URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

Aspire

New

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by Aspire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:09 am

Anyway, the point is I think softs, work experience, and essays are very important for URMs and I don’t think the advice given on TLS that a 3.7+ and a 168+ has a very good chance of getting into one of HYS is true. Maybe a coinflip chance, but I think it just comes down to everything else for URMs below both 25th %iles at HYS.

trafalgar

New

Post by trafalgar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 am

Prudence wrote:
trafalgar wrote:
principalagent wrote:Well the calculation in that thread is correct based off an understanding of normal distributions. It's just that there's a high chance that the distribution for African American LSAT scores isn't all that normal, and that normal distribution formula simply best fits the data, without being perfect or accounting for skews/bumps in the curve.
I 100% agree. With AA being such a small sample size compared to LSAT population as a whole, the confidence that you can have for this particular group fits a normal distribution is a lot less, BUT its still the best indicator of how the scores are distributed. My guess would be that for 170+ AA test takers for a given cycle is 20 < x < ALOT less than 125. I also have a feeling that TLS is not representative of people as a whole, because it naturally tends to attract higher test takers. I don't think if 125 black people got 170+ on the LSAT, the mean for our scores would be so low. If there's only 300-350 AA's in the T14(or 13 or 15 or whatever the fuck it is now), why are they reaching for 159-160 scores? There is waaayyyyy less than 125 at HYS alone , and even they are taking people in the mid-high 160's. I think the real number is somewhere around like 40.
It may be a higher number than we expect if we think about AA’s who retake to get 170+ (and may have taken the exam multiple times in a cycle or get full rides at strong regional schools below t13 rather than attend H). I also doubt its 125 AA’s with 170+ each cycle however but my theory is there could be more if many of the mid 160 scorers were forced to retake to go to t13’s but they can already get in with the 160s already so maybe there’s less retaking among AA’s? There’s no way to know or account for these things

Also I think someone said it before... the lsat is classist af (how much disposable income you have can influence how high you score/learn the ways of the exam) and the intersection of race and class certainly play a role in the distribution of lsat scores among AA’s and all people who take the lsat
I could be wrong, but the only way I see a majority of AA's retaking a mid-160's LSAT is to get into HYS. After combing through these threads and MyLSN and seeing people get into CCN with 163-165's, I'm just hard pressed to find that there are that many high scorers to fill the head count at top schools. But if your theory about the full-rides to strong regionals (Vandy, UCLA, WUSTL, ND, GW etc.) holds, then that means there are a lot more people with good gpas and 160+ than we think. Also, with the "LSAT Performance by Race" breakdown on LSAC, there's only about 10000 AA's per cycle applying anyways. With a mean score of 141.76 per 2013-14 results, unfortunately either there is entirely too many people scoring well below 140's to offset this higher-than-normally-distributed amount of people above the 2-2.5 standard deviation, or there's just not that many people with 170+ scores. Even with the classist tendencies of the LSAT, I think if there are that many high scoring AA's, the distribution of the scores of test takers is very ugly.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:42 am

Aspire wrote:I don’t think it’s 40. The guy explicitly says over 100 which makes more sense. As soon as I read in the thread that only around 20 blacks score over 168 in a cycle I became extremely skeptical. It has come to my attention that this video was from 2010, so things could have changed but I doubt by much. However, a brief for Fisher says only 63 blacks had a 165+ and a 3.5+ in the 2009-2010 cycle. So I guess a substantial number of blacks with over a 170 have below a 3.5 GPA? This could explain why the T13 is reaching, to get people with good LSAT/GPA combos. Also to get people with unique life story/good softs.
Actually 2010 to now does make a huge difference. Either 2009-2010 or 2010-2011 was the last cycle before apps to law school TANKED. There are definitely fewer high scores, and high scoring African Americans to go around. I doubt it's still over 100.

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:52 am

trafalgar wrote:I could be wrong, but the only way I see a majority of AA's retaking a mid-160's LSAT is to get into HYS. After combing through these threads and MyLSN and seeing people get into CCN with 163-165's, I'm just hard pressed to find that there are that many high scorers to fill the head count at top schools. But if your theory about the full-rides to strong regionals (Vandy, UCLA, WUSTL, ND, GW etc.) holds, then that means there are a lot more people with good gpas and 160+ than we think. Also, with the "LSAT Performance by Race" breakdown on LSAC, there's only about 10000 AA's per cycle applying anyways. With a mean score of 141.76 per 2013-14 results, unfortunately either there is entirely too many people scoring well below 140's to offset this higher-than-normally-distributed amount of people above the 2-2.5 standard deviation, or there's just not that many people with 170+ scores. Even with the classist tendencies of the LSAT, I think if there are that many high scoring AA's, the distribution of the scores of test takers is very ugly.
I think the distribution is at least uglier than it is for the other groups. Think about the extreme range of educational opportunities for blacks.

trafalgar

New

Post by trafalgar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:54 am

Aspire wrote:Anyway, the point is I think softs, work experience, and essays are very important for URMs and I don’t think the advice given on TLS that a 3.7+ and a 168+ has a very good chance of getting into one of HYS is true. Maybe a coinflip chance, but I think it just comes down to everything else for URMs below both 25th %iles at HYS.

The brief for Fisher while eye-opening, has to be taken with a grain of salt. There have been substantially less people applying to law school since 09-2010, which was basically a peak for all applicant numbers. And if that many people have below a 3.5 and are 170+, where are they going to school? The numbers just don't add up. And this does not apply for all URM's (but honestly does for most), flat out: if your AA with 3.7+ and a 168+, barring you're just a shit person, you are getting into at least one of HYS, and potentially all 3.

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:08 pm

trafalgar wrote:
Aspire wrote:Anyway, the point is I think softs, work experience, and essays are very important for URMs and I don’t think the advice given on TLS that a 3.7+ and a 168+ has a very good chance of getting into one of HYS is true. Maybe a coinflip chance, but I think it just comes down to everything else for URMs below both 25th %iles at HYS.

The brief for Fisher while eye-opening, has to be taken with a grain of salt. There have been substantially less people applying to law school since 09-2010, which was basically a peak for all applicant numbers. And if that many people have below a 3.5 and are 170+, where are they going to school? The numbers just don't add up. And this does not apply for all URM's (but honestly does for most), flat out: if your AA with 3.7+ and a 168+, barring you're just a shit person, you are getting into at least one of HYS, and potentially all 3.
Ya I see applications did peak in 2009-10. Interesting, but since both data points - the professor’s lecture and the Fisher brief -were from 2009-10 cycle it seems to indicate that the majority of the 170+ LSATs had below a 3.5. Maybe they took full rides to regional schools as has been suggested? But I take your point that LSAT takers are down substantially since then. I have a 3.7+ 168 so we will see if you are right lol.

trafalgar

New

Post by trafalgar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Aspire wrote:
trafalgar wrote:

Ya I see applications did peak in 2009-10. Interesting, but since both data points - the professor’s lecture and the Fisher brief -were from 2009-10 cycle it seems to indicate that the majority of the 170+ LSATs had below a 3.5. Maybe they took full rides to regional schools as has been suggested? But I take your point that LSAT takers are down substantially since then. I have a 3.7+ 168 so we will see if you are right lol.
http://mylsn.info/iu2j7o/

no cap, you'll be good fam

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:40 pm

principalagent wrote:
DIDN'T *clap* I *clap* TELL *clap* YOU *clap* TO *clap* PUT *clap* RAKE *clap* IT *clap* UP *clap* ON *clap* THIS *clap* PLAYLIST *clap*
YOU RIGHT, YOU RIGHT

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:41 pm

PrezRand wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:"Secure the Bag" Playlist

"I Get the Bag" - Gucci Mane ft. Migos
"Major Bag Alert" - DJ Khaled ft. Quavo
"Started from the Bottom" - Drake
"Used to This" - Future ft. Drake
"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Bad and Boujee" - Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert
"Champions" - Kanye West ft. Quavo, Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti, Big Sean, 2 Chainz and Travis Scott
"Law" - Yo Gotti
"Handsome and Wealthy" - Migos
"All Me" - Drake ft. 2 Chainz and Big Sean
"Too Much Sauce" - DJ ESCO ft. Future and Lil Uzi Vert
You should make it a goal to have all of your LS peers know these songs word for word.
These rich yt folk have NO idea what they're in for

Aspire2bEsquire

New

Post by Aspire2bEsquire » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Champions" - Kanye West ft. Quavo, Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti, Big Sean, 2 Chainz and Travis Scott
"Law" - Yo Gotti
You should make it a goal to have all of your LS peers know these songs word for word.
May we add "Rolls Royce B*tch" - 2 Chainz and "Dying to be me" - Remy Ma?

I got time for haters.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Aspire2bEsquire wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Law" - Yo Gotti
May we add "Rolls Royce B*tch" - 2 Chainz and "Dying to be me" - Remy Ma?

I got time for haters.
Added.

Also added "Feds Watchin'" by 2 Chainz feat. Pharell and "Where U Been" by 2 Chainz

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Law" - Yo Gotti
No Flockin right before class

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Tbh Big Rings by Drake and Future is perfect a thread theme song. Because we’re a really big team who needs some really big rings (acceptances), reall nice things ($$$), that better come with no strings (stipulations)

trafalgar

New

Post by trafalgar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:05 pm

PrezRand wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Law" - Yo Gotti
I second this.

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 pm

trafalgar wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Law" - Yo Gotti
I second this.
3rd...I got old cash, spazzin on they ass

Applepie5alamode

New

Post by Applepie5alamode » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 pm

Ecstatic , in at NYU today via phone call from the dean

LawShopeful

New

Post by LawShopeful » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Applepie5alamode wrote:Ecstatic , in at NYU today via phone call from the dean
Congratulations! I'm in at Georgetown and UVA so far but I feel ghosted by NYU

Great job!!

Applepie5alamode

New

Post by Applepie5alamode » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks I’m in at Georgetown as well but have heard absolutely nothing from uba so I know how frustrating that can be
LawShopeful wrote:
Congratulations! I'm in at Georgetown and UVA so far but I feel ghosted by NYU

Great job!!

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi, haven't posted here yet but I have been lurking.

Tribally enrolled NA
3.47 GPA
Overcame real adversity

Reaches
Harvard
Yale
Targets
Columbia
NYU
Safety: Fordham

Just posting to see how fellow NAs are doing.

reedm

New

Post by reedm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:57 am

Law School Native wrote:Hi, haven't posted here yet but I have been lurking.

Tribally enrolled NA
3.47 GPA
Overcame real adversity

Reaches
Harvard
Yale
Targets
Columbia
NYU

yay another NA!!! i'm a tribally enrolled NA too w comparable stats - 3.3/165. when did you send in your apps?

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 am

reedm wrote:

Tribally enrolled NA
3.47 GPA
Overcame real adversity

Reaches
Harvard
Yale
Targets
Columbia
NYU

yay another NA!!! i'm a tribally enrolled NA too w comparable stats - 3.3/165. when did you send in your apps?
Nice! Doing it on the 11th as my last LOR is coming in then. My school gets fall grades in really late (December 29). How have your apps gone?

reedm

New

Post by reedm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:09 am

Law School Native wrote:
reedm wrote:

Tribally enrolled NA
3.47 GPA
Overcame real adversity

Reaches
Harvard
Yale
Targets
Columbia
NYU

Nice! Doing it on the 11th as my last LOR is coming in then. My school gets fall grades in really late (December 29). How have your apps gone?
i've only heard back from UGA. I got the acceptance the day after I applied which was cool and then got a pretty good scholarship offer the following day. still waiting from georgetown, duke, vanderbilt, UVA, cornell, columbia, washu, alabama, UNC, wake forest, GWU. I submitted them all between 12/24 and 1/3 so assuming i've got a while to wait. i got spoiled with UGA accepting me the next day haha now i'm so impatient

Law School Native

New

Post by Law School Native » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:21 am

reedm wrote:
Law School Native wrote:
reedm wrote:

Tribally enrolled NA
3.47 GPA
Overcame real adversity

Reaches
Harvard
Yale
Targets
Columbia
NYU

i've only heard back from UGA. I got the acceptance the day after I applied which was cool and then got a pretty good scholarship offer the following day. still waiting from georgetown, duke, vanderbilt, UVA, cornell, columbia, washu, alabama, UNC, wake forest, GWU. I submitted them all between 12/24 and 1/3 so assuming i've got a while to wait. i got spoiled with UGA accepting me the next day haha now i'm so impatient
Congrats on Georgia! So you're on the same time table as me. What was your undergrad? Mine was a good but not great (think Central Florida) state school.

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Congrats! How long did it take for you to go from under review to accepted? I went under review yesterday.

lgsb2014

New

Post by lgsb2014 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Not feeling too great.
MA Female
My december LSAT score still sucks, my gpa is okay (3.45).
4 years work experience in the field I want to get into.
Still haven't submitted my applications. I'm waiting for a few people to get back to me on revisions.

I feel so defeated by this process and I don't think i'm going to get in anywhere. I thought I would feel excited but I feel dread.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”