URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

What do you want to practice in immediately after graduation?

Corporate (Financial)
6
9%
Corporate (Tech)
5
7%
Corporate (Other)
7
10%
Litigation
15
22%
IP Litigation
3
4%
Tax
1
1%
Impact/High-Profile Public Interest
7
10%
Public Interest
13
19%
Government
7
10%
Other
4
6%
 
Total votes: 68

User avatar
ljalba
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby ljalba » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:39 am

para219 wrote:I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

You can defend the Illinois profile. Can you defend all of us?

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.


I agree with everything you wrote in the first sentence. We should cater to URMs with average numbers that may not be auto-admits.

I do not remember a "bunch" of people crying about the LSN profile that chose UIUC. I do remember responding to the negative tones displayed by some individuals and subsequently calling for greater positivity and support of one another.

I work under the assumption that the underlying purpose of spaces like this URM thread is for members of our communities to come together and participate in coalition building, allyship, and support networks—of every URM. I might be completely wrong, and nobody here is interested in such endeavors, but until someone tells me to go away, my assumption will stay intact. Now, coalition building, allyship, and support can take many forms, from PS reviews, to DS advice, to simple congratulatory responses. Nonetheless, imo, the crux of having our space rests in the fact that when we belong to historically disadvantaged and marginalized communities—we only got us. Accordingly, we need to support each other. That is why I will defend and support that UIUC profile with the same fury that I will defend and support the applicant striving for the T6 with multiple T14 admission letters in their pocket.

Do applicants in this URM thread sometimes spew the same kind of elitism found elsewhere in the forum? Yes, but hegemony is hard to dismantle, and it takes time to get everyone on the same page. That's precisely why I called for more support of each other when I read the not-very-nice responses to the LSN profile and advocated that we not recreate the negativity used on us, in a space for us.

Nevertheless, is this thread akin to a smoking room where elites retreat to a cloud of smoke, drink brandy, and congratulate each other on being masters of the universe? I don't think so and I sure hope that never becomes the case either. There is a difference between the scene that I just described from the film Titanic and applicants participating in friendly discussions of their aspirations and anxieties.

If a group of strong, talented, and ambitious applicants discussing their desire for the T6 is found to be disrespectful, boosts of self-confidence and personal reflections on the definition of allyship are in order. Especially considering the naive claim that MAs and PRs have nothing to learn from AA and NA cycles or that they are not helpful to us—and as an MA applicant who will ecstatically, more-likely-than-not, attend a low T1 or high T2 institution, I do mean us.

para219 and I have a lot in common. I, too, am so happy with the amazing cycles many URM applicants are having. I admit I don't congratulate as much as I would like to but that's because I mostly get on TLS to spew tidbits about race—I will work on this. Additionally, I cannot relate my cycle to many applicants here; I, too, am looking for my first acceptance—period.

With that being said, I think a call for separate groups is silly.

Now, I will assume that someone created a URM category within TLS because URM cycles differ from non-URM cycles; therefore, a tailored space could benefit URMs in ways mainstream TLS could not. Following that line of reasoning, I can kind of arrive at the similar conclusion that because MA, PR, and Latinx cycles differ from AA and NA cycles, an MA/PR/Latinx-tailored space can benefit MA, PR, and Latinxs. But only kind of.

We do not share this space because URMs share similar numbers, or because URM experiences can be pigeonholed, or because URM applicants are a monolith. We share this space because of our underrepresented relationship to the legal world—not to each other. Let's not forget, the legal world doesn't look like us. That is the reality before, during, and after a JD from UIUC or a T6 school. Therefore, a perspective that interprets the aspirations of fellow URM applicants as "disrespectful," overlooks the powerful capacity in viewing those applicants, their goals, and their subsequent results, as an opportunity for virtual coalition building where allyship—not segregation—is a much more supportive response.

Perhaps there might be a logistical reason to have an MA/PR guide (maybe? idk), but I struggle to see how a separate non-AA-or-NA-URM space will offer MAs, PRs, or Latinxs with anything substantial that (1) we cannot already get in the existing space, and (2) would help us in our cycle.

What do we benefit from that space? A thread of posts with fewer discussions about T6 scholarships? Is that worth the cost of coalition building and allyship? But I digress. Instead, let's discuss the issue and the offered solution. If we want to cater to URMs with average numbers, is a separate space going to achieve that?

I agree, data about non-AA applicants is limited—but is a separate space going to increase the pool of information? And if it does increase the pool of information, because non-AA lurkers identify with the new space, won't the MA/PR/Latinx stellar and not-as-stellar applicants once again bifurcate the new space? There are some MAs and PRs whose cycle results resemble those of AA and NA applicants. Will these stellar-numbered MAs and PRs be considered disrespectful in the new MA/PR/Latinx space if they are discussing their numerous T14 acceptances when the other MAs and PRs are looking at a regional school? And herein lies my concern: the proposal of a separate MA/PR/Latinx space fails to address the issue that we should cater to applicants with not-so-stellar numbers.

I think this URM space can both cater to URMs with "average numbers" and support the URMs with stellar numbers. Sure, this space isn't perfect, and neither are we, but we need to start somewhere. I have no doubt in my mind that we can foster a space that showers applicants with praise, not solely due to their acceptances but because of what those acceptances mean in the grand scheme of things.

User avatar
principalagent
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby principalagent » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:21 am

principalagent wrote:The one thing I do know is that by the end of this cycle, all of us will be basking in our melanin at the finest institutions of law in the world, and we will have all earned our way in. That's so beautiful to think about, and I can't wait to gas up every single person in this thread over the next few months as our hard work is appreciated by admissions offices across the country!


I'm just going to throw this back and expand on it. Melanin, here, doesn't apply to just the darker skinned URMs (who may or *may not* always get larger "boosts") for the purposes of this statement - it applies to the lightest skinned Latinx to the darkest skinned black person who comes across this thread. Finest institution doesn't just refer to the T13 or T6, but to all the great T1s, regional schools, and anywhere that helps you create the career you want. One of the most passionate attorneys I know went to Thomas Jefferson. Yeah, generally trash, but she worked hard, put in hours, was active in clinics and journals, passed the bar in multiple states, and now *gets paid* to travel across the country working on immigration cases. I will admit, non-begrudgingly, that I sometimes let my own goals shape how I view others', but my *only* goal when creating this thread is to offer an avenue of support and praise for us for the cycle.

I can't speak first-hand to why admissions offices differentiate their readings of Latinx and African/Native American apps. While I have thoughts, I'm going to leave them out of this thread because it isn't the place and I really don't care to have that discussion in this forum (or at all so don't slide into my DMs either). But I'll echo what ljalba is saying and back up that creating a new thread won't solve any problems but will just create another differentiation. Not to mention there are still black people waiting for their first acceptance too, while Latinx people with similar stats to the black folk reaching for the T6 in this thread are also cleaning up right now.

Also want to note a quote of mine from much earlier in the thread where I said that non-URM racial minorities are allowed, and truly welcomed, here, because *all* of us are not represented to our fullest extent in the legal profession - and especially those positions with power - including the Dominicans and the Cubans and the Asian-Americans and the Middle Easterners. Last year's thread and the threads before had people (of all races) griping about not hearing back from Harvard fast enough, and people (again, of all races) wondering if they would make it to the best school in their city. Not always an easy or comfortable conversation to read when that dichotomy got brought up, but people supported each other, still. And it never became a problem of this minority versus that minority, which, honestly, makes me sad that we're here right now.

If there's a serious desire to split the thread, I can go ahead and change the title. I hope that there isn't, though. Black and Latinx (and really, all racial minorities) need each other now more than ever in this country. And I do not think the thread is any different. Because as much as you may be angry/annoyed/offput/whatever at the perceived easier time African Americans have getting into (top) law school(s), there are tons and tons of people outside this forum who are looking at you the same way.

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby soca_dancer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am

para219 wrote:I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

You can defend the Illinois profile. Can you defend all of us?

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.


I was very offended by your post as a member of both the black and Latinx communities. Being Afro Latina I find this sentiment to be divisive and dismisses people like myself who by your standards would not belong in this new group. I based my cycle on the past 3 years of AA/MA/PR/Latinx applicants who had similar numbers to me. This URM thread is a space where I would assume many other applicants who do not have stellar scores and don't want to hear the constant rebuke of "retake" or you "have to go to a t14" come to share our experiences and hope to impart some of our own wisdom from this process onto others. I had no idea what the outcome of this process would be for me and whether I was about to waste months of my life and thousands of dollars for something fruitless - but I come to this thread to offer encouragement that having the highest LSAT or GPA won't remove you from the race.

Your comments about AA/NA getting into schools consistently with lower scores and applying later is a disrespectful generalization as it disregards the hundreds of AA/NA applicants that have above 165+ LSATs and 3.5 gpas. It also ignores the holistic appropach that many of these institutions take when evaluating applications, for all we know these individuals could be a Rhodes scholars, entrepreneurs, nationally recognized community activists, etc. I am one of those individuals that applied when apps first opened (early September to 19 schools) and have only heard back from 6, it takes a while and if you haven't gotten your first one at least you haven't gotten a rejection (because I know a lot that have).

URMs have unpredictable cycles and it only benefits us to gain as much knowledge as we can from each other about the possibility of outcomes available to us. There are many AA/Latinx applicants who I can't relate to but I learn from them and ask questions - their success is my success. I spoke about my admissions process thus far not to brag but to state my excitement of exceeding my expectations thus far and how that means I can dream bigger. Thus my advice would be for you to dream bigger and ask questions, seek out the information. I'm a borderline candidate and have had to one way or another interview at mostly every school I've been accepted to...did you think about the invaluable knowledge I may have about interview questions or what to expect?

Instead of calling for a separation and using such divisive language, it may have been better to just voice the concern you may have had - if you need data on applicants filter through LSN, below are some of the Latinx applicants I drew inspiration from:

TStevenson, platanopower, aknd2017, peazy, _e_v_c02

LSNlife
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby LSNlife » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 am

What a time to be checking in....but regardless of the tension, excited to be here and excited to see how EVERYONE's cycles turn out. While I can understand the sentiments expressed above I'd like to think that we can be happy and supportive of each and every person who is present on this thread. I can understand the frustration, but let's be honest this whole process is frustrating. If anything I give props to the fact that you're able to have this conversation at all. If you want to gather separate/new information It seems like starting a chart or a spreadsheet might be helpful but in the meantime, good luck to everyone present on this thread and nice to virtually "meet" ya'll. :)

Intro-gamer
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:20 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby Intro-gamer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:05 am

principalagent wrote:
principalagent wrote:The one thing I do know is that by the end of this cycle, all of us will be basking in our melanin at the finest institutions of law in the world, and we will have all earned our way in. That's so beautiful to think about, and I can't wait to gas up every single person in this thread over the next few months as our hard work is appreciated by admissions offices across the country!


I'm just going to throw this back and expand on it. Melanin, here, doesn't apply to just the darker skinned URMs (who may or *may not* always get larger "boosts") for the purposes of this statement - it applies to the lightest skinned Latinx to the darkest skinned black person who comes across this thread. Finest institution doesn't just refer to the T13 or T6, but to all the great T1s, regional schools, and anywhere that helps you create the career you want. One of the most passionate attorneys I know went to Thomas Jefferson. Yeah, generally trash, but she worked hard, put in hours, was active in clinics and journals, passed the bar in multiple states, and now *gets paid* to travel across the country working on immigration cases. I will admit, non-begrudgingly, that I sometimes let my own goals shape how I view others', but my *only* goal when creating this thread is to offer an avenue of support and praise for us for the cycle.

I can't speak first-hand to why admissions offices differentiate their readings of Latinx and African/Native American apps. While I have thoughts, I'm going to leave them out of this thread because it isn't the place and I really don't care to have that discussion in this forum (or at all so don't slide into my DMs either). But I'll echo what ljalba is saying and back up that creating a new thread won't solve any problems but will just create another differentiation. Not to mention there are still black people waiting for their first acceptance too, while Latinx people with similar stats to the black folk reaching for the T6 in this thread are also cleaning up right now.

Also want to note a quote of mine from much earlier in the thread where I said that non-URM racial minorities are allowed, and truly welcomed, here, because *all* of us are not represented to our fullest extent in the legal profession - and especially those positions with power - including the Dominicans and the Cubans and the Asian-Americans and the Middle Easterners. Last year's thread and the threads before had people (of all races) griping about not hearing back from Harvard fast enough, and people (again, of all races) wondering if they would make it to the best school in their city. Not always an easy or comfortable conversation to read when that dichotomy got brought up, but people supported each other, still. And it never became a problem of this minority versus that minority, which, honestly, makes me sad that we're here right now.

If there's a serious desire to split the thread, I can go ahead and change the title. I hope that there isn't, though. Black and Latinx (and really, all racial minorities) need each other now more than ever in this country. And I do not think the thread is any different. Because as much as you may be angry/annoyed/offput/whatever at the perceived easier time African Americans have getting into (top) law school(s), there are tons and tons of people outside this forum who are looking at you the same way.


Not checking in, but THIS

Sensing a lot of bitterness from Para19’s post. While I see the benefit of having a pool of data that caters more directly to Latinx applicants, the rest of the post was made in poor taste.

1) No one suggested AA’s and Latinx students get the same results with the same numbers. That’s a straw man argument Para19 introduced to be incendiary.

2) I don’t know why Para19 would find it offensive that applicants in this thread are aiming and hoping for T-6 acceptances and scholarships outside of frankly being butt-hurt. The reality is that different URM groups are given varying boosts based on adcoms standards. You can be upset about it, but if you’re a URM you will be benefiting from it too. And guess what? Someone will be upset with your URM group for being able to get in with lower numbers as well.

We deal with this enough from non-URMs that are angry about opportunity being shared. We really should strive not to express that negativity towards each other because we are all URMs. Our representation in the legal community alone puts us at a significant disadvantage. Let’s not add onto that by being divisive towards each other as well.
Last edited by Intro-gamer on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
andysimbi
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby andysimbi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 am

Just wanted to say that it was really nice to see the overall support for each other here. If it weren't for this thread (and its previous iterations), I likely would have applied to a very different set of schools, and would be having a very different cycle. That said, I still would have been ecstatic about any positive results.

I think most of us are here to support and uplift each other since, as many have mentioned, there is a severe lack of diversity in the legal profession. Even outside of those who are historically underrepresented, there's a lack of diversity in management and executive positions for most American minorities. I would hope that all people feel supported in this thread, and that we can all learn from each other, regardless of our racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds.

I also want to add that there seems to be, especially here on TLS, an assumption that the entire process is based on LSAT and GPA alone (plus some un-quantifiable URM boost), which just isn't logical considering the number of essays and the LORs that are required for admission. Unless you know the entirety of someone's application--not just their scores, but also the strength of their writing and their LORs and any other experiences they may have--there's no way to *know* exactly why their cycle happened the way it did.

Anyway, I'm excited for and proud of everyone here and I hope you all get into your #1 choice, no matter what that choice may be! :D

User avatar
DorkothyParker
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby DorkothyParker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:36 pm

para219 wrote:I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

You can defend the Illinois profile. Can you defend all of us?

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.


I appreciate the camaraderie this community offers. I do tend to check the "URM, non-AA" tab on mylsn because that is more representative of where I am coming from as an MA. However, I don't think it's negative to have *more* information. And I certainly don't find it negative to share in the success of my peers.

TLS is so incredibility dogmatic in their reverence to the T-14. And I am often-enough reminded that it's "TOP law schools not ANY law school." But alas, I think there really isn't another online forum that caters towards 0ls. I'm here for the support and ready to give.

-MA, non-trad, regional applicant w/ super "meh" numbers.

CT6
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby CT6 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 pm

.
Last edited by CT6 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AlPastor
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby AlPastor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 pm

principalagent wrote:
principalagent wrote:The one thing I do know is that by the end of this cycle, all of us will be basking in our melanin at the finest institutions of law in the world, and we will have all earned our way in. That's so beautiful to think about, and I can't wait to gas up every single person in this thread over the next few months as our hard work is appreciated by admissions offices across the country!


I'm just going to throw this back and expand on it. Melanin, here, doesn't apply to just the darker skinned URMs (who may or *may not* always get larger "boosts") for the purposes of this statement - it applies to the lightest skinned Latinx to the darkest skinned black person who comes across this thread. Finest institution doesn't just refer to the T13 or T6, but to all the great T1s, regional schools, and anywhere that helps you create the career you want. One of the most passionate attorneys I know went to Thomas Jefferson. Yeah, generally trash, but she worked hard, put in hours, was active in clinics and journals, passed the bar in multiple states, and now *gets paid* to travel across the country working on immigration cases. I will admit, non-begrudgingly, that I sometimes let my own goals shape how I view others', but my *only* goal when creating this thread is to offer an avenue of support and praise for us for the cycle.

I can't speak first-hand to why admissions offices differentiate their readings of Latinx and African/Native American apps. While I have thoughts, I'm going to leave them out of this thread because it isn't the place and I really don't care to have that discussion in this forum (or at all so don't slide into my DMs either). But I'll echo what ljalba is saying and back up that creating a new thread won't solve any problems but will just create another differentiation. Not to mention there are still black people waiting for their first acceptance too, while Latinx people with similar stats to the black folk reaching for the T6 in this thread are also cleaning up right now.

Also want to note a quote of mine from much earlier in the thread where I said that non-URM racial minorities are allowed, and truly welcomed, here, because *all* of us are not represented to our fullest extent in the legal profession - and especially those positions with power - including the Dominicans and the Cubans and the Asian-Americans and the Middle Easterners. Last year's thread and the threads before had people (of all races) griping about not hearing back from Harvard fast enough, and people (again, of all races) wondering if they would make it to the best school in their city. Not always an easy or comfortable conversation to read when that dichotomy got brought up, but people supported each other, still. And it never became a problem of this minority versus that minority, which, honestly, makes me sad that we're here right now.

If there's a serious desire to split the thread, I can go ahead and change the title. I hope that there isn't, though. Black and Latinx (and really, all racial minorities) need each other now more than ever in this country. And I do not think the thread is any different. Because as much as you may be angry/annoyed/offput/whatever at the perceived easier time African Americans have getting into (top) law school(s), there are tons and tons of people outside this forum who are looking at you the same way.


+180

Thank you for this post. I couldn't agree more

User avatar
Incrementalist
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby Incrementalist » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:42 am

I have applied in a previous cycle but decided to sit out to earn my Master's degree first and it is really disheartening to see comments about separation of a thread. I have never seen this before in previous cycles. Like it or not whether you are the fairest skinned Latino/Hispanic, African/African American, or Native American or the darkest skinned of any of the racial ethnicities. At top law schools by some ignorant folks who may walk the campus you are going to be viewed as an "easy in" admit regardless of your credentials/scores. I'm going to step away from this thread. Its already tough being URM as it is. But this division of threads is unwarranted and I won't participate in any of that. I will say though good luck to you all and I hope you all have amazing cycles and get into the schools of your choice to have long and prospering careers.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7710
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:58 pm

wtf, separation of threads? wtf is going on in here :shock:

I'm too lazy to read all of the posts but just glancing at some things and at considerations of separating doesn't seem like the right call. what would be the point? yeah some URMs have way different outcomes than another URM, but shouldn't we still just stick together?

idk, I'm just saying if there's going to be some kind of thing where people vote for separation of threads or something, I'm just going to preemptively say no

:?

User avatar
AlPastor
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby AlPastor » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Going to try and get this thread back on topic by adding that I just got a package from Stanford inviting me to apply + a letter about the Latino Students Association, similar to the Michigan packet.

I almost got a heart attack when I saw I had something from SLS. Did anyone else get something similar? It seems odd they're only sending this out now

User avatar
usaorbust
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby usaorbust » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm

AlPastor wrote:Going to try and get this thread back on topic by adding that I just got a package from Stanford inviting me to apply + a letter about the Latino Students Association, similar to the Michigan packet.

I almost got a heart attack when I saw I had something from SLS. Did anyone else get something similar? It seems odd they're only sending this out now


Also just got this but with the BLSA. It also had an application fee wavior application and a bunch of resumes, DS, PS.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7710
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:53 pm

AlPastor wrote:Going to try and get this thread back on topic by adding that I just got a package from Stanford inviting me to apply + a letter about the Latino Students Association, similar to the Michigan packet.

I almost got a heart attack when I saw I had something from SLS. Did anyone else get something similar? It seems odd they're only sending this out now

Got the llsa thing from mich

CT6
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby CT6 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:06 pm

+1. I'm not really interested in HYS, but it was nice to see this.

usaorbust wrote:
AlPastor wrote:Going to try and get this thread back on topic by adding that I just got a package from Stanford inviting me to apply + a letter about the Latino Students Association, similar to the Michigan packet.

I almost got a heart attack when I saw I had something from SLS. Did anyone else get something similar? It seems odd they're only sending this out now


Also just got this but with the BLSA. It also had an application fee wavior application and a bunch of resumes, DS, PS.

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby soca_dancer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:25 pm

CT6 wrote:+1. I'm not really interested in HYS, but it was nice to see this.

usaorbust wrote:
AlPastor wrote:Going to try and get this thread back on topic by adding that I just got a package from Stanford inviting me to apply + a letter about the Latino Students Association, similar to the Michigan packet.

I almost got a heart attack when I saw I had something from SLS. Did anyone else get something similar? It seems odd they're only sending this out now


Also just got this but with the BLSA. It also had an application fee wavior application and a bunch of resumes, DS, PS.


I got this as well a few weeks ago. Im not interested in SLS, but if they are giving you a fee waiver might as well apply.

User avatar
usaorbust
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby usaorbust » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:40 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
CT6 wrote:+1. I'm not really interested in HYS, but it was nice to see this.

usaorbust wrote:
AlPastor wrote:Going to try and get this thread back on topic by adding that I just got a package from Stanford inviting me to apply + a letter about the Latino Students Association, similar to the Michigan packet.

I almost got a heart attack when I saw I had something from SLS. Did anyone else get something similar? It seems odd they're only sending this out now


Also just got this but with the BLSA. It also had an application fee wavior application and a bunch of resumes, DS, PS.


I got this as well a few weeks ago. Im not interested in SLS, but if they are giving you a fee waiver might as well apply.


I think it was just an application for a need based wavier only

User avatar
DorkothyParker
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby DorkothyParker » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:04 pm

AlPastor wrote:Going to try and get this thread back on topic by adding that I just got a package from Stanford inviting me to apply + a letter about the Latino Students Association, similar to the Michigan packet.

I almost got a heart attack when I saw I had something from SLS. Did anyone else get something similar? It seems odd they're only sending this out now


Funny, I got a letter from the Latino LSA at Columbia right when I got home today. Interesting this timing across the board.

damask_rain
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby damask_rain » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:26 am

AlPastor wrote:
principalagent wrote:
principalagent wrote:The one thing I do know is that by the end of this cycle, all of us will be basking in our melanin at the finest institutions of law in the world, and we will have all earned our way in. That's so beautiful to think about, and I can't wait to gas up every single person in this thread over the next few months as our hard work is appreciated by admissions offices across the country!


I'm just going to throw this back and expand on it. Melanin, here, doesn't apply to just the darker skinned URMs (who may or *may not* always get larger "boosts") for the purposes of this statement - it applies to the lightest skinned Latinx to the darkest skinned black person who comes across this thread. Finest institution doesn't just refer to the T13 or T6, but to all the great T1s, regional schools, and anywhere that helps you create the career you want. One of the most passionate attorneys I know went to Thomas Jefferson. Yeah, generally trash, but she worked hard, put in hours, was active in clinics and journals, passed the bar in multiple states, and now *gets paid* to travel across the country working on immigration cases. I will admit, non-begrudgingly, that I sometimes let my own goals shape how I view others', but my *only* goal when creating this thread is to offer an avenue of support and praise for us for the cycle.

I can't speak first-hand to why admissions offices differentiate their readings of Latinx and African/Native American apps. While I have thoughts, I'm going to leave them out of this thread because it isn't the place and I really don't care to have that discussion in this forum (or at all so don't slide into my DMs either). But I'll echo what ljalba is saying and back up that creating a new thread won't solve any problems but will just create another differentiation. Not to mention there are still black people waiting for their first acceptance too, while Latinx people with similar stats to the black folk reaching for the T6 in this thread are also cleaning up right now.

Also want to note a quote of mine from much earlier in the thread where I said that non-URM racial minorities are allowed, and truly welcomed, here, because *all* of us are not represented to our fullest extent in the legal profession - and especially those positions with power - including the Dominicans and the Cubans and the Asian-Americans and the Middle Easterners. Last year's thread and the threads before had people (of all races) griping about not hearing back from Harvard fast enough, and people (again, of all races) wondering if they would make it to the best school in their city. Not always an easy or comfortable conversation to read when that dichotomy got brought up, but people supported each other, still. And it never became a problem of this minority versus that minority, which, honestly, makes me sad that we're here right now.

If there's a serious desire to split the thread, I can go ahead and change the title. I hope that there isn't, though. Black and Latinx (and really, all racial minorities) need each other now more than ever in this country. And I do not think the thread is any different. Because as much as you may be angry/annoyed/offput/whatever at the perceived easier time African Americans have getting into (top) law school(s), there are tons and tons of people outside this forum who are looking at you the same way.


+180

Thank you for this post. I couldn't agree more


This is gold. :) I hope everyone can come to their senses and realize how important this is!

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:24 am

Good luck guys! I'm a 1L from.last cycle. You're all going to do amazing!

User avatar
d_roz21
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby d_roz21 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Checking in! :D

AA woman. I took the September 2017 LSAT. I will be graduating from a large public research university in May 2018. I have decent softs: Legal Assistant at a legal non-profit organization, student member in a three professional organizations for practicing attorneys and law students, Executive Board member in my campus's Pre-Law NBLSA chapter, and I won a couple of awards on my University's Mock Trial team.

I applied to Howard Law today, November 27, 2017. I will be applying to UGA, Emory, and Mercer this week.

Godspeed, everyone!

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby PrezRand » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Anyone here applying for SEO

Mr_Chukes wrote:Good luck guys! I'm a 1L from.last cycle. You're all going to do amazing!


My boy! How are u feeling after that Mase diss track LOL. Hope USC is fun

cprice253
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:05 am

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby cprice253 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:59 pm

usaorbust wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
CT6 wrote:+1. I'm not really interested in HYS, but it was nice to see this.

usaorbust wrote:
AlPastor wrote:Going to try and get this thread back on topic by adding that I just got a package from Stanford inviting me to apply + a letter about the Latino Students Association, similar to the Michigan packet.

I almost got a heart attack when I saw I had something from SLS. Did anyone else get something similar? It seems odd they're only sending this out now


Also just got this but with the BLSA. It also had an application fee wavior application and a bunch of resumes, DS, PS.


I got this as well a few weeks ago. Im not interested in SLS, but if they are giving you a fee waiver might as well apply.


I think it was just an application for a need based wavier only


I also received a package from SLS. Similar to soca_dancer not interested in applying. Still, the package seemed robust to me, with multiple DS and PS included that I had the urge to apply.

Am I wrong to assume from other responses that this is standard mailing on SLS part, similar to what many of us have received from other schools?

User avatar
principalagent
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby principalagent » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:47 pm

PrezRand wrote:Anyone here applying for SEO


I am. Actually submitted my app the other day!

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 pm

PrezRand wrote:Anyone here applying for SEO

Mr_Chukes wrote:Good luck guys! I'm a 1L from.last cycle. You're all going to do amazing!


My boy! How are u feeling after that Mase diss track LOL. Hope USC is fun

Mase lol I'm feeling good man. Joe have you been? Yeah I'm enjoying it but finals are in a week lol.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests