How does your sexuality figure into your admissions chances? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mtn1995

New

How does your sexuality figure into your admissions chances?

Post by mtn1995 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi, all,

I'm currently researching the posts in the URM forum to better understand how identifying as a gay man will impact my admissions chances at law schools. I am a bit confused about how much weight my sexuality will carry, however, when also taking into account that I am a white male.

I plan on discussing my sexuality and its role in my decision to pursue law as a career in my personal essay, but do not want to exaggerate the discrimination I have faced, especially when considering the ways in which my race and gender benefit me in the admissions process and in society overall.

Thoughts? I'd really appreciate any insight!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: How does your sexuality figure into your admissions chances?

Post by UVA2B » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 pm

I think it depends what you mean by your sexuality affecting your chances. If you're looking for an admissions bump because you're homosexual, I think you'll most be disappointed. But if you use your experience as a homosexual man to effectively demonstrate something important about your character and positives you bring to the legal profession (through your PS and a DS), then it'll make your application stronger.

If your sexuality is an important part of you and helps define your personal experience, you can use it to create a strong application. But your status as a homosexual white male won't help/hurt your application. It all comes down to how you craft your image in your application.

mtn1995

New

Re: How does your sexuality figure into your admissions chances?

Post by mtn1995 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 pm

UVA2B wrote:I think it depends what you mean by your sexuality affecting your chances. If you're looking for an admissions bump because you're homosexual, I think you'll most be disappointed. But if you use your experience as a homosexual man to effectively demonstrate something important about your character and positives you bring to the legal profession (through your PS and a DS), then it'll make your application stronger.

If your sexuality is an important part of you and helps define your personal experience, you can use it to create a strong application. But your status as a homosexual white male won't help/hurt your application. It all comes down to how you craft your image in your application.
Right. You worded what I'm trying to get at far better than I could. I mean, I certainly was not expecting that any top tier law school would overlook my far-lower-than-average GPA and LSAT simply because I checked a box on the application somewhere identifying as a member of the LGBTQ community, but it is an important part of what has led me to pursue law and the goals I hope to achieve as a lawyer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”