So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Jimlaw123

New
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby Jimlaw123 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:15 pm

So, I won't be allowed to take my lsat tomorrow, due to " photo violation", I got an email from LSAC. I made a bad assumption and uploaded a photo, that I assumed they'd make us " buy a photo", or just use it as you can clearly see my mug... nope.

Got nothng about it, until last night... so, there goes 4-5 months of studying, for this cycle.. don't know what to do... I'm starting to think god or someone doesn't want me to do this.. something always happens. This mishap, thought nothing of it, now they have a " new policy", that's " ironclad", etc...

Point being my family is going to go crazy.. Mu lsat score wouldn't have been " off the wall", but better than last time...

What do I do? I'm not even angry anymore.. just broken.

Do I take the february test? Or just apply again with my old score? This.. this is too much for me right now... any help, is greatly appreciated.. I need it.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby runinthefront » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Just keep studying. Look at it this way: you now have an additional three months to raise your score. This could be (read: it probably is) a blessing in disguise!

I wouldn’t apply with your old score. There’s seriously zero rush to law school, and you don’t want to end up paying a lot of money for a school that will probably not leave you gainfully employed.

Good luck!
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby runinthefront » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 pm

In the future, make sure everything is done “to the letter.” This goes for LSAT sign-ups, Law school applications, bar applications, etc. people can be real sticklers in the legal industry (and the related industries). But yeah, you should just retake in february or maybe find to earn some money and wait until next summer until you have a score you’re satisfied with. I wouldn’t suggest resting on your old scores, especially given the fact that you obviously weren’t satisfied with it before this mishap.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:57 pm

don't apply to law school until your score is "off the wall"

better yet, don't sit for the LSAT until you're confident that your score is "off the wall."

don't attend law school before you max out your LSAT so you can attend the best possible school with as minimal debt as possible. this photo mishap is a blessing in disguise.

Jimlaw123

New
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby Jimlaw123 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:42 pm

pancakes3 wrote:don't apply to law school until your score is "off the wall"

better yet, don't sit for the LSAT until you're confident that your score is "off the wall."

don't attend law school before you max out your LSAT so you can attend the best possible school with as minimal debt as possible. this photo mishap is a blessing in disguise.



I don't think so.. I'm older, have been held stagnant with family, this test, this bullshit holding this over my head for the last 4-5 years. I've watched friends of mine go then graduate, working...

I think it's god, or something telling me to get out. This isn't normal.. always something. I will have to postpone business and work for another 3 months? I cannot do this anymore... My family is going to go nuts.. I took a month off of work, etc...

This is fucking bullshit.

User avatar
OakBrook2021

Bronze
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby OakBrook2021 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Dude, just take it June and apply next cycle. It sucks but it's not out of your control...get a 170+ and then laugh about this some day in the not-too-distant future

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:18 pm

Jimlaw123 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:don't apply to law school until your score is "off the wall"

better yet, don't sit for the LSAT until you're confident that your score is "off the wall."

don't attend law school before you max out your LSAT so you can attend the best possible school with as minimal debt as possible. this photo mishap is a blessing in disguise.



I don't think so.. I'm older, have been held stagnant with family, this test, this bullshit holding this over my head for the last 4-5 years. I've watched friends of mine go then graduate, working...

I think it's god, or something telling me to get out. This isn't normal.. always something. I will have to postpone business and work for another 3 months? I cannot do this anymore... My family is going to go nuts.. I took a month off of work, etc...

This is fucking bullshit.


Ok well if you're older, then you're should more receptive to real advice and to get real advice, we're going to need some facts.

How old are you?
What's your GPA?
What's your career goal(s)?
What market are you targeting?
What's the family situation? Wife's work portability? Kids?

None of this "woe is me, God willed it" sack sad bullshit. Deal with reality on reality's terms.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby rpupkin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:04 pm

After reading this thread, I think I agree with God that you shouldn't pursue a career as a lawyer.

Jimlaw123

New
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:00 am

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby Jimlaw123 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:47 am

rpupkin wrote:After reading this thread, I think I agree with God that you shouldn't pursue a career as a lawyer.



Why do you say that? Any credence to it?

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:18 am

Jimlaw123 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:After reading this thread, I think I agree with God that you shouldn't pursue a career as a lawyer.



Why do you say that? Any credence to it?


Haha why would he say that!? If you can't that out, maybe it's a blessing in disguise after all.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zhenders

Silver
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby zhenders » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:25 am

This thread is weird.

You got a photo violation because you didn't follow the highly detailed photo guidelines. Maybe god is telling you to read more carefully.

Samarcan

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby Samarcan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:27 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Jimlaw123 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:After reading this thread, I think I agree with God that you shouldn't pursue a career as a lawyer.



Why do you say that? Any credence to it?


Haha why would he say that!? If you can't that out, maybe it's a blessing in disguise after all.



Or, perhaps, the question is valid because it's based on the reasonable good-faith assumption that limited information about a person based on online posts or a single misunderstanding about a standardized test rule is not grounds for the rest of us making judgments about their potential as lawyers. Plenty of very good lawyers don't initially exhibit the traits you (and the earlier poster) seem to be holding your noses up about. But hey, if "you can't that out", maybe that's a blessing in disguise, too.

User avatar
ManoftheHour

Gold
Posts: 3488
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:36 am

It's not that big of a deal. Just study hard and take it next time. I took that thing 4 times. A few points of increase literally means thousands of scholarship $$$ or getting into a much better school.

If it helps you feel any better, after studying for an entire year for a retake, I walked out after the second section because I knew I bombed it. I got 2 LGs in a row and I personally knew I fucked up on both sections. I was angry, but I brushed it off and studied for my 3rd LSAT. Yeah what happened to you suck ass, but if you want this career, you'll fight harder for it.

Good luck!

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:54 am

Samarcan wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Jimlaw123 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:After reading this thread, I think I agree with God that you shouldn't pursue a career as a lawyer.



Why do you say that? Any credence to it?


Haha why would he say that!? If you can't that out, maybe it's a blessing in disguise after all.



Or, perhaps, the question is valid because it's based on the reasonable good-faith assumption that limited information about a person based on online posts or a single misunderstanding about a standardized test rule is not grounds for the rest of us making judgments about their potential as lawyers. Plenty of very good lawyers don't initially exhibit the traits you (and the earlier poster) seem to be holding your noses up about. But hey, if "you can't that out", maybe that's a blessing in disguise, too.


Lmao. Ooh, I made a typo! Do you think it's a sign from God that I should give up on everything like a little bitch?

I'm not holding my nose up at shit nor assuming a damn thing. I just find the "why do you say that?" question funny. OP themselves says a couple of times they think God is somehow keeping them from succeeding at this test in some attempt to send a sign. So I think it's pretty clear how and why rpupkin was able to come to his conclusion.

I also think people who have an attitude rooted in learned helplessness and "Woe is me" aren't suited for the law.

ETA: Not saying that's you OP. It just felt like you were coming across that way. Don't let this shake you from pursuing your dream of law school. Like others have said, it may very well be a blessing in disguise. For what it's worth, many things in my personal life (work, health, family) have kept me from being able to take the test for quite some time now. You just have to keep your eyes on the prize and realize that if it's what you truly want to do, you'll find a way to make it work. Best of luck!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
PostNihilist

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 am

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby PostNihilist » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:00 am

I'm just here to laugh at all the people that think theres a god that gives a shit about lsat scores and who goes to law school.....

User avatar
Barack O'Drama

Gold
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:03 am

PostNihilist wrote:I'm just here to laugh at all the people that think theres a god that gives a shit about lsat scores and who goes to law school.....



Lmao... Yeah, that's always a good laugh. Then again, I always assume that people aren't necessarily being literal when they reference god like OP did.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJordan

Bronze
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby AJordan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:37 am

I'm still confused how the hell someone actually managed to mess up the photo upload. There were like three pages and nine examples on how not to screw it up.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
whodareswins

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 am

Re: So, What do I do?( not allowed to take lsat)

Postby whodareswins » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm sorry this happened to you.

I was worried they wouldn't let me in because my photo didn't come close to meeting the requirements. They let me in though.



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests