LGBTQ C/O 2020 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Monday

Silver

Re: LGBT C/O 2020

Post by Monday » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cmt11

New

Post by cmt11 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Super queer and super in....to at least 1 school cause I'm a very late applicant. 8)

On a side note: it was awesome to be able to open a drop down menu and choose cis-gender. Maybe it's the activist in me, but I felt like popping a bottle of champagne and joy-crying all at once.
KateMcKitten wrote:
minkbrigade wrote:(aka a huge dyke)
I hope to god you used that phrase in your DS. :lol:
minkbrigade wrote:I am curious, though, if folks know if there is any sort of bump for being queer?
My girlfriend, a 1L at HLS, claims that they do see gayness as a facet of your diversity. Not to the degree of being an URM, of course, but as in "Oh, a poor lesbian from the South, we could use one of those."
Was also wondering about this so thanks for the clarification. Put myself on a google hiatus before and while doing apps and had no idea schools asked this stuff.

LenasLuthors

New

Post by LenasLuthors » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:59 pm

For real though, is anyone legitimately considering the LGBTQ atmosphere or is it more of an afterthought for you?

I saw this old thread from 2009 that stated that "Cornell Law has 15 openly gay people in its class of 2012. Pretty large percentage considering they only have 190 people a class.

Vanderbilt Law, in case anyone is curious, has 4 openly gay students in the entire school." [link][http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=89506]

I'm pretty used to being in the small minority, and while I would probably prefer the atmosphere of NYU/Berkeley/etc. to UVA, I don't think that there is anything academically different about UVA, and I am totally willing to engage in debate. However, from a personal perspective, for those of you that haven't met the other part to your power couple, or those that have but are seeking LGBTQ friendship, -- how big of a deal is the atmosphere of the law school to you? And/or the surrounding city? I'm guessing that there is usually a difference between the law school itself and the area surrounding it, but that also depends on how much you will interact with people outside of the law school.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 pm

LenasLuthors wrote:For real though, is anyone legitimately considering the LGBTQ atmosphere or is it more of an afterthought for you?

I saw this old thread from 2009 that stated that "Cornell Law has 15 openly gay people in its class of 2012. Pretty large percentage considering they only have 190 people a class.

Vanderbilt Law, in case anyone is curious, has 4 openly gay students in the entire school." [link][http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hp?t=89506]

I'm pretty used to being in the small minority, and while I would probably prefer the atmosphere of NYU/Berkeley/etc. to UVA, I don't think that there is anything academically different about UVA, and I am totally willing to engage in debate. However, from a personal perspective, for those of you that haven't met the other part to your power couple, or those that have but are seeking LGBTQ friendship, -- how big of a deal is the atmosphere of the law school to you? And/or the surrounding city? I'm guessing that there is usually a difference between the law school itself and the area surrounding it, but that also depends on how much you will interact with people outside of the law school.
I dont really care about the other students as much as I care about the surrounding area, NYC, philly, or ithaca for me. Although I do have a long term girlfriend already so that might be part of it. Not sure I'd want to date another law student though, sounds like an uncomfortable next few years if things dont work out.

My undergraduate was super weird in that like 50% of my major was queer in some way so maybe I'm underestimating how important that is to me.

LenasLuthors

New

Post by LenasLuthors » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:47 pm

snarfing wrote:
LenasLuthors wrote:For real though, is anyone legitimately considering the LGBTQ atmosphere or is it more of an afterthought for you?

I dont really care about the other students as much as I care about the surrounding area, NYC, philly, or ithaca for me. Although I do have a long term girlfriend already so that might be part of it. Not sure I'd want to date another law student though, sounds like an uncomfortable next few years if things dont work out.

My undergraduate was super weird in that like 50% of my major was queer in some way so maybe I'm underestimating how important that is to me.
I hear you. That is why I made the comment that academically I don't necessarily see a difference (besides perhaps just speaking up more constantly). I think most people at the T14 schools though are probably willing to engage in discussion, it may just be that sometimes they might not have heard/seen diverse perspectives (I think the same can be said for me on numerous issues that I am likely ignorant on, but in general am open to learning/listening).

Interesting on the 50% queer in your major. As a STEM person, I am often the only girl ... let alone the only LGBTQ person so it has just sort have become the norm to me.

Unlike you I am single, and a bit older on the spectrum, so the potential to meet someone is important to me. I think that I agree that maybe it would be best to meet that someone outside of the law school. However, I guess I am just not sure how realistic it is to assume that you can be kicking ass in law school and meeting people around town, especially if they are scarce. If I were 22 I probably wouldn't really worry.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:47 am

LenasLuthors wrote:
snarfing wrote:

I hear you. That is why I made the comment that academically I don't necessarily see a difference (besides perhaps just speaking up more constantly). I think most people at the T14 schools though are probably willing to engage in discussion, it may just be that sometimes they might not have heard/seen diverse perspectives (I think the same can be said for me on numerous issues that I am likely ignorant on, but in general am open to learning/listening).

Interesting on the 50% queer in your major. As a STEM person, I am often the only girl ... let alone the only LGBTQ person so it has just sort have become the norm to me.

Unlike you I am single, and a bit older on the spectrum, so the potential to meet someone is important to me. I think that I agree that maybe it would be best to meet that someone outside of the law school. However, I guess I am just not sure how realistic it is to assume that you can be kicking ass in law school and meeting people around town, especially if they are scarce. If I were 22 I probably wouldn't really worry.
I am actually a chemistry major, stem majors unite!

Yeah while I love my current institution its somewhat of an echo chamber in that all my friends have almost the same ideals. I'd love to get into some civil debates where I'm not playing the devil's advocate on something on where a pie ends and a cake begins.

I'm not sure how comfortable with it you are, but theres always tinder or something like okcupid for getting dates without having to meet people in person. Seems like itd come in handy during law school. But I think with the workload it would be hard to meet someone outside of law school in person, might depend on the person though, I'm not crazy extroverted.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm

sfn91 wrote:I just have to say KateMcKitten is the best screen name I've seen in a long time. If I were a cat person, I'd steal that name in a second haha.
I could just kiss your face--thank you for helping relieve my waiting anxiety with compliments. :lol:

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:29 pm

I literally haven't even thought about it, outside of seeing what kind of LGBTQ classes/organizations they have. I assumed that, as we're 10% of the population (and many of us with an intense need to overachieve/prove ourselves), I would find LGBTQ people anywhere I went (particularly because I love big schools and big cities). Now I'm worried I may be overestimating... I may start to collect the stats of various schools on this thread.
snarfing wrote: My undergraduate was super weird in that like 50% of my major was queer in some way so maybe I'm underestimating how important that is to me.
*raises hand* As a theatre major in undergrad...I feel you. I went from theatre-->NYC+theatre, so I think I do take queerness around me for granted. Going to go drown my fears of being the only queer person in my class at Cubbyhole, brb.

minkbrigade

New

Post by minkbrigade » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:30 pm

snarfing wrote: I dont really care about the other students as much as I care about the surrounding area, NYC, philly, or ithaca for me.
Same, but maybe without the preference for Ithaca--I've lived in a college town for too long, and would loooove a dating scene that isn't a vortex of college students and recent graduates.

Also, real question: are the LGBTQ student orgs just social spaces? // Are they """gay""" (in a normative white boy gunning for BigLaw) space or queer? (paging
KateMcKitten wrote:
and your HLS gf...)

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:41 pm

minkbrigade wrote: Also, real question: are the LGBTQ student orgs just social spaces? // Are they """gay""" (in a normative white boy gunning for BigLaw) space or queer? (paging
KateMcKitten wrote:
and your HLS gf...)
#HLSGF: Eh it's a lot of cis white femme gay dudes mostly. Generally social spaces

Sounds like H's is a """gay""" social space. Although if enough of us band together at one school we could totally add some variety. :idea:

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 pm

I am, but only because I'm looking at a few schools in the South, and I'm looking mostly at safety, rather than "is there an active OUTLaw chapter."

minkbrigade

New

Post by minkbrigade » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:54 pm

KateMcKitten wrote: #HLSGF: Eh it's a lot of cis white femme gay dudes mostly. Generally social spaces

Sounds like H's is a """gay""" social space. Although if enough of us band together at one school we could totally add some variety. :idea:
Ugh, not a big surprise but still a little disappointing. :? It's definitely time to create a Lavendar Menace-esque contingent of all these OUTNow chapters...

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:59 pm

floatie wrote: I am, but only because I'm looking at a few schools in the South, and I'm looking mostly at safety, rather than "is there an active OUTLaw chapter."
As a Southern queer...this is an excellent thing to consider. I would look at the city/area's safety rather than the school, though.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
floatie wrote: I am, but only because I'm looking at a few schools in the South, and I'm looking mostly at safety, rather than "is there an active OUTLaw chapter."
As a Southern queer...this is an excellent thing to consider. I would look at the city/area's safety rather than the school, though.
Right, that's what I meant. So far, I think most of the cities I'm looking at are reasonably safe (Nashville and Atlanta in particular)

haratara

New

Post by haratara » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Gay at UMich? Does anyone have any insight? Broad question I know.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:08 pm

haratara wrote:Gay at UMich? Does anyone have any insight? Broad question I know.
lol UMich was voted the "gayest law school" a couple years ago in one of those meaningless Princeton Review polls. It took me aback but considering some of the work being done there and the town of Ann Arbor, I was suddenly a lot less surprised. It's... pretty gay.

ETA: Also, when I met Dean Z the first time I asked basically the same thing and she laughed at me and was like "you must not know us"

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:11 pm

floatie wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
Right, that's what I meant. So far, I think most of the cities I'm looking at are reasonably safe (Nashville and Atlanta in particular)
I've spent too many summers in Atl, and while it's certainly a different feel than NYC, it's nothing like middle-of-nowhere GA. It's pretty great at Emory. Vandy is a similar situation, I just don't like Nashville nearly as much :P

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

cmt11

New

Post by cmt11 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:59 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
I literally haven't even thought about it, outside of seeing what kind of LGBTQ classes/organizations they have. I assumed that, as we're 10% of the population (and many of us with an intense need to overachieve/prove ourselves), I would find LGBTQ people anywhere I went (particularly because I love big schools and big cities). Now I'm worried I may be overestimating... I may start to collect the stats of various schools on this thread.
I was thinking along these lines. But then again I'm not from the most diverse place so it's not like the gay scene is thriving. I can truly only go up from here. Plus I imagine I'll be thoroughly focused on school.

I also wouldn't say I was really considering the queer community as much as I was really picking schools based on how comfortable I would feel moving outside the city, since I'm definitely not a city girl long-term. If I am going to spend time making connections, then I'm going to a school in an area I can be happy growing roots. I have applied to some schools in Texas and one in the southeast, but I find myself thinking of what happens 5 years after I graduate when I head outside any metropolitan area. Who would be my neighbor? If I have kids down the line, who is with them in school? And that is weighing on me.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 pm

cmt11 wrote:But then again I'm not from the most diverse place so it's not like the gay scene is thriving. I can truly only go up from here.
Oh, look, the mantra that got me through high school and college :lol:

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Monday wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
cmt11 wrote:But then again I'm not from the most diverse place so it's not like the gay scene is thriving. I can truly only go up from here.
Oh, look, the mantra that got me through high school and college :lol:
"It gets better."
Time for us to make an inspirational video, y'all.

miss.nomer

New

Post by miss.nomer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:00 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
snarfing wrote: My undergraduate was super weird in that like 50% of my major was queer in some way so maybe I'm underestimating how important that is to me.
*raises hand* As a theatre major in undergrad...I feel you. I went from theatre-->NYC+theatre, so I think I do take queerness around me for granted. Going to go drown my fears of being the only queer person in my class at Cubbyhole, brb.
ahahaha. I've lived in NYC my entire life and the prospect of potentially leaving the city for LS (for a catholic affiliated school, no less!) has given Cubbyhole a new sense of reverence for me. I appreciate the ceiling more...the $2 lighter fluid margaritas...the clearly underage college queers...oof.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:07 pm

miss.nomer wrote:
ahahaha. I've lived in NYC my entire life and the prospect of potentially leaving the city for LS (for a catholic affiliated school, no less!) has given Cubbyhole a new sense of reverence for me. I appreciate the ceiling more...the $2 lighter fluid margaritas...the clearly underage college queers...oof.
The gaybie invasion of the Cubbyhole is real, but yeah. I, too, am letting LS sorta help me claw my way out of NYC.

Those margaritas...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”