2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
lilitiger99

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby lilitiger99 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 pm

smilingorch wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:Do any of y'all also not have head shots? I'm stuck on the "professional" head shot thing..


I got a friend to take a picture of me against a white wall in my workplace while wearing a work outfit. It really was shoulders up only anyway. I would think a pic good enough for LinkedIn should be fine? They did say it was for internal purposes only so they could remember your face when deciding. I think they just don't want a party pic of you.


this one is for the firms! it says in the new email. I had my linked in one, but they stress the professional thing & mentioned it to me on the phone

User avatar
lula43

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby lula43 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:15 pm

us3rnam3 wrote:Did anyone upload a seat deposit waiver instead of an actual seat deposit?


That's what I did. I have no other documentation to provide. However I haven't even been interviewed :( So I'm probably not the best to speak on it.

beantheshadow

Bronze
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby beantheshadow » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Anybody who interviewed last week get accepted yet?

b3easy

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 am

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby b3easy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi guys, i'm a bit new to tls and and the law school process in general. I spoke with a law student last week and she suggested that I apply for an SEO internship for the summer.

I was mainly just wondering if it is too late to apply. I just saw this thread and saw that it outlined some of the deadlines. I'd love to have some of your thoughts.

Thanks

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:35 pm

b3easy wrote:Hi guys, i'm a bit new to tls and and the law school process in general. I spoke with a law student last week and she suggested that I apply for an SEO internship for the summer.

I was mainly just wondering if it is too late to apply. I just saw this thread and saw that it outlined some of the deadlines. I'd love to have some of your thoughts.

Thanks


The deadline was in mid-March :/

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Does anyone know when we will hear back about the scholarship?

20171lhopeful

Bronze
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby 20171lhopeful » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:42 pm

b3easy wrote:Hi guys, i'm a bit new to tls and and the law school process in general. I spoke with a law student last week and she suggested that I apply for an SEO internship for the summer.

I was mainly just wondering if it is too late to apply. I just saw this thread and saw that it outlined some of the deadlines. I'd love to have some of your thoughts.

Thanks


Are you enrolling in your first year of law school next year? If yes, the deadline has passed. If not, then you're ineligible. However, when you do apply to law school, then you can apply to SEO at the same time. More information here: http://www.seolaw.org/ Good Luck!

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby azaleafire » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:26 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:Do any of y'all also not have head shots? I'm stuck on the "professional" head shot thing..


I had a friend with an iPhone (they have a pretty nice camera) take a photo of me against a wall. I then used a passport photo app to adjust contrast/saturation and crop it to 2x2. Whole process took ~30 minutes including choosing shots and making my hair stop defying gravity because rain.

b3easy

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 am

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby b3easy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:37 pm

renc56 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Hi guys, i'm a bit new to tls and and the law school process in general. I spoke with a law student last week and she suggested that I apply for an SEO internship for the summer.

I was mainly just wondering if it is too late to apply. I just saw this thread and saw that it outlined some of the deadlines. I'd love to have some of your thoughts.

Thanks


The deadline was in mid-March :/


ahh I see :(

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? I'm currently working as a paralegal.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:40 pm

b3easy wrote:Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? .


if you can afford it, quit your job ASAP and relax. that's my recommendation

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby hammy393 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:43 pm

b3easy wrote:
renc56 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Hi guys, i'm a bit new to tls and and the law school process in general. I spoke with a law student last week and she suggested that I apply for an SEO internship for the summer.

I was mainly just wondering if it is too late to apply. I just saw this thread and saw that it outlined some of the deadlines. I'd love to have some of your thoughts.

Thanks


The deadline was in mid-March :/


ahh I see :(

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? I'm currently working as a paralegal.


SEO requires us to read this book ("Getting to Maybe") that's about preparing your mindset for law school exams. Have heard a ton of others recommend it: https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Maybe-Ex ... 0890897603

b3easy

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 am

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby b3easy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:43 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? .


if you can afford it, quit your job ASAP and relax. that's my recommendation


I can if I wanted, but idk I figured I should try and save some money to have to be able to spend while in school outside of tuition.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:46 pm

b3easy wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? .


if you can afford it, quit your job ASAP and relax. that's my recommendation


I can if I wanted, but idk I figured I should try and save some money to have to be able to spend while in school outside of tuition.


saving money is always good. but relaxing is better IMO

eli_1812

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 11:57 am

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby eli_1812 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:57 pm

69waystodie wrote:I tried calling back last night and again today but no response. Do you guys think it would be too forward to email asking about where/if I am placed? I'm leaving the East Coast on Sunday and would like to scope an apartment or two before I leave but I also don't want to be super annoying to the staff.



Also missed the call yesterday and tried to call back, no response. Called again today, no response. Left a message. Anyone else have any luck after a missed call?

us3rnam3

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby us3rnam3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 pm

b3easy wrote:
renc56 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Hi guys, i'm a bit new to tls and and the law school process in general. I spoke with a law student last week and she suggested that I apply for an SEO internship for the summer.

I was mainly just wondering if it is too late to apply. I just saw this thread and saw that it outlined some of the deadlines. I'd love to have some of your thoughts.

Thanks


The deadline was in mid-March :/


ahh I see :(

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? I'm currently working as a paralegal.


If you're a paralegal you are probably better prepared than a lot of your classmates, just keep doing what you're doing :)

b3easy

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 am

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby b3easy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:12 pm

us3rnam3 wrote:
b3easy wrote:
renc56 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Hi guys, i'm a bit new to tls and and the law school process in general. I spoke with a law student last week and she suggested that I apply for an SEO internship for the summer.

I was mainly just wondering if it is too late to apply. I just saw this thread and saw that it outlined some of the deadlines. I'd love to have some of your thoughts.

Thanks


The deadline was in mid-March :/


ahh I see :(

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? I'm currently working as a paralegal.


If you're a paralegal you are probably better prepared than a lot of your classmates, just keep doing what you're doing :)


Yeah, but i'm at a really small firm. I'd love to be working at one of the larger Biglaw firms.

69waystodie

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby 69waystodie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:16 pm

eli_1812 wrote:
69waystodie wrote:I tried calling back last night and again today but no response. Do you guys think it would be too forward to email asking about where/if I am placed? I'm leaving the East Coast on Sunday and would like to scope an apartment or two before I leave but I also don't want to be super annoying to the staff.



Also missed the call yesterday and tried to call back, no response. Called again today, no response. Left a message. Anyone else have any luck after a missed call?


The entire process seems incredibly unorganized, I'm really tempted to email. Any thoughts?

us3rnam3

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby us3rnam3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm

69waystodie wrote:
eli_1812 wrote:
69waystodie wrote:I tried calling back last night and again today but no response. Do you guys think it would be too forward to email asking about where/if I am placed? I'm leaving the East Coast on Sunday and would like to scope an apartment or two before I leave but I also don't want to be super annoying to the staff.



Also missed the call yesterday and tried to call back, no response. Called again today, no response. Left a message. Anyone else have any luck after a missed call?


The entire process seems incredibly unorganized, I'm really tempted to email. Any thoughts?


If they called and left a voicemail and you haven't been able to reach them in your attempts to call back then send an email simply stating that you received a voicemail and haven't been able to speak with anyone when you called back so you are reaching out this way.

Personally, I wouldn't ask where/if you were placed

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:32 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
b3easy wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? .


if you can afford it, quit your job ASAP and relax. that's my recommendation


I can if I wanted, but idk I figured I should try and save some money to have to be able to spend while in school outside of tuition.


saving money is always good. but relaxing is better IMO


I'm also a paralegal #woo and I want to quit my job so much (even though it's not a bad job or anything) that it's probably irritating my friends..

anyway - what I'm doing before law school = got a Hulu subscription and I'm going to watch EVERY episode of Law & Order SVU, might drive myself to the Grand Canyon, may try to live off next to nothing in Italy for a couple of weeks, make coffee plans with attorneys I don't know...maybe learn how to meditate...

texcellence

Bronze
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby texcellence » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:53 pm

renc56 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
b3easy wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? .


if you can afford it, quit your job ASAP and relax. that's my recommendation


I can if I wanted, but idk I figured I should try and save some money to have to be able to spend while in school outside of tuition.


saving money is always good. but relaxing is better IMO


I'm also a paralegal #woo and I want to quit my job so much (even though it's not a bad job or anything) that it's probably irritating my friends..

anyway - what I'm doing before law school = got a Hulu subscription and I'm going to watch EVERY episode of Law & Order SVU, might drive myself to the Grand Canyon, may try to live off next to nothing in Italy for a couple of weeks, make coffee plans with attorneys I don't know...maybe learn how to meditate...


if you're serious about that last point, i'd recommend the Headspace app! i used it extensively when I was studying for the LSAT and loved it. meditating is hard af but i imagine it'll be a very useful tool in school. i'm dying to quit my job, plz go to the GC and/or italy so i can live vicariously

User avatar
renc56

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby renc56 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm

texcellence wrote:
renc56 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
b3easy wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
b3easy wrote:Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I can maybe do before I start my 1L this fall? .


if you can afford it, quit your job ASAP and relax. that's my recommendation


I can if I wanted, but idk I figured I should try and save some money to have to be able to spend while in school outside of tuition.


saving money is always good. but relaxing is better IMO


I'm also a paralegal #woo and I want to quit my job so much (even though it's not a bad job or anything) that it's probably irritating my friends..

anyway - what I'm doing before law school = got a Hulu subscription and I'm going to watch EVERY episode of Law & Order SVU, might drive myself to the Grand Canyon, may try to live off next to nothing in Italy for a couple of weeks, make coffee plans with attorneys I don't know...maybe learn how to meditate...


if you're serious about that last point, i'd recommend the Headspace app! i used it extensively when I was studying for the LSAT and loved it. meditating is hard af but i imagine it'll be a very useful tool in school. i'm dying to quit my job, plz go to the GC and/or italy so i can live vicariously


duly noted!
haha I don't see Italy happening (maybe I just look at the pictures, eat some gnocchi, and cry into a glass of wine instead?) but if I go to the Grand Canyon, I'd post pictures.

lilitiger99

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby lilitiger99 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm

azaleafire wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:Do any of y'all also not have head shots? I'm stuck on the "professional" head shot thing..


I had a friend with an iPhone (they have a pretty nice camera) take a photo of me against a wall. I then used a passport photo app to adjust contrast/saturation and crop it to 2x2. Whole process took ~30 minutes including choosing shots and making my hair stop defying gravity because rain.


Haha yeah I just took mine with a Samsung 7S - I think it's camera is nicer than an iPhone. You can kind of tell it's not professional, but oh well. I'm in a suit and all so I hope it works. Edited it a lott

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby HarvardHopeful95 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:49 pm

eli_1812 wrote:
69waystodie wrote:I tried calling back last night and again today but no response. Do you guys think it would be too forward to email asking about where/if I am placed? I'm leaving the East Coast on Sunday and would like to scope an apartment or two before I leave but I also don't want to be super annoying to the staff.



Also missed the call yesterday and tried to call back, no response. Called again today, no response. Left a message. Anyone else have any luck after a missed call?


I missed her call on Friday and didn't get a call back until yesterday. Don't stress yourself, they aren't gonna reject you because you didn't answer your phone

runyc

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby runyc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:08 pm

69waystodie wrote:
eli_1812 wrote:
69waystodie wrote:I tried calling back last night and again today but no response. Do you guys think it would be too forward to email asking about where/if I am placed? I'm leaving the East Coast on Sunday and would like to scope an apartment or two before I leave but I also don't want to be super annoying to the staff.



Also missed the call yesterday and tried to call back, no response. Called again today, no response. Left a message. Anyone else have any luck after a missed call?


The entire process seems incredibly unorganized, I'm really tempted to email. Any thoughts?


Hi guys - I've been lurking the TLS boards but have never posted. I happen to have recently met the Director in person and know that she/they have been extremely busy trying to get all of the moving pieces in place in time for the summer. Van Ann seems really hard-working; I know that she's given up most of her weekends and evenings the past few months to do interviews and plan for the upcoming program. I don't think she would have done that if she had more time during the week.

Remember that they are (i) a non-profit and leanly-staffed (I got the sense that Van Ann does most of the work on her own), and (ii) she could be on the phone with other candidates when you're calling or, more likely, in other meetings during the day (which is probably why it seems like she's been calling early in the morning or later at night). She also mentioned that she's been meeting with a lot of their partner law firms, instructors, etc., in addition to meeting with students.

Just wanted to put another perspective out there since it seems like she's a really nice person, seems to work a lot and seems to really care about the program.

69waystodie

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: 2016-2017 SEO Corporate Law Applicants (Summer 2017)

Postby 69waystodie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:09 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:
eli_1812 wrote:
69waystodie wrote:I tried calling back last night and again today but no response. Do you guys think it would be too forward to email asking about where/if I am placed? I'm leaving the East Coast on Sunday and would like to scope an apartment or two before I leave but I also don't want to be super annoying to the staff.



Also missed the call yesterday and tried to call back, no response. Called again today, no response. Left a message. Anyone else have any luck after a missed call?


I missed her call on Friday and didn't get a call back until yesterday. Don't stress yourself, they aren't gonna reject you because you didn't answer your phone


I just don't understand why they can't send us an email with an acceptance, It makes the process waaaaay more stressful than it needs to be for everyone.
Last edited by 69waystodie on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests