Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
latinxlawschool2020
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 am

Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby latinxlawschool2020 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:20 am

So I took the LSAT this past September 2016 and did not do so well BUT applied to schools anyways. Its not that I didn't study hard or smart, I believe that I did, even took the whole summer off, June-Septermber ( even quitting my job) just to study for the test in which I would sit and study for about 6-10 hours a day, every day. I even started studying in Feb which I was working part-time ( purposely took a part time job so I can study). I do have a difficult time concentrating which is why I thought it would be best to take all the time I needed to study. Anyway despite all this effort I still bombed the test :(


I already registered for this coming LSAT --> June 2017 ( I couldn't take Dec or Feb because I had a serious immunodeficiency-- but now recovered )
I just found out that LSAT does accommodations. I was recently diagnosed with PTSD , which would account for my difficulty concentrating. I was only recently able to get professional help because my company provides these benefits ( I am poor and was never provided with these resources before- also mental illness is a myth in my family -- go figure) however I believe this is something that is not entirely new as Ive always had difficulty concentrating.
Although I didn't get accommodations through my schools disability program I feel that I should have. The most I would do though is ask professors if I can sit in the front due to my poor vision/inability to concentrate when in the back of the class. Usually professors were cool with this and didn't refuse my requests.


ANYWAYS .. Does anyone know the process of requesting accommodations, I feel that its too late now considering the test is only a few weeks away but anything would help.

Just some background - I got a 152 on my first LSAT, went to a top school LSAC GPA 3.88

User avatar
twiix
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby twiix » Fri May 19, 2017 7:06 am

Accommodations take a ridiculously long time to get approved. I think you'd be pushing it to get approved by June.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=274665&p=9820469&hilit=accommodations#p9820469

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=217841&p=7142620&hilit=accommodations#p7142620

User avatar
TripleM
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby TripleM » Fri May 19, 2017 1:02 pm

I'd strongly urge you to postpone your test if you aren't granted accommodations. It sounds like you'd really benefit from the accommodations. There's no reason to put yourself through the stress of another test. I worry that you'll start having a negative association with test day if you end up with another poor score.

I'd also ask your medical support for some test-specific help. If they can't get you help, ask them to help you find someone who can. It would be helpful if you could take a practice test in the presence of someone who's an expert on these things and who might be able to give you specific tools for working through your issues.

I'd also see if there is a reputable non-profit disability advocate in the area that might be able to help you understand what language will most likely be successful in making your request.

Long story short, this is a marathon. Don't rush it. The issue I see is that if you aren't able to boost your LSAT, you may find that law schools will be skeptical about your ability to be successful in the context of law school. I think that given practice, support and accommodations you can slay that concern up front. As a bonus, you actually will be better prepared to succeed in law school.

albanach
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby albanach » Fri May 19, 2017 1:16 pm

latinxlawschool2020 wrote:
Just some background - I got a 152 on my first LSAT, went to a top school LSAC GPA 3.88


What were your timed and untimed, test-condition practice scores? That's necessary information for anyone here to know if you underperformed.

User avatar
it's allgood
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby it's allgood » Fri May 19, 2017 1:28 pm

It is too late to get an accommodation for the June 2017 LSAT--the deadline was May 3rd. You can find out what documentation is necessary and the deadline for accommodation requests here: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodated-testing

User avatar
it's allgood
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby it's allgood » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

TWiiX wrote:Accommodations take a ridiculously long time to get approved. I think you'd be pushing it to get approved by June.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=274665&p=9820469&hilit=accommodations#p9820469

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=217841&p=7142620&hilit=accommodations#p7142620


Actually, LSAC generally gives a response to accommodation requests within 14 business days. If anything is denied, you have 4 days to appeal. But you must meet their deadline for submission of the request and be registered already for the test you are requesting accommodation for.

latinxlawschool2020
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 am

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby latinxlawschool2020 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm

TripleM wrote:I'd strongly urge you to postpone your test if you aren't granted accommodations. It sounds like you'd really benefit from the accommodations. There's no reason to put yourself through the stress of another test. I worry that you'll start having a negative association with test day if you end up with another poor score.

I'd also ask your medical support for some test-specific help. If they can't get you help, ask them to help you find someone who can. It would be helpful if you could take a practice test in the presence of someone who's an expert on these things and who might be able to give you specific tools for working through your issues.

I'd also see if there is a reputable non-profit disability advocate in the area that might be able to help you understand what language will most likely be successful in making your request.

Long story short, this is a marathon. Don't rush it. The issue I see is that if you aren't able to boost your LSAT, you may find that law schools will be skeptical about your ability to be successful in the context of law school. I think that given practice, support and accommodations you can slay that concern up front. As a bonus, you actually will be better prepared to succeed in law school.



Thank you for this! I might just consider waiting this one out as I fear without accommodation I will do poorly again ( though I am trying to stay optimistic as much as I can- and I am studying with a private tutor) .The psychiatrist I am seeing works specifically with students so maybe he can make recommendations.

Yes, Law schools put so much weight on the LSAT and I know I can succeed in Law school, l've done very well at my college. I was waitlisted at many great schools -- Columbia, Chicago, UPenn, UT, UCLA but my LSAT is killing me and I am doing all I can to overcome this LSAT-- I wish schools can see how hard I am trying to master this 3hr test.

latinxlawschool2020
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 am

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby latinxlawschool2020 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:39 pm

albanach wrote:
latinxlawschool2020 wrote:
Just some background - I got a 152 on my first LSAT, went to a top school LSAC GPA 3.88


What were your timed and untimed, test-condition practice scores? That's necessary information for anyone here to know if you underperformed.



I was averaging 162-165 when timed the regular ~3hrs, but I'd sit in a quiet very room alone which would help (sometimes take additional breaks) , or sit in front of my TestMasters Class to minimize distraction- I notified my LSAT instructor my need to minimize distractions as much as I can - though she just told me I'd have to deal with it durning test day anyways. Its so mentally exhausting to focus for that long without drifting, had to pinch myself on occasion to stay focused( its my anxiety tick) but I was doing somewhat decent with the LSAT, I understand the material- been studying for over 9 months.

During my actual LSAT I was not able to get a front seat which really sucked and ( though this was not under anyones control ) there were sirens outside for a good 10 mins, took me about 20 mins just to calm down.

User avatar
twiix
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby twiix » Fri May 19, 2017 2:49 pm

it's allgood wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Accommodations take a ridiculously long time to get approved. I think you'd be pushing it to get approved by June.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=274665&p=9820469&hilit=accommodations#p9820469

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=217841&p=7142620&hilit=accommodations#p7142620


Actually, LSAC generally gives a response to accommodation requests within 14 business days. If anything is denied, you have 4 days to appeal. But you must meet their deadline for submission of the request and be registered already for the test you are requesting accommodation for.


I'd say 3 weeks is a long time personally...that would leave what, 1 week to spare before june test? Cuttin it a little close imo

latinxlawschool2020
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 am

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby latinxlawschool2020 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 pm

TWiiX wrote:
it's allgood wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Accommodations take a ridiculously long time to get approved. I think you'd be pushing it to get approved by June.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=274665&p=9820469&hilit=accommodations#p9820469

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=217841&p=7142620&hilit=accommodations#p7142620


Actually, LSAC generally gives a response to accommodation requests within 14 business days. If anything is denied, you have 4 days to appeal. But you must meet their deadline for submission of the request and be registered already for the test you are requesting accommodation for.


I'd say 3 weeks is a long time personally...that would leave what, 1 week to spare before june test? Cuttin it a little close imo


I think I'll still see what I can do, if not postpone taking it. Though I was favoring June test because its at noon rather than in the morning

User avatar
it's allgood
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Need Advise- retaking the LSAT/Accommodations

Postby it's allgood » Sun May 21, 2017 10:58 am

TWiiX wrote:
it's allgood wrote:
TWiiX wrote:Accommodations take a ridiculously long time to get approved. I think you'd be pushing it to get approved by June.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=274665&p=9820469&hilit=accommodations#p9820469

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=217841&p=7142620&hilit=accommodations#p7142620


Actually, LSAC generally gives a response to accommodation requests within 14 business days. If anything is denied, you have 4 days to appeal. But you must meet their deadline for submission of the request and be registered already for the test you are requesting accommodation for.


I'd say 3 weeks is a long time personally...that would leave what, 1 week to spare before june test? Cuttin it a little close imo


The deadline for accommodation for the June 2017 test was May 3rd.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests