Opinions/Stats....help Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sval_

New

Opinions/Stats....help

Post by sval_ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:11 pm

First post on this site, but I'm a frequent lurker. Looking for some help gauging my chances or acceptance/money at some T14s or T20; this could be through numbers and stats or merely from yalls impression/opinions. I'm a Texas resident, and Texans love Texas, so I'd say my first choice is UT. I could, of course, be persuaded to leave. I suppose. Maybe. Haha. Also interested in Georgetown and Notthwestern.

So, I'm an LGBT AA female, 3.37 UGPA, I've not taken the LSAT yet, but will in a few months. Also a teacher. I don't have many softs, as I have worked full time my entire undergrad, and thus, haven't honestly had much time for extracurriculars and such. I've just begun to lement this. I'm in the process of setting up a volunteer internship at a firm this summer. Will that look good? I've also been on a study abroad trip lol. Trying to include as much info as possible here.

I know this is mostly guesswork with me not having an LSAT score yet. Just wanting something to think about.

I guess my question is with a good enough score, how likely is acceptance and/or money from a T14? What number should I be aiming for? How important are softs? Should I be aiming lower? Higher?

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Opinions/Stats....help

Post by dietcoke1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:25 pm

very difficult to give you advice on which schools you should aim for without an LSAT score. as far as what score you should aim for, you should shoot for a 180. You will get a boost for being a URM but don't rely on that boost for now. Try and get the best LSAT score you can.

softs usually don't make a significant impact unless the soft is BIG (nobel peace prize/Donald trump's kid/etc)

If your aiming to practice in Texas then UT is probably a really good option for you considering the in-state tuition price but the goal should be to get in and also receive a sizable scholarship. but for now, just focus on crushing the LSAT!

sval_

New

Re: Opinions/Stats....help

Post by sval_ » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:43 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:very difficult to give you advice on which schools you should aim for without an LSAT score. as far as what score you should aim for, you should shoot for a 180. You will get a boost for being a URM but don't rely on that boost for now. Try and get the best LSAT score you can.

softs usually don't make a significant impact unless the soft is BIG (nobel peace prize/Donald trump's kid/etc)

If your aiming to practice in Texas then UT is probably a really good option for you considering the in-state tuition price but the goal should be to get in and also receive a sizable scholarship. but for now, just focus on crushing the LSAT!
Crush the LSAT. Got it! Thanks for the reply and advice! Aiming to take the LSAT in the summer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”