URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

What do you want to practice in immediately after graduation?

Corporate (Financial)
6
9%
Corporate (Tech)
5
7%
Corporate (Other)
7
10%
Litigation
15
22%
IP Litigation
3
4%
Tax
1
1%
Impact/High-Profile Public Interest
7
10%
Public Interest
13
19%
Government
7
10%
Other
4
6%
 
Total votes: 68

para219
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby para219 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 pm

chewinggum wrote:
saffles wrote:
andysimbi wrote:How's everyone's cycle going so far?


Cycle? What cycle? :lol:

CT6
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby CT6 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 pm

OMG! Why am I just now finding this? Day = madeeee

CT6
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby CT6 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:07 am

Checking in!!!! My apps were mostly done in mid October. My first choice is UC Irvine, but I'm interested to see what happens with the other schools.

AA female
LSDAS GPA 3.5
LSAT 159 (June)
Strong softs (leadership, study abroad, etc), Unique PS, Strong recs.

No movement yet. I'm literally dying, hopelessly refreshing status checkers every free moment of my life.

Good luck to you all!

LSN: CT

dforce308
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby dforce308 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Super late check in (I promise it's not because of CPT this time)! Literally stumbled upon this thread today and it looks like a Godsend!

AA male
3.18 GPA from top 25 LAC
156 LSAT the first go round. Aiming for 165 on the December LSAT
2.5 years WE working at a research center at Harvard Law and transitioning to managing a creative design studio at Harvard until next summer.
Strong softs (foreign languages, study abroad, community engagement, etc.) Rec letter from Harvard Law prof and prof from undergrad.

What's realistic in terms of school outcomes for me? T-14 is definitely the goal but looking at some T-30 schools as well.

Thank you beautiful people!

User avatar
chewinggum
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby chewinggum » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 am

dforce308 wrote:Super late check in (I promise it's not because of CPT this time)! Literally stumbled upon this thread today and it looks like a Godsend!

AA male
3.18 GPA from top 25 LAC
156 LSAT the first go round. Aiming for 165 on the December LSAT
2.5 years WE working at a research center at Harvard Law and transitioning to managing a creative design studio at Harvard until next summer.
Strong softs (foreign languages, study abroad, community engagement, etc.) Rec letter from Harvard Law prof and prof from undergrad.

What's realistic in terms of school outcomes for me? T-14 is definitely the goal but looking at some T-30 schools as well.

Thank you beautiful people!

Good luck on your cycle and in Dec :)

User avatar
DorkothyParker
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby DorkothyParker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 pm

So, is it a fact that there will be no action at all this week due to the holiday? When I was in UG, we had classes on Thanksgiving week up until Wednesday, but by the time I was in grad, my university was closed the entire week. Is that the norm now?
Because I have to be stressed about something at all times, and I would rather not have to move on to freaking out re: my fall/winter weight gain.

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby soca_dancer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:47 pm

There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.

RSolano
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:06 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby RSolano » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:24 am

So I was looking through the URM cycle result forums from the last couple of years where everyone lists their acceptances, stats etc. and noticed several students each year are given scholarships at Harvard and even at Yale. I've seen this reflected on the ABA 509 reports for these schools even though TlS general thought is that top three never offer money. So they do though? Is it more common among URMs? Any info on this would be appreciated!

User avatar
andysimbi
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby andysimbi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 am

RSolano wrote:So I was looking through the URM cycle result forums from the last couple of years where everyone lists their acceptances, stats etc. and noticed several students each year are given scholarships at Harvard and even at Yale. I've seen this reflected on the ABA 509 reports for these schools even though TlS general thought is that top three never offer money. So they do though? Is it more common among URMs? Any info on this would be appreciated!


I honestly was JUST wondering about this. I've been going on the assumption/idea that HYS never give any kind of scholarships, but was scrolling through LSN today and it looks like they occasionally do.

I haven't scrolled through TLS w/r/t this, but could they be need-based in some way? (Do schools give need-based aid outside of FAFSA/government loans? I have no idea...)

RSolano
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:06 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby RSolano » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:51 am

andysimbi wrote:
RSolano wrote:So I was looking through the URM cycle result forums from the last couple of years where everyone lists their acceptances, stats etc. and noticed several students each year are given scholarships at Harvard and even at Yale. I've seen this reflected on the ABA 509 reports for these schools even though TlS general thought is that top three never offer money. So they do though? Is it more common among URMs? Any info on this would be appreciated!


I honestly was JUST wondering about this. I've been going on the assumption/idea that HYS never give any kind of scholarships, but was scrolling through LSN today and it looks like they occasionally do.

I haven't scrolled through TLS w/r/t this, but could they be need-based in some way? (Do schools give need-based aid outside of FAFSA/government loans? I have no idea...)

Someone else suggested maybe they're dual degree people or very high profile admits... But I still don't really know.

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 am

They definitely could be need based. They give scholarships (non-loan, merit, fafsa) to students who have little to no way of contributing financially (esp if under 26) and one or neither parents is financially sound or around to make contributions, such as the non-custodial parent process.
Last edited by soca_dancer on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zkyggi
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby zkyggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm

soca_dancer wrote:There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.


There has been NYU movement for folks below 25th as well I believe. This is the time the wait begins to get unbearable...

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 pm

zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.


There has been NYU movement for folks below 25th as well I believe. This is the time the wait begins to get unbearable...


Lol don't tell me that...the only reason I'm keeping my patience about NYU

User avatar
zkyggi
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby zkyggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.


There has been NYU movement for folks below 25th as well I believe. This is the time the wait begins to get unbearable...


Lol don't tell me that...the only reason I'm keeping my patience about NYU


If I don't hear from NYU in the next 3 weeks I'll become a wreck, no doubt.,

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:53 pm

zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.


There has been NYU movement for folks below 25th as well I believe. This is the time the wait begins to get unbearable...


Lol don't tell me that...the only reason I'm keeping my patience about NYU


If I don't hear from NYU in the next 3 weeks I'll become a wreck, no doubt.,


Haha I told myself I'll give it to the second week of January. I'm trying to give it time :shock: trying being the word of choice lol

User avatar
zkyggi
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby zkyggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:56 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.


There has been NYU movement for folks below 25th as well I believe. This is the time the wait begins to get unbearable...


Lol don't tell me that...the only reason I'm keeping my patience about NYU


If I don't hear from NYU in the next 3 weeks I'll become a wreck, no doubt.,


Haha I told myself I'll give it to the second week of January. I'm trying to give it time :shock: trying being the word of choice lol


It is crazy how getting into schools did pretty much nothing for my worries. They just shifted to other schools as if nothing had happened.

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm

haha exactly, its like I just want to get into any school... then I just want to get into top 14... now its I just want T6

User avatar
principalagent
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby principalagent » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm

soca_dancer wrote:haha exactly, its like I just want to get into any school... then I just want to get into top 14... now its I just want T6


I definitely feel this. My cycle is going crazy well so far and I’m trying to temper my expectations for the T6. I would be more than happy to be at the schools I have acceptances from, but now there’s a shiny prize at the top that seems so much more attainable now

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Right, and then you start to get hopeful and impatient all at the same time

User avatar
andysimbi
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby andysimbi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Even hitting the T6 doesn't help anything, since there's still that elusive YSH level and scholarships to think about. :shock:

para219
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby para219 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:28 am

Happy for yall but can't relate. Looking for my first acceptance period. Would deposit at a T14 with scholarship immediately. :lol: 8)

para219
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby para219 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 am

I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

You can defend the Illinois profile. Can you defend all of us?

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.

anacabana
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby anacabana » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 am

para219 wrote:I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

You can defend the Illinois profile. Can you defend all of us?

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.


If you think there should be a separate thread that's fine, but you sound super bitter and aggressive and that's not cool.

para219
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby para219 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:28 am

anacabana wrote:
para219 wrote:I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

You can defend the Illinois profile. Can you defend all of us?

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.


If you think there should be a separate thread that's fine, but you sound super bitter and aggressive and that's not cool.


Please explain to me how I'm "super bitter and aggressive" for you? Do you have any objective evidence?

para219
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby para219 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:30 am

para219 wrote:
anacabana wrote:
para219 wrote:I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

You can defend the Illinois profile. Can you defend all of us?

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.


If you think there should be a separate thread that's fine, but you sound super bitter and aggressive and that's not cool.


Please explain to me how I'm "super bitter and aggressive" for you? Do you have any objective evidence?


Have you even read the thread and do you have context? Obviously not.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests