LGBTQ+ C/O 2021 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Versailles1919

New

LGBTQ+ C/O 2021

Post by Versailles1919 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Hey everyone! I haven't seen an LGBTQ+ thread this cycle, so I wanted to give it a go. Although LGBTQ+ applicants are openly accepted by both URM and non-URM threads throughout the forum, I wanted a place for us to discuss LGBTQ+ issues--from "coming out" on your application to ultimately choosing a school.

Gay male checking in here. Where are y'all applying to this cycle? What's your top choice? :D

principalagent

Silver

Re: LGBTQ+ C/O 2021

Post by principalagent » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Ayyyyyyy it’s a function!

Checking in. More or less blanketed the T14. Hoping to see what the T6 has in store for me!

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Checking in!

I applied to too many schools, honestly. I’m hoping to have a choice between at least 2 of the T6 though!

pizzapocky

New

Post by pizzapocky » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 pm

principalagent wrote:Ayyyyyyy it’s a function!

Checking in. More or less blanketed the T14. Hoping to see what the T6 has in store for me!
Same-ish for me - applied broadly across T14 and shooting for T6 (one down so far...). Also applied to a few well-regarded regional schools in my area for funzies. Good luck everyone!

ilpsm

Bronze

Post by ilpsm » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 pm

sup fam! happy thanksgiving

applied to 5 schools so far (H/NYU/Columbia/Chicago/UVA) and after a full ride at UVA i don't think i'll apply to many, if any, more. maybe yale to depress myself.

did everyone incorporate coming out into their application? i started my PS with it but didn't really want to make my entire essay about it
Last edited by ilpsm on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:36 pm

ilpsm wrote:sup fam! happy thanksgiving

applied to 5 schools so far (H/NYU/Columbia/Chicago/UVA) and after a full ride at UVA i don't think i'll apply to many, if any, more. maybe yale to depress myself.

did everyone incorporate coming out into their application? i started my PS with it but didn't really want to make my entire essay about it
My PS is completely about one coming out experience that was extremely impactful. I'm glad I wrote about it, and didn't make it a sob story, but one of immense growth.

ilpsm

Bronze

Post by ilpsm » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:52 pm

principalagent wrote:

My PS is completely about one coming out experience that was extremely impactful. I'm glad I wrote about it, and didn't make it a sob story, but one of immense growth.
that's awesome! i started mine with the most impactful experience i've had coming out.
what's your ideal outcome for the cycle?

Versailles1919

New

Post by Versailles1919 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 pm

principalagent wrote:

Same here! I had a coming out experience that shaped my interests and undergraduate course of study. It was the primary topic of my statement.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:08 pm

ilpsm wrote:that's awesome! i started mine with the most impactful experience i've had coming out.
Well I think I just got my ideal outcome :) but there are about 3, maybe 4 schools I’ve yet to hear from that can sway me with $$$

ilpsm

Bronze

Post by ilpsm » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm

principalagent wrote:
ilpsm wrote:that's awesome! i started mine with the most impactful experience i've had coming out.
Well I think I just got my ideal outcome :) but there are about 3, maybe 4 schools I’ve yet to hear from that can sway me with $$$
so happy for you!!! that's amazing. you're amazing.

i'm on the same boat, if a new york school threw $$ at me i'd definitely have a decision to make. or if my parents will dish out (unlikely) for harvard if i get in which i'm honestly not confident about post-interview. dreading that conversation but what are drunk holiday dinners for :D

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Checking in!

Applied to T13 minus Y/S/UC-B, plus GULC and a couple regional. No decisions yet but I should be getting something from GULC soon.

I'm trans-lesbian military officer, I didn't write about coming out, but my PS and DS were about being trans and in the military. I also know one of my recommenders, a fundamentalist catholic, wrote about how I changed his perspective on trans issues for the better. Hoping to outperform my numbers and slide into the T13 somewhere.

yan

New

Post by yan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 am

I'm glad we get a thread!

I think my queerness was fairly evident in my personal statement. I wonder if some schools are more interested in assembling a queerer class than others?

I'm assuming that I'm going to be deciding between Virginia, Duke, and Michigan, based on how my cycle has gone so far––anyone here have anecdotal information on how those campuses are for queer folks? (Also, based on information in this thread alone, it seems that a substantial proportion of those receiving/offered Dillards are queer, which is super cool!)

jimmyplayer601

Bronze

Post by jimmyplayer601 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Checking in, applied to top 14 + USC and UCLA because I’m from Southern California.

In at Michigan and duke so far

KG2482

New

Post by KG2482 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:31 am

Checking in!

Applied to some T14 and then some T25, in at a few already (Michigan, Cornell, Georgetown).

I talked a bit about coming out in my personal statement, and then about how my experience as a performer in a largely heteronormative genre of music (opera) motivated my decision to pursue law. I don't think I could have gotten away with leaving such an abrupt pivot in my long term goals unaddressed.
yan wrote:I'm glad we get a thread!

I think my queerness was fairly evident in my personal statement. I wonder if some schools are more interested in assembling a queerer class than others?

I'm assuming that I'm going to be deciding between Virginia, Duke, and Michigan, based on how my cycle has gone so far––anyone here have anecdotal information on how those campuses are for queer folks? (Also, based on information in this thread alone, it seems that a substantial proportion of those receiving/offered Dillards are queer, which is super cool!)
I really like Ann Arbor. It's a great city and the community there is good too. I'd love to say I know from extensive experience, but I'm a bit of a hermit. What limited experiences I've had have been very queer friendly though :)

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Checking in.

I mentioned it in my Diversity Statement as part of a larger topic.

pizzapocky

New

Post by pizzapocky » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Experiment626 wrote:Checking in.

I mentioned it in my Diversity Statement as part of a larger topic.
I briefly touched on it in a DS as well - it didn't fit with the narrative of my PS. And I didn't discuss coming out, but rather my involvement with LGBT organizations, diversity initiatives, and the like. In a related note, the gay is all over my resume too.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:58 pm

PostNihilist wrote:Checking in!

Applied to T13 minus Y/S/UC-B, plus GULC and a couple regional. No decisions yet but I should be getting something from GULC soon.

I'm trans-lesbian military officer, I didn't write about coming out, but my PS and DS were about being trans and in the military. I also know one of my recommenders, a fundamentalist catholic, wrote about how I changed his perspective on trans issues for the better. Hoping to outperform my numbers and slide into the T13 somewhere.
I thought I was the only trans person here...yay!

Edit: checking in lol

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Hey, LGBTQ+ baby lawyers. Welcome to a very exciting first step in your legal journey. Enjoy the adventure, even with its myriad twists, turns, bumps, lumps, and inevitable tears - even if those tears are laced with unicorn glitter.

As I mention to all law students but particularly to LGBTQ law students, make an effort to find a friendly lawyer mentor in your law school community. They will help a lot in navigating school and jobs and meeting other people who can keep you in mind for opportunities. Also, recognize and appreciate that you may (will) face subconscious or implicit bias, and sometimes it's helpful to have a trusted confidante to work through a response who isn't a classmate.

I'm always happy to be a resource here via PM or in person in Chicago if you want a sarcastic midlevel biglaw transactional associate's perspective.

You can do this, and I look forward to welcoming you to the Bar in less than four years.

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Howdy y'all! :)

I did write about being LGBTQ in my PS, although more about how it affected my internal perception of my small town church and eventually my academic choices.

So far I've applied to OU, UT-Austin, USC, UC-Hastings & Berkeley, UChicago, and Stanford. Will probably apply to more T14 schools soon!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:03 pm

dm1683 wrote:

OMG DM! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!

Actually, probably in the forums I hadn't touched until this last week since I was in retake mode. How have you been?

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
You can do this, and I look forward to welcoming you to the Bar in less than four years.
This made my heart start racing, haha.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

Actually, probably in the forums I hadn't touched until this last week since I was in retake mode. How have you been?
good good good...although i just realized i basically came out to the whole forum with that last post :lol:

but whatevs, and you?

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:26 am

dm1683 wrote:

:D that's wonderful!! :D

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:05 am

dm1683 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:

good good good...although i just realized i basically came out to the whole forum with that last post :lol:

but whatevs, and you?
It has been ok. Been busy with studying for the Dec test and recovering from a torn Achilles over the summer. Aside from that, work and no social life due to the first two items.

WhatEvenIsMyLife

New

Post by WhatEvenIsMyLife » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Popping in here, as well. Gay male here.

I'm curious as to whether your LGBT status has led to any difference in your applications than you would have if you weren't LGBT. Any schools that you applied to or didn't apply to because your are LGBT and felt they were going to be better or not as welcoming?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”