URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

jjdude14

Bronze

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by jjdude14 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Congrats to everybody on their cycle movements today! I'm getting really excited, 3/12 acceptances so far with my first crack at the t14 today (Late December apps ftw)

Obviously we've got to wait on a lot more decisions and money but is anybody making moves towards solidifying their decisions? What strategies are you using to narrow it down?

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:08 pm

jkander31 wrote:... Losing hope ..
Don't lose hope. Having spent time observing several admissions offices I can assure you that there is no recognizable order or structure. They are pandemonium (see groupcat GIF above). Anyone who believes they have identified clear structure within the admissions process should be so kind as to inform the admissions offices. Here, for example, is actual footage of last year's selection process at an unnamed T13/14

Are there some general models? Yes. Those models, however, are only that... models. There are always outliers and candidates who don't fit the model. URMs are, by definition, candidates who are unlikely to fit the model. That's literally inherent in the concept of URM. If we URM fit nicely into the standard models they wouldn't need a the sub-category of URM.

This is all to say that you'll just have to settle in for the ride. You know you're an outlier but you won't know where you lie until the day of your decision. It sucks, I know. The best advice I have is give yourself some distance from the process, including checking these boards. I promise you that they have absolutely no information that will be of use to you. All they will do is cause you stress and lead you to wild speculation.

Sorry, got to get back to wildly speculating about my applications. Worried I might have missed a post in which someone else wildly speculated about their application in a manner that would provide me with a new unanswerable question.

holymolyoly

New

Post by holymolyoly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 pm

I GOT A DILLARD TO UVA!!!!! I cried so hard when I read the letter.

Edit: a few points above 75th LSAT and just above median GPA; AA URM

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 pm

holymolyoly wrote:I GOT A DILLARD TO UVA!!!!! I cried so hard when I read the letter.

Amazing!

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:21 pm

TripleM wrote:
jkander31 wrote:... Losing hope ..
Don't lose hope. Having spent time observing several admissions offices I can assure you that there is no recognizable order or structure. They are pandemonium (see groupcat GIF above). Anyone who believes they have identified clear structure within the admissions process should be so kind as to inform the admissions offices. Here, for example, is actual footage of last year's selection process at an unnamed T13/14

Are there some general models? Yes. Those models, however, are only that... models. There are always outliers and candidates who don't fit the model. URMs are, by definition, candidates who are unlikely to fit the model. That's literally inherent in the concept of URM. If we URM fit nicely into the standard models they wouldn't need a the sub-category of URM.

This is all to say that you'll just have to settle in for the ride. You know you're an outlier but you won't know where you lie until the day of your decision. It sucks, I know. The best advice I have is give yourself some distance from the process, including checking these boards. I promise you that they have absolutely no information that will be of use to you. All they will do is cause you stress and lead you to wild speculation.

Sorry, got to get back to wildly speculating about my applications. Worried I might have missed a post in which someone else wildly speculated about their application in a manner that would provide me with a new unanswerable question.
Hey Triple M,

It's funny because I get the most emotional support from random people on this form and not from my closest friends haha. They always give generic advice and I blow them off and tell them you don't know what it feels like to go through this and it's true. Random people who are going through this journey are great for bouncing ideas and lending a hand when you need it the most so I appreciate it.

The most depressing thing is that on the HLS form people are saying "should I give up hope since I didn't get into this JS2 and my JS1 was the first week of January" and I am like uhhhh.... mine was in November ... I should give up hope then. You're right, we do not fit into "a model" and with the increase in applicants this cycle law schools are innovating as they go. It is so stressful to hear different things from different people, but your advice is on point.

I will get off these forums starting now and will check back in a month. I don't need to waste this much time stressing. Lol good luck.

igogo

New

Post by igogo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Law School Native wrote:Applied early January with December LSAT Score. No updates since, typical?
+1

holymolyoly

New

Post by holymolyoly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 pm

Prudence wrote:
holymolyoly wrote:I GOT A DILLARD TO UVA!!!!! I cried so hard when I read the letter.

Amazing!
Congrats on Columbia for you!!! You're killing it.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 pm

Congrats!! Join me :p

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 am

holymolyoly wrote:
Prudence wrote:

Amazing!
Congrats on Columbia for you!!! You're killing it.
So much URM excellence on this thread it’s astonishing. I’m proud of so many strangers haha

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 am

With those numbers I’d bet your cycle has a lot more joy coming.

reedm

New

Post by reedm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Prudence wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:
Prudence wrote:
What are js2? I really need to know because i have been so lost on the hls thread

It means your life is pretty much made lol. you have a guaranteed offer of 180k when you graduate if you want it.
JS2 = admitted to Harvard
Hahah ok thank you :D

hoping my life is made now that I got my Columbia acceptance
Wait so what's a JS1? Trying to understand too hahah

reedm

New

Post by reedm » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:05 pm

that's awesome!!!! congratulations!

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Congrats!!!

And congrats to everyone! As Prudence said, y'all are killing it!
Last edited by AlPastor on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:51 pm

reedm wrote:
Wait so what's a JS1? Trying to understand too hahah
JS is jessica soban, an HLS admissions dean and js1 is the HLS admissions interview
Last edited by Prudence on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Asked in the Columbia thread, didn’t really get a response, wondering if you all have thoughts:

You know how the Columbia admit letter states you should set up a meeting with a senior admissions officer, do you think we just email them and ask for their availability? Any other ideas?

P55

New

Post by P55 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm

soca_dancer wrote:Asked in the Columbia thread, didn’t really get a response, wondering if you all have thoughts:

You know how the Columbia admit letter states you should set up a meeting with a senior admissions officer, do you think we just email them and ask for their availability? Any other ideas?
Hey, I’m pretty sure you can just reach out by email. The officer that was on my acceptance letter is the same person I interviewed with, so I thought it was that way across the board. Either way, I think you’re fine just asking for their availability.

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:26 pm

soca_dancer wrote:Asked in the Columbia thread, didn’t really get a response, wondering if you all have thoughts:

Is it should or can?

I don’t know that I really have anything to ask, but if it’s expected I can probably come up with something...

Edit: Also, congrats!!!

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Thanks all and congrats as well!

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:46 pm

Just completed my Cornell interview. Didn't go amazing but it wasn't bad either. Just have to wait and see now :roll:

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 pm

principalagent wrote:

Have you decided on UVA?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
principalagent wrote:

Have you decided on UVA?
Just waiting on HYS and Mich $$$, but UVA is leading the pack right now.

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:42 pm

mmart207 wrote:Just completed my Cornell interview. Didn't go amazing but it wasn't bad either. Just have to wait and see now :roll:
I hope there’s good news coming! >:D

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 pm

saffles wrote:
mmart207 wrote:Just completed my Cornell interview. Didn't go amazing but it wasn't bad either. Just have to wait and see now :roll:
Thank you I really appreciate it! How's your cycle coming along?

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 am

mmart207 wrote:
saffles wrote:
Thank you I really appreciate it! How's your cycle coming along?
On hold everywhere because I’m taking the February LSAT. I applied to UCLA and LLS so far —only have USC, Southwestern and WUSTL left—, but now I’m considering applying for Rothman and submitting a programmatic contribution to UCLA...
I’m only applying to schools with good Entertainment Law programs outside of NYC so fingers crossed ><

LawShopeful

New

Post by LawShopeful » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 am

How long did it take you? I’m doing mine tomorrow

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”