would be worth it to register for the June administration of the LSAT and try to make a serious jump by paying for private tutoring with PowerScore. I also wanted you guys' thoughts on whether I should add an addenda if I did take it to explain the score increase.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Chance Me Pls!

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:13 pm

You should def retake. 10-15 more questions right and you are looking at t13 with $$$$

bosshawg

New

Post by bosshawg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You should def retake. 10-15 more questions right and you are looking at t13 with $$$$
Last edited by bosshawg on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

HarveySpecs

New

Post by HarveySpecs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks. I hate having to take it again though. I hope the private tutoring does the trick.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm

bosshawg wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:You should def retake. 10-15 more questions right and you are looking at t13 with $$$$
Unfortunately with a 3.27 a t13 with $$$$ is probably not in the cards, but you should definitely retake and write an addendum if the results are drastically different.
Not necessarily. OP is an AA, and if OP gets a 170+, then even with the 3.2, I can see a school like Cornell or NW or Michigan throwing some money OP's way. Maybe not a full ride, but will get something. Of course this requires something around a 170. And I might have added too many dollar signs. More specifically, OP could get $-$$.

HarveySpecs

New

Post by HarveySpecs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Where would I get acceptances now with my scores and how much money could I expect?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 pm

HarveySpecs wrote:Where would I get acceptances now with my scores and how much money could I expect?
Nowhere even worth applying to be truthful. You should just focus on retaking and applying next cycle. It is already late in this cycle to apply and expect much.

bosshawg

New

Post by bosshawg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 pm

HarveySpecs wrote:Where would I get acceptances now with my scores and how much money could I expect?
Play around with this site http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/

Your question is too broad without knowing your goals, desired region etc. Depending on your goals I do agree with sparkytrainer that you should really focus on upping that lsat and shoot for a t13 or school just outside.
Last edited by bosshawg on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm

bosshawg wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
bosshawg wrote:
Unfortunately with a 3.27 a t13 with $$$$ is probably not in the cards, but you should definitely retake and write an addendum if the results are drastically different.
Not necessarily. OP is an AA, and if OP gets a 170+, then even with the 3.2, I can see a school like Cornell or NW or Michigan throwing some money OP's way. Maybe not a full ride, but will get something. Of course this requires something around a 170. And I might have added too many dollar signs. More specifically, OP could get $-$$.
Agreed.
also don't quote
Last edited by principalagent on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trafalgar

New

Post by trafalgar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:03 pm

I have the same GPA and my first take was also a 159.. You should definitely retake. If youre not in a rush to apply this cycle I think its a no brainer. Based off MyLSN you might get a T20 acceptance or two this cycle, and good money for some strong regional schools, but if your aiming for T13, even 2-3 points higher can make a huge difference.

bosshawg

New

Post by bosshawg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
bosshawg wrote:

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”