URM African American Males

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
willmarl
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:45 pm

URM African American Males

Postby willmarl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm

I've heard that URM's are looked at differently in the admissions process because some Law Schools want diversity in their school's. I wanted to know how or what they do in the process of reviewing applications? I've heard rumors that they give LSAT boost and GPA boost to students that are URM. I'm a Black Male and I wanted to know if it's a point boost to the LSAT or something like that? Like a 5 point boost???

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Yep. great boost. get a 170 and you're in everywhere

willmarl
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby willmarl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:16 pm

My First score was 148. So idk about Top tier schools. But if I'm URM does that make it go to like 153??

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:27 pm

I'll be totally honest and say I have no idea how useful/quantifiable of a boost it would be in that score bracket.

Maybe someone else here will know.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Mr_Chukes » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:41 pm

willmarl wrote:My First score was 148. So idk about Top tier schools. But if I'm URM does that make it go to like 153??

Nobody knows how much the boost is. It probably is different from school to school.

uhwrestler
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby uhwrestler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:17 pm

ive heard the average boost is about 7 points for urm aa males.....urm aa males get the highest boost

165 lsat with a gpa above 3.5 should make a contender everywhere barring yale and stanford

167 -170 should get you in everywhere with money

User avatar
hammy393
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby hammy393 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:26 pm

uhwrestler wrote:ive heard the average boost is about 7 points for urm aa males.....urm aa males get the highest boost

165 lsat with a gpa above 3.5 should make a contender everywhere barring yale and stanford

167 -170 should get you in everywhere with money


Yea it's about a 7 point boost for AAs

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby PrezRand » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:36 pm

So a 167 would basically be a 174 for an AA male?

User avatar
poptart123
Posts: 1125
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby poptart123 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:43 pm


User avatar
Incrementalist
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 am

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Incrementalist » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:44 am

I have always thought that a score of at least 160 was good. Though everyone should approach the LSAT with the mindset of achieving a 180 despite receiving a boost in the admissions process. I think it changes from year to year though the score differential that is.

lnsl123
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:11 pm

.
Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:23 pm

lnsl123 wrote:It seems to me that a majority of AA applicants who are admitted to top schools are admitted because of their GPAs vs. LSAT.

I can see that. GPA has a more significant impact.

lnsl123
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:43 pm

.
Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:01 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:It seems to me that a majority of AA applicants who are admitted to top schools are admitted because of their GPAs vs. LSAT.

I can see that. GPA has a more significant impact.


What do you mean by that? Like because they're more common than a high LSAT score?

I think the average GPA for AA Males is sub 3.0. Average LSAT score is in the 140s.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby PrezRand » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:01 pm

URM AAs who are accepted to t14s and schools like UT/USC/UCLA/Vandy and etc normally have high GPAs and low LSATs relative to Non-URM students who are accepted. Basically reverse splitters. It would be easier to get into Yale as an AA with a 4.0 GPA and a 163 LSAT versus a 3.3 GPA and a 178

lnsl123
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:24 pm

.
Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
usaorbust
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby usaorbust » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:42 pm

lnsl123 wrote: and the LSAT is predictive of bar exam performance.


I am pretty sure this is not the case. Or at least there is a strong indication that is is not the case.

lnsl123
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:48 pm

.
Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
lnsl123 wrote: and the LSAT is predictive of bar exam performance.


I am pretty sure this is not the case. Or at least there is a strong indication that is is not the case.


Perhaps I would use a word other than 'predictive', but I think as a 0L, your LSAT has a stronger relation to bar passage than GPA.

Probably not. GPA shows you are willing to work hard and learn all through college. The same dedication you can put towards law school. There are many variables that can mess you up on the LSAT.

lnsl123
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 pm

.
Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:18 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
lnsl123 wrote: and the LSAT is predictive of bar exam performance.


I am pretty sure this is not the case. Or at least there is a strong indication that is is not the case.


Perhaps I would use a word other than 'predictive', but I think as a 0L, your LSAT has a stronger relation to bar passage than GPA.

Probably not. GPA shows you are willing to work hard and learn all through college. The same dedication you can put towards law school. There are many variables that can mess you up on the LSAT.


And there are many variables, perhaps far more, that can affect your GPA. For example, one's undergraduate experience varies greatly from school to school. Some schools have grade inflation. Some have grade deflation. The experience of being AA at the University of Chicago is very different from being AA at Morehouse.

Also, your GPA is a reflection of what classes you took. Perhaps your coursework was generally more intense or challenging than someone else's. Perhaps your school has a core curriculum that includes subjects that you are particularly gifted or not gifted in. Perhaps your school is just notorious for being academically intense with grade deflation, on the quarter system in a city with brutally depressing winters.

My point is that the LSAT is pretty uniform, whereas GPA is not. What does it mean to have a 3.8 GPA from [insert school]? I don't know unless I went there. I know what a 168 on the LSAT means.

a 3.8 is a 3.8 anywhere. If the school is an accredited school. It doesn't matter.

lnsl123
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby lnsl123 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:23 pm

.
Last edited by lnsl123 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:30 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
lnsl123 wrote: and the LSAT is predictive of bar exam performance.


I am pretty sure this is not the case. Or at least there is a strong indication that is is not the case.


Perhaps I would use a word other than 'predictive', but I think as a 0L, your LSAT has a stronger relation to bar passage than GPA.

Probably not. GPA shows you are willing to work hard and learn all through college. The same dedication you can put towards law school. There are many variables that can mess you up on the LSAT.


And there are many variables, perhaps far more, that can affect your GPA. For example, one's undergraduate experience varies greatly from school to school. Some schools have grade inflation. Some have grade deflation. The experience of being AA at the University of Chicago is very different from being AA at Morehouse.

Also, your GPA is a reflection of what classes you took. Perhaps your coursework was generally more intense or challenging than someone else's. Perhaps your school has a core curriculum that includes subjects that you are particularly gifted or not gifted in. Perhaps your school is just notorious for being academically intense with grade deflation, on the quarter system in a city with brutally depressing winters.

My point is that the LSAT is pretty uniform, whereas GPA is not. What does it mean to have a 3.8 GPA from [insert school]? I don't know unless I went there. I know what a 168 on the LSAT means.

a 3.8 is a 3.8 anywhere. If the school is an accredited school. It doesn't matter.


Yeah, you're right.

They might just look at it at 3.8 vs 3.8 when they have two people who have similar stats, but I don't think it would be a significant factor. Softs would probably take more priority.

User avatar
laqueredup
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 am

Re: URM African American Males

Postby laqueredup » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:33 pm

.
Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: URM African American Males

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:35 pm

lnsl123 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
lnsl123 wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
lnsl123 wrote: and the LSAT is predictive of bar exam performance.


I am pretty sure this is not the case. Or at least there is a strong indication that is is not the case.


Perhaps I would use a word other than 'predictive', but I think as a 0L, your LSAT has a stronger relation to bar passage than GPA.

Probably not. GPA shows you are willing to work hard and learn all through college. The same dedication you can put towards law school. There are many variables that can mess you up on the LSAT.


And there are many variables, perhaps far more, that can affect your GPA. For example, one's undergraduate experience varies greatly from school to school. Some schools have grade inflation. Some have grade deflation. The experience of being AA at the University of Chicago is very different from being AA at Morehouse.

Also, your GPA is a reflection of what classes you took. Perhaps your coursework was generally more intense or challenging than someone else's. Perhaps your school has a core curriculum that includes subjects that you are particularly gifted or not gifted in. Perhaps your school is just notorious for being academically intense with grade deflation, on the quarter system in a city with brutally depressing winters.

My point is that the LSAT is pretty uniform, whereas GPA is not. What does it mean to have a 3.8 GPA from [insert school]? I don't know unless I went there. I know what a 168 on the LSAT means.


While I would agree that *in general* the LSAT is a good indicator of your general capabilities (excluding the fact that someone who has no job/a semester off/still in school has way more time to prepare than someone working a full time job and that some are far better at standardized tests than others), I think my GPA is far more indicative of my ability to perform.

I say that with a 3.9x in engineering from a good engineering school. But, I wouldn't look at a 3.9x in underwater basketweaving as indicative of a strong possibility they will succeed in law school/other higher education. I would see that as a strong indication that they were able to show up at class and weave a basket under water.




Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests