2.9 175 lsat AA female

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
imzadi1111
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:17 pm

2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby imzadi1111 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:42 am

I posted before about this, but i wanted to bump it up as I will be applying this cycle. I was wondering how i can really craft my application to make sense of why my GPA is so bad without making excuses or coming off as lazy. I also want to know how feasible Harvard is. :D

sanzgo
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 11:14 am

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby sanzgo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:00 pm

unless you have a legitimate reason for the 2.9, don't write an addendum unless you're willing to risk lying. (would not recommend btw for various reasons that'll come back to bite you in the ass)

as for your T13 chances:

no chance at HYSCCNP + berkeley + cornell,

above avg chance at virginia with ED

avg chance at michigan; they have a pretty strong 3.0 floor in most cases but since you're AA, idk...

above avg chance at NU if you have WE (don't ED since you'll just be deferred till april which is a disadvantage compared to just RD-ing in the first place)

very low chance at duke; not kind to low GPAs but they do accept <3.0 gpas once in a blue moon. i figure you'd need excellent softs (that doesn't include just being a black female)

you'll most likely get into at least one t13 though. just apply 9/1 and hope for the best

WordPass
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:56 am

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby WordPass » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:07 pm

The above is horrible advice.

You have a shot pretty much everywhere.

Apply to whatever school you'd wanna go to if you can stomach the app fees. Negotiate scholarships when you have those in hand.

Don't listen to anyone who says you shouldn't apply anywhere. They're wrong.

User avatar
Mrs Featherbottom
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby Mrs Featherbottom » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:21 pm

Agree with WordPass. I think your stats are unique enough where I wouldn't count yourself out anywhere.

I would also hesitate before EDing anywhere either. I think your cycle is going to be unpredictable enough where it would be a mistake to lock yourself in anywhere (that being said, I ED'd UVA with somewhat comparable stats and I'm happy with my choice)

sanzgo
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 11:14 am

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby sanzgo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:35 pm

WordPass wrote:The above is horrible advice.

You have a shot pretty much everywhere.

Apply to whatever school you'd wanna go to if you can stomach the app fees. Negotiate scholarships when you have those in hand.

Don't listen to anyone who says you shouldn't apply anywhere. They're wrong.


this kinda of "you go gurl" mentality is not what the OP needs but sure, whatever makes you feel better.

i never said the OP shouldn't apply. i said the OP has no chances at some schools. whether or not the OP wishes to apply and prove me wrong is up to her. who knows, the OP may get into HYS with a 2.9 because she has some godly soft (cured cancer, medal of honor) she didn't mention. from what she has posted, that does not seem to be the case here.

technically speaking, what i should have said was that her chances are so slim for some schools to the point where it really makes no difference.

believe it or not, the advice you're giving the OP is much more dangerous than mine. when you say stuff like "You have a shot pretty much everywhere", you aren't allowing the OP to assess her situation properly. now she's going to think she actually has a shot at harvard and get her hopes up. there's nothing wrong with her applying to harvard (it's her money, she can do whatever she wants with it). but she's in for a rude awakening once she finds out by next May, that *gasp she didn't get into most T-13s. not even being black can completely negate a 2.9 GPA. but as i said, her AA status will give her a strong chance of getting accepted into at least one T-13.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7543
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby Mikey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Image

there isn't much data on there for 2.9/175. regardless of what the limited data says, I think you have a decent shot at some of the top schools. Being AA should help a lot. Splitters are unpredictable, so just apply and see what happens. Good luck!

also, congrats on that killer score!

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby guynourmin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:49 pm

sanzgo wrote:above avg chance at NU if you have WE (don't ED since you'll just be deferred till april which is a disadvantage compared to just RD-ing in the first place)


I'm not sure where this idea comes from - maybe how they did it in old cycles? - but it is wrong. Plenty of ED people were rolled over into RD and then heard back late Jan. I feel like maybe one ED person on here heard back in the first RD wave and then quite a few heard back in the second wave.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5557
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby rpupkin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:56 pm

sanzgo wrote:
WordPass wrote:The above is horrible advice.

You have a shot pretty much everywhere.

Apply to whatever school you'd wanna go to if you can stomach the app fees. Negotiate scholarships when you have those in hand.

Don't listen to anyone who says you shouldn't apply anywhere. They're wrong.


this kinda of "you go gurl" mentality is not what the OP needs but sure, whatever makes you feel better.

I see no "you go gurl" mentality in any of the preceding posts. Other posters suggested that OP apply everywhere in response to your incorrect statement that OP has "no chance at HYSCCNP + berkeley + cornell." You gave lousy advice and now—after others correctly pointed out that you're full of shit—you're doubling down.

User avatar
notsolawful
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:11 pm

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby notsolawful » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:41 pm

guybourdin wrote:
sanzgo wrote:above avg chance at NU if you have WE (don't ED since you'll just be deferred till april which is a disadvantage compared to just RD-ing in the first place)


I'm not sure where this idea comes from - maybe how they did it in old cycles? - but it is wrong. Plenty of ED people were rolled over into RD and then heard back late Jan. I feel like maybe one ED person on here heard back in the first RD wave and then quite a few heard back in the second wave.

Was ED-> RD at NU. I think it helped me get in rather than hurt me.

RedPurpleBlue
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:54 am

notsolawful wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
sanzgo wrote:above avg chance at NU if you have WE (don't ED since you'll just be deferred till april which is a disadvantage compared to just RD-ing in the first place)


I'm not sure where this idea comes from - maybe how they did it in old cycles? - but it is wrong. Plenty of ED people were rolled over into RD and then heard back late Jan. I feel like maybe one ED person on here heard back in the first RD wave and then quite a few heard back in the second wave.

Was ED-> RD at NU. I think it helped me get in rather than hurt me.


I just wanted to chime and say that this was the case for me too. I went ED -> RD, and I feel like it positively affected my application. I was also accepted in the first RD wave. This "you'll be held until April" talk is completely bunk.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1932
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:17 am

sanzgo wrote:unless you have a legitimate reason for the 2.9, don't write an addendum unless you're willing to risk lying. (would not recommend btw for various reasons that'll come back to bite you in the ass)

as for your T13 chances:

no chance at HYSCCNP + berkeley + cornell,

above avg chance at virginia with ED

avg chance at michigan; they have a pretty strong 3.0 floor in most cases but since you're AA, idk...

above avg chance at NU if you have WE (don't ED since you'll just be deferred till april which is a disadvantage compared to just RD-ing in the first place)

very low chance at duke; not kind to low GPAs but they do accept <3.0 gpas once in a blue moon. i figure you'd need excellent softs (that doesn't include just being a black female)

you'll most likely get into at least one t13 though. just apply 9/1 and hope for the best


I don't mean to pile on, but I know two AAs, both with lower GPAs and substantially lower LSAT scores. who have gotten into at least two of the non-UVA/non-Mich schools you mentioned.

OP will undoubtedly be waitlisted at many/most of the T13s, but to say she has "no chance" is just wrong.

WordPass
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:56 am

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby WordPass » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 am

sanzgo wrote:unless you have a legitimate reason for the 2.9, don't write an addendum unless you're willing to risk lying. (would not recommend btw for various reasons that'll come back to bite you in the ass)

as for your T13 chances:

no chance at HYSCCNP + berkeley + cornell,

above avg chance at virginia with ED

avg chance at michigan; they have a pretty strong 3.0 floor in most cases but since you're AA, idk...

above avg chance at NU if you have WE (don't ED since you'll just be deferred till april which is a disadvantage compared to just RD-ing in the first place)

very low chance at duke; not kind to low GPAs but they do accept <3.0 gpas once in a blue moon. i figure you'd need excellent softs (that doesn't include just being a black female)

you'll most likely get into at least one t13 though. just apply 9/1 and hope for the best



Just to reiterate, you advice is just bad. I'm not trying to give anyone an emotional boost by saying she has a shot everywhere. She does. Your advice was just horrible.

Also, you'd still be wrong to say that her chances at the school's you mentioned are so low that she might as well not apply. She does have low chances at some schools, but not low enough to not apply to all the ones you've listed.

A 175 LSAT? A well-written addendum and she will without a doubt be okay.

User avatar
TripleM
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby TripleM » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:37 pm

I'll give you my opinion, which is about as valuable as a campaign promise from Donald Trump. First, some assumptions:

1) Many schools offer fee waivers based on LSAT scores, meaning that at many schools you'll have to pay only the $30 LSAC scam fee for most applications. It isn't free to apply, but darned close.
2) They can't take away your birthday. The worst they can say is "no". This is rarely fatal.
3) The PS can be re-used with little to no effort, the applications take only a little time to fill out.

Basically, I don't think you should spend any more time wondering "how feasible" any particular school is. I'm with the "apply broadly" crowd. It's not that I think that you'll get into all, or even any, of them. I have no idea how they'll view your application. Neither do you. Don't worry about what schools you'll get into, just apply. Let them decide. I'm a firm believer in forcing them to say "no" rather than making it easy for them by not applying to begin with.

As to your other question: I'm of the opinion that one should not include a grade addendum unless one has really exceptional reasons for the poor grades. I believe that addendum is worthwhile when you can make a compelling argument that 1) your poor grades were a reflection of circumstances beyond your control, 2) those circumstances are resolved and 3) it is therefore likely that your law school performance will be much better than your undergrad grades suggest.
In my opinion you shouldn't write an addendum unless ALL THREE are satisfied. Many people will write an addendum arguing that number three is true, but it's not very convincing in the absence of numbers 1 and 2.
I'll give you a couple of illustrations from these boards:

"I was struggling as a STEM major and when I changed to English my grades instantly improved and showed an upwards trend."
I'd argue against this as a good reason to write an addendum. By point:
Fails test 1. Being in the wrong major isn't a circumstance beyond your control, it was a poor decision. Why should they believe that law school isn't going to be STEM major debacle volume two. Your argument basically comes down to, "I made a bad choice before, but this time it's going to be different. Trust me."

"I was diagnosed with cancer in my sophomore year and underwent chemotherapy. I had bad grades during that period but my grades were good before and after that time."
Passes test 1. Clearly cancer and the effects of chemo were beyond the person's control.
Passes test 2. They don't have cancer and they demonstrated that without that burden they were doing well.
The argument is, "Cancer treatment and stress caused cognitive impairments that are no longer present and thus won't effect my law school performance."
I also wouldn't dwell on your grades in your PS.
Essentially you're hoping that a law school will look past your grades at the broader you and see that you're so exceptional that you bring something to their class. I'd focus on what makes you so unique. Make them feel that they HAVE to get to know you.
2.9 is pretty low in the LS world so you may want to mention something that demonstrates that you're a different person but I wouldn't dwell on it. Essentially, you want to acknowledge that you did poorly, that you recognize the mistake and that you've taken steps to change it.

albanach
Posts: 1255
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: 2.9 175 lsat AA female

Postby albanach » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:05 pm

TripleM wrote:Fails test 1. Being in the wrong major isn't a circumstance beyond your control, it was a poor decision. Why should they believe that law school isn't going to be STEM major debacle volume two. Your argument basically comes down to, "I made a bad choice before, but this time it's going to be different. Trust me."


I disagree. That first choice may have been made when the candidate was 16 or 17. Plenty of folk make poor school or course choices, often as a result of family or teacher pressure.

I'd say an addenda is worthwhile if you have a positive grade progression and can explain it or if you have substantive work experience separating you from your GPA. You're not going to be penalized for three paragraphs that provide context to the admissions officer. Something as simple as "I was encouraged to take stem degree by my high school careers adviser. As a first generation college student I initially struggled to master the transition to college. After changing major/finding new resource I was able to consistently improve my grades. This experience taught me a valuable lesson in the need to seek out the many resources available to assist students."

That's completely believable, paints a picture and helps the admissions officer.

Of course, if there's no upwards trend and you don't have any explanation for four years of weak grades, there's not much you can add.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests