URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

goingnutslawschool

New

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by goingnutslawschool » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:03 pm

What is University of Iowa’s LS medians for LSAT and GPA? I’m really surprised by them waitlisting a diversity candidate (PR) with an LSAT of 164 and GPA 3.4. Tell us how it alll shakes out for you. Wish you the best.

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:33 am

soca_dancer wrote:I would say

1. Apply early, it is a strategy that works in our favor.
2. If you're a URM with borderline numbers write both the DS and Why X essays, I believe both are required to push you over the edge and are useful.
3. Take your time putting your application together, I took a year to make it the best possible.
4. a) Especially if you don't perform on standardized tests well, try your hardest and then thank yourself for what you eventually get. b) If you have the opportunity to retake for better scores and you believe you can get it and have the time, go for it!
5. Do your research on schools/programs/professors...just try to read and ask others as much as you can.
6. Have a team of reviewers, I asked about 5-6 people (my best friends and my mom) to review my essays and they were literally so helpful, esp for the supplemental essays. But there will be instances to go with your gut and disagree with their review, trust yourself.
7. Ask for letters of recommendation like 4-5 months early if possible.
Thank you, Soca! I’ll try to work with what I can, because at this point the only thing I can control is how good my essays are since I can’t turn in an app any earlier than the second week of January.
FN-2187 wrote:
So far I've been waitlisted at GW and Iowa. I worked very hard on my PS, DS, and supplemental essays—I think everyone does. I'm not sure people on here would submit "weak" essays. However, if I have to say something was weak or lacking, it's my LSAT, a 164, or my GPA, 3.4. As the mantra on TLS goes, retake until you get a score that meets or exceeds your potential/desired goals. I will also probably retake in February or June.
Thank you for the information, FN-2287! Sorry to hear that. Here’s hoping that the rest of your cycle is smooth-sailing~
Yeah, I think I’ll need to get over a 170 with how late I’m applying and with my gpa -_-

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Random housekeeping note....guys pleaseeee continually update your LSN accounts :lol: some people choose not to update when they get waitlisted/dinged or don't update scholly info. This limits an already extremely small sample of URMs. Please, help us help each other and future 0L's.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:00 pm

CT6 wrote:Random housekeeping note....guys pleaseeee continually update your LSN accounts :lol: some people choose not to update when they get waitlisted/dinged or don't update scholly info. This limits an already extremely small sample of URMs. Please, help us help each other and future 0L's.

What's your lsn?
What are your numbers?

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

CT

159/3.5/AA female
AaronCarter wrote:
CT6 wrote:Random housekeeping note....guys pleaseeee continually update your LSN accounts :lol: some people choose not to update when they get waitlisted/dinged or don't update scholly info. This limits an already extremely small sample of URMs. Please, help us help each other and future 0L's.

What's your lsn?
What are your numbers?

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:06 pm

CT6 wrote:CT

159/3.5/AA female
AaronCarter wrote:

What's your lsn?
What are your numbers?
You're gonna have a solid cycle.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm

I'll update... if I ever get a response!! (Seriously cheese crackers over here. I'd settle for a WL at this point and these aren't even top schools, tbh.)

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:28 pm

159/3.5/AA female
Ooo I’ll watch you on LSN. I don’t have an lsat score yet but we have the same gpa. I’m rootin’ for ya!

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:33 pm

saffles wrote:

159/3.5/AA female
Ooo I’ll watch you on LSN. I don’t have an lsat score yet but we have the same gpa. I’m rootin’ for ya!
I'm not far off from ya'll either. 162/3.23/AA Female. My cycle has been better than I thought it would be so I'm sure y'all will have great ones as well!!! Good luck :D

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Aww, thanks guys! So excited for all of us!

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Stay encouraged! I'm waiting on my first acceptance too. I know patience isn't even a thing at this point...
DorkothyParker wrote:

I'll update... if I ever get a response!! (Seriously cheese crackers over here. I'd settle for a WL at this point and these aren't even top schools, tbh.)

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 pm

TLS wrote:
saffles wrote:

159/3.5/AA female
I'm not far off from ya'll either. 162/3.23/AA Female. My cycle has been better than I thought it would be so I'm sure y'all will have great ones as well!!! Good luck :D
I have a tab open on your cycle. You’re both inspiration, haha. Represent!!! >;D

Aspire2bEsquire

New

Post by Aspire2bEsquire » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Parking.

dinan15

New

Post by dinan15 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi everyone!
This is just a plug from a current 1L at YLS to please please consider applying to Yale. I know of many people here who almost didn't apply because they were sure they wouldn't get in or didn't think writing the 250 was worth it. Actually, despite the high LSAT/GPA medians of Yale, having stats on the lower end will not completely disqualify you (I know of people who scored in the low 160s/ had a gpa below 3.7 and are nonetheless here and THRIVING). And, just in case you need another reason to apply, stress during the first semester is NON EXISTENT being that we're graded on a credit/fail basis (read: pass/pass).

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me a private message. I'd be happy to answer to the best of my abilities.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 am

How many of you guys wrote a diversity statement? I'm asking because my PS is sorta like a pseudo-diversity statement

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:22 am

I didn't, for this exact reason. There was no way I would have anything significant to say without being redundant.
PrezRand wrote:How many of you guys wrote a diversity statement? I'm asking because my PS is sorta like a pseudo-diversity statement

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:31 am

PrezRand wrote:How many of you guys wrote a diversity statement? I'm asking because my PS is sorta like a pseudo-diversity statement
I wrote one for the opposite reason. My personal statement focused more on a specific experience, and then I used the DS to talk about my diverse and cultural experiences.

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:06 am

Quick question: How big of deal do you all think it is that a recommender of mine misspelled my name wrong on two occasions within the letter they provided for me (by misspelling I mean one letter was off i.e. jessika instead of jessica).. besides those two occurrences it was spelled correctly throughout the rest of the letter. Should I be worried? I reallly do not want to go through the hassle of having to ask them to change it and re-submit, I've had to constantly remind them over the course of 3 months that the letter needed to be submitted and it's finally done :roll: but the letter is from a previous boss that works for a pretty big & important organization ( I apologize if this comes off neurotic lol)

FN-2187

Bronze

Post by FN-2187 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 am

stjeff00 wrote:Quick question: How big of deal do you all think it is that a recommender of mine misspelled my name wrong on two occasions within the letter they provided for me (by misspelling I mean one letter was off i.e. jessika instead of jessica).. besides those two occurrences it was spelled correctly throughout the rest of the letter. Should I be worried? I reallly do not want to go through the hassle of having to ask them to change it and re-submit, I've had to constantly remind them over the course of 3 months that the letter needed to be submitted and it's finally done :roll: but the letter is from a previous boss that works for a pretty big & important organization ( I apologize if this comes off neurotic lol)
Not sure if this is quite the same issue but I had a friend whose name is Chris and the recommender continuously referred to him in the letter as Christopher. He didn't become aware of it until after the cycle and we don't think that cost him any admissions.
Last edited by FN-2187 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 am

soca_dancer wrote:
I wrote one for the opposite reason. My personal statement focused more on a specific experience, and then I used the DS to talk about my diverse and cultural experiences.
Very similar for me. My PS talked about my experience in life, whereas the DS was more about my experience(s) would contribute to the school and how/why.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:24 am

andysimbi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
Very similar for me. My PS talked about my experience in life, whereas the DS was more about my experience(s) would contribute to the school and how/why.
I also wrote one for that reason. My PS was about my military career, DS was about the contributions I could make and impactful life experiences.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Finally submitted my last act!

Wrote my PS about one aspect of my identity, wrote my DS about a different aspect. Realistically, I could have submitted them switched as well.

anacabana

New

Post by anacabana » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:45 am

Last edited by anacabana on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 pm

So much movement today!! Congrats to everyone for all the good news! No doubt, more is to come!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:12 pm

dinan15 wrote:Hi everyone!
This is just a plug from a current 1L at YLS to please please consider applying to Yale. I know of many people here who almost didn't apply because they were sure they wouldn't get in or didn't think writing the 250 was worth it. Actually, despite the high LSAT/GPA medians of Yale, having stats on the lower end will not completely disqualify you (I know of people who scored in the low 160s/ had a gpa below 3.7 and are nonetheless here and THRIVING). And, just in case you need another reason to apply, stress during the first semester is NON EXISTENT being that we're graded on a credit/fail basis (read: pass/pass).

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me a private message. I'd be happy to answer to the best of my abilities.
Thanks for the encouragement... sometimes I feel like even applying is a waste of my money and time, but I guess you never know! :o
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”