How many of you transfer? Is it feasible?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Jimlaw123

How many of you transfer? Is it feasible?

Postby Jimlaw123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 pm

I have a question,

How is the transfer process? For instance if you didn't get into a school of your choosing, but you attend another Law School, is it common to transfer out after the first year? How does that affect job prospects? Is it common? Is it hard to do? Is the new school "inviting" to the notion? As this is something I may due if I have to attend school in the "East Coast", I may very well transfer back to a University in the West, as I plan to live here, and hopefully practice here. Well, let me know.

Thanks.

grades??

Re: How many of you transfer? Is it feasible?

Postby grades?? » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Dont go to a law school with the intention to transfer. It is nothing like undergrad transferring. It requires top grades from your school to even be a possibility. Then you might get rejected. But if you do get accepted, you will be paying full price. There aren't scholarships for transfers.

DO NOT GO TO A SCHOOL WITH THE INTENT OF TRANSFERRING.

Jimlaw123

Postby Jimlaw123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:33 pm

grades?? wrote:Dont go to a law school with the intention to transfer. It is nothing like undergrad transferring. It requires top grades from your school to even be a possibility. Then you might get rejected. But if you do get accepted, you will be paying full price. There aren't scholarships for transfers.

Dang, I didn't realize it was like that. Sheesh.

grades??

Postby grades?? » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:38 pm

Jimlaw123 wrote:
grades?? wrote:Dont go to a law school with the intention to transfer. It is nothing like undergrad transferring. It requires top grades from your school to even be a possibility. Then you might get rejected. But if you do get accepted, you will be paying full price. There aren't scholarships for transfers.

Dang, I didn't realize it was like that. Sheesh.

Yeah transferring is not easy, and even more importantly, its super expensive. You will be paying full price for both years wherever you transfer.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:34 am

As a side note, it seems that the "URM boost" does not apply to the same extent it does in 1L admissions. Perhaps there's a slight nod, but you don't see URMs significantly overperforming their grades in transfer season.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:31 am

The biggest problem with transferring up is that a necessary condition for doing so is that you're in a top tier situation at your current school. By leaving that situation you lose all the benefits that come from a stellar 1L year at that school and go somewhere else where you don't have those grades, networking connections, and relationships that will help you get a job. And yes, you will likely pay full cost at your new school. Maybe that's the biggest problem? Either way, don't go somewhere intending on transferring.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”