2017-2018 SEO Law Fellowship Applicants Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Prudence

New

2017-2018 SEO Law Fellowship Applicants

Post by Prudence » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Hey Guys! After posting in the URM applicants thread I decided to make a thread in anticipation for interviews coming this month!

Check in if you’re applying this cycle! Good Luck All!

All applicants must have:

Graduated from or be graduating from an accredited, four-year, U.S. college or university, or foreign equivalent.
Taken the LSAT and plan to attend law school in the U.S. starting in the fall of the year in which they plan to do the internship (e.g., only students starting law school in the fall of 2018 are eligible for the internship program during the summer of 2018).
A 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA.
International students are not eligible for SEO law internships

Got the following from last years thread and it will be updated over time:
brinicolec wrote:Sites recommended for SEO partners research prior to interview:
http://www.chambers-associate.com/home
http://www.nalpdirectory.com/
*Above the Law also has a law firm directory*

Basic interview info.
Length of interview seems to vary (shorter of times being around 15-20 minutes)
Not a "stress interview" (unlike previous years) -- some who have interviewed report it being somewhat tense, but that wasn't my experience
Conducted via Skype (I don't think they do in-person anymore)
Know their firms
No case reading
Time between application submission and interview request is ~ 2 weeks according to most applicants

Basic SEO info (website, some program details, etc.)
http://seolaw.org/
10-week-long fellowship (First two weeks are more educational, take place in NYC; next eight weeks take place at whatever firm you're placed at)
Majority of placement is in NYC, followed by DC; most other placement is just a couple people
Housing is NOT provided (except the two weeks in NYC for people who aren't placed in at a NYC firm)
$$$ = up to $1500/wk
Placement is highly-dependent on what the firm is asking for (they give list of schools they prefer) HENCE seat deposit is a MUST before they can place you
For anyone who is trying to negotiate schollies and thus, hasn't submitted a seat deposit by the deadline, LET SEO KNOW
Resume MUST be ONLY one page!
Important dates to remember
Scholarship essay deadline: March 5, 2018
(Scholarship has an essay, a required minimum lsat of 155 and min gpa of 3.5)
Application deadline: March 5, 2018
Interviews: scheduled starting January 2018
Proof of enrollment (aka seat deposit): no later than April 30, 2018
SEO admissions decisions: April 30, 2018
Program start date: May 20, 2018

Last year’s thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... it=Seo+law

Advice from a 2017 SEO Alum:
charlie90 wrote:Congrats on all of your interviews!

I mentioned this to a couple of people through DMs but just a couple of things:
- $1100-1500 salary is on some pay scale that is completely the discretion of law firms. There was an anecdote going around that if you're one of the few SEOs at a firm (looking at TX, OH, and CA people), you're probably going to be making that full amount. No idea if this is true or not. If finances are a concern, you can ask SEO for a short-time loan if necessary and SEO did give out three scholarships at the end of our SEO network, get a SEO mentor who will tell you how to email people, and it'll help you out job-wise as a 1L.
- If you are concerned about $ (completely understandable), once again... Perhaps try choosing cities close to/where you will be going to school. No matter what you decide to do, its probably going to be chaotic. Some firms may help you "travel" to the city (e.g. you're a HYS student that will be a SEO Fellow in NYC) and most firms will cover your time spent during SEO's NYC institute. (Again, completely at firm discretion). I know there would be people who would want to disagree with me, but I would be willing to take out a loan to make it work for a short term summer. If someone had told me that a year ago I probably would have thought they were crazy, but seriously. SEO is not really about the money but the number of doors that will open once you say you're SEO (especially in NYC) or that you "clerked at insert Big Law firm" before 1L.
- As much as SEO Law does, it's a very small team that is putting this on. No one can say with confidence how many people are interviewed but chances are, you have a good chance to get in if you are being invited to interview. Just don't be weird and have rational answers to questions.
If you want me to add anything as OP, let me know!
Last edited by Prudence on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Silver

Re: 2017-2018 SEO Law Fellowship Applicants

Post by AvatarMeelo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

I might be messing this up but the fellowship part doesn’t have a LSAT/GPA requirement I think?

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:I might be messing this up but the fellowship part doesn’t have a LSAT/GPA requirement I think?
Edit: theres a min gpa of 3.0 cum and you have to have taken the lsat. Although from what i gathered there is a kind of implied requirement for fellows to be attending T-14s or strong state/regional schools by their partner firms so in a way those schools require a certain lsat/gpa combo
Last edited by Prudence on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 pm

Prudence wrote:
AvatarMeelo wrote:I might be messing this up but the fellowship part doesn’t have a LSAT/GPA requirement I think?
No as far as I know. I have never seen that as requirement anywhere. Although from what i gathered there is a kind of implied requirement for fellows to be attending T-14s or strong state/regional schools by their partner firms so in a way those schools require a certain lsat/gpa combo
I’m pretty sure there is a 3.0 cut off.

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:05 am

AaronCarter wrote:
Prudence wrote:
No as far as I know. I have never seen that as requirement anywhere. Although from what i gathered there is a kind of implied requirement for fellows to be attending T-14s or strong state/regional schools by their partner firms so in a way those schools require a certain lsat/gpa combo
I’m pretty sure there is a 3.0 cut off.
Yep there definitely is! 3.0 cumulative gpa minimum. I have a 3.8 so tbh I never even checked for gpa requirements.

Here’s SEO Law’s faq with this information: http://www.seolaw.org/apply/faqs2/

LawShopeful

New

Post by LawShopeful » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Checking in! I applied this cycle but haven’t gotten an interview request

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Checking in!

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 pm

Checking in. What markets are you all most interested in?

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 am

Aspire wrote:Checking in. What markets are you all most interested in?
I really want DC (even though i have no ties) since I am from NYC but I kinda want to get away from nyc life since im so accustomed to it

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 am

Prudence wrote:
I really want DC (even though i have no ties) since I am from NYC but I kinda want to get away from nyc life since im so accustomed to it
I put NYC as number 1 and LA as number 2. I wanted to put LA first, but they only have 2 partner firms there so I thought that might decrease my odds a lot. Do your chances vary depending on which markets you put first?

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:42 am

Aspire wrote:
Prudence wrote:
I put NYC as number 1 and LA as number 2. I wanted to put LA first, but they only have 2 partner firms there so I thought that might decrease my odds a lot. Do your chances vary depending on which markets you put first?
Also curious about this

heylookitsthatguy

New

Post by heylookitsthatguy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm

Not a current applicant but was wondering does anyone know if the GPA requirement is the LSAC GPA or your University's GPA?

Good luck everyone!

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:21 pm

heylookitsthatguy wrote:Not a current applicant but was wondering does anyone know if the GPA requirement is the LSAC GPA or your University's GPA?

Good luck everyone!
The application asked for “Cumulative Undergrad GPA” and you have to upload unofficial transcripts from all of your institutions rather than lsac’s CAS or academic summary and I know they request your ugrad transcript at the end/for their decision to verify you graduated so my guess is university gpa since that would be your Cumulative Undergrad GPA. That’s what I provided at least but my lsac and ugrad gpa’s were the same.

Anyone who went to 2+ institutions provided the lsac gpa instead?

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Found this article: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/liti ... e-law.html

Here’s the breakdown of the 2017 class that could be useful to the most neurotic of us:
This year’s fellows will be attending 17 different law schools: Harvard Law School (22), Columbia Law School (19), New York University School of Law (8), University of Chicago Law School (7), Yale Law School (7), Stanford Law School (5), University of California–Berkeley School of Law (5), Cornell Law School (4), Georgetown Law School (4), University of Pennsylvania Law School (3), University of Michigan Law School (3), Duke Law School (3), University of Texas School of Law (3), University of Virginia School of Law (3), Fordham Law School (2), USC Gould School of Law (1), Northwestern Law School (1).

ChiaOut

New

Post by ChiaOut » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Prudence wrote:
heylookitsthatguy wrote:Not a current applicant but was wondering does anyone know if the GPA requirement is the LSAC GPA or your University's GPA?

Good luck everyone!
The application asked for “Cumulative Undergrad GPA” and you have to upload unofficial transcripts from all of your institutions rather than lsac’s CAS or academic summary and I know they request your ugrad transcript at the end/for their decision to verify you graduated so my guess is university gpa since that would be your Cumulative Undergrad GPA. That’s what I provided at least but my lsac and ugrad gpa’s were the same.

I put the GPA that I Graduated with. But in the application it did ask for LSAC Gpa.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:Found this article: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/liti ... e-law.html

Here’s the breakdown of the 2017 class that could be useful to the most neurotic of us:
This year’s fellows will be attending 17 different law schools: Harvard Law School (22), Columbia Law School (19), New York University School of Law (8), University of Chicago Law School (7), Yale Law School (7), Stanford Law School (5), University of California–Berkeley School of Law (5), Cornell Law School (4), Georgetown Law School (4), University of Pennsylvania Law School (3), University of Michigan Law School (3), Duke Law School (3), University of Texas School of Law (3), University of Virginia School of Law (3), Fordham Law School (2), USC Gould School of Law (1), Northwestern Law School (1).

Wowwww

Looking at UChi specifically. Their 1L class only had a total of 9 black people (they were all women). It is possible that the only ones selected were black women from Uchi.
Last edited by AaronCarter on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:43 pm

I'm interested in doing this!

Hoping I don't get waitlisted by every school as that seems to cause issues with app decisions for this, but I will be looking more into this as it seems like a great opportunity!

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:49 pm

ChiaOut wrote:
Prudence wrote:

Good luck everyone!

I put the GPA that I Graduated with. But in the application it did ask for LSAC Gpa.
Okay in that case i wonder whether someone would be eligible for sel if their lsac gpa was sub 3.0 since we have to provide both our lsac gpa and our cumulative ugrad gpa on the app ? I mean we are uploading our University transcript rather than the lsac academic summary?

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Prudence wrote:
ChiaOut wrote:
Prudence wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Okay in that case i wonder whether someone would be eligible for sel if their lsac gpa was sub 3.0 since we have to provide both our lsac gpa and our cumulative ugrad gpa on the app ? I mean we are uploading our University transcript rather than the lsac academic summary?
I can confirm that you need to upload both the LSAC GPA and your regular college cumulative GPA, but I'm not sure which one they use to determine eligibility.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 pm

AaronCarter wrote:Looking at UChi specifically. Their 1L class only had a total of 9 black people (they were all women).
Not to thread hijack but yikes

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm

principalagent wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:Looking at UChi specifically. Their 1L class only had a total of 9 black people (they were all women).
Honestly was shocked at this figure too...

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:41 am

Checking in! What did you guys put for law school on the resume? The most likely one you'd attend? I'm pretty sure I know where I'm going but haven't deposited yet so idk

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:43 am

Prudence wrote:
principalagent wrote:
Honestly was shocked at this figure too...

Yikes af.....but if they accept me, i'll become a mega UChi fan haha

I wonder if it's an issue of blacks not applying or simply not attending when accepted or just not being admitted for the most part.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:27 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:Checking in! What did you guys put for law school on the resume? The most likely one you'd attend? I'm pretty sure I know where I'm going but haven't deposited yet so idk
I skipped that part. I assumed they didn’t intend for us to fill out what we don’t know.
AaronCarter wrote:I wonder if it's an issue of blacks not applying or simply not attending when accepted or just not being admitted for the most part.
Probably all three honestly.

selmangh

New

Post by selmangh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Has anyone gotten an interview request yet?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”