Chance me AA female 175 Lsat

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
imzadi1111

Chance me AA female 175 Lsat

Postby imzadi1111 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi,

I'm an AA female with a 175 LSAT (yes i have taken it). The problem is that my undergraduate GPA is 2.9. My softs are that i'm fluent in french and have upper level proficiency in spanish and portuguese. I have studied and taught for the past ~2 years in Europe. What are my chances at any T14 schools? I'm interested in Upenn,Columbia, and Berkeley. Is HLS out of the question?

Alpal29

Re: Chance me AA female 175 Lsat

Postby Alpal29 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Unfortunately there isn't going to be a lot of data points for your gpa/lsat. I would honestly apply to the entire T14 and the regionals you're interested in. I will be shocked if you don't get a bite from at least a few of T14 with money.

YBF-W

Postby YBF-W » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:36 pm

What a beautiful LSAT score!

What contributed to your low gpa? Having a compelling reason might help a bit.

I would see if there's lsn data for people who aren't necessarily urms and have similar scores. And then hope to be able to do at least a little better.

Also, there's a thread around here showing 60k+ scholarships for urms admitted into t14s that had numbers worse or comparable to yours.
Last edited by YBF-W on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:40 pm

imzadi1111 wrote:Hi,

I'm an AA female with a 175 LSAT (yes i have taken it). The problem is that my undergraduate GPA is 2.9. My softs are that i'm fluent in french and have upper level proficiency in spanish and portuguese. I have studied and taught for the past ~2 years in Europe. What are my chances at any T14 schools? I'm interested in Upenn,Columbia, and Berkeley. Is HLS out of the question?

There is not any school where you are "out". But there is not school where you are for sure "in" among the top 5-6 schools. It sucks, but you basically gotta blanket the top 14.

lnsl123

Postby lnsl123 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laqueredup

Postby laqueredup » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Slightly lower GPA and LSAT, non URM, but more WE and strong softs: in at T-14s from Penn on down. I had no idea what my odds would be either because there really is limited data available for such extreme splitters, so I applied broadly to everywhere I would consider going, including the very long shot at HYS. I've been pleasantly surprised so far, and I'm still waiting to hear back from the T6 schools that I applied to. I think when you are such an outlier, how you tell your story and relate your softs may matter more than for most applicants.

Postby 20170322 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:09 pm

I'd say apply to every t14, plus any t20's that you'd like, plus maybe WUSTL to have a for sure full ride to negotiate with. With a situation like yours, applying widely is the only way to go.

canoe

Postby canoe » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:22 pm

laqueredup wrote:

Slightly lower GPA and LSAT, non URM, but more WE and strong softs: in at T-14s from Penn on down. I had no idea what my odds would be either because there really is limited data available for such extreme splitters, so I applied broadly to everywhere I would consider going, including the very long shot at HYS. I've been pleasantly surprised so far, and I'm still waiting to hear back from the T6 schools that I applied to. I think when you are such an outlier, how you tell your story and relate your softs may matter more than for most applicants.

holy shit you had a gpa lower than 2.9 and got into Penn? What were the other T-14s if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you want.

imzadi1111

Postby imzadi1111 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:47 pm

YBF-W wrote:What a beautiful LSAT score!

What contributed to your low gpa? Having a compelling reason might help a bit.

I would see if there's lsn data for people who aren't necessarily urms and have similar scores. And then hope to be able to do at least a little better.

Also, there's a thread around here showing 60k+ scholarships for urms admitted into t14s that had numbers worse or comparable to yours.

The GPA issues were due to my course of study. My undergraduate major was dance (yea i know) so there was way more emphasis placed on working outside of school and performing and less emphasis on academics. Compounded on top of that I suffered from several different undiagnosed mental disorders that made classes difficult to handle when i first got to school. I have a pretty distinct upward trend towards the end of my studies, though.

laqueredup

Postby laqueredup » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:36 am

Focus on the strengths you bring to the table in your application and write an addendum for the gpa. Apply broadly and see what happens.

theventriloquist

Postby theventriloquist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 pm

laqueredup wrote:

Wow, congrats! If I may ask, did you get any scholarships?

malysh

Postby malysh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Apply everywhere top 20. Being a urm with a 175 even with that gpa you'll get a lot of $ from at least a couple. I honestly wouldn't count you out of Harvard either. You add diversity while boosting lsat and a lot of schools will overlook gpa for that. Congrats!

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”